PDA

View Full Version : Cover versions: Banjo Iron Maiden on NPR!

JON9000
12-08-2003, 01:16 PM
NPR has those little interstitial music segments here and there. Most of them I've never heard, but when some come from a genre I recognize, they sure can go deep. Today was the craziest though. After an interview with Jimmy Carter, I heard "Run to the Hills" by Iron Maiden as interpreted by a Bluegrass band. Pretty crazy. Thought I would share.

Do you have any cover versions of songs you like that are your favorites?

Or weird cover versions you've heard of stuff you know?

Exhaust Port
12-08-2003, 02:03 PM
The 2 albums by Apocolyptica are some of my favorites. If you haven't heard them, it's 4 guys with cellos playing heavy metal. The first album was all Metallica covers but the second album was about half Metallica and other metal bands like Megadeth and Pantera. Worth a listen if you're interested in classical interpretations.

James Boba Fettfield
12-08-2003, 04:19 PM
Fade to Bluegrass: The Bluegrass Tribute to Metallica
A Hillbilly Tribute to AC/DC

Take your pick, bluegrass covering hard rock....that's weird to me.

Darth Jax
12-08-2003, 07:16 PM
bluegrass isn't the only genre to pay homage to metallica. there's also been the punk tribute to metallica and an industrial tribute as well.

at one point there was a thread discussing covers, but i'm too lazy to look for it.

scruffziller
12-08-2003, 09:05 PM
Fade to Bluegrass: The Bluegrass Tribute to Metallica
A Hillbilly Tribute to AC/DC

Take your pick, bluegrass covering hard rock....that's weird to me.I actually like Fade to Bluegrass they do the songs proud.

The 2 albums by Apocolyptica are some of my favorites. If you haven't heard them, it's 4 guys with cellos playing heavy metal. The first album was all Metallica covers but the second album was about half Metallica and other metal bands like Megadeth and Pantera. Worth a listen if you're interested in classical interpretations.
Absolutely, that interlude in the middle of MASTER OF PUPPETS is just beautiful.

Kidhuman
12-12-2003, 10:54 PM
Man,I love me some cover songs. I havent heard the bluegrass ones that you guys have mentioned. BTW I had a thread on cover songs awhile back (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19614&highlight=good+cover+songs) . Check it out.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-12-2003, 11:46 PM
Or weird cover versions you've heard of stuff you know?

That banjo cover sounds nifty, but the most unusual cover song I ever heard was a cover of "Gin and Juice" originally by Dr. Dre (I apoligize if I got the artist or title wrong, it could be Snoop Dog) covered by some country western band.

I couldn't help but laugh when I heard it. Just listening to someone who sounds like Jed Clampett, sing about life in the ghetto, drinking forty-ounces, and referring to women with not-so-nice names just about floored me. :sur:

JimJamBonds
02-20-2007, 10:47 AM
I also love Fade to Bluegrass and the Apocaliptica cd's (although I never picked up their third album).