PDA

View Full Version : Turkey shoot 2003!

sith_killer_99
12-12-2003, 03:13 PM
Well, 2003 has come and gone, at least as far a Hasbro product goes, many are now reporting that they have begun to find the first, and second waves from 2004.

With that in mind I would like to take this opportunity to review a few of the "Turkey's" of 2003. These are the figures that are sooo bad they should never have left the drawing board. Now keep in mind that there aren't nearly as many as there were last year. Let's face it Hasbro has been raising the standards, or at least cranking out cooler stuff for the Clone Wars line.

So here we go with SK99's turkey picks for 2003!

Obi-Wan (Acklay Battle): Starting at the begining. 2003 got a fresh start with new packaging, but it looked like we would be treated to the same low quality poorly done gimmick layden garbage that plaqued the SAGA line from the begining. Obi-Wan was poorly constructed with another horribly detracting action feature. I passed on this guy and haven't looked back since, well maybe once, when I realized that this monstrosity was becoming a peg warmer. :rolleyes:

Mace Windu (Arena Confrontation): Also known as big-ugly-plastic-key-stickin-outta-my-back Mace. Enough said. I passed!

R2-D2 (Droid Factory): Generally considered the biggest waste of the 2003 line. Myself, I thought it looked ok in the package...for what it was...a flying R2-D2. But hey, if we really have a problem with that, we need to take it up with George, he's the one that put it in the movie. I bought one for my carded collection.

Luke Skywalker (Throne Room Duel): Yet another potentially great figure ruined by a stupid gimmick. Then there was the fiasco of the lefty/righty glove. :rolleyes: I bought 2 (one left and one right) to keep MOMC. But I refuse to own one of these loose. Actually, I had one loose and traded it.

The Emperor: As weak and frail as Ian looked in Jedi, this thing looks almost annorexic (sp?)...except for the hood. lol What was the deal with that hood, it's HUGE!!! And his tiny...bald...wrinkly head looked nothing like The Emperor. He lookes more like my poor alcoholic uncle Jimbo. Horrible...I passed.

Honorable mention goes out to the unnecessary re-issues Han, Leia, Luke, C-3PO and Jango. Yes, I bought 'em all. :nerv:

amidalak
12-12-2003, 03:51 PM
1. throne room luke may be the worst figure ever made in the star wars line, maybe in any line. stuck in a scene specific pose and burdened with a crappy action feature, whoever at hasbro thought this toy should see the light of day needs to be shot, hanged, and fined, and then maybe beaten around the head and neck area.

2. acklay battle obiwan is the only other figure that comes as close to horrible as the throne room luke. we still have not seen a really good ep. 2 obi wan, outlander club included, although it comes close. see my ideas for the designer of throne room luke for what should be done to the designer of acklay battle obi wan.

3. throne room emperor is great except fo the giant oversized hood. how does hasbro let something like that out the door?

those are my big nasty 3, besides those and all the distribution troubles, '03 was a pretty good year for the line, but will be quickly forgotten if '04 is in reality as good as it looks in the pics we have seen thus far. i wasn't disappointed with the reissues we got, good choices in my book, keeping main characters on the pegs for the kiddies and casual collectors while not hindering the release of new figs.

Banthaholic
12-12-2003, 05:24 PM
The one thing I have to say for the re-issues is actually surprising. In my area they didn't warm any pegs, they actually sold faster than regular 03 figures.
This has to do with the fact they only pacted 1 per case, which was a good choice, although Darth Vader MOTD figure was nearly impossible to track down.

The real turkey's our at Hasbro.
There's no way there error department could be as bad as it is, they have to be doing so on purpose. Frankly, it's a beautiful marketing thing, it makes some of us uy more than we would without the errors. I just don't believe product control could be this bad!
Let's go all the variations of 03
1. Hoth 4 pack, unbroked tusk Taun Taun (son't they even watch the movies!)
2. Throne Room Luke, right vs left. Ummm guys not too hard to figure out
3. Han solo repack numbering problem/solution.
4. Darth Maul repack numbering problem/solution
5. Change to Boba Fett Pit of carcoon. Hmmm Jim I think we should have added a bit more blue in the paint, or is it green hmmmm
6. Elan w/ or w/o ears EP2 was released May '02 and by 10/03 you're still have problems w/ watchin it (couch, red battle droid)
7. CLone Trooper Two stances, why? Other than to get carded collectors to buy more. The one standing pose looks stupid, the kneeli shows the articulation a bit better.
8. ARC Trooper 2 colors, although shipped in same assortment, right idea wrong assorment!
9 Jango repack, on some the yellow arrow on the back is park of the card, others it's a sticker.
And this is all I could think of off hand, but clearly shows some of the fools working for the company, and thus my nominations for the turkey is Hasbro's Quality Control

plo koon 200
12-12-2003, 08:49 PM
I must go with Banthaholic on Quality Control. And with everyone else who has a problem with buttons. There are so many figures with buttons that had so much potential like Bespin and Thron Room Lukes. Why oh why, have the buttons?

Kidhuman
12-12-2003, 09:03 PM
I havent seen much from 2003. I have the Mace and he is probably the worst of the bunch that I have gotten. I have not seen R2 and from what I hear I dont want to.

kool-aid killer
12-12-2003, 09:25 PM
My vote goes to the Emperor. Why is he showing so much forehead? The oversized hood should have been covering that mellon. R2 did look good in package but ive heard so much about how hes crap on a card that i passed and dont regret it.