PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars CMG from WotC in August 2004!

JediCole
12-05-2003, 01:41 PM
Okay, it's not a CCG, but I was not sure where CMGs like HeroClix were supposed to go.

It has just been announced that Wizards of the Coast will be producing a CMG (Collectible Miniatures Game) for Star Wars! Yes, it is true. If you love Mage Knight, HeroClix, Mech Warrior, or other similar CMGs and have always thought it would be cool to have a Star Wars game like that, your dream will be a reality in late 2004!

Scheduled for August release, the Star Wars CMG will feature 60 pre-painted figures of characters, aliens, droids, creatures, and vehicles all of which will be gleaned from the classic trilogy (Episodes IV-VI). There will be common, uncommon, rare, and super-rare figures in the randomly packed series. The game system will have Entry Packs (containing everything needed to play the game right out of the box) which will feature common to rare figures. Super-rare figures (along with common to rare figures) will only be available in the Expansion/Booster Packs. After the initial release, additional Expansions will be released (presumably introducing characters from Episodes I-III) to keep the game constantly refreshed (and collectors constantly on the hunt).

Black and white images of the package prototypes can be found at Creation Matrix (scroll down in the forums from the link below).
http://www.creationmatrix.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3058

This is great news for those of us who love Star Wars and HeroClix (or other CMGs). It is also bad news for our wallets come August!

Mandalorian Candidat
12-23-2003, 05:55 PM
Sounds like a neat idea, but I can guarantee it won't go anywhere. I see a small segment of SW into the TCG and absolutely have never seen one person play it anywhere outside of home (at card shops, the mall, etc.). People who are into CCGs seem to have ditched the SW game so I don't see how this would do any better.

Sidious696
03-25-2004, 09:46 AM
The Star Wars miniatures are meant to support the SWRPG(Star Wars Role Playing Game d20) the same as the Dungeons and Dragons miniatures are meant to support the DnD game.

Card Dreamer
03-27-2004, 01:54 AM
I love the detial on the figures done with this game and I like the concept of it. However, being WotC, it's going to suck. First, SW TCG sucks and I expect them to do no better here. I already don't lik their rarity system which has their coomon, uncommon, rare, super rare and ultra rare (or what have you) formula as well as half the set being exclusives to half a dozen different things.

It's just going to be a very easy way to eat at money beter off spent on figures...