PDA

View Full Version : Ran into 2 SW collectors today. One was cool and the other was jerk!

Turbowars
12-10-2003, 07:22 PM
I asked if they posted on SSG or RS and they just looked at me, like no one is suposed to ask that. One of the guys says he reads the site, but says it's to much of a bother to post. Like waking up early everyday to hunt SW isn't a bother? Strange. The other guy didn't say a word. He was looking for a prefect Tat padme. I left thinking, man I hope other people or collectors don't see me as I saw them. I like to be friendly with other collectors, but it's like I was envading their territory. The nicer of the 2 did offer me a batman figure, but what the hell would I do with that. I wondering if it was a hot item. Oh well, just thought I would share that with you all.

kool-aid killer
12-10-2003, 09:26 PM
Ive only ran into one other Star Wars collector in my hunts and when i asked if he used SSG he said he didnt have a computer so i let it go. I know i cant be the only one here looking for toys because it seems that lately ive been getting someones leftovers. But i try to be friendly, not in a suspicious way though, to all people i meet. If they arent civil enough to act the same towards me then screw them.

dr_evazan22
12-10-2003, 09:57 PM
I met a guy at Midnight Madness last year that I see every now and then. He's seems pretty cool; we exchange the "what we've found" stories, and try to give tips on where to go.

stillakid
12-11-2003, 12:09 AM
I asked if they posted on SSG or RS and they just looked at me, like no one is suposed to ask that. One of the guys says he reads the site, but says it's to much of a bother to post. Like waking up early everyday to hunt SW isn't a bother? Strange. The other guy didn't say a word. He was looking for a prefect Tat padme. I left thinking, man I hope other people or collectors don't see me as I saw them. I like to be friendly with other collectors, but it's like I was envading their territory. The nicer of the 2 did offer me a batman figure, but what the hell would I do with that. I wondering if it was a hot item. Oh well, just thought I would share that with you all.

Oh, that was you? ;)

bobafrett
12-11-2003, 12:41 AM
I spent a good three hours talking to a collector between TRU and Target. He was a nice guy and we exchanged some of our collecting stories. I told him to come check out this site, and so far he has posted at least once. It was cool, and it was good that he was also a Cubs fan, which kept the conversation going.

Turbowars
12-11-2003, 12:55 AM
Oh, that was you? ;) LOL, That's one of the reasons I posted this. I just thought there would be a chance for one of those yoyos to reply. I know what you look like stilla;)

fishyfett
12-11-2003, 12:29 PM
I've talked to a few (SW) collectors and somehow, most of them are kinda fleeting and suspicious. Like you're gonna rob them of their finds. Or charm your way in so they'll give it up. Hell if I want to do that, I'd just use the 'Force'. I'd force the electronic lightsaber up theirs and pick up their toys. Ok, that was pretty mean. I'm only kidding. But again, some of them can be pretty aloof. Why, I don't know. I try to be as cordial and as helpful, so I know its not me. Oh well, I met a few cool dudes, so that evens it out. Weird how one guy was clutching his 2 Ephant Mons close to his chest while he was talking to me. And I was holding 2 myself!!! People will always be weird. :crazed:

I am Jabba the Hutt
12-14-2003, 10:30 PM
I felt strange on April 23rd 2002. I was first in TRU at 9am and all of the workers were asking me "which will be the most popular figure?" cause there I was with a shopping cart and they must have been thinking "geek!".

Nothing wrong with talking to fellow collectors though. I would have no problem talking to a fellow collector who understands why we spend 10 minutes comparing two figures to find the best paint job etc lol lol

Old Fossil
12-14-2003, 11:17 PM
I only know one other SW collector personally, and while he's addicted to Ebay I can't seem to get him to log on and participate on this site, or any other (that I know of, anyway). Shame, really. He's one of those that LOVES to tell me about upcoming items he's seen in ToyFare; I usually just nod and smile without telling him I saw pics of those same items a month earlier on SSG. :bored:

stillakid
12-15-2003, 09:17 AM
I felt strange on April 23rd 2002. I was first in TRU at 9am and all of the workers were asking me "which will be the most popular figure?" cause there I was with a shopping cart and they must have been thinking "geek!".

