PDA

View Full Version : Best game system

Darth Jax
12-08-2003, 06:01 PM
i'm sure this has been debated to death (so let me appologize now). my question is (for those of you with multiple platforms) which is the best system and why do you feel that way? with the drop in prices i'm thinking of getting back into the platform system (haven't gotten anything new since N64). previously drops in prices were harbingers of new system being released, but haven't seen any news about this occuring. being a mac user its years before i play games (only the most popular pc games make that jump). so now that i've finished my editorial i'd appreciate your input.

Beast
12-08-2003, 06:21 PM
Super Nintendo. Best game system I've ever played. The new ones have too many damn buttons, knobs, and switches. After that, the Atari 5200 or 7800. That system rocked. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I am Jabba the Hutt
12-08-2003, 06:30 PM
Super Nintendo. Best game system I've ever played. The new ones have too many damn buttons, knobs, and switches. After that, the Atari 5200 or 7800. That system rocked. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Gotta agree with JarJar. So, did you get all 96 levels on Super Mario World then Jar Jar? :D

James Boba Fettfield
12-08-2003, 06:48 PM
Don't worry about new systems until about 2005, Jax. We still got at least a year of new gaming ahead with current consoles.

I wish I could say the older consoles were the best experiences, but the Madden series on current platforms changes my mind. Great games, but it's a sports fan thing.

I think PS2 and XBox are the better systems, but I love my GameCube for it's exclusive titles. But you'd have to be into Nintendo published games if you want the same feeling (SSBM, Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, Rogue Squadron series)

scruffziller
12-08-2003, 08:18 PM

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
True, however though ,alot of the games didn't seem to have the content quality as the original NES. Somewhat analagous to comparing the PT to the OT.
However, ZELDA III: A Link to the Past was one of the best games I have played ever of any console!!

BFett88
12-08-2003, 09:55 PM
Get the PS2, all I have to say if Final Fantasy. These games are the Star Wars of video games. Try FF7 which is the best game ever.

mrmiller
12-09-2003, 10:27 AM
I don't knwo why I bother to keep reply to these best console threads, but if you're talking new consoles it the Xbox hands down. The others have their benifites too, but I've never heard of anyone who owns all three consoles and says the Xbox is not the best (I'm sure someone will prove me wrong now :p ). The Gamecube i great for it's exclusive titles, and PS2 is great for it's total number of titles and the PS1 backwards compatibility. But the Xbox with it's online system (if you have broadband), hard drive, superior graphics, and increasingly better and better exclusive titles, makes it the winner. Most all hit games come out for multiple systems, and are most always better on Xbox. The only thing hurting Xbox right now is the lack of online support for EA. But besides that the EA games are still better on Xbox. And if you still can decide remember this- Halo and Halo 2 are Xbox exclusives!

=MATT=

Exhaust Port
12-09-2003, 11:25 AM
I still have, and love, my Sega Genesis. I also have the adaptor for it that allows me to still play my Sega Master System games. That system gets my vote.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-09-2003, 12:43 PM
is this even a debate?!? Playstation 2, hands down!!! No other system has the ridiculous amount of titles, a DVD player and a CD player all in one package. Plus, the controller set up is the best one of the three. X-Box's controller is beyond ridiculous and is WAY too bulky to be considered doable. The gamecube is alright, but sorry JBFF, no amount of "GC exclusive titles" is going to save it. I did like the Resident Evil titles, but felt that Capcom boinked over the PS. They must've felt badly about it too as i read that the RE isn't staying exclusive to the GC. X-Box really doesn't have any really standout games and pretty much all the systems have online play now, so that doesn't make it special. Get a PS2, you won't regret it! :D

Lord Malakite
12-09-2003, 01:29 PM
Heh, its obvious which system is the best out of them all. Its the one that best fits your tastes. :p

For me it would be anything Nintendo. Of all the games JBF and I own for the GCN, I don't think I have personally bought any that aren't exclusive to the Cube.

James Boba Fettfield
12-09-2003, 01:44 PM
XBox doesn't have any standout games?

