PDA

View Full Version : Favorite traditional (or non) Christmas songs

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-13-2003, 10:50 AM
Tis the season of Christmas music and if you live somewhere on the East, chances are a few radio stations in your area have decided to blare nonstop, 24/7 Christmas music since Thanksgiving week. This is the first time this has happened in my area. Usually, they'll play a mix of whatever format the station specializes in with a few Christmas songs, until December 24th, when they go to all Christmas music. This year four stations that I regulary listen to (two in Buffalo, two in Toronto) have gone all Christmas, all month long for the first time.

Anyway, those who love Christmas music have their traditional favorites (mine are "O Holy Night, Ave Maria, The First Noel, and Do You Hear What I Hear?") among the hundreds of traditional Christmas songs.

The versions of these songs and others, that I must absolutely blast whenever I hear on the radio are:

"O Holy Night" by Perry Como or Johnny Mathis
"Sleigh Ride" by The Boston Pops or The Ronettes
"Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" by Bruce Springsteen
"Adeste Fideles" by Luciano Pavrotti

Some of my favorite nontraditional songs are:

"Someday at Christmas" by Stevie Wonder
"Last Christmas" by Wham!
"Happy Christmas" by John Lennon
"It's a Marshmellow World" by The Ronettes
"The Little St. Nick" by The Beach Boys
"Simply Having a Wonderful Christmastime" by Paul McCartney & Wings

What are your favorites?

scruffziller
12-13-2003, 01:14 PM
Definately any Christmas stuff by John Williams, Andy Williams, Nat King Cole, Burl Ives, Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, etc.

Plus BOYZ II MEN's CHRISTMAS INTERPRETATIONS was an absolute masterpiece.
I really love their rendition of Silent Night on it.:cool:

Plus the Pet Shop Boys' IT DOESN'T OFTEN SNOW AT CHRISTMAS is great.
Exclusive Fan Club disc.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-13-2003, 03:49 PM
I must say that my favorite christmas album of all time is "A Johnny Mathis Christmas"; at least, I'm about 99% sure that's the title. The cover is a young Johnny with a pair of skis and poles. It's hands down my fave x-mas album, ever, of all time.

I also LOVE "Let me Sleep (It's christmas time)" by Pearl Jam. One of the greatest Christmas songs, ever! :D

"O Holy Night" by Eric Cartman is good too. hehehehehe :p

jedihunter25
12-13-2003, 11:02 PM
1. Mr.Hankey The Christmas Poo (South Park)
2. Merry F**king Christmas (Mr. Garrison from South Park)
3. Mistress For Christmas (AC/DC)
4. Christmas Time In Hell (Satan & Hitler from South Park)

dr_evazan22
12-14-2003, 01:01 AM
I'm not too into traditional Christmas music, but I like most of your non-traditional songs LBC.

I'll add:
- Feed The World (Do They Know Its Christmastime), which spawned LiveAID
- Baby come home, U2

I'll stop there, 'cause I think I'm butchering the names of these songs!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-14-2003, 11:48 AM
I must say that my favorite christmas album of all time is "A Johnny Mathis Christmas"; at least, I'm about 99% sure that's the title. The cover is a young Johnny with a pair of skis and poles. It's hands down my fave x-mas album, ever, of all time.

Very funny JMG, that was the very first CD I ever bought, when I was 15 years old. It too is my favorite Christmas CD, with a Time Life Treasury a close 2nd. Mathis has released 2 more Christmas CDs since then, but the first remains my favorite.

I'm not too into traditional Christmas music, but I like most of your non-traditional songs LBC.

I'll add:
- Feed The World (Do They Know Its Christmastime), which spawned LiveAID

I forgot that song, a beautiful one that is. I remember the video too, with a bunch of mostly washed up British rockers (although I recall Bono, Wham! and Boy George) singing to raise money for Africa.

And Scruff, many Christmas songs by those folks are classics, I especially like Bing and Andy Williams.

I also forgot a few modern gems like "Step Into Christmas" with Elton John & "The Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth" by David Bowie and Bing Crosby.

bobafrett
12-14-2003, 12:22 PM
I own a CD with musical Christmas songs, no singing, but there are nature sounds with it, Loons, wolves, etc. It reminds me of a peaceful Christmas with my family in the Northwoods of Wisconsin.

jjreason
12-14-2003, 07:14 PM
Suprisingly enough, the Christmas album I turn to year after year is by Mel Torme. Very soothing sounds to help you relax after a stressful trip to the mall, or a frustrating light hanging session. I also like both albums by Neil Diamond (ironic, as he's very Jewish) and Stompin' Tom Connors (whom you may not have heard OF let alone heard if you're not from Canada) Chrstmas album.

I really love the aforementioned U2 track, "Do they know its Christmas?", and "Christmastime in Hollis" by Run DMC. Now that I have kids, I seem to be enjoying the whole Christmas thing again.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-14-2003, 07:52 PM
I own a CD with musical Christmas songs, no singing, but there are nature sounds with it, Loons, wolves, etc. It reminds me of a peaceful Christmas with my family in the Northwoods of Wisconsin.

that does sound very nice, Boba. what tis the name that disc; i'd be interested in checking it out. If you can post the title, please do!! :D

Ah, the northwoods of wisconsin...i can almost smell the cheese and beer. :crazed:

bobafrett
12-14-2003, 10:01 PM
that does sound very nice, Boba. what tis the name that disc; i'd be interested in checking it out. If you can post the title, please do!! :D

Ah, the northwoods of wisconsin...i can almost smell the cheese and beer. :crazed:

It's titled "A Natural Christmas" . On the back it reads as follows; A Natural Christmas is a beautiful blend of cheerful carols and natural sounds. Strings, keyboards, and guitar merge with the wilderness music of wolves, loons, geese, ahorse drawn sleigh, and much more. Somehow-perhaps magically-the holiday spirit comes shining through.

It's produced by a company called NORTHSOUND, and they have an address in Minocqua, Wisconsin. I'll be up North for the Christmas holiday, or so the plan is at the moment.

dr_evazan22
12-14-2003, 11:45 PM
Not sure if this is the same song or not LBC, but John Lennon's "So This Is Christmas (War Is Over)". On Kazaa I found a U2 cover of the song from what looks like the Rattle And Hum era. Not too bad!

scruffziller
12-15-2003, 04:30 AM
1. Mr.Hankey The Christmas Poo (South Park)
2. Merry F**king Christmas (Mr. Garrison from South Park)
3. Mistress For Christmas (AC/DC)
4. Christmas Time In Hell (Satan & Hitler from South Park)
OH YES BUT OF COURSE!!!!!!!!:D
Can't forget to put that in the DVD player this year!!!!
Don't forget Eric Cartman's rendition of O HOLY NIGHT.
"Jesus was born, therefore I get presents......."lol

arctangent
12-15-2003, 07:16 AM
i too love 'let me sleep' by pearl jam - it really reminds me of when i was young at christmas but i also like 'the fairytale of new york' by the pogues and kirsty mccoll and 'i believe in father christmas' by greg lake. two classic modern christmas songs.

but if you hear a song called 'don't let the bells end (its christmas time)' by the darkness do yourselves a favour and run!

bobafett07728
12-15-2003, 12:18 PM
Christmas in Hollis
By Run-DMC

An absolute classic! I can hear this song at anytime of the year, and it brings a smile to my face. The perfect balance of Holiday Cheer, and Hip-Hop! The video is also timeless! If I remember correctly, the "Naughty/Nice" computer was part Atari joystick, part Simon game!!! That is pure GENIOUS!!!

