PDA

View Full Version : After 2007, would you buy Hasbro SW figures if they changed the size?

Tycho
12-08-2003, 12:57 AM
With the strong Classic Star Wars lineup slated for 2004, now either confirmed or rumored to include a vast majority of figures Original Trilogy fans have wanted forever, but were never made before, we look ahead to what the future may hold. Hasbro has the license to do Star Wars action figures until 2018. But by 2008, almost every conceivable background character from all 6 movies could be released, and the 15-20 core characters could only be resculpted or re-released to keep the line alive by drawing in new fans. One possibility is that Hasbro will turn towards higher detail, larger action figures, closer to ArtAsylum's type of products. So:

After 2007, would you buy Hasbro SW figures if they changed the size?

JediTricks
12-08-2003, 03:35 AM
I said yes, but I'd only get core characters and very few prequel ones at that. I've always wanted to see a highly-articulated, neutral-posed, heavily-accessoried series of core SW characters at the 7" height, like the new Mattel Batman line or the Art Asylum Trek line (these are reference to height, neither of which has the articulation or accessories I'd be hoping for with a SW line).

JCPZero
12-08-2003, 12:06 PM
I don't know. I barely have space for the smaller figures! If they changed the figure size it would be a good opportunity to stop collecting - especially as I would have all of the characters.

JCPZero

JediBoulton
12-08-2003, 12:11 PM
3 3/4 figures have always been the favorite. They are more accesserable, they are easier for little children to play with. 3 3/4 size figures are easier to fit into ships and playsets -- possibalities are endless -- it is just a good size. Everyone else has gone to the bigger figure and personnaly, I cant stand them. There is no good articulation (if any) and the makers get lazy on the detail when they are this big. 3 3/4 forever!!!

Darth Jax
12-08-2003, 12:16 PM
i've enjoyed the unleashed line, but they're not toys simply statues. if you could incorporate articulation with that degree of detail then i'd get them all. if the detail and accessories was no better than the 12" line it would be difficult to collect.

Jaff
12-08-2003, 12:48 PM
I honestly would not feel like I would be collecting SW figures if they were not 3 3/4 or 12", besides I am not interested in recollecting every figure they have made to date which would be hundreds upon hundreds of characters. Financially that would be very stupid for anyone unless they were starting from scratch!

skeeziks22
12-08-2003, 12:57 PM
I think a lot of collectors are looking for a reason to stop collecting. Changing the size would be that reason. I would feel like I had a complete collection if I could get all the 3 3/4 inch figures. That combined with no new movies and I think the line would die very shortly after changing the size of the figures.

The newer figures have an amazing amount of articulation and detail... making them larger would be adding yet another size of SW figures. The 12 inch line does alright... the unleashed line does well because they are limited and statue-like and super-detailed... but remember the failed 6 inch line on those rotating stands. Granted those weren't too poseable. The smaller figures are still the best selling, and Hasbro should stick with this size or else they may lose half of their buyers.

I've never bought figures other than the 3 3/4" and likely would not buy them if they changed the size... but who knows, my "need" for SW figures may linger, but likely only if they did new figures... and not just re-makes of the 3 3/4" line. With as many OT main character figures they are releasing this year, I find it very hard to believe that by 2007 they could have covered ALL the background characters in all 6 movies. They put out like 60 figures a year (including the deluxe and pack-ins)... and I'd say at least 20-25 are main characters, no way could they do all the background characters by then.

That being said, I think a larger line could fly if there was something it tied to, like a Young Jedi Knights tv series. This would give new figures to make, plus would keep the idea of SW fresh in our minds... they, of course, could and likely would include movies figures in here.

Tycho
12-08-2003, 01:09 PM
I'm not sure how I'd really respond.

By 2007, we should have at least 1 version of every Classic Character to be seen on screen - including all the cantina and Jabba guys. The Prequel figures could be well very close to being complete, too - with Jedi, Senators, Podracers, and background characters like the chubba-seller (Gragga, Swokes Swokes) all being done.

If the movies are all sourced-out, how many of you will buy Talon Karrde, Grand Admiral Palleon, Noghri, Yuuzhan Vong, and Jaina Solo figures (i.e. Jaina as apprentice, Jaina as Pilot, Jaina as Jedi Knight)?

If Han, Luke, and Leia are your favorites, how many resculpts of them could you buy? Han wears a white shirt and either a blue jacket or a black vest, right? We can try soft-goods again... new carbonite block features... new trench coats - or after Chewie dies, Han wears all black - his shirt a dark charcoal, his pants black leather, his jacket dark black - or he requires an emergency environmental suit, which might be a bright neon yellow or orange. Leia wears one too and has to shave her head for a while, then adopts a short hairstyle as it grows back (due to lice and bio-contamination in the refugee camps). Would you buy an "Alien 3" Princess Leia? If not, how badly do you want 6 different versions of Bespin Leia, Slave Leia, ANH Leia, Ceremony Leia, etc. etc.? There would be nothing different about these figures, right? Meanwhile the new EU versions would have to be "aged" appropriately - such as Leia, 45 years old, versus 23 or younger, as all of the figures we have of her are.