Knights of the Old Republic
Halo
Halo 2 (you know it'll be good)
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Counterstrike

Now that list is excluding PC's, which is a fine gaming machine in itself, but very expensive.

Guyute, where'd you read that thing about Resident Evil leaving GCN? Someone said something about that before, but I never read anything official.
And exclusive titles does save the GCN, for $99 and all the great exclusives it has, you can't go wrong. But, like I said, if you don't like their exclusives, then you'll want to go with one of the other systems.

I was happy with my GCN choice, it plays Madden and Metroid. It fits me perfectly.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-09-2003, 02:15 PM
XBox doesn't have any standout games?

Halo 2 (you know it'll be good)

Guyute, where'd you read that thing about Resident Evil leaving GCN? Someone said something about that before, but I never read anything official.

Halo 2 will be good WHEN/IF it ever actually comes out!! how many times has that game been delayed?!!! We're more than likely see it turned into a movie before that game ever comes out! :crazed: hehehhehehehehe

I saw the thing about RE a while back; i'll try to dig up the article.

I agree though, it's all about tastes. My tastes have always lead me to the playstation systems. I agree with you about Madden, JBFF, those games are fantastic. :D

Hellboy
12-09-2003, 09:49 PM
I have to agree with mrmiller on this one, the X-Box is the clear winner IMO and I do own all 3 units. My PS2 gets the least amount of use since almost everything I'm interested in comes out on all platforms and 9 times out of 10 it looks better on the X-Box. I love my Gamecube for the same reasons everyone else here does, because of the Big N's exclusives. I've even considered selling my PS2 if it wasn't for the Final Fantasy and GTA series that I love so much.

BTW JM Guyute the new S-style controller for the X-Box has eliminated the bulky feel of the original controller and is packed with all the new systems. :)

JBFF, I remember reading somewhere too that Capcom's exclusive deal with Nintendo runs out after Resident Evil 4 and all future releases will be multi-platform.

James Boba Fettfield
12-09-2003, 10:56 PM
Hellboy, about the RE thing, I'm sure Resident Evil will go back to other systems, once the next generation consoles are released. What I'm saying is that for as long as the current consoles are tops, it will stay with GCN. Resident Evil 4 has a 2004 release, and most likely by the time Resident Evil 5 is released, it will be on the next generation consoles.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-10-2003, 12:38 AM
Question about the RE thing: where are we in the game, series wise? So, playstation systems have had:
resident evil 1, resident evil 2, resident evil 3: Nemesis and Resident Evil: code veronica.

GC had: resident evil 0 (events before 1), the Resident Evil 1 redux, the re-releases of RE:2 and re: nemesis, code veronica and now 4, right?

I'm just curious what is supposed to happen in 4? If anybody could drop me a PM or reply to this, it'd be greatly appreciated.
note: this list doesn't mention the 1st person shooters or the online game as they don't further the actual plot to my knowledge.

Lastly, this whole GC exclusive thing made no sense to me. More people own Playstations and the RE was a hot item and made RE the popular series it is. I bet money that Capcom re-releases RE4 on the ps2 once their deal with GC is up. At least, they better. :D

jjreason
12-10-2003, 01:25 AM
Remember this adage: "You don't play the system, you play the games."

Have a look in a game shop, and figure out what interests you the most. If you like games exclusive to one system over those from another, odds are that's the system for you. I only have PS2, and that purchase was driven by the fact that I was going to be able to play EA Sports, Metal Gear Solid sequels, Final Fantasy sequels, Grand Turismo sequels, Tekken sequels, etc. - basically continuing the time I wasted on PSOne. I knew from day one who'd be getting my money, and I've never regretted it or looked back. I have enjoyed the time I've spent playing the other systems (and I've logged well over 100hrs on both X-box and NGC - not days and days, but not an insignificant exposure either in my opinion). I find the quality of the games on each system are comparable in terms of speed and graphics, but that games look best on X-Box when you do a direct comparison.

X-Box is really big and heavy. You don't need a memory card, but you do need to spend extra money to get the DVD playback.