". . . looked at the dog, OH MY GOD. . . an ill reindeer!"

". . . rice and stuffing; macaroni and cheese. . . and Santa puts gifts under Christmas trees!"

Most other songs mentioned in this thread are necessary Christmas tunes. . . I just had to express my love for this one!!!!!!!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!!!!

plasticfetish
12-15-2003, 06:35 PM
"Santa Claus Go Straight to the Ghetto" by Mr. James Brown.

Darth Jax
12-15-2003, 11:57 PM
i wanna hippopotamus for christmas, the chipmunk song and the twelve days of christmas by the muppets (and john denver) are my fave nonsensical songs.

blue christmas - elvis
please come home for christmas - eagles
christmas eve/sarajevo - TSO
all i want for christmas is you - mariah carey (can't believe i actually said that)
angels we have heard on high - the nylons
are among my faves of holiday music.

Exhaust Port
12-16-2003, 12:29 AM

arctangent
12-16-2003, 04:55 AM

the latest bunch of pop idols in the uk have chose to record a version of that song to try and get a christmas number one and they have absolutely murdered it. mr lennon will be spinning in his grave!

Exhaust Port
12-16-2003, 11:20 AM
Hopefully it stays on that side of the pond then. :)

Mandalorian Candidat
12-16-2003, 03:01 PM
There's a CD called "A Very Special Christmas" and it has several songs I really like, such as "Winter Wonderland" by the Eurythmics, "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" by U2 (which, BTW is a remake), and "Gabriel's Message" by Sting. Barenaked Ladies does a great duet with Sarah McLaughlin of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen."

I also love Burl Ives' "Holly, Jolly Christmas" and all those other songs from the "Rudolph" claymation TV show. I'd also throw in "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree." I don't remember who sings it, but it sounds a lot like young Wayne Newton.

El Chuxter
12-16-2003, 03:27 PM
Like Eternal Padawan said somewhere else, anything by Burl Ives. I can't think of a single non-Christmas song he did, but everyone knows his Christmas stuff.

The entire "White Christmas" CD by Elvis, which collects all the Christmas recordings he ever released on one disc. Best of all are Blue Christmas, Santa Claus Is Back in Town, and his takes on White Christmas, O Little Town of Bethlehem, and Silver Bells.

Any Christmas recording by U2 (they covered Happy X-Mas? really? I gotta find that!) or Bruce Springsteen. Both of them should release Christmas albums.

The classic Motown albums by Stevie Wonder, the Temptations, and the Jackson 5.

All of Merry Axemas: A Guitar Superstar Christmas and most of Merry Axemas 2. (Joe Perry tearing through Blue Christmas is super-classic.)

The soundtracks to Home Alone, Home Alone 2, A Charlie Brown Christmas, and The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Most of the stuff from the A Very Special Christmas CDs. (Though there's always some bad fluff on there.)

Run Run Rudolph by Chuck Berry, Santa Claus by Sonny Boy Williamson II, and BB King's A Christmas Celebration of hope. There's not a whole lot of Christmas blues out there. :(

Songs by Tony Bennett, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby, and other folks I think are great singers but don't often listen to.

Other stuff slipping my mind. :p

JON9000
12-19-2003, 12:07 PM
Holy Crud El Chuxter, I love Emmitt Otter. That is an awesome avatar. Every now and then, a conversation will come up about Christmas specials and what everyone's favorite is. Some one will invariably say, "Nobody knows mine, it was on HBO all the time when I was a kid..." Instant bonding all over.

"Pa would hock that toolchest!"

Oh, the topic. I love the Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack.

kool-aid killer
12-24-2003, 03:42 PM
El Chuxter brought up the Motown Christmas CDs which i enjoy around this time of year. Darth Jax, i agree with you on Mariah Carey's All I Want for Christmas is You. Arguably my favorite tune during this time of year. And trailing that song by just a little is the Ronettes' Sleigh Ride.

Turbowars
12-24-2003, 06:03 PM
Santa baby by Madona:kiss:

2-1B
12-25-2003, 12:59 AM

Come on over ! :crazed: A nice and festive cheese tray awaits you. :)

My very favorite Xmas tunes, needing to be heard repeatedly every year, in no particular order:

Spinal Tap, "Christmas with the Devil"
King Diamond, "Christmas"
King Diamond, "No Presents for Christmas"
AC/DC, "Mistress for Christmas"
John Mellencamp, "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus"
Bruce Springsteen, "Santa Claus is Coming to Town"
Bruce Springsteen, "Merry Christmas, Baby"

Did anybody see Bruce on Conan O'Brien LAST year doing Merry Christmas Baby? Conan sat in with the band, it was awesome! :)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-23-2004, 11:53 PM
Would have bumped this back earlier, but was indisposed for a while.

Anyway, Holiday music seems to start earlier and earlier each year, and this year many local radio stations have been blaring constant Christmas music since the beginning of the month, instead of mixing them into the normal playlist, like they usually do.

Quite a few songs I have grown fond of this year, in addition to the many I listed last year. Many of them aren't new, but a few I believe are. Some I don't know the singer or band's name, so I'll just list the song.

"Do They Know It's Christmas?" by Live Aid --> This song was redone but the new version doesn't impress me. :neutral:

"Driving Home For Christmas" singer unknown.--> He may be Canadian, because I hear it a lot on Canadian radio. A catchy song about holiday traveling.

"Grown-Up Christmas List" singers unknown. -->I have heard two versions of this beautiful song, one sounds like Natalie Cole, and the other Bon Jovi, but I stress sounds like, because either of them probably don't sing it.

"We Need A Little Christmas" from Mame, The New Christy Minstrels version.--> An older song, but one that is impossible to get out of my head.

Any Phil Spector Christmas produced song, sung by Darlene Love, The Ronettes or The Crystals. My favorite being "It's A Marshmellow World."

Any Charlie Brown Vince Guraldi song--> I am starting to appreciate his music as a fellow (novice) piano player.

Also heard a few kooky, novelty Christmas songs this year, among them "Police Stop My Car" to the tune of Feliz Navidad, "The 12 pains of Christmas" and "Didn't I Get This Last Year?" to the tune of Do You Hear What I Hear?

Turbowars
12-24-2004, 12:25 AM
Have any of you heard the song Christmas Rap by the Waitresses from the 80's? It was then redone by Save Ferris in 98. It's not a ghetto rap song, it's like a alternative like x-mas song. Anyways, it's been a favorite Holiday song through the years.

