PDA

View Full Version : Gabriel Byrne's Next...

Rollo Tomassi
12-03-2001, 10:11 AM
Just found this over at www.darkhorizons.com which has a link to www.showbizireland.com:

Gabriel Byrne's Next: Gabriel Byrne briefly talked the third prequel to Showbiz Ireland - "They have approached me and they are talking about it but nothing is definite yet. I think the way George Lucas works is not the usual way where they have a script then they offer you a role. I think the develop characters around particular people as far as I know. They have not said anything to me about what role I would play". Byrne is currently working on David Cronenberg's "Spider" and also talks about what's next for him - "I go back to New York then finish this film in Toronto and then Christmas. Next year I have two projects, one in Australia and maybe one in London. I think that will be it for next year. I can't tell you which projects cause I haven't signed the contract so I can't". Thanks to 'Ray'

Hmmmmm...Tarkin anyone?

Fulit
12-03-2001, 01:18 PM
OMG, that darkhorizon link you provided also had a rumor that Cuba Gooding Jr. is up for a role in SW. I swear here and now if Cuba Gooding Jr. gets put in a Star Wars film, I will burn all my movies, toys, and memorabilia immediately. I have never been able to stand him and his nasally voice. I kept wishing Anthony Hopkins would just reach out and snap his neck in "Instinct". I know it may sound stupid to say that a certain actor would make me totally turn on Star Wars, but that's the way I feel. It was bad enough when Jimmy Smits got cast as Bail Organa, the DiCaprio rumors were worse, but please, Lucas, no Cuba Gooding Jr.! Stick to relatively unknown actors, please! That is all.

Fulit
12-03-2001, 01:21 PM
Oh yeah, as for Gabriel Byrne, he looks like he would make a decent Tarkin. I'd be excited just to see Tarkin in E3 at all.

JediTricks
12-04-2001, 12:25 AM
Didn't we hear this rumor for Ep 1?

Tycho
12-05-2001, 03:27 AM
Gabriel Burns as Tarkin?

I'm not sure I can picture Gabriel, but if Tarkin is in the movie, and I think it likley, that will be seriously cool.

He will be either the Republic or the Confederacy's military commander. The latter I think, as it will be set up for him to surrender to Palpatine and get a deal on the side.

See the thread Mace's Death. It has become this forum users' complete synopsis of Episode 3 contributed to and debated by a lot of good people.

Meanwhile, could somebody please tell me where Gariel Burns can be seen?

Rollo Tomassi
12-05-2001, 10:22 AM
Gariel Burns and Gabriel Burns, I don't know about. Long lost cousins of Montgomery??

Gabriel Byrne was in the Usual Suspects. He played Keaton.

He was also Satan in that crappy Ah-nuld movie End Of Days.

And the Priest in Stigmata.

D'artangan in Man in the Iron Mask with Leo.

And Uther Pendragon (Aurthur's father) in Excalibur waaaayy back in 1981...

Tycho
12-05-2001, 01:29 PM
Ah. Thanks. And LOL at the 'cousins' joke.

I never saw any of those movies. I'm not tempted either. Maybe end of days, as I've liked all the Arnold movies I've seen so far. (though I haven't seen all of them and don't have a great interest in doing that either).

Rollo Tomassi
12-05-2001, 01:49 PM
I highly recommend the Usual Suspects. In fact, I recommend multiple viewings of it.

jedi master sal
12-07-2001, 01:10 PM
Byrne would be absolutely perfect for GM Tarkin. The face his accent can easily be altered by him and not Ben Burtt. (Although they will still mess with it)

What of the rumors of a Kashyyk being invaded in EPIII and we seeing Chewbacca?

Tycho
12-07-2001, 02:01 PM
Jedi Sal:

I don't think we'll ever see Kashyyyk (though it'd be nice).

Please see the Episode 3 Spoilers Post "Mace's Death" where a lot of us here have worked out the entire plotline to Episode 3 with a reasonably good amount of accuracy if we went on logic alone.

All the planets and their place and sequence in the plot are identified therein.

Meanwhile, if you can obtain or view a copy of the Holiday Special, you can see Kashyyyk where Chewie comes from.

Fulit
12-07-2001, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by jedi master sal

What of the rumors of a Kashyyk being invaded in EPIII and we seeing Chewbacca?

