PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded Forums

SirSteve
12-05-2003, 03:10 AM
I upgraded the forums and some things (like the header graphics) will be funky looking until I fix it tomorrow. Things will be moved around then as well. It's 3:00 am and I am tired...

Beast
12-05-2003, 03:19 AM
Well, it looks intresting. I'll give it that. Can't say that I like the 'Mark Foruns Read' button being deligated to a pop-up Quick Links button. But other then that, it looks ok. Going to take a lot of getting used to though. Sorta like the old look better. Hope once you get it the way you want, it won't be such a jarring change. :)

Beast
12-05-2003, 03:24 AM
Also just noticed, that the ability to edit the posts is now gone. Hope that's coming back soon. I do appreciate the upgrade, but the original version was a bit less jarring. It will just take a long time to get used to. :)

Pendo
12-05-2003, 03:51 AM
I kinda like it :). I agree that it will take a while of getting used to but it shouldn't take long :). I'll deffo need the edit posts section back, because my spelling is awful :rolleyes::p!

PENDO!

jjreason
12-05-2003, 03:54 AM
Change is good, in this case the "same old thing" feels new and fresh - much like when your girlfriend or wife gets a totally new haircut....... :D

Pendo
12-05-2003, 04:49 AM
The "There have been x new posts in y new threads since your last visit" thing has gone :(. Could you add that back on please SirSteve, I used that alot?

I like the way you brought back the minimise function on the sub-forums. Thatr's something that's been missing for a long time that I missed a lot :).

PENDO!

Exhaust Port
12-05-2003, 07:58 AM
Well change is good, it's just going to take a while to figure this thing out.

Exhaust Port
12-05-2003, 07:59 AM
How do we use the Reputation feature now? I don't see the button any more.

James Boba Fettfield
12-05-2003, 08:26 AM
Anybody else been getting Javascript errors everytime they open a new page on the forums?

Exhaust Port
12-05-2003, 08:55 AM
I'm not with Mozilla/Netscape.

Pendo
12-05-2003, 09:00 AM
How do we use the Reputation feature now? I don't see the button any more.
The reputation button is the tick and cross button.

Anybody else been getting Javascript errors everytime they open a new page on the forums?I'm not. e-mail SirSteve with the problem and explain exactly where it happens so he can narrow down the problem.

PENDO!

James Boba Fettfield
12-05-2003, 09:02 AM
Weird thing, I left to go check my order at buy.com and I come back and I'm not having any more problems.

What it was saying in the errors was something about errors on different lines, like each error was a different line number. Annoying, but it's good to see it's not happening right now.

[DSS]Pedr0
12-05-2003, 09:07 AM
I like the new look. Thanks SirSteve. :D

Jargo
12-05-2003, 09:13 AM
Steve just said at the startof the thread that the look will change. This isn't how it's going to end up being. Remember the last upgrade messed things up and Steve spent quite some time fixing things back.

All the features you mentioned are extra stuff Steve has to sort out, sometimes by writing code in. Takes time to do. It's pointless mailing Steve about stuff like edit post or reputations because doubtless he knows already and will work that stuff back into the forums in due course.

Patience padawans, patience. It is a virtue.

plo koon 200
12-05-2003, 11:35 AM
It is pretty good so far.

Exhaust Port
12-05-2003, 11:38 AM
The reputation button is the tick and cross button.
PENDO!
It's not working for me. When I click that button it moves the page back to the top but doesn't bring up the ol' reputation screen like it use to.

El Chuxter
12-05-2003, 01:08 PM
Is the search for posts since the last visit going to be added back as the new system is upgraded? Or maybe it's there already and I'm blind. :cool: (Ray Charles smiley)

SirSteve
12-05-2003, 01:15 PM
Is the search for posts since the last visit going to be added back as the new system is upgraded? Or maybe it's there already and I'm blind. :cool: (Ray Charles smiley)
"New Posts" in the nav bar at the top.

Beast
12-05-2003, 01:18 PM
El Chux, check the bar at the top. That had 'User CP' 'FAQ' 'Members List'. The 5th button over is the New Posts button. And there's also a pop-up window under quick links, that has the New Posts button and Mark Forums Read button. :)

Pendo
12-05-2003, 02:03 PM
It's not working for me. When I click that button it moves the page back to the top but doesn't bring up the ol' reputation screen like it use to.
Hmm, seems to be working for me. Perhaps Steve's fixed it since you posted.

PENDO!

