PDA

View Full Version : What's the most expensive item you've purchased

stillakid
12-11-2003, 10:07 PM
:greedy:

To date, what's the most expensive item you've purchased for your collection? Is it a rare action figure or maybe a quality "collectable?" Did you maybe put together an entire Stormtrooper costume or assemble a collection of soda cans or trading cards?

With that in mind, what do you think you've spent on everything Star Wars so far in your life? Given current prices, can you project what you think you'll spend from here on out?

Just wonderin'. ;)

(by the way, I have to put a little thought into the questions myself...)

Dr Zoltar
12-11-2003, 11:12 PM
Well the item I spent the most on was the Silver Vader from the Toy Fair convention. I really wanted this item and I think I spent somewhere around $150 on it on the secondary market. I know some of you are rolling your eyes, but I wasn't one of the lucky who logged onto the fan club website during the 30 minutes it was available and got it for $10 plus shipping. The price for it was offset by some of the great deals I found later one ($9 gun ship, $19 arena playset, $20 Dagobah X-Wing).

I don't even want to try and guess what I've spent on my collection in my lifetime. I'm 32 and have stuff from when it first came out in the 70's.

I have made a promise to myself to cut back on my Star Wars spending. No more ships (I really only have 10 or so) and I'm only going to buy 2 figures a month. What really made my decision for me was the release of older figs on new cards (I'm a MOMC collector) and that new Jedi 4 pack at TRU. I can't believe that Hasbro is taking 4 peg warmers and trying to release them again just for the detention device. Oh well, I'm running out of room anyway...

[DSS]Pedr0
12-11-2003, 11:46 PM
Just over $400 on MAul LE MR saber. :crazed:

bobafrett
12-11-2003, 11:47 PM
Well, I'd have to say the top three from most expensive on down

1) Stormtrooper costume (includes items bought seperatly, boots, kenner blaster, body stocking, neck seal, electronics for the helmet, and supplies to put it together, and the kit) over $1,000 so far

2) My Code 3 Millinium Falcon: $300

3) The ceramic Darth Vader desending the stairs: $200

sith_killer_99
12-12-2003, 05:19 AM
I can't believe that Hasbro is taking 4 peg warmers and trying to release them again just for the detention device.

You can't? They're just taking a page out of Kenner's old book, only this time you get a new detention device. Kenner re-carded all their old figures for each of the new movies back during the OT. No new sculpt of Darth Vader for Empire or Jedi, just the same old figure re-carded...often times literally.

As long as they do it sparingly, I don't mind too much. As for the 4 packs, well most of them have been cheap garbage anyway, so I don't even bother with 'em.

I am mostly a MOMC collector. I much prefer to collect only carded figures, though I do have all of the Cinema Scenes and a few odds and ends, to include a few ships, B-Wing is my favorite.

As for my most expensive figure, I can't recall, but I don't believe I've ever paid more than $30.00 for any given figure.

My most valuable figure is probably my US carded Freeze Frame Sandtrooper.

I have been collecting since 99 and have spent well over $4,000.00 on basic figures. I have over 400 carded figures and more than 200 loose figures.

I have no idea what I will spend from here on out. Hasbro has seriously stepped up production in the last year and a half and I find myself spending more money on $10.00+ items like the new Ultra sets and Clone Wars Army builders. The Clone Wars line alone has claimed more than $300.00 this year.

plo koon 200
12-12-2003, 09:58 AM
I have spent a $100 on the Imperial Shuttle. The pricest item in my collection is my Toy Fair Vader which I got for $17.50

Jayspawn
12-12-2003, 10:14 AM
Fpr me it was probably the Darth Maul Lightsaber Replica for $160. Others include...

Jabba the Hutt Maquette $100

Vintage Amanaman loose & complete C10 $90

Exhaust Port
12-12-2003, 10:19 AM
Of my toy collection, the most expensive piece was $70 for the 12" 3-pack that included Leia in disguise that I got on the secondary market. Which is by no means the most expensive piece I've collected. :D

stillakid
12-12-2003, 10:44 AM
Of my toy collection, the most expensive piece was $70 for the 12" 3-pack that included Leia in disguise that I got on the secondary market. Which is by no means the most expensive piece I've collected. :D

So what is?