I hadn't heard that one but it's an excellent idea and would certainly make up for the Wookie-planet we were supposed to get but didn't in ROTJ, IMO.

jedi master sal
12-07-2001, 02:16 PM
I've read some of the Mace's Death thread.

No matter our opions and/or thought on how the SW should be it still comes down to GL's vision.

It would be great if one day he would sit up and take notice of us, but come on do you really think a BIG TIME hollywood Dir/Pro is going to look at our opinions and say yeah, that's what I should have written down. And in the unlikely miracle that he would do you think anyone but himself would get the credit. For all of our theorizing on the facts as we know it he could throw a monkey wrench the size of the deathstar at us and we can't do a single thing about it but pout and say "he should have done this or that" or not changed this or that.

Certainly if I was in his position I would like to think I would listen to what the fans want but realistically I wouldn't be able to. I would want my vision to come first. Besides it would be MY money paying for the movie. Rarely does a writer have the kind of freedom that GL does to create. Maybe we should be inspired to come up with something else (NOT SW) and see if we can get people to like it. Until this day occurs, we should just grin and bear it. You may not like it and that's okay but slammin the man who brought this fantastic story to us in the first place is a misguiding waste of energy and thought.

Okay I've ranted enough.

Hope I didn't get anyone upset.

Tycho
12-07-2001, 02:52 PM
Sal, I think you missed the point of the Mace's Death thread:

We weren't saying how the movie SHOULD be, we were having a lot of FUN guessing how we think it might be.

Certainly since we know certain things have to happen, at the very least Anakin becoming Darth Vader, there are logical elements that must fit into our story.

Since it seems that Rollo Tomassi, Jedi Clint (on many things), Big Barada, and more (appologies if I forgot anyone) plus myself, are all agreeing on certain logical points for the evolution of the story, we are coming up with a version that at least a few of us would like to see, might expect to see - and in the very least, it will be fun to see if we guessed it right or not when the film is released!

I'm not setting my expectations to asure me that is exactly what the movie will play like. What we wrote would please me, and it certainly could be ten times more exciting! Inevitably, we will refine our story as spoilers reach us, and the final product will undboubtably be compared to our version we wrote here.

It's our right to like Lucas' story as better, or deem it far worse. However, it's all in FUN to try and guess. That's all we're doing - and I hope I didn't come out (in my previous post) sounding like myself or any author of the Mace's Death thread considered ourselves the authority on E3. We do not. I was only referring to it to explain WHY we though Kashyyyk won't be in Episode 3, while I agree with you that seeing the planet would be a wonderful idea if it fit in the movie appropriately.

Hey, I'd like to see Bothawaui, Rodia, Corellia, Nal Hutta and Nar Shadda and more on the Big Screen, but if the only way we got to see those planets is because JarJar lost his underwear and went to each of these places in a sub-plot while searching - I don't think any of us would feel it belongs in the story. Simply put, I was implying that I'd love to see Kashyyyk, but answered your question of 'do I think we'll see it' with "No, I don't." and I provided a reason.

Oh, and no one would 'Slam' you and I hope my differences in view doesn't sound like it - and I don't know where anyone 'Slammed' George Lucas - especially on a movie he has not even written.

jedi master sal
12-07-2001, 03:06 PM
I think you have yourself a great Idea for a video game though.

It could be called :

Where in the galaxy are my Gungan underPANTS or
Gungan PANTS adventure or
Panty Raider II (Gungan Style)

Sorry just having fun with the Pant thread in the EP1 line.

Did you ever get to see my theory on Palpatine ascent to Emperor.

It goes briefly like this.

Palp finds sith writting on naboo, trains himself, becomes sith
possibly fathers anakin on naboo (thereby keeping GL's aptitude for repeating story lines)
Shmi escapes to Tatooine. Palp finds out, has here enslaved and watched over by Jabba. (This is why we see the little creature there that he flicks off during the pod race. It is indiginous "spelling" to Naboo)
The Palp we see on Coruscant is a clone that The Original Palp created. This is why the jedi don't feel him. and so on.....there is more but I wanted to be as brief as possible.

what do you think?

Rollo Tomassi
12-07-2001, 04:05 PM
jedi master sal has a point. George COULD throw all the continuity out the window. Obi Wan may never fight Anakin. padme might not have the twins. Anakin might not turn into Darth Vader. palpatine might not become Emperor. In which case, everything we've theorized in "Mace's Death" is wrong. Thanks for bringing that up JMS.:rolleyes:

jedi master sal
12-07-2001, 04:19 PM
I don't mean your wrong. It just would be like Lucas to do something we all didn't expect.......