I'll wager they were thinking "geek," but also they wanted to know which figures to pull from the boxes so they could make a little extra xmas cash on Ebay. :dead:

darthzirock
12-15-2003, 11:51 AM
I've actually met quite a few collectors in the stores, and have struck up friendships with two of them. There is also a collector on the staff of our local public library, and in 2000 we pooled our figures to create a display of action figures from movies that were based on books. (Remember, the novelization of Star Wars was originally released in December 1976 by DelRey.) We had some vintage Kenner figures next to the library's hardcover copy of the SW novelization, some SOTE figures next to a copy of that book, and some EU figures next to a copy of Heir to the Empire. Besides SW figures, we had McFarlane's Sleepy Hollow Headless Horseman posed next to a copy of "Tales of Washington Irving"; a Sideshow Toys Frankenstein's Monster next to a copy of Mary Shelly's book; Flatt World Figures' Bela Lugosi as Dracula next to Bram Stoker's novel; a Hasbro Batman next to a collection of classic Batman comics; and the original four Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles next to a collection of the original comics.

When it comes to meeting other collectors in the aisles of TRU, WM, KB, Target, Kmart, or wherever, I find most of them to be very friendly, and often eager to share info on what recent finds they've made. I've spent a good hour talking at TRU with SW collectors, finding out that most of them collect other figure lines, too--LOTR is the 2nd most-popular line after SW right now, with MOTU, Mattel's JL and Batman, The Simpsons, and Spawn following closely behind.

A lot of these people don't post on collecting sites such as this one, but they usually have at least heard of them. I've tried to organize interest in a Star Wars collecting club, but most collectors in my area are just too busy. (This being North Carolina, many are involved in church groups, or Boy and/or Girl Scouts with their kids.) Still, a few of us met up in May 2002 to go see AOTC together, and we keep in touch via e-mail and phone calls about which stores have what.

I dunno, maybe people are just friendlier and less suspicious in the South?

JediCole
12-17-2003, 03:01 PM
I've run across a very few collectors in the stores these days, mostly I meet them at shows or in our shop. I did meet DingoDad many years ago at a TRU in Arlington when he overheard me talking to another collector I've long since lost touch with. We closed the TRU and what was at the time a bookstore in the same center (which closed at 11:00 PM). We continued to talk for some time after until Mrs. JediCole came and found me exactly where she expected. At the TRU parking lot talking to someone about Star Wars toys!

DarthBrandon
12-17-2003, 05:31 PM
Mrs. JediCole came and found me exactly where she expected. At the TRU parking lot talking to someone about Star Wars toys!

Typical how the Mrs. always knows where to find a collector whether it's S.W., LOTR, Super Hero’s, etc, we are always in the same spot. :D

I have met several collectors at the stores (Wal-Mart, TRU, Zellers, (Target, K&B (while I was in the U.S.)) and I must say for the most part everyone I met was nice and eager to make conversation except for one guy (in Canada) who was an absolute jackass that was rude to a kid and I while we were checking out the new S.W. figures back when Episode II came out, he literally butted in front of the kid because he wanted a Dooku and the Yoda that was out at the time. It turns out that the kid was looking for Yoda as well, so I reached into my shopping cart and gave him one of the two I had (because I was opening one to display and one to keep carded, silly habit that I pretty much broke by now). The collector saw this and asked if I wanted to part with one of my Dooku's or the other Yoda and I said no they were for another collector and myself. He then asked why I would give a kid a Yoda and not him a fellow collector, I then told him to re-evaluate what he just did and when he figures it out only then will he know the answer to the question. :D Needless to say the collector was P.O.'d, the kid was happy and I was happy, I never did find another carded Yoda for myself, but I did find one for another member here on SSG. I guess the moral of this story is if you are rude (pushing kids out of the way) then you don't get my respect as a fellow collector and you sure as hell don't get the Dooku that you could have had if you had been nice to the kid. I'd rather see a kid smile like my son does when he gets a new toy rather than make a jerk happy any day. IMO This is a hobby for me and if ever the day comes that I start pushing kids out of the way for any toy, I'll quit collecting all together and find a new hobby because kids only learn what they see from adults even if some of us are still big kids in grown up bodies. :crazed:

