PDA

View Full Version : Who fears a starwars remake?

mylow thehutt
12-06-2003, 10:18 AM
O.k I know this is a scary topic and I might get Banned for this, but with all these remakes comming out and the rumored Scarface remake,is anyone worried about a starwars remake like 30 years down the road,and I'm not talking about a Special edtion here I'm talking about all new cast all new all new diologe, and maybe a different ending for ROTJ to set up for a 7,8,9. People belive me when I say this isn't to far fetched,I mean how many Chainsaw masscure fans saw that remake comming? :dead:

Pendo
12-06-2003, 10:50 AM
I fear a Star Wars remake. It would be the worst thing in the history of cinema! However it would not happen, George would rather edit what's already out there rather than remake it from scratch!

PENDO!

plo koon 200
12-06-2003, 11:15 AM
I doubt we will ever have a remake but who knows. I really don't fear one because who knows what could be done thrity years down the road.

[DSS]Pedr0
12-06-2003, 12:19 PM
With modern effects, I wouls LOVE to see a new set of films.:crazed:

James Boba Fettfield
12-06-2003, 12:20 PM
Maybe for as long as Lucas is alive you won't see a remake, but what happens after he passes? The rights are going to be owned by someone, and in 30 years who knows what the rightsholder will do. One thing's for sure, it'll be the biggest remake done yet.

evenflow
12-06-2003, 01:15 PM
I have never thought about it, and i dont think it will happen.

Pendo
12-06-2003, 01:23 PM
Maybe for as long as Lucas is alive you won't see a remake, but what happens after he passes? The rights are going to be owned by someone, and in 30 years who knows what the rightsholder will do. One thing's for sure, it'll be the biggest remake done yet.
Lucas has said that after he's snuffed it all the rights to Star Wars will go to his children. I hope he brings them up well not to mess with things that don't need messing with :rolleyes:!

PENDO!

Kidhuman
12-06-2003, 01:27 PM
I hope and pray they dont muck with a SW remake. That would be the worst thing in history. I think with G. Lu, we dont have toworry about that. Just an added scene here and there. As if that is horrible in itself.

James Boba Fettfield
12-06-2003, 02:10 PM
Good point, Pendo. But anything can happen once those rights pass on. I hope, too, his children have enough smarts to leave it be and don't do anything stupid with the rights.

Exhaust Port
12-06-2003, 02:28 PM
Give it 50 years and it could happen.

Darth Jax
12-06-2003, 02:34 PM
by the time a star wars remake happens i'll be so senile i won't even remember the was a star wars (assuming i'm still breathing at the time), so it won't bother me. if it was to come directly on the heels of ep III, i'd be plenty angry. we've all endured a lot as fans of star wars, a remake would be the final straw. its bad enough that GL feels the need to continuously tinker with the films.

stillakid
12-06-2003, 10:24 PM
I think that it would be acceptable even now to declare George clinically insane and take the Prequels away from him. :D

I don't know, I think it could be interesting to see another take (visually) on the saga. The story is pretty basic, so it would be exceedingly easy to take that core idea and reconstruct it enough to be independently different yet similar enough to attract the same kind of audience. I wouldn't necessarily want someone to have a version using the same names of characters and such, but a derivative retelling could be worth the time.

I mean, look at it this way, this is essentially what George has done with the saga anyway. He's taken "old" material and updated it, and in some cases, not so subtley. What's the problem with someone else doing the same with Star Wars?

Darth Jax
12-06-2003, 10:55 PM
a frame for frame remake (ala psycho) by george or anyone else is a big no. a re-imagining or re-telling of the story isn't quite as frightening.

Jargo
12-07-2003, 12:17 AM
Frankly, I'd sooner he remade the original trilogy as a continuation from the prequels and had a seperate trilogy to mess with instead of continuing to mess with the originals all the time. Just start from scratch with all new actors and all new effects. There are segments he could use from the special editions and take those out of the original movies and restore the originals to their former glory and if he wants to have Greedo shoot first then do it in the sequels trilogy as the remakes would be known. Personally, I'd like to see a replaced Harrison Ford who has always annoyed me. I hate his drawling voice. And redoing Vader so he's actually an evil bar steward rather than a guy in black who can swish a cape well and make menacing fist shaking gestures.
I've stepped back from star wars and taken a really subjective look and the originals are what they are but they should be left that way for historical reasons. Making a new trilogy of the original one would be beneficial for the entire look of this added to semi complete CGI saga.
I was always perfectly content to come in where we do at ANH without all the pre-amble and boring exposition that the prequels have given us.
So i vote for fully restoring the original theatrical cuts of the original trilogy and remaking the trilogy for the CGI generation. Something for both sides of the generation and cultural gulf.

stillakid
12-07-2003, 04:29 PM
Frankly, I'd sooner he remade the original trilogy as a continuation from the prequels and had a seperate trilogy to mess with instead of continuing to mess with the originals all the time. Just start from scratch with all new actors and all new effects. There are segments he could use from the special editions and take those out of the original movies and restore the originals to their former glory and if he wants to have Greedo shoot first then do it in the sequels trilogy as the remakes would be known. Personally, I'd like to see a replaced Harrison Ford who has always annoyed me. I hate his drawling voice. And redoing Vader so he's actually an evil bar steward rather than a guy in black who can swish a cape well and make menacing fist shaking gestures.
I've stepped back from star wars and taken a really subjective look and the originals are what they are but they should be left that way for historical reasons. Making a new trilogy of the original one would be beneficial for the entire look of this added to semi complete CGI saga.
I was always perfectly content to come in where we do at ANH without all the pre-amble and boring exposition that the prequels have given us.
So i vote for fully restoring the original theatrical cuts of the original trilogy and remaking the trilogy for the CGI generation. Something for both sides of the generation and cultural gulf.