Exhaust Port
12-12-2003, 11:48 AM
A 1956 GM bus used in the 1967 movie "The Graduate." I didn't purchase it because it was used in a movie but it is an interesting footnote in the history of the vehicle. It's got to be one of the heaviest movie memorabilia pieces out there. :)

plo koon 200
12-12-2003, 12:05 PM
You say you got that thing for free. Dang! That must be worth something. Does it still work?

bobafrett
12-12-2003, 12:42 PM
And can it be used to deliver pizza's?

stillakid
12-12-2003, 02:36 PM
A 1956 GM bus used in the 1967 movie "The Graduate." I didn't purchase it because it was used in a movie but it is an interesting footnote in the history of the vehicle. It's got to be one of the heaviest movie memorabilia pieces out there. :)

You bought a bus? How big do the action figures have to be to make a diorama? :)

sith_killer_99
12-12-2003, 02:56 PM
They're 1:1 scale.

Sometimes he invites Mark, Carrie, Harrison and Billy Dee over and they pretend it's the Falcon.

LOL, sorry, I couldn't resist.

Exhaust Port
12-12-2003, 08:35 PM
You say you got that thing for free. Dang! That must be worth something. Does it still work?
I wish I got it for free but I still think I got it for a darn good price. Yes it does work and considering its 47 years old it's in great shape. As for how much it's worth, well, as everyone says, it's only worth what someone will pay for it which in my case really isn't that much. ;)

Kidhuman
12-12-2003, 09:48 PM
They're 1:1 scale.

Sometimes he invites Mark, Carrie, Harrison and Billy Dee over and they pretend it's the Falcon.

LOL, sorry, I couldn't resist.

The same thing ran through my mind. ya beat me to it.

I havent bought anything to expensive. I guess the most expensive SW collection piece is my POTF2 AT-AT.(Paid like 50 bucks on clearance.) I want to get more stuff at the higher end rate, but I feel I would only want to spend it on vintage items and such. But thats me. :ermm:

Turbowars
12-13-2003, 07:33 PM
$300 for a US Weequay FF. I justified it by selling my doubles of FF Sandtrooper, FF Fett, FF Snowtrooper, FF Garindan and FF Zuckuss (I'm still POed at myself for that one). Other than that I put together a LPC collection that goes around 500+ mint and a Green THX set that goes for 400+

stillakid
12-13-2003, 10:56 PM
Other than that I put together a LPC collection that goes around 500+ mint and a Green THX set that goes for 400+

What is an "LPC" and a "Green THX set." I'm not familiar with them. :confused:

Turbowars
12-14-2003, 12:11 AM
What is an "LPC" and a "Green THX set." I'm not familiar with them. :confused:LPC's are Long Picture Cards from Europe. They were Europes version of our Freeze frame cards minus the freeze frame. They had a long photo. There are 10 in the set. Tarkin, Han, 2 Lukes, Rebel trooper, Snowtrooper, Ewoks, Weequey, Royal Guard and Ackbar. The Green THX cards are Japanese green carded Vader, Ben and Han with THX inserts. They are very rare, only 4 were produced with the inserts.

jjreason
12-14-2003, 05:58 PM
Well, the most I spent was just over 200 (Canadian - that's about 14.50 US hehehehe.....) on a shuttle and shipping. To see it go on sale nearly killed me, I hemmed and hawed over buying the damned thing for a looooooooooong time and finally cracked. Oh well, Im very happy with the ship.

I don't yet have a Toy Fair Vader, so I imagine that will wind up costing me around 100 bucks US (I'd be willing to accept some package creases to lower the cost). I've been really lucky with some of the other tricky modern stuff, I got a Sacul at cost from a close friend who went to C2, and he sent me a Silver Boba Fett for really cheap as well.

I don't collect vintage (other than what I can scoop for super low prices in hopes of trading or re-selling), but do have an incomplete vintage Falcon and the box to go with it. A nice reminder of my childhood, but it ain't gonna pay my kids' tuition I don't think.

I think it would be safer for me if we didn't get into talking about how much we've spent on other collectibles, I think my wife would kill me if we had to dredge up some of my comic book purchases........ :o :eek: :D

bigbarada
12-22-2003, 12:39 PM
I spent about $325 on a vintage shuttle back in 2001, which was probably the most money I have spent on a single item. Second place would go to the carded vintage Amanaman I bought a few months ago for about $150.

Over the years, I estimate that I have spent well over $10,000 on Star Wars toys.

My future prediction? Well, let's see..... the upcoming TIE Pilot and rumored correctly scaled TIE Fighter...plus the Imperial Dignitaries...... rumors of Hermi Odle and Yarna....... don't forget Umpass Stay.........oh, about 50 bucks. :)

JON9000
12-24-2003, 01:35 AM
I spent $40 on monkey face Leia on orange card when she was *impossible* to find. :stupid:

Never paid over retail for a vehicle.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
01-01-2004, 12:44 AM
I'm pretty frugal when it comes to purchasing Star Wars items. I don't go on shopping extravaganzas or E-Bay binges, because I can't afford to. I pay retail for my items, with the rare exception of an E-bay bid (which'll happen once or twice a year). When I get older, and the money starts rolling (hopefully :nerv: ) maybe then I'll fill the voids in my collection and pay and arm and a leg.