Deoxyribonucleic
12-18-2003, 12:58 AM
When I run into other fellow collectors, the first words usually are "are you getting those for your son?" And then they find out it's for me and are pretty cool only because I'm a girrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl though ;)

teehee

Actually though I ran into this guy once and he was extremely secretive...like he was the only one that collected star wars or something hehe :eek:

InsaneJediGirl
12-31-2003, 09:42 PM
I've never met anyone,ever.Not that it bothers me,must be a very secret,anti-anti-social group of geeks hanging out around here somewhere.If your reading this,can I join :D?

tgr3328
01-22-2004, 02:25 PM
Perhaps some Star Wars collectors, like myself, are not sure what the average Joe is going to think of a grown man who collects toys. It is reassuring to see that there are so many fanatical collectors out there.

Kidhuman
01-23-2004, 11:35 AM
I have met a few collectoprs in my travels. SOme are cool and some are (insert explitive here). I try to be frioendly with them and all, try to help them out and pump info at the same time outta them.

And is it me or does anyone else when getting figures at Wal-Mart or other places where you get other stuff as well, get a strange look when you ask the cashier to bag the figures seperatley from other stuff?

kool-aid killer
01-23-2004, 12:00 PM
I get funny looks from the cashiers wherever im at. I try to get older women to ring up my toys because they dont give off as much of a nasty attitude as youngsters do. But im not saying all cashiers are mean people, some might have had bad experiences with collectors and so they are wary of us. And on my past two hunts i have ran into those Hot Wheels collectors some of you talk about. They go psycho digging through the pegs.

bobafrett
01-23-2004, 02:50 PM
And is it me or does anyone else when getting figures at Wal-Mart or other places where you get other stuff as well, get a strange look when you ask the cashier to bag the figures seperatley from other stuff?

I just try to make sure they don't just throw them into the bag, explaining that they may be toys, but they are collectibles and are cherished by me. I generally don't buy anything else on my toy runs, except maybe a soda, but that is left out of the bag, don't need it sweating on my toys!

Dark Marble
01-23-2004, 04:02 PM
I rarely run into other collectors on my runs, but the ones I do see are very quite and to the point. I talked to more collectors on a friendly level when I worked at KB or Toys R Us then I do now as an average citizen. But mostly I think collectors love to talk shop which is why we are all here. I love coming to the boards to talk about my fanaticism. :crazed:

CaptainSolo1138
01-24-2004, 12:55 AM
When I worked at Target (no, store employees don't get more than normal collectors :crazed: ) I would always make conversation with the collectors. There are a few that I still run into occasionally. There seems to be a surprisingly large concentration of fellow geeks in this area, so Midnite Madness type situations are always a blast. I recommend Saginaw, MI to anyone looking to make plans in April of 2005!

bobafrett
01-24-2004, 02:02 AM
CaptainSolo1138, if you don't mind me asking, how do you like working for Target? The reason I ask is, I put in an application earlier this week, and they called today, but I wasn't home. They are supposed to call back tomorrow, and I'm thinking it may be for an interview. I always enjoy shopping at Target as most stores are pretty clean. I'm nervous as I haven't had a job interview in 8 years. Any tips? What to wear, etc?

Kidhuman
01-24-2004, 04:00 AM
Yes Bobafrett,

Dont offer up anymore information than what they ask for. Wear something nice, dont think a shirt and tie, but it couldnt hurt. DOntgo in Jeans and a tee. Maybe a nice button down shirt and khakis, along those lines. Good luck to you on the interview

Turbowars
01-24-2004, 12:45 PM
Yes Bobafrett,

Dont offer up anymore information than what they ask for. Wear something nice, dont think a shirt and tie, but it couldnt hurt. DOntgo in Jeans and a tee. Maybe a nice button down shirt and khakis, along those lines. Good luck to you on the interviewand don't say you are a huge Star Wars collector. I could see the hiring manager tossing your app. They don't want a employees sticking around the toy section or warehouse toy hunting when they should be stocking the the cat food and underwear.

sith_killer_99
01-24-2004, 12:52 PM
They don't want a employees sticking around the toy section or warehouse toy hunting when they should be stocking the the cat food and underwear.

hehehe "cat food and underwear."