Kidhuman
12-24-2004, 12:28 AM
This year I have been into Frank SInatra and Dean Martin Christmas songs. Dean Martin was slick and Ole Blue Eyes is a forever sweetheart.

stillakid
12-24-2004, 11:37 AM
Have any of you heard the song Christmas Rap by the Waitresses from the 80's? It was then redone by Save Ferris in 98. It's not a ghetto rap song, it's like a alternative like x-mas song. Anyways, it's been a favorite Holiday song through the years.

It's "Christmas Wrapping" :D

"Bah, humbug!" No, that's too strong
'Cause it is my favorite holiday
But all this year's been a busy blur
Don't think I have the energy

To add to my already mad rush
Just 'cause it's 'tis the season.
The perfect gift for me would be
Completions and connections left from

Last year, ski shop,
Encounter, most interesting.
Had his number but never the time
Most of '81 passed along those lines.

So deck those halls, trim those trees
Raise up cups of Christmas cheer,
I just need to catch my breath,
Christmas by myself this year.

Calendar picture, frozen landscape,
Chilled this room for twenty-four days,
Evergreens, sparkling snow
Get this winter over with!

Flashback to springtime, saw him again,
Would've been good to go for lunch,
Couldn't agree when we were both free,
We tried, we said we'd keep in touch.

Didn't, of course, 'til summertime,
Out to the beach to his boat could I join him?
No, this time it was me,
Sunburn in the third degree.

Now the calendar's just one page
And, of course, I am excited
Tonight's the night, but I've set my mind
Not to do too much about it.

Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas!
But I think I'll miss this one this year.

Hardly dashing through the snow
Cause I bundled up too tight
Last minute have-to-do's
A few cards a few calls
'Cause it's r-s-v-p
No thanks, no party lights
It's Christmas Eve, gonna relax
Turned down all of my invites.

Last fall I had a night to myself,
Same guy called, halloween party,
Waited all night for him to show,
This time his car wouldn't go,

Forget it, it's cold, it's getting late,
Trudge on home to celebrate
In a quiet way, unwind
Doing Christmas right this time.

A&P has provided me
With the world's smallest turkey
Already in the oven, nice and hot
Oh damn! Guess what I forgot?

So on with the boots, back out in the snow
To the only all-night grocery,
When what to my wondering eyes should appear
In the line is that guy I've been chasing all year!

"I'm spending this one alone," he said.
"Need a break; this year's been crazy."
I said, "Me too, but why are you?
You mean you forgot cranberries too?"

Then suddenly we laughed and laughed
Caught on to what was happening
That Christmas magic's brought this tale
To a very happy ending! "

Couldn't miss this one this year!
Couldn't miss this one this year!

El Chuxter
12-24-2004, 12:00 PM
stilla beat me to the proper title. :)

I really dig the new Barenaked Ladies holiday album (it throws on a few Channakuh songs, so it's not really a "Christmas album"). Both they and Pete Yorn have done excellent covers of "Do They Know It's Christmas." It works better with only one voice (though you do lose Bono's chilling "tonight thank God it's them instead of you").

Kidhuman
12-24-2004, 01:50 PM
If ya want a Christmas Rap song look no further than Run DMC's CHristmas in Hollis. One of the all time classics.

Ji'dai
12-24-2004, 05:19 PM
I usually listen to Bing or the Beach Boys this time of year.

JON9000
12-28-2004, 08:09 PM
I heard "Snoopy's Christmas" on the radio this year by the Royal Guardsman. Pretty good stuff. He and the Red BAron celebrate Christmas.

OC47150
01-12-2005, 11:46 AM
Sorry for the late post on this one, but I had to chime in.

I prefer the traditional stuff, but some of the modern isn't too bad.

Frank Sinatra -- Holly Jolly Christmas

Phil Spectre Christmas album -- Entertainment Weekly rated this the best Christmas album of all time. It is good, especially if you like the girl groups from the '60s.

Any Elvis Christmas album.

Beach Boys

It's albums like these that will stand the test of time and people will still be listening to in 100 years.

There's one Christmas CD I have that is old radio broadcasts from Christmas 1945. It's scratchy and pops but interesting to listen to.

I wanted to get the Rat Pack Christmas album but didn't get around to it.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-11-2005, 06:05 PM
Two nontraditional songs that have grown on me this year--even though I've heard one of them sparingly.

They are the O'Jay's "I Can Hardly Wait For Christmas" and Natalie Cole's "Grown Up Christmas List." Both are kinda sappy, especially the latter, but are two songs that make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I haven't heard the O'Jays song that much this year, only once, but I like the harmony of that song.

Another song that I am starting to like is on Canadian stations all the time. It is called "Driving Home for Christmas." I don't know the name of the singer, probably a Canadian known only artist, but it is a song worth a listen to.

Sentinel18725
12-11-2005, 11:29 PM
Always remembering listening to Bing Crosby, so that is a natural. However, I do dig listening to one particular wacky song.....Weird Al Yankovich "It's Christmas at Ground Zero" Laugh everytime I listen to it.

Otherwise, I am much more of a traditional guy. I dig Carol of the Bells, Greensleeves, and other more subdued songs.

Pearl Jam's song is a good song also though.

CaptainSolo1138
12-12-2005, 08:05 AM
I'm sure you mean "holiday song", right KH?;) :beard:

It's hard for me to pick out 1 or 2 songs. I really like the classic instrumental version of "Sleigh Ride". I'm more of a favorite Christmas artist person, Johnny Mathis leading that pack, followed closely by Perry Como and Andy Williams. I'm also a big fan of Mannheim Steamroller's first Christmas album from 1984 (their others were only "meh").

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-12-2005, 09:28 AM
Pearl Jam's song is a good song also though.

YES! I love that song; i was jsut listening to it last night. I'm also hooked on Chris Martin (of Coldplay) and his piano driven "Have yourself a merry little Christmas." He performed it on Conan the other night after the band did "Talk" and Conan took the last verse. It was hysterical. Luckily, it was a b-side to a promo disc of theirs a few years back, so i have a lovely studio version, sans conan. :crazed:

OC47150
12-12-2005, 10:21 AM
Always remembering listening to Bing Crosby, so that is a natural. However, I do dig listening to one particular wacky song.....Weird Al Yankovich "It's Christmas at Ground Zero" Laugh everytime.

I have one comedic Christmas CD, and Christmas at Ground Zero is on it. The 12 Pains of Christmas is included, too.

The local WM has a couple of the Twisted Christmas CDs. I might have to buy them, too.