Now beyond that, figures without the recognizeable heroes are not going to sell. My Wal-Mart has a ton of Teemto Pegules, Lott Dodd, Tusken w. Massif, Taun We, etc. IF YOU NEVER HAD COLLECTED SW, WOULD YOU GO AND BUY YOURSELF OR YOUR KID "The Adventures of the Amazing Tuan We?" or "The Adventures of The Amazing Spider-Man?" Obviously choice 2 -but "The Adventures of Luke Skywalker" sound a lot more appealing right?

Well then, in some version or another, that we ALREADY HAVE A FIGURE OF, we have to have Luke Skywalker annually released on the racks.

How?

1) re-release
2) resculpt of figure we already have
3) Expanded Universe, such as 45 year old Jedi Master, New Jedi Order
4) change the size, super-detailed, super articulated, 7" Luke Tatooine all over again.

I would first want the EU, because I love the comics and books, and having Star Wars "go on." Then Luke as a Jedi Master, Han in EV Suit, etc. could make it to the racks along with a chance to army build with the Yuuzhan Vong. I'd continue collecting and making dioramas as usual, so I voted "NO" for the size change.

However, I think like JEDITRICKS said, that there's the potential they could make the most awesome Luke Tatooine ever, with all his accessories he'd ever need, great likeness to Mark Hamill, and so-on. I can't say that I wouldn't be tempted to get a few. But that's the same rationale that hooked me into getting the 12" line, and that's been sometimes very satisfying, but in all honesty, a very bumpy road (Plo Koon shortages. Yoda and the Ewoks MIA. Figures like the new Han Solo turning out awful, etc.)

Plus I buy the Unleashed to get "expressive displays" of Star Wars' passion in action.

So I don't know if I'd buy the new size at all, though I see it as a very logical way for Hasbro to go in order to stick to the traditional line, and still retain all their "general fan customers" who may not have read "The Final Prophesy," and recognize action figures based on that (as cool as a Tahiri Veila 3 3/4" figure would be!)

But anyway, thinking ahead about these issues - that's what this poll is all about.

Darth Spectre
12-08-2003, 01:17 PM
Personally, I have been turned off by the difficulty of finding new figures over the past two years. I like the Unleashed line also, and now you can find Han, Yoda & Boba everywhere, but I have never seen Mace, Obi-Wan, Sidious or Dooku anywhere in stores. I had pretty much a complete set of figures from 1995 until about last year. Now, with the constant resculpts and difficulty in finding figures, I find my interest in collecting waivering. I have even passed up on some figures that aren't easy to find just because it (collecting) has lost its luster somewhat. I used to love looking for new stuff, the thrill of the hunt if you will, but the lack of success has just kinda turned me off. Maybe it's just me.

JediBoulton
12-08-2003, 01:43 PM
If HASBRO is going to change the size -- DONT make the change till AFTER EPIII is complete. I do not think any of us would like to have 7" EPIII figures when EP 1-V are all 3 3/4 inch -- this would be a VERY AWKARD move on the part of HASBRO -- and I hope they do NOT do something that stupid!!!

Darth Spectre
12-08-2003, 01:48 PM
Am sure they won't do any size change until after the new trilogy is completed.

plasticfetish
12-08-2003, 01:52 PM
I said yes, but I really think that they should have been doing something like what JediTricks mentioned, a detailed and articulated 7" figure, instead of the Unleashed line anyway. Ultimately, I'd approach it in the same way that I'm looking at the Art Asylum Trek line ... I might pick up one or two of the core characters, but there's little reason for me to shift gears from collecting what I've been collecting for so many years. The 3 3/4" line has such a long history. As a 35 year old guy with a bunch of his original SW toys up on the top shelf of his collection, I'd probably have to see it and really be impressed by the toy's overall quality before I spend the money. Otherwise, I'll just focus on collecting vintage or something else instead.

skeeziks22
12-08-2003, 01:54 PM
I don't see them changing the size until most every figure has been made... especially since EIII has not come out yet.

I have been asking for more EU figures since the last release of EU figures, including Thrawn, came out. If secondary markets are any indication (which can be a tricky thing sometimes) the EU figures are highly sought after indicating that new EU figures would sell well. They are making EU figures of the clone wars even going so far as doing the cartoon style figures... why not pay homage to the books, especially with so many great characters. Including the main characters would make this a success I think. I would love to see a two pack of Chewie saving Anakin as Chewie's last heroic act ala the 25th ann. two-packs!

As far as collecting... it has gotten to the point that if you aren't at the stores everyday you may miss the one case of a certain wave that Wal-Mart gets. That is time consuming, frustrating, and a major downer when you find the one figure you've been looking for and the package is damaged. I've resorted to a lot of on-line shopping, but it just isn't as fun.

Mandalorian Candidat
12-08-2003, 03:33 PM
I think I'd stop collecting if they went to a bigger (or smaller) size. The scale right now is just right. Changing it wouldn't necessarily fix many of the problems that the figures now have (too bendable, difficult to stand, plus the whole distribution problem) and I would get too turned off to continue.

