PDA

View Full Version : Totally unacceptable....

Emperor Howdy
12-03-2001, 03:06 AM
....now, I realize we all saw it coming a million miles away: Beatles (or specifically George Harrison) items on Ebay in the wake of G.H.'s death.......but has anybody actually gone on and LOOKED at this stuff yet? It's terrible. "Rare 1963 PlayPal George Harrison doll".....it's a COMPLETE fake...and never existed. "Rare George Harrison Look-alike Doll"....some dumb home-made sweater sewn on a babydoll with fake hair and a mustache drawn on it...for $100, no less....it's unreal...please go look at it. I've always been a huge fan of the Beatles....I'm sure most of us are....or can atleast appreciate the impact they had (and have) on music......but these utter morons selling bogus and worthless patties of poo on Ebay are as disrespectful and disgraceful as the horse's third-eyes selling debris from the World Trade Center. I'm going to email some of the sellers....and believe me when I tell you I'm going to......along with a verbal lashing unrestrained by the walls of censored text......:evil:

LTBasker
12-03-2001, 03:32 AM
Yeah, I hate people just like that. It's like when Alec Guiness died, never did an autograph of his on a SW item EVER come up, but then a little after he died, items starting popping up, not many, but some did. Same goes for Dale Earnhardt of NASCAR, before he died, everyone on ebay would just put it up for what it was going for then and stuff, but then when he died in a crash, auctions starting popping up with reserves well over what the item is actually worth and they would say like "he's dead now and you can own one of these for just $XXXXXX before they're impossible to find!"

About the world trade center stuff, Ebay actually banned all items regarding the WTC stuff, even newspapers with news on it.

I personally wasn't a fan of their music, but geez, what those people are doing is pathetic. :Pirate:

EDIT: I just looked at the auction, it's definitely what you said. no papers or numbers? no others on ebay? It looks like the baby from the second Addams Family movie. The seller is actually doing something illegal I think. Oh yeah, FRAUD. I wonder what Ebay would think of that...

JediCole
12-03-2001, 03:09 PM
Personally, though I disagree with those who sell these bogus items, such a situation begs the question of "which is worse?". In all honesty, are the people selling this stuff any worse, in the long run, than those bidding on it? This pertains especially to the WTC rubble. That ANYONE would be willing to bid on this garbage speaks ill for collectors of ANYTHING. There is an alarming trend that began in the tail end of the 20th century when "collectable inflation" set in, and it has in the past, and will in the future, ruin entire genres of collectables.
For those of you who were collecting comics in the mid 1980's, you may recall the greedy rush to buy up "hot" comics. The self-important price guides and money grubbing dealers who drove that industry to new heights, then, by the 90's, drove it straight into the ground. I worked very close to that industry in the late 80's through the 90's and saw what it did to people and the hobby. The same behaviours have crept into the toy collecting hobby today. So it is no surprise, especially in this "Golden Age" of collectin (that is driven by QVC-based and type collector's item segments, internet scalpers, and the misinterpretation of legitimate shows like the Antiques Road Show), that people are scrambling to get in on any "rare" items they can scrounge, in the misbegotten perception that they can retire or put their kids through college on the proceeds of a future sale.
As I said, I worked in the comic industry for many years. I've also been a dealer at comic shows (when they still had them down here, and I could afford to sell at them) and the one question I was asked more than any other is the infamous, "What is this worth?"! My answer was, is, and shall always be, "Whatever someone else is willing to pay you for it". I still sell at toy shows in this area, and Sith Worm can attest to the fact that I am much hated by many other dealers (Sith Worm was a long time customer of mine turned good friend) because of my attitudes about pricing, the inaccuracy and uselessness of price guides, and my advising of others on how to collect without getting burned. But most people don't ask that question, they have been spoon-fed the idea that anything collectable or valuable today will be that much more valuable tomorrow. My favorite example of this kind of blind collecting occured at a toy show about eight months before the release of the Episode I action figures. One of the dealers had managed to secure a few of these figures, not salesman's samples, nothing special, just the same old figures that would be glutting every store in less than a year. I watched as a patron of the show payed the man $100.00 for an Episode I C-3PO! I remarked at the time (a remark made only the more biting by the reality of the retail glut that followed) that this was the only time that figure would be worth $100.00 to anyone, anywhere, ever!
So while I do not condone the actions of the perveyours of "instant collectables", I think that anyone foolish enough to bid on such items has no one to blame but themselves. Collecting of any premium item must be approached with due diligence.

Emperor Howdy
12-04-2001, 01:41 AM
I agree, LT...and a great point, JediCole....and hey, I didn't know you were a comic! (drum roll...followed by several tomatoes...then of course....crickets..."fleep-fleep fleep-fleep fleep-fleep") :eek:

GNT
12-04-2001, 03:12 AM
People who sell stuff on Ebay after someones death or a tragety(WTC) have NO RESPECT in anyway for the person(s) who died,their only in it for peices of paper with numbers on it! I think lives are more important than numbers on paper!burn!!!!!

Emperor Howdy
12-04-2001, 09:57 PM
Hey! I feel......hmmm.....somewhat purified! (Well....let's not blow things out of proportion..)....but I think I got one of those losers on Ebay to drop an item. I sent a very....err...."descriptive" letter to the guy selling that ridiculous "Look-alike doll". Basically I said (We'll shorten and clean-up the actual text for the SirSteve's circle) that people will sell anything for a buck, that his embarrassing failure to achieve one bid makes me and his mother quite happy, and that he should throw the piece of c.r.a.p. in the garbage. I wrote that last night, and low and behold look what happened today:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1304818676

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D YES!!!! I hope the guilt and abuse ate them alive!

GNT
12-05-2001, 01:18 AM
The seller ended this listing early because the item was lost or broken

Yeah sure thing!!! :rolleyes: Very nice job Emperor Howdy,I am very proud of you :)

Obi-Don
12-06-2001, 07:59 PM
It is very sad when people try to make money off a sad event. Makes me sick.To those who do this[YOU SUCK]:mad:

El Chuxter
12-07-2001, 01:26 PM
Just out of curiosity, I stopped by half.com--you know, the site that advertised heavily on TV that it sold used items for half retail price or less, then was bought out by eBay and (surprise, surprise) that changed really quick. Looked up two out-of-print CDs by the late GH that were generating little or no interest a few weeks ago.

Cloud Nine, released in 1987 or 1988 and featuring the inexplicably unavailable "I've Got My Mind Set On You" -- cheapest used price: $39.99

Best of Dark Horse, a compilation of (I think) all later stuff -- cheapest used price: $29.00

People suck! I hope that Harrison's estate brings these back into print soon, since the average Joe is a leech willing to grab up anything by a dead person, crushing any market for such scalpers.

jedi master sal
12-07-2001, 01:38 PM
Good Job EH,

That was the poorest excuse for a Celeb doll that I have ever seen.

Good lookin out!

Now if we could take care of the SW scalpers............