PDA

View Full Version : Transition cards and other sillyness from Hasbro

sith_killer_99
12-11-2003, 01:07 AM
...or...

The infamous 2003 Saga re-carded Gold Saga figures.

OK, I want to discuss the sillyness of Hasbro re-carding the 2003 figures. Let's start with all the facts.

Starting with the 2003 figures Hasbro changed the design of their Saga cards, and it was good.

Then, after just 16 figures, they again changed the packaging to include a Gold stripe along the left side of the card. This is used to denote the movie that the particular figure is from.

Then Hasbro decided to re-issue figures from the earlier 2003 line. Presumably because these were popular figures and Hasbro wanted to meet the demand for them.

However, Hasbro also decided that they were going to take the time (and money) to invest in redesiging the cards to fit in with the new Gold card line.

But, they decide that they will only re-issue 7 of the original 16 taht came without the Gold stripe. Not the [B]last[B] 7 mind you, but numbers 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 15 and 16!

What kind of sense does this make? I mean, I can see it from a certain point of view. They were the popular figures, so they were the ones re-released. Nut if they didn't intend to re-release all of 'em on Gold cards then why bother changing the cards at all?

The "Completist" in me wants to scream Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

However, I am no longer a "Completist" thanks to a few truely horrible figures in the SAGA line. But this does not stop me from collecting variations of good figures. ;) Had Hasbro re-released R2-D2, Lama Su and Chewbacca on the GOld cards I would have bought them. They are good figures...well...I would have suffered another R2-D2 Factory flight, simply because he looks good in the pkg. In any event, at least it would have shown some consistancy.

Now we are left with a mess similar to the Freeze Frame re-releases of 98, the big difference here being that the figures are numbered.

Am I the only one here annoyed by what Hasbro has done? Am I just on a late night rant? Probably. :) But it's still frustrating. LOL

bobafrett
12-11-2003, 01:18 AM
...or...

The infamous 2003 Saga re-carded Gold Saga figures.

I would have suffered another R2-D2 Factory flight, simply because he looks good in the pkg.

What, what, what? Are you blind? I thought R2 Factory flight was the worst figure I have seen in or out of the package. I'm sorry, maybe I'm tired, but if they were to release that gawd awful figure again in the new gold edge package, I would have to pass on it. I bought two in the old package, and I'd return both if I hadn't opened one of them, and the second was needed for my completeist collecting efforts.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-12-2003, 11:09 AM
2003 wasn't a great year for distribution. These figs are kind of hard to find in some areas. And besides, the rereleases from early 2003 on the new cards are still numbered the same number they were assigned this year.

What bothers me about this, is they changed the tagline of Aayla and Barriss from Jedi Knight and Luminara Unduli's Padawan to Battle of Geonosis. Not a big deal, but still . . .

sith_killer_99
12-12-2003, 11:52 AM
2003 wasn't a great year for distribution. These figs are kind of hard to find in some areas. And besides, the rereleases from early 2003 on the new cards are still numbered the same number they were assigned this year.

Yeah, but the funny thing is, these are still showing up on the old cards in my area, and now I have them showing up on the new cards in my area. Yep, both versions have now hit my area within a week of each other.

I guess my point is more...Why bother to change the cards in the first place? Hasbro has been shipping both card versions (off and on) in the same case since the Vader Luke Snowtrooper wave hit back in April/May.

plo koon 200
12-12-2003, 12:03 PM
I wish they would re-release all of them. I have yet to get figures 1,2,and 14. I don't see those seeing re-release. Around where I lived Aayla has been by far the most common SAGA figure of the year.

TheDarthVader
12-12-2003, 01:08 PM
I have been lucky because I have had the time to search for figures. If not, I would not have half the figures that I have. I am caught up (because of the three figures I found today) for the year and already have three figures (Luke Hoth, Hoth Trooper, and R-3PO) that are due out in 04! I was excited to find them because now I don't have to look for a while. I have only EVER seen TWO snowtroopers at retail. I need about 6 or 7 more for my loose AT-AT. Hasbro needs to release more of the snowtrooper wave.

B.
TDV

sith_killer_99
12-12-2003, 01:25 PM
I wish they would re-release all of them. I have yet to get figures 1,2,and 14. I don't see those seeing re-release. Around where I lived Aayla has been by far the most common SAGA figure of the year.

Where you live?!?!

Where is that? The Twilight zone? LOL j/k

Out here Obi-Wan, Mace and Chewbacca were all plentyful for months. I can still find 'em, though the packaging leaves something to be desired. Meanwhile, I only run into Aayla every now and then, hardly a peg warmer out here.

I guess every area is different when it comes to what they get. Although, everyone seems to be getting the last waves of '03 and the first 1-2 waves of '04 right now. :classic:

Silent Chazz
12-12-2003, 07:22 PM
I've already mentioned how awful I think of my walmart is out here. The Pegwarmers are Bespin Luke, Bespin Vader, and Endor Han (with the Charges).

Sinister Lord
12-13-2003, 10:10 AM
I don't see how this slight card variation (gold stripe vs. no gold stripe) is all that different than the holosticker vs. no holosticker variations of the POTF2 line. This is nothing particularly noteworthy, nor should "completists" feel like they need to buy all these card variations.

I firmly believe that it is virtually impossible to be a "completist" when it comes to collecting Star Wars figures, so I think most collectors should give up on that philosophy anyway.

sith_killer_99
12-15-2003, 06:01 AM
I don't see how this slight card variation (gold stripe vs. no gold stripe) is all that different than the holosticker vs. no holosticker variations of the POTF2 line.

Um because there is no sticker. It's actually more like the Orange Card/Green Card variations. Considering that the overall cards design was changed, plus the "Gold" cards have a much darker blue color to them. The change may seem minor, but it is striking none the less.

I firmly believe that it is virtually impossible to be a "completist" when it comes to collecting Star Wars figures, so I think most collectors should give up on that philosophy anyway.

You are entitled to your beliefs of course. But I suppose it all depends on your point of view. There are many different philosophies when it comes to being a "completist".

1. One of every basic 3 3/4 inch figure, loose.

2. One of every basic 3 3/4 inch figure carded.

3. One of every basic 3 3/4 inch figure carded including "variations" but not "errors".

4. One of every basic 3 3/4 inch figure carded including "variations" and "errors".

5. One of everything 3 3/4 inch scale figures, ships, etc. loose.

6. One of everything 3 3/4 inch scale carded/boxed.

and on and on and on.

You see being a "completist" does not always mean being a MOMC collector. Nor does being a MOMC "completist" collector mean that you collect all the variations. It's a very gray area, depending greatly on ones own point of view.

For example, the Sandtrooper was released on an Orange card, Green card (with anf without holofoil) and Freeze Frame card. Yet if you ask any collector which one they would rather have (MOMC), they will most likely tell you that they would like to have the Freeze Frame Sandtrooper.

I guess what I'm really trying to say, is that I don't think anyone should give up on their philosophy of collecting. Everyone here collects differently. Its what makes our collections uniquely ours. It keeps this hobby interesting and gives us more to talk about and think about. But that's just my opinion. ;)