Lobito
12-08-2003, 03:45 PM
No, it just wouldnt be the same...and we will have to start all over again...let them remain in 3"3/4.

steeltormentor1777
12-08-2003, 05:18 PM
I would definitely quit, I have no room for bigger packages!!! Bigger toys mean bigger prices.. hard to keep up as it is!! Hasblow, go ahead please make something that doesn't follow the traditional 3 3/4 size figures, I want out anyway! c..c..caaan't ssstopp bububuying!!! The Pain!!! AAHAHH!!!! Anyone want to buy a nearly ALL mint/near mint lot of almost eveything since 95? $15,000... please? pretty please with bugers on it?

Masterdorkboy
12-08-2003, 05:19 PM
I also have found it virtually impossible to find any new figures in any stores in my area, and if they changed the sizes I would simply stop collecing. It is hard enough to find the current sizes, and that has pushed me to just about stop collecting altogether. It seems all the stores have four or six pegs for figures, which are empty, and about ten lightsabers in completely crushed boxes with maybe one or two 12" figures if you're lucky.

I am Jabba the Hutt
12-08-2003, 07:41 PM
I certainly would. Hell, the bigger they'd be, the better likeness. I love the way the are now but I'm such a fan of Star Wars, I'll buy anything! :D

Turbowars
12-09-2003, 12:06 AM
I voted for the last one. I can dream can't I?:rolleyes:

JediTricks
12-09-2003, 02:23 AM
Not to be insulting Tycho, but I wouldn't judge this issues just on your opinion, you almost never buy new versions of figures no matter what, so if you have a POTF2 Lando (or 80 of 'em for all yer dioramas ;)) then you'll never buy a POTJ version unless you come up with another diorama.

Oh, and I'd buy a few 4" EU figs, mostly Zahn trilogy and Dark Forces/JK game stuff, but only if the sculpting was better than Hasbro's previous EU figures. EU doesn't have anywhere near the draw of the CT though, so Hasbro would be nuts to not have regular non-geezer Lukes out there. An EU line just wouldn't have the teeth to survive without a movie line (and almost certainly a CT one at that).

In a 7" line, here's the stuff I'd be sold on for sure (this is a line they'd REALLY have to go full-gusto for though):

Ep 1 Obi-Wan (w/ removable robe, communicator, lightsaber w/ removable blade that attaches to belt)
Maul (w/ removable robe, lightsaber w/ removable blades that attaches to belt and cuts in half, binoculars, control cuff, probe)
Qui-Gon (removable robe, lightsaber, comm, stab thru gut gimmick :D)
Battle droid (removable backpack, gun, transformable)
Destroyer Droid (transformable, removable shield)
Ep 2 Obi-Wan (robe, saber, kamino dart)
Ep 2 Anakin (robe, saber, removable arm, robotic arm)
Ep 2 factory Padme (gun, removable shall, battle droid gun)
Jango Fett (both backpacks, twin guns, wrist rope, decapitate action, separate non-helmeted head w/ removable Slave 1 piloting headset)
Dooku (removable cape, lightsaber w/ removable blade, Darth Sidious)
R2 (mega doors, arms, jets, lightsaber launching feature, drink tray, light up correct eye, holo Leia, the works)
C-3PO (removable gold plating, removable limbs, ewok throne, light up eyes, talking feature, mesh bag for Chewie)
Luke Tatooine (poncho, electro binocs, rifle, father's saber, stormy belt & gun)
Ep 4 Obi-Wan (robe, saber, blastshield helmet, training ball, separate "you don't need to see his identification" mind trick hand)
Jawa, R5, Gonk pack (jawa ion pistol, restraining bolt, bolt controller, light-up eyes, talking gonk, bad-motivator action on R5-D4)
Han Solo (blaster w/ holster, stormy belt & rifle, removable headset, Falcon pilot chair)
Chewie (removable bandolier, bowcaster, imperial cuffs, mouse droid, welding gogs & tools)
Ep 4 Princess Leia (removable hood, sporting blaster, stormy blaster, Luke & Han's medals)
Luke pilot (w/ removable hoth overjacket, saber, grenade, grappling gun, X-wing control stick)
Hoth Luke (removable goggles, saber, wampa arm, Obi-Wan spirit)
Hoth Leia (stormy blaster, removable vest, separate Bespin hands & head)
Snowtrooper (stormy blaster, e-web cannon, Hoth Rebel Soldier)
Ep 5/6 Han (removable jacket, removable vest, removable ROTJ trenchcoat, blaster pistol, charges)
Bespin Luke (removable hand, separate "battered" head, blaster w/ holster, saber, Yoda)
Lando (removable cape, 2 stormy blasters, Lobot)
Boba Fett (blaster rifle, Han in carbonite block, wrist rope, shoulder cape)
IG-88 (w/ weapons & Zuckuss)
Bossk (w/ weapons & Dengar)
4-LOM, R4 droid, 2-1B (w/ rifle, prosthetic Luke arm w/ opening doors, light up feature)
Leia as Boushh (removable helmet, thermal detonator, rifle weapon, chain for Chewie's neck... dare I say it? Separate Slave Leia figure)
Gammorean Guard (vibro axe, Bib Fortuna)
Jedi Luke (cloak, removable vest, Endor poncho, open flap on tunic, saber, cuffs, 3 separate hands - regular, damaged, gloved)
ROTJ Leia (removable helmet, blaster w/ holster, poncho, speederbike)
Emperor (cane, separate "evil" head & lightning hands, lightning, Royal Guard)
Grand Moff Tarkin (w/ separate heads for Piett & Jerjerrod, Imperial interrogator droid)
Scout Trooper (blaster w/ holster, speederbike)
Stormtrooper (blaster, rifle, Tatooine rifle & backpack, removable shoulder pauldron, electrobinocs, separate Luke & Han heads w/ helmets)
Darth Vader (lightsaber, removable hand, removable helmet, separate Emp-blasting see-through helmet w/ glowing skull, holo-pad to kneel on)