That's actually not a bad idea. As he obviously has no concern for his established continuity in the OT, he would be far better for him to simply "start over" and continue with this new story that he began with TPM. Then the later episodes wouldn't needlessly set up mystery and intrigue with elements that have already been exposed in earlier episodes.

plasticfetish
12-07-2003, 05:40 PM
"Who fears a Starwars remake?"

Well, they've already been remade to a certain degree, so it's pretty much over. I think chances are slim that it'd ever happen ... it could, and I'm not going to bet money on it, but I'd guess that it won't. More than likely, they'll simply move onto something new in the years to come. Something that's 100% CG, and Lucas won't have to struggle to direct human beings anymore ... he can simply leave it up to the animators to decide how the various characters will act.

tagmac
12-07-2003, 10:08 PM
It only took them 25 years to remake Battlestar Galactica - and they completely killed the entire concept. I hope this would never happen with the SW saga.

stillakid
12-07-2003, 10:41 PM
It only took them 25 years to remake Battlestar Galactica - and they completely killed the entire concept. I hope this would never happen with the SW saga.

:confused: How so? I haven't seen it and all I know is what I've read from interviews with the director, but while they've abandoned some of the continuity and other details of the original, it sounds like there is now more thought put into the origin of the Cylons and the ramifications for humanity. To me, anyway, this sounds better than a random chase through space "just because."

We'll see how it plays out tomorrow night and Tuesday. :)

darthzirock
12-07-2003, 11:58 PM
People believe me when I say this isn't too far-fetched, I mean how many Chainsaw Massacre fans saw that remake coming? :dead:

Actually, I anticipated a Chainsaw remake back when I was writing for the now-defunct Fandom.com. In a humor column called "News from the AlternaVerse" that was intended to be an ongoing series of faux news and interviews lampooning sci-fi, fantasy, and horror, the second one was called "They Came, They Conquered, They Saw!" (http://www.cinescape.com/0/Editorial.asp?aff_id=0&this_cat=News&action=page&obj_id=23726) Posted in August 2000, it told of a big studio remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Click on the link if you'd care to read it.

As far as remakes of the OT goes, I'm pretty sure I'll never live to see any. I think Lucas may very well either decide to go ahead and do Episodes VII-IX, or possibly even do a TV series now that special effects are cheap and easy to do (comparitively speaking). Once Lucas passes, I think the kids will do anything to squeeze the last penny from the franchise, including remakes, sequels to the sequels, prequels to the prequels, prequels to the sequels to the prequels, ad nauseum! :greedy: Eventually, just like Star Trek, the public will tire of it all, to the point where it will need to be retired for awhile. Then, like Dracula or Frankenstein, it'll poke out its head once again and be considered so old that its "new"--just like everything from the '50s was trotted out again in the '70s, and how everything '80s is being dragged out and considered "retro" now! :greedy:

scruffziller
12-08-2003, 08:12 AM
I definately fear it but if it came out, we would not resisit to go see it.:stupid:

bobafrett
12-09-2003, 01:15 AM
Well, I could see maybe 40 or 50 years down the line they redo the OT like they did with the Wizard of OZ. Luke, Han and Leia, would be played by black actors and Lando would be played by a white actor. Honestly though, I hope they never make a remake of these films during my lifetime.

BTW, I was watching Space Ghost the other night, and his guest was William Shatner. Shatner says some thing like "Star Wars and Star Trek are a lot alike" and space Ghost says "How are they alike?" and Bill replies "Space". I don't know, I thought it was funny at the time, but then I like Space Ghost.

scruffziller
12-09-2003, 08:06 AM
O.k I know this is a scary topic and I might get Banned for this, but with all these remakes comming out and the rumored Scarface remake,is anyone worried about a starwars remake like 30 years down the road,and I'm not talking about a Special edtion here I'm talking about all new cast all new all new diologe, and maybe a different ending for ROTJ to set up for a 7,8,9. People belive me when I say this isn't to far fetched,I mean how many Chainsaw masscure fans saw that remake comming? :dead:
Yea and if they do. You know Hayden Christensen will have DV face at the end of ROTJ.

Hugh Jackman as Solo.......:p

CropDuster
01-04-2004, 01:41 AM
I don't think we should give Georgey any ideas... next thing you know he'll remake the OT and you won't be able to buy it anywhere, and even worse he'll remake it with a bunch of hideously fake and annoying characters like meesajarjarbinks! :eek:

browndroid
01-10-2004, 03:37 AM
i havent really thought about that. i dont think it would b that bad, it depends on how they did it. i mean, after ep3 whats left? i doubt george will make a 789 so who knows.