See EP1 for reference: Gungan ie Jarjar, a kid actor etc......

I actually like the theorizing by fans, just don't fool yourselves into believing it will happen.

Btw, I am sure someone else has asked but where did the name ROLLO tomassi come from?

Tycho
12-07-2001, 05:27 PM
Interesting, but I acknowledge remotely possilbe. Though I don't know about Palpatine being a self-taught Sith...

As for a video game? Why not a role-play video game entitled simply Bounty Hunter?

You start off on an adventure as young Fett (just after his father died) and you have to take assignments, earn money, and build up your arsenol. You must budget too, as information and bribes will cost you, as will repairing battle damage to your ship and your armor.

You will be given specifically targeted quarries, with the ultimate bounty likely being Mace Windu and later Han Solo.

There will be fast-action fighting elements done for the game (and in both hand-to-hand and ship-to-ship the combat simulator should be spared no expense). But the mystery and role-playing element should be difficult and at an adult level.

In the future, the game is always playable as you will be able to buy new "bounty" features and add quaries to your game. Additional expansion packs lets you be Aurra Sing (or Zuckuss) and use the Force - in the latter case, instead of using a lightsaber, you can call in 4-LOM, though repairing him will cost you money...

IG-88 will have auto-accuracy with blasters and the IG-2000, while Bossk will have some kind of instinct feature, where you will rely less on clues, but the scent of your victim.

Another addition could be Dengar (special feature? Armor invulnerability? Wife nagging at you and taking most of your bounties? And Greedo - comedic stories where everything is slap-stick silly (like your death in the end - assuming you get a chance to go up against Han Solo....)

That would be some video game!

bigbarada
12-07-2001, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by jedi master sal
Btw, I am sure someone else has asked but where did the name ROLLO tomassi come from?

Watch the movie L.A. Confidential.

I think Gabriel Byrne is in it.:rolleyes: (sorry, have to keep the moderators happy)

Rollo Tomassi
12-08-2001, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada

Watch the movie L.A. Confidential.

I think Gabriel Byrne is in it.:rolleyes: (sorry, have to keep the moderators happy)

That is too funny, Bigbarada. Nice segue...;)

Speaking of my name, we used to have a "Explain your Name" thread in the old forums. Somebody ought to start up a new one...

Jargo
12-22-2001, 05:40 PM
Getting back to gabriel Byrne, I can't see it myself. he doesn't look much like Peter Cushing to me. My money is on Ralph Fiennes instead. Same gaunt face and also very british. Same stiff acting style and gentlemanly qualities. Same build even. The height is a problem as Ralph Fiennes is poassibly too tall but that could just be my memory making him seem taller as I haven't seen pictures or watched a movie of Ralph for ages.

Gabriel Byrne is too strong a character and has the wrong physical presence to play Tarkin. He's an excellent actor and I could see him fitting into the movie somewhere but just not as Tarkin. I think the word I was searching for is charismatic. Too charismatic to play cold hard Tarkin. Fiennes has that down to a tee. :)

Rollo Tomassi
12-23-2001, 01:41 AM
Come to think of it...we don't even know if Tarkin will be in the movie... G.B. could be up for the role of 2nd creepy alien from the left in scene 47A...

Jargo
12-30-2001, 04:23 PM
I thought some more and decided to see for myself so I downloaded pics from IMDB and did this comparison.
If tarkin had been in episode one then yes, definately Ralph Fiennes should have played him. But if Tarkin is only going to be a glimpse - and we aren't certain of anything are we- then Gabiel will make an excellent visual Tarkin from twenty or so years before A new hope. he does actually bear a striking resemblance to Cushing but Fiennes is also strikingly passable as a young Tarkin. What do you guys say?

2-1B
12-30-2001, 05:35 PM
Nice comparison jargo, I'm inclined to agree with you.

If Tarkin becomes a key player in E3, I think Fiennes could be terrific. I envision a young Tarks as cold, sadistic, and methodical - while Byrne is, as you feel, more ''charismatic''.

Tycho
12-31-2001, 12:50 AM
I am going to go with Ralph Feinnes on this one, too.