Darth Jax
12-12-2005, 09:01 PM
YES! I love that song; i was jsut listening to it last night. I'm also hooked on Chris Martin (of Coldplay) and his piano driven "Have yourself a merry little Christmas." He performed it on Conan the other night after the band did "Talk" and Conan took the last verse. It was hysterical. Luckily, it was a b-side to a promo disc of theirs a few years back, so i have a lovely studio version, sans conan. :crazed:

i picked that song up last year on one of target's exclusive christmas albums. they typically do 2-3 for the season for $5, featuring plenty of new songs mixed with todays artists performing traditional classics. not my favorite version of the song though. i'm more a fan of the muppets/john denver performing it.

InsaneJediGirl
12-13-2005, 12:29 PM
For more traditional songs,you cant go wrong with the Beach Boys :) Also a fan of some of the songs done in the Big Band era,although the names elude me right now.

Non-Traditional,my favorite is the Ren and Stimpy Yaksmas tape. I loved that,great take on the holidays. Another was on a cassette of kids songs,about what some monsters got for Christmas set to "Monster Mash". Classic stuff :D

JEDIpartner
12-13-2005, 04:21 PM
"O Holy Night"... hands down. Surprisingly enough... Celine Dion's version lays the rest to cake dust. I was shocked myself.

bobafrett
12-14-2005, 12:02 AM
They played a song from Dennis Leary's new Christmas album on the radio tonight called "Merry ****ing Christmas". I have to admit, I thought it was pretty funny. I also enjoy the Trans-Siberian Orchestra which has a site here: http://www.trans-siberian.com/intro.html

Jargo
02-09-2006, 09:28 PM
my favourite traditional song isn't a christmas carol though it's often mistaken for one: Unto us a boy is born. It's the only song I know of that openly talks about Herod having all the babies killed. so being a bit dour and grim I naturally like it.
this christmas gone we did all we could to get the christmas spirit. we had the lights the decorations the big roast bird dinner, big domestic scene almost ended in me being thrown out on my *** and a load of mixed christmas classics from bing crosby, perry como, Boney M, judy garland, trans siberian orchestra (new on me), most of what's already been mentioned in that vein. and I had a huge playlist I set to repeat.

my favourite non traditional song has to be A winters tale by David Essex. excrutiatingly twee and sacharin sweet, but it has atmosphere and it's a well crafted song. again fairly muted in tone though. worth at least one listen I reckon. though I think it played through about fourty times over christmas in my house.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
11-24-2006, 09:54 AM
this christmas gone we did all we could to get the christmas spirit. we had the lights the decorations the big roast bird dinner, big domestic scene almost ended in me being thrown out on my ***

We call that in America, Thanksgiving. lol

Just purchased Andy Williams "Happy Holidays" off ITunes and have finally turned on the all Christmas music stations in my areas. I am officially in the Holiday Mood. :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
11-24-2006, 10:38 AM
I can't believe no one mentioned the SW Christmas in the Stars album (I only have it on vinyl LP, but I think I saw it once on CD and passed on buying it :( ). Echoing what others have said, mostly by artist rather than song:

John Denver and Muppets (mainly "The 12 Days of Christmas" song)
Trans-Siberian Railroad
Mannheim Steamroller
Andy Williams
Johnny Mathis
Perry Como
"Christmas in Hollis"

Rogue II
11-24-2006, 12:05 PM
Has anyone picked up Twisted Sister's Twisted Christmas album yet?

dr_evazan22
11-24-2006, 01:01 PM
The best, for me, was last year at work. During a conversation a buddy says he hasn't heard this one Christmas song. After a few questions I figure out what song he means (his girlfreind is sick and he helps her out): "6am, day after Christmas, I throw some clothes on in the dark...."

He says "Yeah! Yeah! That's it!"

The song is Ben Folds Five: Brick

He didn't like it when I told him what it was about.

CaptainSolo1138
11-24-2006, 05:07 PM
Trans-Siberian Railroad
Mannheim Steamroller
Andy Williams
Johnny Mathis
Perry Como
"Christmas in Hollis"Man, BCJ, you freakin' NAILED it! Good stuff there!

The last couple years I've been listening to the Barenaked Ladies Christmas album. It's anything but traditional, but some of the songs on there are fantastic!

El Chuxter
11-24-2006, 11:37 PM
Has anyone picked up Twisted Sister's Twisted Christmas album yet?

The Associated Press reviewer actually said it was, surprisingly, one of the best rock Christmas albums ever. I'll have to admit, I'm intrigued.

2-1B
11-25-2006, 12:26 AM
Christmas Tauntauns from that fan awards show that GLu liked a few years back.

Rogue II
11-25-2006, 11:37 AM
The Associated Press reviewer actually said it was, surprisingly, one of the best rock Christmas albums ever. I'll have to admit, I'm intrigued.

I just saw a video for "O Come All Ye Faithful". It was pretty good...and they threw in a riff from "We're Not Gonna Take It" during the guitar solo. I might pick this album up.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
11-25-2006, 05:06 PM
The best, for me, was last year at work. During a conversation a buddy says he hasn't heard this one Christmas song. After a few questions I figure out what song he means (his girlfreind is sick and he helps her out): "6am, day after Christmas, I throw some clothes on in the dark...."

He says "Yeah! Yeah! That's it!"

The song is Ben Folds Five: Brick

He didn't like it when I told him what it was about.

What is the song about?

And I wouldn't be surprised about the Twisted Sister Christmas CD. Barbra Streisand, Neil Diamond and Kenny G, all Jews, put out excellent Christmas albums.

DarkArtist
11-28-2006, 09:41 AM
For my favorite Christmas song there is only one version :

The Christmas Song : Nat King Cole

As far as other songs I like:
Josh Groban "Believe"
Stevie Wonder "Someday at Christmas"
Amy Grant "Grown Up Christmas List"
U2 "Christmas, Baby Please Come Home"
Trans Siberian Orchestra "Christmas Eve Sarajevo 12/24 and Old City Bar"
Fricken A "Merry Frickin Christmas"

there are many others but can't think of them right now. have to check out my CD's to see what else is on them. Also I know they are not Christmas Songs but Adam Sandler's Chanunk Songs 1-3. Sorry if I mispelled the holiday.

DarkArtist
11-28-2006, 09:43 AM
And I wouldn't be surprised about the Twisted Sister Christmas CD

That CD is a riot. picked it up in Walmart on Black Friday, it is too funny, I really suggest either dowloading it or buying it. to hear O Come All Ye Faithful to the beat of We're Not Gonna Take It is just priceless.:thumbsup:

Slicker
11-28-2006, 11:15 AM
Trans-Siberian Railroad
Mannheim Steamroller
Andy Williams
Johnny Mathis
Perry Como
"Christmas in Hollis"If I may I'd also like to add Bing Crosby to the list. His voice makes several of the songs just that much better.