That's a funny combination. hehehe

I have to agree with Turbo on this one. If they ask just tell 'em your family is your hobby. Management likes to hear stuff like that. They like stability!

Turbowars
01-24-2004, 01:05 PM
hehehe "cat food and underwear."

That's a funny combination. hehehe

I have to agree with Turbo on this one. If they ask just tell 'em your family is your hobby. Management likes to hear stuff like that. They like stability!LOL, I shop there a lot. Between a warehouse store and Target, I don't step foot in a grocery store, do to the strick that has lasted 3+ months. Back to target, I wonder if they will ask what section you would like to work in? I ask, because at my local Target there's this nice young lady that is always in the toy section. No one else but her. I guess if they ask you could mention the toys section along with some others.

sith_killer_99
01-24-2004, 01:26 PM
My brother-in-law has worked part time at Babies 'R' Us off and on for years. He often gets good employee discounts.

CaptainSolo1138
01-24-2004, 02:47 PM
CaptainSolo1138, if you don't mind me asking, how do you like working for Target? The reason I ask is, I put in an application earlier this week, and they called today, but I wasn't home. They are supposed to call back tomorrow, and I'm thinking it may be for an interview. I always enjoy shopping at Target as most stores are pretty clean. I'm nervous as I haven't had a job interview in 8 years. Any tips? What to wear, etc?

I loved it there. I only quit after a scheduling snafu. I was hired on the spot (around Christmas time). They're normally really good to their employees and you just can't beat the hot chicks that seem to congregate there!!
I recommend you take the job if you get the chance!!
Target is very lax about how their employees look. I've got earrings in both ears and a tongue piercing. I worked with a girl that was a piercer and she had at least 15 in her head. Since my interview was on the spot, I was wearing a t-shirt and khakis. Don't stress it.

bobafrett
01-24-2004, 04:19 PM
I went out today and bought some cream colored khakis and a red sweater, this way I'll look like I was meant to work at a Target. The one sad thing is, I used to be a size 32, and I can wear a size 36 jeans, but the size 36 khakis I tried on looked "tight", so I had to get a size 38. I'm sure once I'm up and working the morning shift, it will be easier for me to get motivated to work back down into a size 32, although as I'm closing in on 39 years of age, it will be a lot harder to lose the weight.

Thanks for your advice everyone, wish me luck.

Now back to the topic...... Running over Star Wars collectors you don't like (or something like that)

Kidhuman
01-24-2004, 06:48 PM
Wish you luck on the interview, but if I see you in a store grabbing my Jedi Luke, I wont be so nice. :D :D :D :D

bobafrett
01-25-2004, 01:52 AM
Just don't wait to run me over outside the store! I'm havig to tip a few beers tonight to help me sleep, otherwise I'll be up all night worrying to much about the interview. I'm hoping to get a job soon with vacation time, so I can take time off for CIII in April 2005. A pretty stange goal I must say!

JediTricks
01-25-2004, 04:48 AM
Pardon my moving this to Gen Disc, but it finally dawned on me that this thread isn't about other specific SW collectibles, but collecting in general.

Anyway, I used to chat around with collectors at the stores, but since '98 or so, mostly the regular collectors around here don't like to talk while the scalpers are sometimes ridiculously chatty (and they'll proudly tell you all their great scalper tricks if you let 'em).

sith_killer_99
01-25-2004, 01:38 PM
the scalpers are sometimes ridiculously chatty (and they'll proudly tell you all their great scalper tricks if you let 'em).