He looks more like Peter - though Tarkin in E2 or E3 needs to be older than I think Ralph is at present.

But that can easily be accomplished with make-up! Go with Fiennes, George - he could be a great asset to the film!

Jargo
12-31-2001, 08:25 PM
Apart from which, Gabriel Byrne is better known to movie-goers. George prefers relative unknowns. Although Fiennes has been in big movies like the English patient and Schindlers list he doesn't have the same high profile as Byrne does. he still remains a relative unknown for most movie-goers largely due to his face that you can quite easily forget. it's non descript quality would mean that he could quite easily play Tarkin without anyone thinking "Oh, he's that guy who played......." Whereas Byrne would face "Oh, he's that guy from the usual suspects and that film with Arnie where he played the devil" That's my opinion anyway.
Besides, Gabriel Byrne has a strong Irish accent and Fiennes has a clipped English accent like Cushing to begin with. But then we have Robin Gurland to contend with..... She has no taste in actors.
I blame her for Jake Loyd :rolleyes: :p

Jedi Clint
12-31-2001, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
"Oh, he's that guy from the usual suspects and that film with Arnie where he played the devil"

LOL!!!!!!!!!! This is probably directly attributed to my current state of mind, but I thought you were talking about Dicaprio in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" as the character "Arnie"!!!!!

2-1B
01-01-2002, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Clint
. . . I thought you were talking about Dicaprio in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" as the character "Arnie"!!!!!

That is funny!
"We're not going anywhere, WE'RE NOT GOING ANYWHERE!"

Tycho
01-01-2002, 03:38 AM
Watch your Ep 1 DVD's for the Anakin Casting Call feature and you'll see that Jake Lloyd was the best choice!

He did a fine job and I'm glad they had him.

Obi-Don
01-02-2002, 01:10 AM
I really didn't know who Byrne was til I read the post where he played the devil in "End of Days". I think he would be great as Tarkin

evenflow
01-04-2002, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Fulit

I hadn't heard that one but it's an excellent idea and would certainly make up for the Wookie-planet we were supposed to get but didn't in ROTJ, IMO.

I would love to see this as well. I think it would be a great addition to the movie. It would be cool if they had someone who resembled a young Harrison Ford to show the relationship between Han and Chewbacca.

As for Gabriel Byrne, i thiunk he is a great actor. I think he would make a great Tarkin.

Jargo
01-04-2002, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
Watch your Ep 1 DVD's for the Anakin Casting Call feature and you'll see that Jake Lloyd was the best choice!

He did a fine job and I'm glad they had him.
Well, I would] watch my copy of the DVD if I had a DVD player. :( Unfortunately I don't think I'll have one of those until the episode two DVD comes out...

Young Han, Young Chewbacca, Young Boba Fett, Young Anakin, young Greedo, young this that and the other. I'm getting a little concerned that this is going a bit far.
As far as having characters like Tarkin show up in the prequels i can see that happening to show the birth of an Empire and the key figures who made it happen. A younger tarkin moving paperwork around that will lead to a political decision that will lead to a new army getting ships of a devastating nature etc. But having a young Han in there serves no purpose other than to show how good the casting people were at finding a kid who looked like Harrison Ford when he was young. It works better for the story to simply have han show up in the cantina. A man of mystery and intrigue. we don't need to see him until ANH. we don't need to see how he met Chewbacca. Nor do we need to see Leia as a growing girl following 'daddy' Bail Organa around and learning the ways of the diplomat. All the explanation that we need is in the original trilogy. We only need to know that Chewie is the first mate and co-pilot of the Millenium falcon and the fact that he and Han have a close working relationship. It's all in the performances of the actors and the lines we get as clues. There has to be something left to the imagination or the saga won't work at all.
Tarkin doesn't need to be explained just named. Palpatine or Vader telling commander Tarkin to ready the fleet for the jump to the Aquilai system or whatever. We just need to know that he was there at the outset and was on the up. So that when we see him as a Grand Moff we get the idea that he worked his tail off to achieve his rank. As it stands, the OT paints tarkin as important only to the death star as its commander. But obviously he was more than just a commander, he was a regional governor who got drunk on power. For Tarkin to play out correctly in the story arc as it will stand when the films are finished we need to see his ambition and his drive to be powerful and in control. The hint that he might like to usurp the Emperor and the fact that he is obviously important to the Emperor somehow as he talks of Palpatine so casually in ANH that it appears as if they are best of friends.