The most I ever paid for a figure was $15 for a Sidious Holograph (thanks Sinister Lord) that included a POTF2 Sandtrooper.

The most ever for 1 item is a tie between the B-Wing and the Saga X-Wing. $39.99 for each plus tax.

I once spent over $100 for a case of Action Fleet vehicles, however that netted me 12 ships, which averagea to 8 dollars or so per ship.

Banthaholic
01-02-2004, 01:02 AM
I got TF Vder, FAO Imp Shuttle. Funny enough I think they were both around the same price aprox $130 if I recall correctly.

InsaneJediGirl
01-07-2004, 08:47 PM
The most I've ever spent was about $50-60.Unless its something really good,that I cant live without,I try not to spend all too much.The most I've ever spent on an action figure as $10,I forget which one there are a few.

stillakid
01-07-2004, 09:40 PM
In the "really good" department, I spent $800 on my Don Post Deluxe Darth Vader Mask. I also paid $800 for the Deluxe Biker Scout Mask. So those two are in a tie for my most expensive item. Everything else is pretty standard. I think I paid about $70 once for a vintage POTF figure, but I generally try to avoid that sort of thing.

jonthejedi
01-11-2004, 05:42 AM
$500 for the lifesize Yoda from several years back...he still watches over my collection. I really wanted that lifesize Han in carbonite, but the cost...and where would I put it?

steeltormentor69
02-02-2004, 11:25 AM
I spent something near $50 for the brown vest Jedi Luke back when those first came out. Also I spent $100 on an original carded X-wing Luke on Star Wars card from back in the day. My wife spent a couple hundred bucks or so on the Boba Fett Maquette for me for Christmas when we first starting dating. (that's when she liked me and didn't mind my star wars addictions) This was probably 6 years ago, things are very different now. :frus:

Dark Marble
02-02-2004, 05:43 PM
Silliest thing I spent a lot on was a Saga Chewy which set me back $20 because I just wanted it so bad and at the time it was one to a case. The most I have ever spent is up between the new and vintage AT-AT and Shuttle which just goes to show how much times don't change.

I bought POTF2 AT-AT for around $105.00 and the vintage for about $115.00 with shipping and everything. I bought the Saga shuttle for $109.00 from EE over the summer and a vintage one at a local comic shop for about $200 or $250. :eek:

bobafrett
02-04-2004, 01:11 AM
My wife spent a couple hundred bucks or so on the Boba Fett Maquette for me for Christmas when we first starting dating. (that's when she liked me and didn't mind my star wars addictions) This was probably 6 years ago, things are very different now. :frus:

You see, this is why I stay single, I don't have to worry about a wife getting upset because I bought myself a $100 Star Wars collectible, instead of a necklace or flowers. :D That's not to say that there aren't women out there who enjoy SW collecting, but they are very far and to few I think.

I'm still paying on my Code 3 Falcon, and debating on getting the X-Wing once I'm done paying for the Falcon.

JediTricks
02-04-2004, 10:21 PM
SW Chronicles 2nd US printing, $130.

Turbowars
02-04-2004, 10:34 PM
SW Chronicles 2nd US printing, $130.JT, it there any difference between the 2? I was just looking at it yesterday at BN and fell in love with it. Bit pricy, but when I show my wife something I like, there's a huge chance of getting it from her.;)

JediTricks
02-04-2004, 10:54 PM
Printing 2 was a larger run and supposedly has weaker glue holding the velcro tabs on the book's cover/box, but other than that, I believe they are identical. SW Chronicles is a great SW book and a fantastic coffee table book, even non-fans love looking through it at all the details. It's not all-encompassing and it's pre-Ep 1, but it is lavish and very nicely put together. I believe there are 2 more US printings, simply getting it back out into the public, but they *might* have more stuff in 'em, I don't know at all though. And of course, there's the original Japanese printing, but that's all in Japanese. ;)

Turbowars
02-04-2004, 11:01 PM
Printing 2 was a larger run and supposedly has weaker glue holding the velcro tabs on the book's cover/box, but other than that, I believe they are identical. SW Chronicles is a great SW book and a fantastic coffee table book, even non-fans love looking through it at all the details. It's not all-encompassing and it's pre-Ep 1, but it is lavish and very nicely put together. I believe there are 2 more US printings, simply getting it back out into the public, but they *might* have more stuff in 'em, I don't know at all though. And of course, there's the original Japanese printing, but that's all in Japanese. ;)Are all the covers the same? I was looking at one that had like a tie fighter wing window on it and was gold, silver and black.