Here's a good poem/song entitled A Soldier's Silent Night (http://www.majic.com/audio/A%20Soldiers%20Silent%20Night.mp3). It's kinda fitting with the situation going on now and it's quite good.

pbarnard
11-28-2006, 12:21 PM
The Letterman "O' Holy Night"
Carmen Dragon "Joy to the World"
Harry Connick, Jr. "Santa Claus"
Arthur Fielder and The Boston Pops "Sleighride"
John Williams and The Boston Pops "Nutcracker Prelude"

Makes me wonder what it was like before ~1840 going to Midnight Mass and what not on Christmas Eve. Most of the "traditional" Christmas carols/hymns were written in a 20 year span between 1840-1860 give or take. The music industry as a whole has been trying to duplicate that feat but is going with the if we put enough stuff out there, something will be the next classic, but really just diluting the season and the meaning of the songs imo.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-28-2006, 08:31 PM
Makes me wonder what it was like before ~1840 going to Midnight Mass and what not on Christmas Eve. Most of the "traditional" Christmas carols/hymns were written in a 20 year span between 1840-1860 give or take. The music industry as a whole has been trying to duplicate that feat but is going with the if we put enough stuff out there, something will be the next classic, but really just diluting the season and the meaning of the songs imo.That time was such a drag. I remember, anyone who had a printing press could put out any hymn, durge, or ditty. Most of the stuff was carp, not enough worth the ink on the parchment. There were the Hair Balladeers and the Ye Olde MCs who just ruined the genre. :upset: Hardly anyone from that time gets any print time in the newspapers anymore. :rolleyes:

Mad Slanted Powers
11-28-2006, 09:35 PM
I heard "Snoopy's Christmas" on the radio this year by the Royal Guardsman. Pretty good stuff. He and the Red BAron celebrate Christmas.I had the Snoopy vs The Red Baron son on a Goofy Greats album. Years later, I was going through some old records, and came across a Snoopy Christmas on a 45. I hadn't heard it since I was very little, so I put it on and realized it sounded like the Royal Guardsmen, but there was no indication on the record or the sleeve that said that. It might have even had a different name listed.

Here are some of my favorite modern or "rock & roll" Christmas tunes, some of which have been mentioned.

Waitresses - "Christmas Wrapping"
Paul McCartney - "Simply Having A Wonderful Christmastime"
Chuck Berry - "Run Rudolph Run"
Billy Squier - "Christmas is the Time to Say I Love You'
Elmo & Patsy - "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer"
Brenda Lee - "Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree"

I finally bought the Charlie Brown last year.

For something a bit more traditional, I like "Do You Hear What I Hear?", however I just looked it up and it was written in 1962.

I think Public Enemy should do a Christmas tune, it would go a little something like this:

Flavor Flav - Yeah, Winter Wonderland in full effect boyeeeeeeee!

Chuck D - Riding through the snow in an open sleigh, Santa with his reindeer leading the way, flying around the world with a bag full of toys, to give to all the good little girls and boys, but sorry if I don't share in your cheer, 'cause Santa ain't coming to the hood this year.

DarkArtist
11-28-2006, 09:38 PM
Ok here goes some Christmas Tunes on the PC:

Christmas Don't Be Late (Chipmunks)
Do They Know it's Christmas (Band Aid)
Nutcracker Suite (Trans Siberian Orchestra)
Frosty the Snowman (jimmy Durante)
Father Christmas (The Kinks)
Father Christmas (Emerson Lake & Palmer)
Hey Santa (Carnie & Wendy Wilson)
Run Rudolph Run (Bryan Adams)
Where Are You Christmas (Faith Hill)
What Christmas Should Be (Hilary Duff)
Santa's Beard (The Beach Boys)
Christmas Wrapping (The Waitresses)

Mad Slanted Powers
11-28-2006, 10:25 PM
Ah yes, I forgot to mention the Kinks.

I also forgot to mention "Feliz Navidad" by Josť Feliciano.

Speaking of "Feliz Navidad", Jared, Butcher of Song also had a song of that name. For those of you with a Macintosh, search for the Dashboard Widget "Jared Butcher of Song". It has three Jared songs, one of which is his Christmas song. For those on Windows, you might be able to find something at http://dev.freeverse.com:16080/faq/index.php?action=artikel&cat=1&id=68&artlang=en&highlight=toys

El Chuxter
11-28-2006, 10:46 PM
1) I recently discovered that the Trans-Siberian Orchestra is basically underrated art/metal band Savatage with a backing orchestra. Very cool.

2) A while back (June?), a Sam Goody was closing down and had their Christmas CD's so heavily discounted that I came out with a huge stack for less than $20. I've been opening them and listening. I'm a bit surprised to say that Loretta Lynn's Christmas album kicks quite a bit of butt to be as old as it is. I think the album's actually older than Jack White by about a decade.

Speaking of which, where is this supposed second Lynn/White collaboration?

2-1B
11-28-2006, 11:30 PM
Hopefully nowhere near a CD player within my earshot.

2-1B
11-28-2006, 11:33 PM
Ok here goes some Christmas Tunes on the PC:

Christmas Don't Be Late (Chipmunks)

Is this the same one playing in the background while Duke plays Chess with that Russian escort in Rocky IV ?

El Chuxter
12-07-2006, 11:02 PM
I just listened to some clips of the Twisted Sister CD.

Not bad. Not bad at all.

But not worth $14.

Maybe at the after-Christmas sales.

dindae
12-08-2006, 05:02 PM
Traditional

Baby It's Cold Outside

Non-Traditional

Waitresses - "Christmas Wrapping"
Paul McCartney - "Simply Having A Wonderful Christmastime"
Billy Squier - "Christmas is the Time to Say I Love You'
John Lennon's - "So This Is Christmas (War Is Over)
The Kinks - "Father Christmas"

Sentinel18725
12-10-2006, 01:24 PM
Traditional:
1. Bing Crosby (grew up listening to it, so it still soothes me)
2. Classical (orchestra or piano, NOT Trans Syberian crap)

Non-Traditional:

Weird Al "Christmas at Ground Zero"

figrin bran
12-21-2006, 02:12 AM
2) A while back (June?), a Sam Goody was closing down and had their Christmas CD's so heavily discounted that I came out with a huge stack for less than $20. I've been opening them and listening. I'm a bit surprised to say that Loretta Lynn's Christmas album kicks quite a bit of butt to be as old as it is. I think the album's actually older than Jack White by about a decade.

Speaking of which, where is this supposed second Lynn/White collaboration?

Hopefully nowhere near a CD player within my earshot.

you're wrong! Van Lear Rose was awesome!

2-1B
12-21-2006, 03:47 AM
Jack White:Caesar :: Our Country:Figrin Bran

( did I do that "is to" thing correctly?:confused: )

Mad Slanted Powers
12-21-2006, 10:10 AM
How could I forget Bob & Doug McKenzie's version of "The 12 Days of Christmas"?

OC47150
12-28-2006, 08:45 AM
And a beer!

Question: 10 to 20 years from now, do you think Christmas songs recorded by artists who are popular today (Destiny's Child, Christina Agulaira, etc...) will be heavily played like Andy Williams and Bing Crosby?

I don't think so. Granted, there may be one or two now popular songs that are still played but I believe the majority will be forgotten. The classics are that: classic. They will be here long after we're gone.

Just my two cents.