Anakin Palpatine
12-09-2003, 04:38 AM
Keep them the same but more articulate. How does Hasbro make one group of figures (i.e. G.I. Joe) with so much mobility and star wars with such a lack there of. I just don't get it. Keep them the same size but make them exciting to play with, let we the consumer/collector pose them the way we want to display them. Han endor comes to mind. I understand that original Star Wars figures we made to be played with like they were robots, but the technology is available and Hasbro has it but needs to let the Star Wars universe get a little taste. At least they are starting to get it with the clone troopers. Hasbro is more frustrating then Ewoks competing in track and field events! :crazed:

Tycho
12-09-2003, 05:01 AM
With figures like JT's suggesting, they'd be really tempting and much better than the 12" line.

Sounds like a mix of softgoods and plastic stuff.

Also sounds good!

I'd probably start over again - and open them, but maybe not do dioramas or continue to collect in the quantities that I so often do.

The price points on figures like this would be $10-20, more likely on the higher end of the scale.

I'd have to say they'd be really tempting. Some very creative ideas with heads and hands you've got going on there JediTricks. I'm ready for them to hire you to work on this line!

Darth Jade
12-09-2003, 11:27 AM
I think I'd give up myself. I mean as of now I collect almost every 3" 3/4" figure made and to have to start all over would be insane. When would I put them. As it is the ones I have now take up all display space in my den. And the cost. I mean as it is a new figure now costs 4.00 to 7.00 bucks. What would they charge for a 7 inch figure. 10 bucks. Who can afford to collect that whole series?
I think they should make cartoons of the novels. Start with Zahn's and move forward. That would make fans aware of characters such as Mara Jade (so maybe we will get a sculpt of her that doesn't look as retarded as the one we have now). I mean A kyp figure would be great. And Corran Horn, the Solo kids, Jag Fel. The possibilites are endless but for some reason Lucas doesn't employee people that are very good at marketing SW to it's fullest potential. It is the people like us that even keep SW alive and we barely get the figures we ask for as it is. GL and crew need to wake up and realize that there is so much more SW that could be done. And then do it right.

stillakid
12-09-2003, 12:01 PM
I vote to keep the figures as they are. I might buy larger versions if, and that's a big if, they looked really good. The precedent with larger scale Star Wars figures hasn't been very good. Most of the 12" line looked so incredibly bad, that I didn't bother ever buying one until the excellent Speeder Bike with Biker Scout came out. The UnLeashed line, for the most part, is okay, but still a little over the top (by design). There were those larger scale figures (around 8 or 10 inches or so) that came on a rotating pedestal that were just okay. I bought the Boba Fett because he looked kinda cool, but that was it.

I do have some larger figures as you describe (Danger Girl, a couple figures from the Spawn line, Twisted Land of OZ set, The Tick) but they take up a significant amount of space and act more like set pieces or statues than anything else. Not that there is anything wrong with that (afterall, I have them), but Star Wars is such a large universe, to even contemplate collecting even a small fraction of the characters in that scale is overwhelming. Besides which, it would be nearly impossible to set up any kind of diorama displays or to hope for scaled ships or playsets to accompany them.

Tycho
12-09-2003, 02:24 PM
Oh, I would NOT see them making ANY ships or playsets to accompany these figures.

These would be fully poseable figures, unlike the Epic Force or Unleashed Figures, but similar in size.

They would be plastic, not wearing softgoods like the 12", except in the cases of robes and removeable articles of clothing (like JediTricks suggested) to help them change wardrobes (Han's vest or trench coat or Bespin jacket, etc. - versus buying 3 different Han figures like we do now).

At this point, all of you would have EVERY 3 3/4" character seen on the screens in any SW movie, and every vehicle conceivable (for sales) - like the Sith Infiltrator and Gungan Sub, etc.

ANY NEW 3 3/4" PRODUCT YOU COULD BUY, WOULD BE A RESCULPT OR RE-RELEASE OF SOMETHING YOU ALREADY HAD.

So they change the size, and they present the figures as higher-end nostalgic collectables, the way the James Bond or Dukes of Hazzard figures have been presented - or ArtAsylum's Star Trek ones.

They will be fully poseable however, and not cheaply made in assembly and durability like McFarlane's stuff. It will be more solid like ArtAsylum's Trek line.

Hasbro would likely never redo every character in the line. Just the major ones, sort of like how Unleashed was released, with a little more flexability for characters like Tarkin, who likely won't get "Unleashed." So in other words, you'll never see the Imperial Dignitaries done at that size, nor Wuher.