Here's a pic of it. It's listed at $105 new and 89 used.

bobafrett
02-04-2004, 11:13 PM
Are all the covers the same? I was looking at one that had like a tie fighter wing window on it and was gold, silver and black.

Here's a pic of it. It's listed at $105 new and 89 used.

I bought one (SW Chronicles) on eBay for $80, but when it arrived after 2 months of telling the seller that I never got the book, it arrived with a large dent at the top, and a broken clasp. The pages were not affected, and I remember wanting one when I saw this great book at the WTTW store. Couldn't afford the $150 price tag though.

Turbowars
02-04-2004, 11:18 PM
I bought one (SW Chronicles) on eBay for $80, but when it arrived after 2 months of telling the seller that I never got the book, it arrived with a large dent at the top, and a broken clasp. The pages were not affected, and I remember wanting one when I saw this great book at the WTTW store. Couldn't afford the $150 price tag though. I remember you posting that. I guess at least you got it. E-bay has it's good and bad sellers.

bobafrett
02-04-2004, 11:25 PM
I remember you posting that. I guess at least you got it. E-bay has it's good and bad sellers.

Yes, I probably posted on it in one of the threads about eBay. This person then promised they would refund my money and let me keep the book, then after weeks of hearing nothing, I wrote back asking where the refund was, and this individual asked "Where's the book?" I replied with quotes from the e-mails stating where they said I could keep the book. So I got a nasty, "Whatever" and was asked to seend them a SASE, which I did, but still heard nothing back. I mean, this wasn't a $1.00 PEZ dispenser for crying out loud, this was one awesome book that I would like to pass down to my son, in good shape.

Turbowars
02-04-2004, 11:28 PM
What's a SASE?

bobafrett
02-04-2004, 11:33 PM
What's a SASE?

Self Addressed Stamped Envelope

I had to enclose one when I requested a copy of the winners list from the Hasbro toy contest.

JediTricks
02-05-2004, 09:44 PM
That's the only cover I've ever seen. Mine has the velcro holding the lid closed, only the glue on the top half gave out. Also, after taking the book out over and over, the book's cover has 2 layers on it and the upper layer bent slightly. If I had been more careful, this probably wouldn't have happened though, and the book inside is still perfect.

Turbowars
02-05-2004, 09:50 PM
That's the only cover I've ever seen. Mine has the velcro holding the lid closed, only the glue on the top half gave out. Also, after taking the book out over and over, the book's cover has 2 layers on it and the upper layer bent slightly. If I had been more careful, this probably wouldn't have happened though, and the book inside is still perfect.Well, like I said my wife had it waiting for me when I got home. It's the one with the metal snap.

JediTricks
02-05-2004, 10:23 PM
Well, like I said my wife had it waiting for me when I got home. It's the one with the metal snap.
You never said your wife actually got it for you, you said she might get it. I had to double-check because I thought I was going nuts and missed it. :crazed: ;) Anyway, congratulations, that's awesome. Wish mine had a metal snap... aw, who am I kidding, I would have messed that up too. :D

Turbowars
02-05-2004, 10:51 PM
You never said your wife actually got it for you, you said she might get it. I had to double-check because I thought I was going nuts and missed it. :crazed: ;) Anyway, congratulations, that's awesome. Wish mine had a metal snap... aw, who am I kidding, I would have messed that up too. :DTechnicalities, Technicalities, LOL. One thing about the metal snap is that it leaves a small impression in the book. I would have liked it perfect, but hell it was a gift.

bobafrett
02-05-2004, 11:19 PM
Technicalities, Technicalities, LOL. One thing about the metal snap is that it leaves a small impression in the book. I would have liked it perfect, but hell it was a gift.

My book has what looks like a metal clasp, but it looks like part of it broke, or is missing. I'm not sure if one half is stuck to the other half, but no longer on the flap, or if it is just what remains of the other half of the metal clasp. I know it wasn't velcro.
:cry:

JediTricks
02-08-2004, 10:16 PM
Hmm, maybe I'm not regretting the velcro after all. ;) Still, great book, even at the price I still recommend it to SW fans.

slick169
02-09-2004, 08:36 PM
Probably the most I spent on one item was today when I stopped at Sharper Image. They only had the display model of Luke's FX lightsaber so they agreed to 10% off.
Cost with tax $127.00. I probably could have done better at ebay but these things are fragile and I felt better picking it up myself. Since the release of EP1 I'm out about $14,000.