El Chuxter
12-28-2006, 11:12 AM
The few that are actually good may still be played. Like Norah's "Peace" or maybe even Twisted Sister's "O Come All Ye Faithful."

But, then again, Bob Rivers was pretty good 15-20 years ago, and now what we thought then were surefire classics (like "Twelve Pains of Christmas" or "Walking 'Round in Women's Underwear") sound pretty hackneyed and tired.

Thankfully everyone else seems to have realized that Elmo and Patsy unleashed a despicable evil onto mankind with "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer," and it seems to get a lot less play the last couple of years.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-28-2006, 01:23 PM
Flavor of the months like Christina, Beyonce and others will disappear into obscurity a few years from now, no doubt.

Blasmephy to you Chux on your trashing of the Elmo and Patsy gem. Lord knows, some eons from now, when society forgets our glorious contributions like "Silent Night" and "O Holy Night", "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" will be the sole hymn for some future generation will have left to remember us by.

DarkArtist
12-28-2006, 01:37 PM
Is this the same one playing in the background while Duke plays Chess with that Russian escort in Rocky IV ?

yes. I can remember actually asking Santa for the Chipmunks Christmas Album on Cassette Tape years ago.

DarkArtist
12-28-2006, 01:39 PM
Thankfully everyone else seems to have realized that Elmo and Patsy unleashed a despicable evil onto mankind with "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer," and it seems to get a lot less play the last couple of years.

Come to think of it, I didn't hear this song at all this year. Almost everytime I turned the radio on I got Josh Groban's Believe or O Holy Night.

Darth Jax
12-28-2006, 07:25 PM
i'd think mariah carey's christmas album (o holy nite and all i want for christmas is you) can go the distance, and possibly brian setzer's contributions. all the rest of the people's releasing seasonal albums now will be long gone and forgotten within a couple seasons.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-28-2006, 07:31 PM
Flavor of the months like Christina, Beyonce and others will disappear into obscurity a few years from now, no doubt. While I'm not fans of them either, I would hardly call them flavors of the month. They've both been doing well for quite a while. Whether they record any Christmas classics is another matter. It seems that most Christmas albums these days are just remakes of classic songs, and many of the new songs seem to be love songs as much as Christmas songs.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
11-18-2007, 12:05 AM
While I'm not fans of them either, I would hardly call them flavors of the month. They've both been doing well for quite a while. Whether they record any Christmas classics is another matter. It seems that most Christmas albums these days are just remakes of classic songs, and many of the new songs seem to be love songs as much as Christmas songs.

Sorry MSP, I should have clarified that their Christmas recordings won't become classics. Flavors of the month? We'll see. If they are still around cranking out hits 10 years from now then I will recant.

Anyway, today is the day that the local radio has gone balls out for Christmas! Too early, IMO but each station didn't want to be outdone by the other, so as a result, we'll get over a month of Christmas music.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-18-2007, 01:29 AM
After last Christmas, I went through iTunes and selected a bunch of songs to make my own Christmas compilation. I didn't buy them then, but probably will sometime soon. Now that Paul McCartney songs are on iTunes, I've added "Wonderful Christmastime" to that list as well.

El Chuxter
11-18-2007, 11:36 AM
Good call, MSP. I hadn't even thought about looking for that one yet!

2-1B
11-18-2007, 11:54 AM
Heather Mills won't likely be listening to that one this year.

OC47150
11-18-2007, 09:33 PM
I saw a big band Christmas album at WM that I plan on purchasing. A friend also is going to burn Michael Buble's Christmas CD for me. There's only 5 - 6 songs on it but still worth a listen, I'm told.

plasticfetish
12-06-2007, 01:58 AM
Here's my new favorite Christmas song. (http://www.plasticfetish.net/songs/c-3po_xmas.mp3)

Bel-Cam Jos
12-09-2007, 10:14 AM
I found* this little thing recently:

Class Action Lawsuit Filed in "The Christmas Song"

Washington, D.C., 2007ish
A class action lawsuit was filed this week claiming discrimination in the warm holiday wishes expressed in the well-known holiday tune "The Christmas Song," also known by its common opening lyrics, "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire."

Attorney Gary Gnu gave a news conference yesterday explaining the terms of the suit. "We feel that this supposedly friendly carol is extremely discriminatory towards our very young and very old listeners," he stated. Any kid who is under the age of two, and senior citizens, some of whom have served our nation in times of need, over the age of 92 are excempt from the "Merry Christmas" greetings presented in the song. This is unaccetable."

Several toddlers and seniors expressed similar frustrations. Samuel Twain recently celebrated his 100th birthday and said, "how am I supposed to enjoy the holidays, when I can't even get a good wish from a public domain song. It's sad really."

And 18-month old Jeremy spoke in class today, "Igg bok duh wama wama bot." Clearly stated and obvious in its verocity and verve.

Gnu continued. "We are asking the song writers to reconsider when they try to block citizens' rights at any times of the year, especially the retail seasons when our economy needs the financial stimulation that time-honored songs provide. We have offered a simple replacement verse for the discriminatory one."

The lines are printed below:
And so I'm offering this simple phrase,
To kids from inside the womb to just before the tomb;
Although its been said and signed for those with hearing difficulties,
Many times many ways
Merry Christmas
To you.

* = created by myself today

JimJamBonds
12-09-2007, 11:21 AM
Christmas with the Devil, Mistress for Christmas, Walking in Women's Underware

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-09-2007, 12:13 PM
Here's my new favorite Christmas song. (http://www.plasticfetish.net/songs/c-3po_xmas.mp3)

I click on the link and all I get is a white screen that says "done" at the bottom of it. Unfortunately, my keen lack of computer skills won't tell me what I need to do in order to hear this song. Any suggestions?

And Bel-Cam, you win the cornyute post of the year award for that story on "The Christmas Song."

Mad Slanted Powers
12-09-2007, 02:12 PM
One problem BCJ. The song says from 1 to 92, so that 18 month old has no right to complain. CASE DISMISSED!

TeeEye7
12-09-2007, 05:10 PM
BCJ: Genius! :thumbsup:

(....this will probably inspire some knucklehead to really pursue this, though :rolleyes:)

Bel-Cam Jos
12-09-2007, 06:07 PM
One problem BCJ. The song says from 1 to 92, so that 18 month old has no right to complain. CASE DISMISSED!Uh, if you had bothered to actually listen to what he said, you've have realized that he was simply lamenting how he couldn't experience what he has now, until 8 months ago. :statuteoflimitations: CASE STILL OPENED! :p

El Chuxter
12-09-2007, 07:37 PM
A clever Mark Twain reference and a clever Pearl Jam reference. Well done, BCJ.

2-1B
12-09-2007, 07:51 PM
I love this holiday classic by The King:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74w6vE9hqhE

OC47150
12-09-2007, 07:57 PM
Listened to the Rat Pack Christmas CD, Holly Jolly Christmas by the Chairman and the Phil Spector Christmas CDs while doing some decorating this afternoon. Put me in better spirits.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-09-2007, 09:18 PM
Listened to the Rat Pack Christmas CD, Holly Jolly Christmas by the Chairman and the Phil Spector Christmas CDs while doing some decorating this afternoon. Put me in better spirits.