In any case, I might buy these. They could turn out to be awesome. I imagine we'd only get 15-20 per year, too. Not 50 like the 3 3/4" put out.

But I VOTED NO, because I want the EU to be treated right, and have tons of 3 3/4" figures like Jagged Fel and the Yuuzhan Vong and Jacen Solo with possibly even vehicles like Coral Skippers being made to fight the X-wings.

Then I might even assemble a new Rebel Fleet. Imagine getting your hands on a K-Wing Bomber toy! (Look that up in the NEW ESSENTIAL GUIDE TO VEHICLES and then tell me you don't want a toy of THAT! - this ship so rocks! It's like the B-52 of the SW galaxy!)

Anyway, staying with 3 3/4" EU and some re-releases seems to me to be the way to go. Hasbro can do Fans' Choice Polls to see what novels to treat (New Jedi Order, Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter, and which ones to skip - Children of the Jedi; The New Rebellion, etc.)

jedi master sal
12-09-2003, 05:23 PM
Not just no, but an emphatic HELL NO!

I've got way to much time and money invested into the 3 3/4 line as wel as the 12inch line. Not to mention the Action Fleet/Micro Machines lines, Epic Force and now Unleashed.

I feel this was irresponsible to even put this out there.

Hasbro might get the "bright" idea that we want these.

I DO NOT!

And I know myself enough to say that I would fight the urge hard but then there would be that one that just looked to damned cool to pass up and I'd have to buy it. Then I'd be faced with having to go back and find all of the ones I passed up before.

NO WAY!

3 3/4 forever!

Man, why you even put this out there. As if there isn't enough to collect already. AND different sizes to boot. Enough already please. I'm really hoping to stop collecting when I'm 40 and that's just 5 1/2 years away for me. I'm really looking forward to the day when I stop collecting and can concetrate my time and money elsewhere. Dioramas, owning a home... and so on. I'll always love Star Wars, but I don't have to collect forever to prove it.

Apologies if I seemed over the top, I just wanted to make my point perfectly clear.

One final note, when Star Wars or at least the toys dies off, will you be prepared? What if this other line was started but never finished due to lack of interest? Wouldn't you be very disappointed that not all of the characters where made. We are quite lucky at this point that we have as many background characters that we do. Finish the 3 3/4 inch line. Make alot of the EU figs in the 3 3/4 scale. By the time that's all said and done, Star Wars will diminish in it's popularity. No not of course with us, but you only need look at history to see that it WILL happen. After RotJ came out, SW was only on the top for a couple of years after that release. Then we went into what many of us call the "Dark Times". The toys had stopped being produced, no more movies were on the horizon. Indeed we all had thought that Star Wars was done. And though it left a mark on society would never reclaim the fame and glory it once held. With the prequels, SW came back to the forefront. I fear that if the toys went in this direction after EPIII, it would be deemed a farce just to keep the toy line alive, instead of the integrity of the movies from which all of the toys came about.

I'll always love Star Wars, but I am looking forward to the end of collecting in just a few years from now.

-Sal

Jaff
12-09-2003, 06:28 PM
The more I read new posts about this topic the more my resolve against it grows. I am a very astute collector of the 12" and 3 3/4 figs. Since I've been collecting SW stuff for over 2 decades now I must say that I am looking forward to being done with the 3 3/4 line some day. I want to one day sit in my study and stare at my COMPLETE collection and not worry that I have to hunt down some new thing. I love collecting, but I also love thinking about other things too. SW is a big part of my life, obviously since I've probably thrown down over $5,000 so far in collecting, but I look forward to it ending some day. This 7" line stuff was tried and failed with the Epic stuff, having them try this is only a desperate attempt to prolonge the inevitable.

I also guarentee that allot less people will buy the 7" stuff and thus would cause them to stagnate on shelves killing our beloved franchise faster by creating peg warmers.

JediTricks
12-09-2003, 11:54 PM
With figures like JT's suggesting, they'd be really tempting and much better than the 12" line.

Sounds like a mix of softgoods and plastic stuff.

The price points on figures like this would be $10-20, more likely on the higher end of the scale.

I'd have to say they'd be really tempting. Some very creative ideas with heads and hands you've got going on there JediTricks. I'm ready for them to hire you to work on this line!By then, I'm hoping that electronic features and plastic soft goods will have advanced enough to make it work, but at this scale, cloth soft goods (robes & vests) work a lot better and probably would have some advances by then too (look at the 12" clothes coming out of Japan now, one of those companies has this micro-weave fabric that looks and feels WAY better than anything in the US market). Heck, on some of 'em, the jackets could be extra arms and a removable vest, I've seen other lines do that.

If Hasbro called me up tomorrow and asked me to head up a project like the one I described, I'd be all over it. I'm thinking $12 to $15 a figure at WM & TRU, but I know some of my ideas went beyond that. ;) And if they called me up to the majors :D I'd strongly suggest EU lines in the classic 4" scale. Then I'd rule the world, bwa ha ha! :Pirate:

BTW, I'm not trying to suggest killing the 4" line, I think that line could continue to run while this line was going. This 7" concept really is about what I think figures should be though, especially the 12" line which just don't do what it should IMO. Better sculpts, neutral poses, tons of articulation, lots of accessories, great paintjobs, and a real sense of a worthwhile action figure purchase.