Sickening, do they realize how much they are hated? :Pirate:

Turbowars
01-25-2004, 01:52 PM
Sickening, do they realize how much they are hated? :Pirate:Yesterday when I found the R1 wave, the Hot wheels guys all ran as always, that's nothing new, but today they got into my SW figures. As I was walking out, a said to Gambit (new member here at SSG) out loud, I can't believe these morons run to the toys. They just looked at me and went on with looking through the pegs. I mean these guys aren't just into Hot wheels anymore. They 1st run to HW, then SW, LOTR, sports picks, simsons, and everything else they can sell on e-bay. The funny thing was they took both of the Jedi Lukes, but left the Bar-2's and R1's. It doesn't take much to get me mad (it's my job) and I really want to beat the crap out of all of them. Then a I say to myself, now now Matt, you don't want to go to jail over HW collectors. It just puts it in perspective. Man I need a vacation, but that's another story.:ermm: ;)

kool-aid killer
01-25-2004, 02:01 PM
Thats the bad thing about collecting, youve got people who arent into the lines going and snatching up the hard to find figures just so that they can make a few extra dollars, and the regular fan who really wants that figure is left out in the cold.

sith_killer_99
01-25-2004, 02:14 PM
Figures from lines I don't collect that I have passed up in the store include:

Yellow Costume Dare Devil
Clear Twilight Frodo

Oh well, I don't collect the lines, so what good would they do me, though I'm sure some scalper got at least one of them. :rolleyes:

Karmic payback...I found a lone Ephant Mon in mint condition on an out of state trip, there have been others, but this one just sticks out. :D

kool-aid killer
01-25-2004, 02:21 PM
Ive passed up multiple of the He Man short packed figures. The only way i can see myself buying a figure outside of the four lines i collect right now is if i really like the figure, or somebody is looking for one. I could care less about trivial variations, stamp dates, paint changes etc. Nice score on the Ephant, SK99.

Turbowars
01-25-2004, 05:17 PM
Figures from lines I don't collect that I have passed up in the store include:

Yellow Costume Dare Devil
Clear Twilight Frodo

Oh well, I don't collect the lines, so what good would they do me, though I'm sure some scalper got at least one of them. :rolleyes:

Karmic payback...I found a lone Ephant Mon in mint condition on an out of state trip, there have been others, but this one just sticks out. :DDude, I would have picked that Frodo up and threw on e-bay. Quick 100 bucks. :evil: I guess that would have had to be before KB put them up for 14.99 on the web site. The thing is, I really don't care to look at the other toys, so I would miss something rare anyways.

Kidhuman
01-25-2004, 06:50 PM
The thing is, I really don't care to look at the other toys, so I would miss something rare anyways.

I am so the same way. I never look at any other toy line. I dont like em that much. Every once and awhile I look at the sports figures and pick up a Yankee figure. I do have some other lines such as Yellow SUbmarine, and a few Simpsons figures. Also have the Chris Walken from Sleepy Hollow. But for the most part, I go to SW and leave. I am not gonna buy anything else.

DarthChuckMc
01-25-2004, 08:20 PM
We've actually converted one local HW collector :D Since he makes the rounds before most of us get a chance, he picks up SW, Sports Picks, LOTR...buys them, and sells them to us at cost. If we don't need them, he just returns them.

For the most part, HW guys around here are scumbags. There are a few other collectors that will buy anything and everything to sell on eBay, "so they can pay for their collections".

sith_killer_99
01-25-2004, 10:16 PM
I don't collect any other lines anymore, though I was into a few others for a while. I had a really nice Movie Maniacs collection going for a while.

I enjoy looking at the other lines from time to time just to see what is out there.

The Twilight Frodo was hanging on the pegs at a Wal-Mart near me right after the TTT movie figs came out. I happened to notice that these were the first TTT figures I had seen so I decided to give 'em a look. I saw the clear plastic Frodo and said "WOW!"

I was tempted to buy it, but decided against it. I never got into the LOTR figures and didn't want one of the local collectors to miss out on a truely cool figure. I would never really appreciate it the way a LOTR collector would. Maybe I was just thinking how annoyed I get when a non-SW collector buys up all the hot figures.

I did check Ebay later, just to see what it was going for and my jaw droped! LOL

Turbowars
01-25-2004, 10:21 PM
I don't collect any other lines anymore, though I was into a few others for a while. I had a really nice Movie Maniacs collection going for a while.

I enjoy looking at the other lines from time to time just to see what is out there.