Exhaust Port
12-05-2003, 02:18 PM
Still inop for me. It must be since I'm using Mozilla/Netscape.

Exhaust Port
12-05-2003, 02:19 PM
Oh and I forgot to add that I like that the user names are real big on each post now.

Dar' Argol
12-06-2003, 07:46 PM
Hmmm . . . I like it. Seems time for a new skin and banner. I really like the banner . . . . refreshing, clean, and new. I think the only think I don't like so far are the smilies . . I mean these :crazed: :happy: :frus: :evil: are all fine . . .but these :D :confused: :rolleyes: :mad: I don't like. I meant . . what the heck color are they anyways!?!?!?!

Exhaust Port
12-07-2003, 12:02 AM
The reputation feature is working for me now. One less bug needs to be squashed. :)

JediTricks
12-07-2003, 10:55 PM
The "There have been x new posts in y new threads since your last visit" thing has gone :(. Could you add that back on please SirSteve, I used that alot?Yeah, I miss that feature too.

I think the only think I don't like so far are the smilies . . I mean these :crazed: :happy: :frus: :evil: are all fine . . .but these :D :confused: :rolleyes: :mad: I don't like. I meant . . what the heck color are they anyways!?!?!?!Yeah, I don't get this ice-blue theme on over half our graphics either.

SirSteve
12-07-2003, 11:01 PM
One thing at a time... ice blue theme will change to the new SSG home page colors.

good shot jansen
12-09-2003, 10:25 AM
just my two cents

not particularly happy with the new smilies, i particularly miss the old eek! and roll eyes.

any chance we can get at least those two back?

vulcantouch
12-09-2003, 01:59 PM
and don't forget a nice, shrinkable (by choosing smallest text size) "printer friendly" thread option :D

JediTricks
12-09-2003, 10:43 PM
Print view is still here, it's under "Thread Tools" now. If you have a hi-tech browser, it's a pulldown, if you have an old browser, it's a text link near the bottom of the page.

The resizing thing is a little more complicated, but my lo-tech browser can handle it since it's not using Style Sheets.

good shot jansen
12-12-2003, 07:46 AM
the smilies are looking bettter :D

however, what happened to the pirate? even though i rarely used him, i always liked that he was there!

the new bug eye'd eek! is ok, i still like the old one better, i probably used the eek, more than anyother smilie.

SirSteve
12-12-2003, 10:09 AM
the smilies are looking bettter :D

however, what happened to the pirate? even though i rarely used him, i always liked that he was there!

the new bug eye'd eek! is ok, i still like the old one better, i probably used the eek, more than anyother smilie.
:Pirate:

This one?

good shot jansen
12-12-2003, 12:42 PM
:Pirate:

This one?

ahhhh, i just noticed the "more" button, ok i'm sold, the new smilies are fab!

thanx steve!

Dr Zoltar
12-12-2003, 01:30 PM
The new look is good, but the pages seem to be taking much longer to load in my browser than before -- 30 seconds each vs. almost instantly. I'm using Windows XP with IE 6 and am connected with a dedicated T1 line.

Exhaust Port
12-12-2003, 10:02 PM
I'm noticing that the page doesn't always fit in my screen now and requires side scolling even at 1024x768. In the advanced reply page it all fits in but when I'm viewing a thread it requries the side scrolling. Any chance of returning the advertisements to the top?

:beard::speech::ogre::alien::rambo::chinese:

PS: Love the new smiles!

PSS: Is it SMILES or SMILIES? Its spelled as smilies on the advanced page and never noticed what the proper spelling is.

SirSteve
12-13-2003, 12:35 AM
Nope. This was tested on both 800x600 and 1024x768. With 1024x768 using default windows settings, there is no horizontal scrolling. At 800, just the ads get covered up, which I don't think most people care about. Our stats show the majority of our users are at 1024x768 anyway. And proper spelling is "SMILIES"

Exhaust Port
12-13-2003, 01:16 AM
Then it must just be me as in 1024x768 I have horizontal scrolling. I'll double check for the default settings.

SirSteve
12-13-2003, 09:57 AM
Post a screen shot of your screen and I'll see if I can't help...

Exhaust Port
12-13-2003, 10:32 AM
Here's a screenshot which includes the browser window and the monitor settings panel.