I disagree with you Jaff about the amount of sales, look at Marvel Legends, that line is not in scale with previous Toy Biz Marvel lines and is selling really well, and they can get it out there at a $6-$7 pricetag, think of what twice that could produce. You can't judge it by Epic Force or Unleashed, both are statue lines, not action figures.

I don't understand this need to have the line "end". If you are so desparate to have a "complete" collection, why not quit now or at POTJ or some other milestone?

jjreason
12-10-2003, 02:07 AM
My vote was to quit after having each 3.75 each character. My interpretation of this is getting to the point where my collection of small figures is as complete as I want it. That's when I'll stop.

When I say I won't buy 7 inch figures, I really have to qualify. If they were of stupifying quality like the ones envisioned by JT, it'd be hard to say no. What I refuse to be caught up in again is this ridiculous, all-consuming, near full-time pursuit of god-forsaken pieces of plastic. I don't go out of my way for ANY OTHER TOYS EXCEPT STAR WARS, AND I NEVER EVER WILL AGAIN. I HATE HOW HARD IT'S BEEN TO GET EVERYTHING OVER THE PAST 4 YEARS.

IF I can find them in my store, AND Im happy with them, then yes I'll buy. I too am looking forward to a day when I can know smugly that my collection is complete (well, complete enough for me anyway).

fishyfett
12-10-2003, 02:24 AM
Come on fellas, the 3 3/4 format has been working since the early bird era. Why change it now?? I'm sure Bernie Loomis, then head honcho of Kenner, had the right idea when he put out his thumb and index finger to be measured by his assistant, Dave Okada, and came up w/ a height of 3 3/4 for the first Luke figure. And from this figure, everything else will be scaled up or down. I know that not all the figures (or the ships) are scaled properly, but for playability's sake and realistic expenditure, the size make it possible for the figures to interact w/ the playsets and vehicles. But if Hasbro tries to make a change going this direction, I'd say 'Go ahead. Make my day.' Give me a reason to stop collecting. After all, I only collect the figures, creatures and ships, just to keep it real. No playsets, no statues, not even those Disney droids and no 12" dolls. So, go ahead, Hasbro, make the change and you can kiss this one goodbye. I remember the Epic Series, 8-inch figures. They bombed. And also Mattel's bid for the SW license and talk about making the figures at 6 inches. It bombed, too.

Please let things stay the way they are right now. No funny ideas, please. After all, we've been enjoying this franchise for a while now, so let's not end the ride yet. :cool:

Anakin Palpatine
12-10-2003, 03:10 AM
One day a figure will come out which will change the look of Star Wars figures forever. This figure created from mid-air will bring balance to our collections.

Sorry, I had to do it. Why is everyone so tense about just the thought of it? So what if you waited outside of a Toys R Us twice already to get the newest installment of figures, just to find all of them at half the price a month later.

So what if you have lost a partner over your collecting. Maybe you didn't eat that particular day, when you saw the new Tusken Raider with removable head was the only one on the pegs. Just to see ten of them at Walmart the very next week.

Who cares if they make bigger and better figures? I know I don't, you know you don't. You'll pass up paying that water bill an extra month to get that next big Tatooine Luke with a mohawk.

We seem to have no problem shelling out 5-6 bucks every time they want to repaint R2-D2 or C-3PO. OH WOW! A new R5-D14563, in tye dye colors.

Come on people, it's just a silly question that I give my hats off to the man who made it up. No matter what you want to believe, as long as it says STAR WARS on it, were still going to buy it. It's a drug and your addicted. It has nothing to do with the fact that Lucas has subliminal messages in all the movies, telling us to buy Star Wars merchandise.
:p

JediTricks
12-10-2003, 03:21 AM
That Kenner story of "held out my fingers and they measured it" seems a little unbelievable to me the more I look at action figure history. It's a little too convenient that the size they chose just happens to be 1/18th scale AND happened to also be the same size as the Microman line in Japan that was already several years old by then.

Why go with a new size? Well, some accessories are just not feasable at the current scale, and accessory interaction with the figures is limited to ye olde cupped hand or at best, oversized holsters. The sabers rarely fit on the belts and the removable blades are too often breaking off. So many collectors complain about added articulation looking like GI Joe:RAH at this scale, but larger scales have a much easier time of hiding great articulation. Removable robes and other clothes, both plastic and cloth, have some pretty big faults at this scale that nearly disappear on the higher scales.

Now I'm not talking about Epic Force (statues) or the Mega Action Figures (gimmicky kiddie toys), I'm talking about a major step forward in how SW figures and their accessories look, feel, and interact. The 4" scale is great, although there are far too few really great vehicles in the line and many of 'em are simply repros of older pieces (thank goodness for Action Fleet, wish THAT was still alive :(), but the 4" line is quite limited. If you take a good look at what Toy Biz does with Marvel Legends or McStatue does with Metal Gear and the like - just to name a few - and not see a world of new possibilities opening up for Star Wars, I'd be surprised.