Darth Kirk
02-10-2004, 03:21 PM
The most I have spent are the life size statues of Darth Maul and Anakin.. But then I made a life size statue of Chewie and a Royal Guard.. And all them lightsabers and sheesh, I spend too much money.. Oh and the Star Wars classic arcade game I am saving up for.. I was gonna buy a pinball of SW but I ended up getting the X-Files one.. I just realized SW has given me a new disease, collectionifus-broketis.. Does anyone else have this disease?? If so, we should contact the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta b4 this spreads.. :dead:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-04-2006, 12:34 PM
I recently bought an Endor AT-AT for $89.99 plus tax. Highest single priced item for Star Wars I have ever paid.

It was also the first vehicle I ever opened. I knew I couldn't let that beauty sit in the box. It has also inspired me to open other characters that I have kept in the package. :thumbsup:

Slicker
09-04-2006, 01:13 PM
The most expensive for me is the POTF2 AT-AT.

I do, however, have the SS Jabba on order so I'll report back in 2007 to tell you if things have changed...

dr_evazan22
09-04-2006, 06:31 PM
So far my ost expensive SW item ordered is the MR MF. I'm really hoping its not released until Jan, otherwise I might not have the money for it (possibly not even then). And there are so many othr practical things I could spend that money on.

Jayspawn
09-04-2006, 08:47 PM
So far the most I've spent is $500 for the Obi-Wan Kenobi Elite Edition Lightsaber Replica. Worth every penny.

stillakid
09-04-2006, 09:35 PM
So far the most I've spent is $500 for the Obi-Wan Kenobi Elite Edition Lightsaber Replica. Worth every penny.

Why didn't you use a credit card?

bigbarada
09-05-2006, 01:11 AM
The most expensive single item I have bought recently was probably the vintage A-Wing Fighter that I picked up for $150.

Of course, that was back in 2005. This year, I haven't really bought much that I didn't find on the shelves, except for a whole mess of Kubricks and the Medicom VCD Stormtrooper and TIE Pilot. I spent about $160 total on the Kubricks and $60 each on the VCD figures.

mtriv73
09-05-2006, 12:19 PM
Probably one on the force FX lightsabers or the interactive R2. I've gotten all these on sale (I think I paid $75 for the R2 and I've never paid more than $90 for the sabers.) If I ever win the lottery I'm buying some of the prop replicas though (not much chance of that happening though since I never actually buy a ticket.)

bobafrett
09-05-2006, 10:48 PM
Pretty much a tie here for me. I think I spent about $200 on my GG Vader Sculpture, and slightly less on the Darth Maul. I'm trying to remember how much I paid for the other Vader sculpture I have. I think it was seen in the background of one of the Lucas interviews on one of the VHS releases of the SE OTtrilogys. I also bought the Code 3 Falcon.

Rebo's_Guitarist
09-06-2006, 07:49 AM
The most I have paid so far I think was only $20 for my vintage Anakin. Im pretty dang lucky when it comes to finding the htf stuff for basically nothing. I found an almost complete vintage AT-AT at a garage sale for a quarter, my sister gave me a vintage Vader case with some figures in it for my birthday which included my blue Snags........

My most valuable would probably be that photo negative a got a few months ago that was used on the vintage SW Coke cup. Cost me nothing, my mom, who works in a hardware store, actually traded some lawnmower parts for it. Have no idea what its worth, and they wont print my letter under Scouting in Insider.....:upset:

Blue2th
09-06-2006, 08:15 AM
The most I ever spent was for a Sideshow Grievous. $455 I think it was:squareeye

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
09-09-2006, 11:07 PM
And there are so many othr practical things I could spend that money on.

Ari, I and I am sure many of us get teased about our collections, but when I see them spend their hard earned dollars on cigarettes, booze, (or it could be worse if they had drug or other really harmful addictions) and whatever vice that gives them their cheap thrill, I look at Star Wars as a safe, mild obsession to have.

darkjedi_geneo
09-16-2006, 12:39 AM
Most i've spent on any 1 collectible to date is my X-rated C-3PO card :D $35.00 + s/h and insurance so it was like $40.00

Tritex
09-16-2006, 04:04 PM
Well I spent a few thousand on my Star Wars Miniatures collection.....but then I trade in these also so does this count? If not then it would have to be An Aura Sing from Clone Strike miniatures that cost me 40 or $80!!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-09-2011, 12:25 PM
The most expensive for me is the POTF2 AT-AT.

I do, however, have the SS Jabba on order so I'll report back in 2007 to tell you if things have changed...

I have been patiently waiting your update, going on 4 years now, but I thought it rude to ask . . . . until now.