[DSS]Pedr0
12-13-2003, 11:26 AM
Here's a screenshot which includes the browser window and the monitor settings panel.
Problem = Mozilla

SirSteve
12-13-2003, 04:06 PM
It's your end. It loads perfectly for me using Mozilla 1.5.

plasticfetish
12-14-2003, 04:18 AM
I'm noticing that the page doesn't always fit in my screen now and requires side scolling even at 1024x768.
You know what ... I know what he's talking about. Mine does it too. I'm looking at it with Netscape 7.1 (which I don't use most of the time) on an IBM right now, and it's horizontal scrolling at 1024x768.

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the header, which I don't think you've quite completed yet right? I don't get the horizontal scroll on the home page where the header is completed. (I don't get it with IE at all either.)

Hey Steve, why not just use that same header from the home page for the Forums also, but add a separate row for banners just below it? (Either way, it's looking good so far.)

Exhaust Port
12-14-2003, 10:16 PM
I concur. The main page is now fine but the thread view pages are still showing horizontal scroll. It seems to be the header.

EDIT: or perhaps certain advertisements as now the screens are all fine. could that be it?

[DSS]Pedr0
12-14-2003, 11:04 PM
How big is your monitor? Mine is a KDS 17" X Flat. I have my settings at 1152x864 using IE (6.1??) and have no difficulties with the pages.

JediTricks
12-14-2003, 11:49 PM
The new look is good, but the pages seem to be taking much longer to load in my browser than before -- 30 seconds each vs. almost instantly. I'm using Windows XP with IE 6 and am connected with a dedicated T1 line.Is anybody else having that issue?

I'm only on dial up, but getting the same problem. Even with thread view down to 5 posts and viewing only the last week's worth of threads, it's taking me a lot longer than the previous version (3.0.7 beta, I think) loading 10 posts per page and all the threads - possibly because these pages are bigger, the 5-per-page is 87k while the 10pp is 110k, nearly twice as big as the 10pp on the previous system.

plasticfetish
12-15-2003, 01:35 AM
Pedr0']How big is your monitor? Mine is a KDS 17" X Flat. I have my settings at 1152x864 using IE (6.1??) and have no difficulties with the pages.
The horizontal scroll thing is a Netscape issue ... doesn't do it with IE.

I've looked using a 19" monitor run at 800x600 as well as a 15" flat run at 1024x768 ... both using Netscape (6.1 and 7.1) and they both do strange horizontal scrolling things. It looks like ... in Netscape ... that the table area for forum stuff is sizing to full page width, and then the ad stuff is starting its own table off to the side. Netscape is simply far less forgiving when it comes to problems, bugs, etc. (Or rather ... it's simply a bug ridden mess of its own.)

A similar weird thing that's happening now, when that wide "Trading Card Game" ad pops up on the home page, it causes the page to load wrong. The right side ad table gets messed up and sizes itself really wide.

-----

JT - I've noticed a slight lag in load time (I'm on a cable line) but not much. I assumed it had something to do with Flash ads loading or something (my laptop is pretty old and Flash tends to load slowly.)

[DSS]Pedr0
12-15-2003, 01:42 AM
Is anybody else having that issue?

I'm only on dial up, but getting the same problem. Even with thread view down to 5 posts and viewing only the last week's worth of threads, it's taking me a lot longer than the previous version (3.0.7 beta, I think) loading 10 posts per page and all the threads - possibly because these pages are bigger, the 5-per-page is 87k while the 10pp is 110k, nearly twice as big as the 10pp on the previous system.
Nope, Cable line and the pages load immediatly for me

SirSteve
12-15-2003, 02:03 PM
Believe it or not... sometimes pages can load TOO FAST when using a broadband connection. I'll often get a page that something doesn't look right like broken image links or a wide table. With broken image links, I just right-click on it and select Show Images (in IE 6) then they show up. Other times, I just reload the page. Things like this is not an issue with the programming or anything that can be corrected. It is just the pages are loading too fast to render.

Exhaust Port
12-15-2003, 08:55 PM
I concur. The main page is now fine but the thread view pages are still showing horizontal scroll. It seems to be the header.

EDIT: or perhaps certain advertisements as now the screens are all fine. could that be it?
I'm thinking it must be something with the ads as a simple click to refresh the screen (there for changing the ad) gets rid of the horizontal scroll problem. Weird.

Darth Jax
12-15-2003, 11:35 PM
i use IE and have horizontal scroll bars on every page. not complaining, but it does/can happen with IE.

Exhaust Port
12-16-2003, 12:31 AM
Oh and I forgot to add that I like that the user names are real big on each post now.
Darn, the names have been shrunk back. I'd like to put a request in for the larger font.