Han is just a smuggler who is nearly as good as he says he is. He's really nothing special. It's his ego that makes him an interesting character. There's an edge of him not believing what he says himself. What purpose would it serve to show han as a ten year old? About as much as showing a young Greedo. Chewbacca is equally unimportant in the overview. These are great characters who deserve something more than the sketchy characterisations they got in the OT but unless there's going to be spin off movies or at some point a TV series spin off, I can't see them getting any more screen time than they have already got.
Personally, I'd like to see Max Rebo in the prequels somewhere on Coruscant. but that's about as likely as seeing Han or Chewie in them. :)

Tycho
01-04-2002, 10:52 PM
Han is a clone that helps Padme and baby Leia escape the conflict that is his living hell:

with clones serving the Republic and the Confederacy, who does he follow? Who does he take orders from?

"I take orders from just one person - me!"

When he decides that the clone commander, the 18 year old -SLAVE ONE (and the clones ARE used like Slaves, so I am referring to Boba Fett) is given an immoral order to murder an imprisoned ex-Republic Senator and her newborn baby girl, he springs them. When she asks why, the then-11 year old clone trainee (who is Not yet with a Wookiee) says,

"Maybe you'd like it back in your cell, Your Highness?"

So without mention of any name, we ALL know who that boy was!

Mace Windu covers their escape and sacrafices himself, ultimately giving himself to the Force like Obi-Wan did when he vanished - prompting Vader to curse at Fett "No disintegrations!"

(Lucas said one of the movies will go into why Jedi vanish - and obviously Obi-Wan or Yoda can't demonstrate this in the prequels, and Boba must tangle with Mace to avenge the death of his father - and why he was left an orphan in service or slavery to Count Dooku - but no non-Force sensitive 18 year old, clone training or not, is going to defeat a Jedi Master!)

Read the Mace's Death Thread for all the other details on why Han is a clone, how Boba and Mace fit into all of it and so on.

Most of you in this thread participate in that one anyway. But I suggest you read all 3 pages of it if you don't, before you reply with your opinion that "you Do or Do Not want Han to be a lost Clone Soldier, etc." It does make sense, but I don't want to retype everything.

Jargo
01-05-2002, 09:25 AM
No he's not. Stop it now or I shall disintegrate you. han is the wrong skin type to be a clone of Jango or rather a clone of a clone of jango. He isn't right. He's too anglo saxon for that. his hair is the wrong color, his features are too western. He is not a clone he is not a clone repeat after me tycho he is not a clone he is not a clone he is not a clone........ :crazed:

Tycho
01-05-2002, 10:18 AM
I discused it with my friend Doug (he's Steingrabber in SSG forums) and we decided it made sense if the Confederacy started using Clone Soldiers. Han is therefore a clone, just not one from Jango's makers.

Perhaps Kamino rebels and joins the Confederacy or whatever - when the Jedi "take over their clones" per Yoda's and Palpatine's joint orders (because the Clones are Republic Soldiers).

So hence, even in Episode 2, the Fett's are fighting on the OPPOSITE SIDE of a ton of clones of themselves!!!

Jango is killed. Boba, now said to be 14 (not 12?) is orphaned and thus made dependent on Count Dooku, thanks to an act of Mace's. He is witness to all his brethen being programmed and ordered to fight for the Republic. We know they do not rebel against the Republic in Episode 2. I doubt they EVER rebel against the Republic. But the Confederacy is losing droids fast. Perhaps they develop their own cloning technology, or more likely, Kamino, disgruntled with Yoda's usurping their Clones or Palpatine's declaration that they are to be confiscated and put into Republic service due to the war "draft," - well Kamino might join the Confederacy by Episode 3.

They will use a new Clone template - one that produces Han Solo eventually (though he won't be an adult in this film either, but 11 years old by Episode 3).

Meanwhile, Boba Fett is unaware his Master (Dooku, and Dooku's general, Tarkin(?) are actually leading the Confederacy but in league with the corrupt ruler of the Republic, in order to establish an Empire. The Confederate Clones are forced to obey the one chosen as their commander perhaps (Boba Fett?) who is pitting them (more like Mandalorian Commandoes) against the Republic Clones (stormtroopers) - but in essence, fighting their own commanders brothers.