PS2 is medium sized, and does require a memory card. Some problems with playback of DVDs occur if you don't have the DVD remote (which comes with a disc of drivers you load into your deck to upgrade the DVD player function) - and some occur even if you do. We, for example, can't watch "The Royal Tenenbaums" DVD on our PS2 for whatever reason. It just doesn't work, but will work fine in our other player.

The Cube is super small and light, plays super small discs, but can't play DVDs at all. If that means something to you, cross the Cube off the list.

QLD
12-10-2003, 02:20 AM
Chalk me down for exactly what mrmiller said.

I have all 3 systems, and I think the X-Box is the best. I love all 3 mind you, but I play my X-Box much more than the others. The DVD players works better, the graphics are better, no memory cards, and a great selection of games. And personally, I lvoe the controller. The only problem I have with the controller is that that buttons are a tad too close to each other.

As far as PS2, If it wasn't for the Final Fantasy games and the backwards compatibility, I might never play it. I recently bought the new Castlevania game, and had to blow the dust off of it. It has tons of games, but tons of crappy games too!

Gamecube, I love it. It has less titles, but I will take quality over quantity anyday. Mario Kart Double Dash makes the system worth it alone, not to mention the Star Wars games.

kool-aid killer
12-11-2003, 09:29 AM
Ive only got a Gamecube but think its the best of the three. The games seem better, not as much crap gets put out like in the other two systems. But the Xbox would be my second choice (im hoping my brother will get one for his birthday) because it seems to have interesting titles. PS2 does have the advantage of being able to play its old games but i already have a DVD player so that doesnt make it a better value in my opinion.

Darth Jax
12-11-2003, 09:03 PM
thanks everyone for your input.

TheDarthVader
12-13-2003, 02:59 PM
I am getting a Game Cube for Christmas. I bought it and gave it to someone who is going to give it to me. I made the early bird special and bought it for $79.82 at Wal Mart. I decided to go with Game Cube so that I could play SW Rebel Strike III and other fantasy games I like such as LOTR: Return of the King. I think the Mario Kart game (mentioned) is awesome!

As far as best ever......it has to go to the original Nintendo. Why? In 1985 there was no video games out there. Only the old Ataris (which aren't bad). The original Nintendo revolutionized video games and made them popular. "Nintendo" quickly became a house hold name. There are people who don't know who Nelson Mandella was but they know the name Nintendo! The best game of all time is Super Mario Brothers I. This game put everything else into perspective and was VERY fun to play, IMO. I believe there are more games for Nintendo than any other system out there today. I could be wrong...it is just an estimate. And the games Nintendo offered were of a great variety. They had every game imaginable! And for many years Nintendo stood as the only modern game system until Super NES and Saga came along around 1992. So I will have to go with...
ORIGINAL NINTENDO CIRCA 1985!!!

jjreason
12-14-2003, 06:05 PM
To paraphrase TDV, "I STRONGLY URGE YOU AND ASK YOU TO DOWNLOAD AND RUN A NINTENDO EMULATOR ON YOUR PC. THANK YOU!" :D

I also still love my Genesis. I think all tolled, I've probably spent the most time on Genesis.

bobafett07728
12-15-2003, 11:10 AM
While I thoroughly enjoy playing the newer systems, my favorite system is still my trusty Atari 2600! I play it everyday, and the games are ultra-addictive. I still play Tecmo Super Bowl all the time (on NES,SNES,Genesis, and Playstation) with my brothers, but for me it is still the classic Atari!

There is nothing like the look on someone's face when you tell them you still have an Atari 2600 hooked up in your room. . . priceless!!!!

bigbarada
12-21-2003, 11:52 PM
I'll always be a Nintendo fan. Thus the Gamecube is my favorite system right now.

I could care less about system specs and polygon pushing power - the only thing that matters is the games. Nintendo has the franchises that made me love video games in the first place: old-school classics like Mario and Zelda, modern classics like Pikmin and Animal Crossing.

The only way I will ever buy a non-Nintendo system is if they go the same route as Sega: abandon harware and focus exclusively on software.