The Phil Spector is the next Christmas CD on my hitlist. His patented "wall of sound" make his music unique, Christmas or not, for any artist.

I did finally purchase the Vince Guraldi Charlie Brown Christmas CD this year. Last year I kinda looked too late and couldn't find one. I searched online hoping to find one for a steal, but with shipping cost, that option wasn't going to be worth it.

plasticfetish
12-10-2007, 01:11 AM
I click on the link and all I get is a white screen that says "done" at the bottom of it. Unfortunately, my keen lack of computer skills won't tell me what I need to do in order to hear this song. Any suggestions?Hmmm. If your browser isn't set to play mp3 files, you could right-click, save it to your desktop (or wherever) and then open it with whatever music player you might use.

JON9000
12-10-2007, 01:32 PM
I did finally purchase the Vince Guraldi Charlie Brown Christmas CD this year.

The only Christmas CD I have, and the only one I ever want. Just chills you out. Really good background music.

As far as traditional Christmas songs, even though I am an agnostic, I like the Jesusy ones best. O Holy Night, Silent Night and such.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-10-2007, 08:29 PM
A clever Mark Twain reference and a clever Pearl Jam reference. Well done, BCJ.Thanks; was wonderin' if anybody'd notice. Was the Great Space Coaster one too obvious?

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-10-2007, 09:51 PM
Hmmm. If your browser isn't set to play mp3 files, you could right-click, save it to your desktop (or wherever) and then open it with whatever music player you might use.

I right-clicked and clicked on "save target as." I went to save it to my desktop but there was one problem. The file wouldn't download for me. It was stuck at 0%. Perhaps I do not have the appropriate plug-in or whatever.

plasticfetish
12-10-2007, 10:00 PM
Perhaps I do not have the appropriate plug-in or whatever.After all the hassle, you're gonna kill me when you hear how bad that song is. :D

My Mac browser (Safari) just opens the file and plays it, but on my Windows PC (using IE) it downloads the file (like yours) and then opens it using Quicktime as the player. So yeah, you probably need to make sure you have a player (plug-in) that can handle mp3 files.

JimJamBonds
12-10-2007, 10:01 PM
I love this holiday classic by The King:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74w6vE9hqhE

Very nice!

El Chuxter
12-11-2007, 01:37 PM
Riddle me this:

Who is more iconic as far as Christmas music goes, Charlie Brown or Charles Brown?

(If you don't know, Charles is the blues pianist who first performed the classic "Merry Christmas, Baby.")

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-17-2007, 01:24 PM
After all the hassle, you're gonna kill me when you hear how bad that song is. :D

My Mac browser (Safari) just opens the file and plays it, but on my Windows PC (using IE) it downloads the file (like yours) and then opens it using Quicktime as the player. So yeah, you probably need to make sure you have a player (plug-in) that can handle mp3 files.

Thanks for all your help PF, I finally got the song working, and you are right, I do want to kill you now! :)

All kidding aside, my first reaction was that I didn't know George Lucas talents extended to songwriting. The song was grating on the ears and reminded me of the "Dear Mr. Jesus" Holiday song from the 1980's. Definitely a song that is worth forgetting. Good find though. :thumbsup:

plasticfetish
12-17-2007, 08:36 PM
No problem. I have the entire Star Wars Christmas album... and if you're not careful, I just might upload all of the files. (Amazingly bad.)

OC47150
12-17-2007, 09:00 PM
Riddle me this:

Who is more iconic as far as Christmas music goes, Charlie Brown or Charles Brown?

(If you don't know, Charles is the blues pianist who first performed the classic "Merry Christmas, Baby.")

That's easy: Charlie Brown. Great music for a classic cartoon.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-17-2007, 09:07 PM
I recently bought the Lightnin' Hopkins version of "Merry Christmas Baby" from iTunes. I got the Charlie Brown Christmas CD last year.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-22-2007, 11:05 AM
No problem. I have the entire Star Wars Christmas album... and if you're not careful, I just might upload all of the files. (Amazingly bad.)Remember, it was MECO would did this one, too. I wouldn't call it amazingly bad, but it is dated.

I can imagine Mr. M saying "c'mon disco, hear me baby, hold together."
Then, when he realized the enormity of bringing back an at-that-time despised musical genre: "I can't. It's too big."
And much of the listening public: "That, is why you fail..."

Slicker
12-22-2007, 10:03 PM
I've found myself listening to Soldier's Silent Night (http://www.tankmastergunner.com/images/silent_night.mp3)of late. It almost perfectly mirrors what this Christmas'll be like for me this year...

El Chuxter
12-23-2007, 12:52 AM
iTunes has a bunch of cool one-offs, like the aforementioned Darkness song, as well as an awesome tune by The Killers called "Don't Shoot Me Santa" and a rather good cover of "Backdoor Santa" by Jet.

There's also a Christmas EP by Becky Barksdale on there. Back when there was such a thing as House of Blues Records, they put the same song by her on just about every sampler and said her album was forthcoming. It never happened, though there are a few albums worth on iTunes. (I guess they ended up being released locally.) She's Texas blues, and her Christmas songs are wicked, aside from a way-too-slow "Amazing Grace."

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-23-2007, 04:47 PM
No problem. I have the entire Star Wars Christmas album... and if you're not careful, I just might upload all of the files. (Amazingly bad.)

Go ahead an upload them. Lately, I have been looking for new discipline techniques to utilize in my classroom. :D

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Bump for the annual stroking of my ego.

JimJamBonds
12-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Mistress For Christmas - AC/DC
Christmas With The Devil - Spinal Tap

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Another song that I am starting to like is on Canadian stations all the time. It is called "Driving Home for Christmas." I don't know the name of the singer, probably a Canadian known only artist, but it is a song worth a listen to.

After writing about this song for a few years, I finally did some detective work.

I figured out that the song is sung by Chris Rhea. He is a popular musician in Europe and has a following here in North America, but to a lesser extent. I do not hear his music on any radio station I listen two, and only the Christmas song on Canadian radio (which I am 25 miles away from the border).

When I found out about the artist, I did an Itunes search in hopes of purchasing the song. I would say they had 75% of his songs available off Itunes, but not this particular song. Local retailers had very little of any of Chris's songs.