No one knows what side to fight for, and then either the Confederacy is conquered, and the highly skilled commandos go into hiding (one amongst themselves taking the name Denn Solo - meaning "all alone" quite literally) or the Confederate Clone Warriors are integrated into the Empire's army along with the Republic Clones whom which they were just fighting.

All this doesn't make sense to many - the sides are changing too fast for pre-programmed soldiers to forget their battles. Who do they take orders from?

Han: "I take orders from just one person: ME!" and he decides to help Padme escape perhaps in exchange for a ride off-planet even. Mace distracts Boba Fett who cannot avenge his subordinate's betrayal because he is busy fighting the Jedi.

Han is witness to Fett's "defeat" of Mace and hence learns to fear Fett and figures "No hokey religion or ancient weapon is a match for a good blaster at your side," - based on real experience. Though Mace really disintegrates himself - vanishing in the Force. Fett is left without his revenge and without a prize. Thus why he hates Han Solo so much, too.

Jargo - Han Solo is my favorite Star Wars character. Is this some sort of rabid Han fandom on your part, or why the refusal to even speculate along these lines (when it's probably true anyway?)

bigbarada
01-05-2002, 10:46 AM
Han Solo is also my favorite Star Wars character, however I would be very upset if he was shoehorned into the prequels. Especially if he spouts of the exact same dialogue that he did in Ep4. I really don't see where you are making these gigantic leaps of logic. There is no evidence whatsoever of Han Solo being a clone. He's a great character just being a rogue who shows up in the Cantina, no need to get him mixed up in all this clone nonsense.

Jargo
01-05-2002, 10:56 AM
I had hoped you would spot the 'this is not to be taken too seriously or personally' intonation of that last post. hohum, so much for tongue in cheek :rolleyes

I really don't have that much time for han. I don't consider him anything more than a side character, useful to the two twins but not essential. if it hadn't been him it would have been someone equally rogue-ish and scoundrel like.
I prefer the theory that han is just a corellian kid who winds up as a cabin boy on a republic ship who's pilot is captain Antilles (ANH). Antilles is working as pilot for Organa on one of the Alderaanian vessels.
At some point Padme is held captive by alpatine in order to bring Anakins anger to the fore. But Obi-Wan working with Organa plot to rescue Padme (who is heavily pregnant and almost full term) And Antilles is the getaway driver as it were. Of course they need the help of Antilles to grab Padme while Organa distracts the officials surrounding Palpatines stronghold and Obi tackles the guards around the 'prison'.
It is Antilles who in fact rescues Padme and gets her offworld and safely to Alderaan. Han is the cabin boy who helps Antilles as Padme goes into early labor (caused by stress) and gives birth to the twins in hyperspace.
Organa and Obi then casually leave Coruscant and head for Alderaan themselves where they hatch the plan to split the twins and hide Padme as a servant with Leia being adopted by Organa.

I really don't see any relevence in the clone theory. it just complicates things even more. Working out who's a clone and who isn't is something that is best left to the armies in general not to specific characters. it's enough that we have one clone in Boba fett to contend with. like I say, han can only be a bit player in the prequels if indeed he is there at all. I think George will leave him out altogether to be honest. :)

Tycho
01-05-2002, 05:14 PM
Han was always intended to be a Main Character, Jargo. I doubt many would defend a theory that he is not. That just doesn't fly. His story of redemption is part of Star Wars, too.

- Emperor Jargo:

I prefer the theory that han is just a corellian kid who winds up as a cabin boy on a republic ship who's pilot is captain Antilles (ANH). Antilles is working as pilot for Organa on one of the Alderaanian vessels.
At some point Padme is held captive by alpatine in order to bring Anakins anger to the fore. But Obi-Wan working with Organa plot to rescue Padme (who is heavily pregnant and almost full term)

People live and die every day in the Republic. It is not a Jedi's perogative to rescue specific individuals, especially ones they have no specific reason to be attached to. ANAKIN is the one professing boundless devotion to Padme. Obi-Wan would care, but never go to rescue her - I don't think he knows she's pregnant yet (which would make a difference) He hasn't seen her in 4 years I think. Bail Organa would not care. He has no motivation yet (see the Mace's Death thread and read it...) Padme and Bail are not any kind of lovers or betrothed royalty. Jimmy Smits would have been passed up in favor of a younger actor, but lets not even go there...) Meanwhile, while it might be nice to see where Captain Antilles fits into this whole thing, I've seen plenty of people post that they don't want everyone's background - such as Wuher's opinion about Republic politics "a comparison study." You are elevating Captain Antilles' importance above HAN SOLO'S!!!! Again, I know - you don't think Han is a main character. (?!?!?!??????) Well, beyond that Antilles comes from possibly a Royal house on Alderaan and I want an ANH action figure of him - Antilles is not even an important character!!!