Some of you who are you're bristling at the very notion of a different scale seem to be HOPING for the day when Hasbro finally kills the 4" line so you can stop. That seems really odd to me, since long-term collectors know that with or without a new scale of figures, long after the 4" line dies, in 15 years Hasbro will probably put out a POTF3 or something to try and salvage the license just before it expires. I think your collecting days should end when YOU feel satisfied, not when there's no more junk to buy.

Tycho
12-10-2003, 04:17 AM
I so much agree with what JediTricks just posted.

You guys take note: we don't know if Hasbro is even considering this - at least I've never asked. I do think that those Mega-Action figures (Maul, Obi-Wan, and the Destroyer) were an attempt at this - and they did sell out. But we didn't really want action features and less than adequate accessories, plus fixed facial expressions on the sculpts. So I'm sure they've considered it by the product serving as evidence.

The EPISODE THREE Figures and I'm sure figures in general for a few years after that - until 2008 - will all be definitely produced to go with the current 3 3/4" collection.

What I'm seeing from about 25% of you, is that after you have every figure conceivably possible, you want to quit. As if you can get out of debt then and start sensible financial planning.

Let me just insert this: Star Wars should never be harming your ability to pay your bills and stay out of debt. For 2004 on, I've established a situation where I am earning and saving money specifically for my Star Wars hobby alone. I've estimated it'll cost me about $1,000 next year, but I'm shooting to save $1,500 that will not wind up being that amount on my credit card debt.

Next, Star Wars should never be so obsessively compulsing that you are losing every square foot of liveable space in your home to fill it with resculpts and cardback variations of figures you already have. I almost didn't buy the Wampa because I already have a '97 (but it was too good and I caved in) - but I'm not getting that Captain Crunch-Man Imperial Dignitary (#2) which I turned down in the store this morning. I can fit only 2, not 5 dignitaries behind my Emperor in my DS display, so I'll pick my favorite 2 if Hasbro intends to make all 5. I want them sinister looking, not silly-looking anyway.

But JediTricks is right: if you have all you want, quit. Or take a break. Every once in a while come back and pick up something you see that you really want - like the guys that came back just to get Ephant Mon. Don't burden your life with absolute rules: "I've quit or else I have to buy everything."

However, that doesn't mean the line has to die in 2008 or whenever every movie figure is made, just for your convenience. SW probably will die out a lot in a couple years after the movie, but it may not. And like JT suggested, nostalgic items will tend to pop up, especially when it is a hot and coveted license.

Now 1, I hope they will continue to make the 3 3/4" line, and instead of only resculpts for options, they will do characters from the comic and book EU.
We'll see how you guys like that, because next week's poll should be "Will You Buy Jaina and Jacen Solo Action Figures If Hasbro Made Them?" Who else are they going to make, people? Be realistic: the 17th Luke Tatooine. I know: Zutton gets a resculpt! That'll be popular :rolleyes:

Are you ALL ready to buy "The Ice Cream Maker Guy?"

Or just so you can be a completist, are you ready to say they should kill the line after you have everything you want, and never mind younger generations who want to find SW at retail? That's selfish. No one's holding a gun to your head forcing you to collect.

But 2, changing the size and doing a new line, much more limited than what we're seeing in "the ongoing Episode Three line" is likely the best way to go.

Here kids, you want Star Wars figures? Here's Nas Choka, Qrrl Qyyg, Nrin Vakil, Kenth Hamner, Quis Xu, and Tahiri Veila. How many of you guys can tell me who they are? Well kids, it's on page 471 of "Star by Star" etc. etc. and I'm sure some of you have never read a 600 page book and cringe at the thought.

Now kids, here's the all-new Amazing Luke Skywalker (Tatooine)! Want that, or this figure of Salporin? (These names are real SW characters).

So I do want an extensive amount of EU figures made from the novels and comics, but I think some of the characters I just named were deliberately too obscure to ever see plastic (maybe not Tahiri, but the rest).

So if you don't like either option, that only leaves having the line die, just so you can say your collection is complete, without any regard to what's realistic, or what's fair to others.

Comment on that.

kool-aid killer
12-10-2003, 09:35 AM
I wouldnt like a change simply because i think we have put in too much money just to have them start with another line of Star Wars figures. Now if it were only a few figures at a time i wouldnt mind, but then people would rightfully want secondary characters in this new style too so it would basically be like starting over again.

stillakid
12-10-2003, 10:02 AM
I don't understand this need to have the line "end". If you are so desparate to have a "complete" collection, why not quit now or at POTJ or some other milestone?

Hmm, I don't really fall into that category of "hoping the line will end." (however, my bank account sure wouldn't mind! ;) )

But this whole nonsense of "lines" (POTF2, POTJ, Saga, etc) is just silly to me. They are just arbitrary "milestones," as you put it, with no real meaning when it comes to toys that are designed specifically to interact together on the same scale. So what if they change the packaging that the toys come in with new splashy colors or new logos? It's what's inside that counts, and apart from the He Man look of the very early figures or the vast difference between the vintage efforts and what we have today, all the toys pretty much look and play the same.