The Twilight Frodo was hanging on the pegs at a Wal-Mart near me right after the TTT movie figs came out. I happened to notice that these were the first TTT figures I had seen so I decided to give 'em a look. I saw the clear plastic Frodo and said "WOW!"

I was tempted to buy it, but decided against it. I never got into the LOTR figures and didn't want one of the local collectors to miss out on a truely cool figure. I would never really appreciate it the way a LOTR collector would. Maybe I was just thinking how annoyed I get when a non-SW collector buys up all the hot figures.

I did check Ebay later, just to see what it was going for and my jaw droped! LOLI highly doubt that any collector that bought the Clear Frodo at retail kept it. There was too much money on the line.

bobafrett
01-26-2004, 12:20 AM
I collect very little outside the Star Wars line, however I have bought Cubs sports figures, and the big muppets sets. The main reason being, I just can't afford a whole lot else. There have been lots of other lines that have caught my eye, but I have to go within my budget.

Wish I had seen a clear Frodo, but I really don't know what's worth what even in my own collection.

JediTricks
01-26-2004, 06:47 PM
Sickening, do they realize how much they are hated? :Pirate:That's an interesting question. I don't know the answer, they seem sorta casually proud about their dealings, so I get the feeling they don't see it or don't choose to see it.

Turbo, that mad dash thing is freaky, I'm surprised these stores allow it, it's got to be a risk to their insurance. I've only been to a few store openings, but each and every time it's been this way - I've always wondered if someone ever went down and caused a pile-up. :D

It really bothers me how these stores cater to these HW guys, not the average collector, but these hoarder/scalpers who buy stuff outside of their own line to make a quick buck by claiming it's to pay for their collections. These guys buy whole cases of HW for the rare cars too and then the store employees are so happy to see all this stuff sell that they don't realize that A) this stuff is what keeps their regular customers coming in and they're who keeps the store in business; and B) most of these HW guys end up returning all the cars for their money back when they're not popular anymore, so the store ends up with product they can't move anyway.

Seems like the fun and relative-nobility of collecting is long gone now, and we're left with users and desparates.

mabudonicus
01-26-2004, 07:11 PM
I've actually been pretty heavy into Marvel Heroclix, and a lot of the attitudes that surround HW seem to be strong with them, too... people think I don't know what I'm doing, offering fairly valuable pieces which I acquired by accident ( you can't see the figures in packages, so you get what you get)...
I guess it's my own little Blow against the Empire, as the artificial value of the things is just sick and it hurts to know that "adults" are ruining a lot of good things with ruthless profiteering to a point where I wouldn't be at all shocked to hear of people commiting crimes in the quest to obtain them.......
It's funny, but ever since the "collectible" market got mainstream in the 80's or so, actual collectibles kinda don't exist... once everyone has a mint copy of a "special" comic book, it's not the big deal it used to be, like say lucking right out and finding a near-mint copy of FF #1...... how many "limited" issues of SPAWN books are out there, pristine.... if the thing is "special" when it's released, it almost can't be special in any way....

It's that kind of crazy concept that makes it possible to understand how (and whether it was a misprint, I dunno, but I saw it in Toyfare, mebbe more than once) a loose fig is far more rare than the packaged one, MOMC..... LOL

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
01-26-2004, 11:10 PM
I have run into a few odd collectors here and there (and I mean odd literally) :D

They seem to be nice people, the anti-scalper type. I am the one who usually strikes the conversation, as for me, meeting a fellow Star Wars collector, is tantamount to having a discussion of history or a t.v. show. In fact, I met Sinister Lord, a fellow WNY collector through SirSteves. We made a trade and chatted for a bit before parting. We've talked a lot since then (through Just Found section of the forum) met have never seen each other since then.

I also know there are bunch of collectors who regulary meet once a month in downtown Buffalo, but for some reason I haven't participated in one of these events yet. I have been invited, yet haven't gotten the nerve to go (not that I am intimidated or anything). It usually happens on a week night, which is bad for me. Yet I hope to connect with my Star Wars brethen one of these days.

kool-aid killer
01-27-2004, 11:41 AM
There is a fan club in my city that has a website where people can join. I wouldnt mind having some collecting buddies, but at the same time i wonder whether i would feel comfortable with them or not.