- more of Jargo's new theory....

And Antilles is the getaway driver as it were. Of course they need the help of Antilles to grab Padme while Organa distracts the officials surrounding Palpatines stronghold and Obi tackles the guards around the 'prison'.
It is Antilles who in fact rescues Padme and gets her offworld and safely to Alderaan. Han is the cabin boy who helps Antilles as Padme goes into early labor (caused by stress) and gives birth to the twins in hyperspace.
Organa and Obi then casually leave Coruscant and head for Alderaan themselves where they hatch the plan to split the twins and hide Padme as a servant with Leia being adopted by Organa.

Maybe. I think if the importance of a Jedi baby (no one likely knows it will be twins at this point) is determined, then Mace will help rescue Padme, because Obi-Wan would be appropriate to go and handle his crazy ex-padawan. Antilles might be in the scenes with Mace - and they are being tracked by Boba Fett as we discussed in the Mace's Death Thread.

I really don't see any relevence in the clone theory. it just complicates things even more. Working out who's a clone and who isn't is something that is best left to the armies in general not to specific characters. it's enough that we have one clone in Boba fett to contend with. like I say, han can only be a bit player in the prequels if indeed he is there at all. I think George will leave him out altogether to be honest. :)

Of course Han will only be a bit-player in the prequels, he's only 11 years old! It'll be an important cameo though - and a betrayal of Fett for sure!

Meanwhile Han...................vs.......................... ...Fett

1) custom ship.............................................. .custom ship
2) survival skills on Hoth...........................known survivor
3) knows to hook on Star Destroyer..........knows where Han went
4) fears him as his best adversary..........knows Han's his key proverbial thorn
5) trained to be resourceful.....................very resourceful
6) same height in all references...................same height, as if bred
7) clone that breaks the rules; rebel..........clone that did his duty as "slave one"
8) betrayer.......................................... ......betrayed
9) destined to be right for Leia.................thwarted by rival to get Leia & mother

Look, you're missing the irony - Han always says he's not signing up with the rebels, but the very definition of what he is makes him the one that is more a 'rebel' than Luke ever is.

"No mystical energy field controls my destiny" - but Obi-Wan laughs knowing that a plot thick in the Dark Side of the Force is the very reason why Han exists! He is one 'defective product' that resulted from the Sith secretly encouraging armies of Han's kind. - Though Han is from a Confederate template, and Jango and Boba are from a Republic one. Likely both Kaminoan production and programming though - makes sense if they are so much alike.

Han is confused as an 11 year old by the Clones switching sides - his superiors (above Fett) in the Confederacy suddenly surrendering to the Republic - which isn't a Republic anymore but is becoming some new Empire. He doesn't know who to follow.

"I take orders from just one person - ME!"

I'm sorry you dislike the idea, or Han Solo's importance to the Classic Trilogy so much that you are blind to the ideas here, Jargo.

Before you offer a rebuttal, and I know you will, consider the theory carefully. Don't just argue because you "can't be wrong." A sign of wisdom is to consider all possibilities. Maybe you'll even find Han's being a clone to be cool given time...

JonoFett
01-06-2002, 05:51 PM
If anyone looks uncannily like the late Peter Cushing it is Ralph Fiennes (Schindler's List). What do you think about him playing the younger Tarkin in Episode III? Discuss.

JediTricks
01-06-2002, 11:09 PM
Seems like an adequate, if a little soft-spoken, choice. However, I think Ralf ;) has the "fire in his belly" that made Tarkin a dangerous, well-mannered evil character, so it may be a good match.

2-1B
09-04-2005, 02:15 AM
Gabriel Byrne was in the Usual Suspects. He played Keaton.

He was also Satan in that crappy Ah-nuld movie End Of Days.

And the Priest in Stigmata.

D'artangan in Man in the Iron Mask with Leo.

And Uther Pendragon (Aurthur's father) in Excalibur waaaayy back in 1981...

You forgot his best performance and role of Tom in Miller's Crossing. :)