So to suggest that one could simply stop at one of those artificial milestones and claim a "complete" collection just doesn't work.

Jaff
12-10-2003, 10:24 AM
I never said I was desperate for the line to end I just relayed my opinion that it is FOOLISH to start a new line of figures that are more expensive and resized. And looking at this poll perhaps folks should read the opinions before saying sales would be just fine. There are more folks against the resizing than those who are for it! The numbers since the Saga line shows that SW was hurt by the saga line as compared to POTF, and POTJ. My statement that a 7" line would hurt the licence is based on annalysis not conjecture. SW was #1 yearly in toy revenue during POTF, POTJ, and was in the top three for Episode I. Episode II damaged the license terribly with statues and accessory features. They were not even posted as a toy winner last year. Now with distributors backing off like Wal-Mart, buys are down in the license, and dealers seem to be the only ones nibbling on Hasbro's new stuff eagerly it is clear that if Hasbro created a new 7" line than retailers will back off immediately seeing the change as desperation, not innovative. Hasbro has really screwed up this license, and now they need to concentrate on getting it strong again before even entertaining the idea of changing the size, just mentioning it can make Hasbro loose some ground! I do understand that this poll is hypothetical, but I'm commenting on it as if it was not hypothetical. Fix it first then get innovative, and just because they are making some great figures now doesn't mean they've fixed everything, they need to reform a team-ship with retailers, and make a marketable product again.

As far as the suggestion for me to have quit collecting during the POTJ line since I am "wishing to end the line" is a brainless comment without thought seeing how I stated that one of my dreams is to sit in a study with my COMPLETE 3 3/4 collection displayed. The collection would not have been complete if I quit before the entire 3 3/4 collection was released!

fishyfett
12-10-2003, 11:59 AM
I know possibilities are there should Hasbro decide to change the size of their figures. However, I won't be buying anything that's out of the standard 3 3/4 format. Right now, the 3 3/4 is the standard. If and when the bigger figures come out, then I'll leave those alone. I just hope Hasbro will still make the smaller versions. For some of you fans who dig bigger figures, fine, whatever floats your boat. If I want bigger figures, I start collecting other lines in which the format is more than 3 3/4. That's why I quit collecting Marvel figures. They keep changing the scale. And I love Marvel. I think those Legends figures are some of the best I've ever seen. It took me a lot of patience to not collect them. Why?? Because I know, if I stand them next to my '90's Marvel figures, it would look odd. Not too mention some characters were already done so many times. And I feel the same with Star Wars if ever the format's changed. I just want to stick to one standard cause I know my wants and limitations. Like I said, I'm just keeping it real for ME. I don't agree nor disagree w/ anyone about the changes because everybody's different. Peace, people. :happy:

skeeziks22
12-10-2003, 01:02 PM
Well, a few of my thoughts were answered, and I'll just re-cap:

1)Hasbro has not suggested that they will do this. Tycho mentioned he has never even asked if they were thinking about doing this.

2)It may be the best thing that if they did change the size that they did so while still producing 4" figures. They could compare sales then and see which line should be the one to continue.

I wonder how the unleashed line would sell if the 4" line was out of production... same goes for the 12" and playschool lines. I think the 4" line is the backbone of the collectors universe (even if you don't collect them).

I think the reason so many people seem to want to end their collection with a complete set soon is three-fold;

1) They are lacking space and new versions or re-packs takes up space that could go to new characters.

2) Money... I figure about $600 a year just to buy the 50+ "normal" figures plus deluxe and ships. This number does not include errors (unpainted visor), package variations (no dot clone trooper), or figure variations (head scuplts, clone deluxe colors, battle droid colors etc). Add those all on (and remember the Acklay had a package variation, and how many clone 3-packs are there?) plus the new cinema scenes and the cost approaches $800 a year... and that is just the 4" line!

3) Lack of new figs... this is likely the biggest reason people are ready to "retire" from collecting the 4" line. Ephant Mon was a Fan's Choice figure, yet only one person I know saw any on pegs... ever! My brother found one at a collectables store in Cinci. And did you know there is a color variant of this guy!

Also, as far as sculpts are concerned it is all too possible to do great sculpts in the 4" scale. Has anyone looked at some of the Hallmark ornaments out this year. The Amidalla and Yoda ornaments are so good, and the poses are such that they could replace the Hasbro versions in your dioramas.

I'll collect as long as they make 4" figs... hopefully they do some good ones and get them to us... I hate paying $7+ per fig from online sources.

Deoxyribonucleic
12-10-2003, 03:59 PM
I would get some of them but they'd have to be super detailed and I'd only get the main characters of the Orginal Trilogy. I still can't imagine though collecting star wars figures until 2008 or was it 2018 that Hasbro has a license for the figures?? AY CARUMBA!

I am Jabba the Hutt
12-10-2003, 04:16 PM
I still can't imagine though collecting star wars figures until 2008 or was it 2018 that Hasbro has a license for the figures?? AY CARUMBA!

I can! even though I'll be 38 in 2018! I could collect Star Wars figures for the rest of my life. Heck, I've been doing so on and off since I was a toddler. Thankfully, I'm insanely back into Star Wars.. I have come back to the light side! :crazed: :D