I knew Ebay and other online retailiers would be other avenues that I could explore, but I didn't want to spend $15 with shipping on a CD for one song. So I kept hoping for an online music store to make that one song available and for two years, no luck. So I finally broke down and ordered the CD off Ebay, cheap, from Argentina and am awaiting shipping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THcbQyFtCqg

DarkArtist
12-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Traditional equals for me any of the classics, Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, and other soft quiet holiday music, Amy Grant, etc basically anything that they play on those stations that have completely gone over to 24/7 Christmas music

non Traditional : Twisted Sister's Twisted Christmas (love this CD and just the fact that most of the songs are in key to We're Not Gonna Take It)

Trans-Siberian Orchestra : while they have a traditional sound of instrumental holiday music i put them in the non traditional catagory due to the rock base of the music (going to see them on the 13th....can't wait)

El Chuxter
12-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Trans-Siberian Orchestra is essentially the core of Savatage with a backing orchestra. Sadly, as good as Savatage was, it seems they make mad bank doing Christmas songs with the full orchestra. Kinda like how Vince Offer makes mad bank shilling ShamWow, so he won't do a sequel to his movie.

DarkArtist
12-08-2008, 02:19 PM
Trans-Siberian Orchestra is essentially the core of Savatage with a backing orchestra. Sadly, as good as Savatage was, it seems they make mad bank doing Christmas songs with the full orchestra. Kinda like how Vince Offer makes mad bank shilling ShamWow, so he won't do a sequel to his movie.

have to agree with you there Chux. i actually have a few of Savatage's album - currently listening to Dead Winter Dead.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-08-2008, 09:56 PM

I just looked up Savatage and discovered "Sirens". I remember a couple kids on the school bus playing that song on their boom box way back in the day. I don't know if I ever knew who performed it until now. I wasn't certain if it was the same song because the iTunes clip didn't have the chorus in it, but I found it on Youtube.

pbarnard
12-11-2008, 11:19 AM
Harry Conick Jr's "Santa Claus" is catchy. I enjoy "Sleighride", the version I have is from Aurthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops (no chorus/singing), also not sure which orchestra or conductor, but have a version of the Prelude to the Nutcracker. Bobby Helms "Jingle Bell Rock" and Peggy Lee's "Rockin' Round the Christmas Tree" do the 1950s bopper era. And every year my apreciation for the Lettermen's "Oh Holy Night" version grows.

I like nothing modern really. It is just a cheap way for a lot of artists to get a 2nd or third album out and avoid having to pay royalties/song writers. It also helps that I only try to actively listen to this music between Thanksgiving day and the feast of the Epiphany (the full 12 Days of Christmas).

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-11-2008, 08:48 PM
I just uploaded the 5 disc set of Sufjan Stevens' "Songs for Christmas."

It is hands down the BEST Christmas collection i've ever heard. It's just gorgeous in its simplicity and vocals. Such awesome stuff. :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
12-23-2008, 11:59 AM
What were your favorite (regional?) "echoes" after the lines in "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer?" Aside from just repeating the last word (like reindeer/reindeer, Rudolph/Rudolph, loved him/loved him).

"... shiny nose" [like a lightbulb]
"... call him names" [like Pinnochio]
"... any reindeer games" [like Monopoly]
"... came to say" [ho, ho, ho]
"... with glee" [yippee]
"... in his-tory" [like toothpaste... and I never understood why]

Remember, that this is a youth-friendly website, too. :rolleyes:

DarkArtist
12-23-2008, 12:20 PM
been listening to Alvin and the Chipmunks Christmas CD. loved this CD as a kid.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-23-2008, 02:07 PM
What were your favorite (regional?) "echoes" after the lines in "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer?" Aside from just repeating the last word (like reindeer/reindeer, Rudolph/Rudolph, loved him/loved him).

"... with glee" [yippee]

I too remember singing the additions you mentioned BCJ with the exception of the "with glee" line (never added anything to that verse) and our "in his-tory" ended with the words "like George Washington!"

While on the subject, who wants to post their "Jingle Bells, Batman Smells" lyrics?

Bel-Cam Jos
12-23-2008, 06:14 PM
I too remember singing the additions you mentioned BCJ ... and our "in his-tory" ended with the words "like George Washington!"

While on the subject, who wants to post their "Jingle Bells, Batman Smells" lyrics?We also ended with "like Columbus" for the last line (which made more sense than toothpaste).

I only knew it as the "standard" version, I think:

"Jingle bells, Batman smells,
Robin laid an egg.
Batmobile, lost a wheel
And Joker got away, hey!"

Although, I had a friend who had a simpler, odder version:

Robin laid an egg.
Turned out to be a cookie,
And it rolled away."

Darth Jax
12-23-2008, 06:55 PM

"... with glee" [yippee]

most of the ones i remember are similar to yours:

it glows - like a lightbulb
call him names - like dumbo
reindeer games - like touch football
in history - (this one varied on the company) but was typically either napoleon, lincoln or hitler.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-23-2008, 08:09 PM

"... with glee" [yippee]

Actually, those sorts of things annoyed me, though it is possible I may have said them at some point. The Monopoly one is one I remember being said.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-24-2008, 04:36 PM
We also ended with "like Columbus" for the last line (which made more sense than toothpaste).

I only knew it as the "standard" version, I think:

Robin laid an egg.
Batmobile, lost a wheel
And Joker got away, hey!"

Although, I had a friend who had a simpler, odder version:

Robin laid an egg.
Turned out to be a cookie,
And it rolled away."

I recall singing the first "standard" version of Jingle Bells, but I also should add another version that we fondly sang during our younger days:

"Jingle Bells, Santa smells,
Then he laid an egg.
Blows his nose, with cheerios
and eats 'em anyway!"

sith_killer_99
12-24-2008, 05:20 PM
My newest favorite Christmas song is "12 Days" as sung by Straight No Chaser!

Has anyone seen the video on youtube?:D

Darth Jax
12-24-2008, 06:03 PM
My newest favorite Christmas song is "12 Days" as sung by Straight No Chaser!

Has anyone seen the video on youtube?:D

they are definitely an internet sensation. a college group that sang a song at a live event. the members graduated and the group dissolved. but put the video up on youtube and soon people are requesting it on the "all christmas" music stations. i hear it several times a day now. so get the guys back together and rush out a christmas album, including the live version of 12 days that people like.

interesting gimmick, but it lost it's appeal quickly for me.

sith_killer_99
12-24-2008, 07:18 PM
Lots of "versions" out there. Here's one of my favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3qcAVE1dRk

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-05-2009, 11:04 AM
Bob Dylan releases a Christmas album. :confused:

I guess nothing he does these days will surprise me.

Straight No Chasers latest includes the Can-Can? :confused:

Mad Slanted Powers
12-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Bob Dylan releases a Christmas album. :confused:

I guess nothing he does these days will surprise me.

Straight No Chasers latest includes the Can-Can? :confused:

Bill O'Reilly mentioned this quite a while ago and put him as a patriot on his "Pinheads & Patriots" segment at the end of the show because the money from the album was going to charity. On a later show, he played a clip from it that sounded kind of bad, and put him in the pinhead category (actually it might have been one of the times where he said, "you make the call").

JimJamBonds
12-05-2009, 08:28 PM
Mistress for Christmas - AC/DC
Christmas With The Devil - Spinal Tap

Rocketboy
12-05-2009, 11:18 PM
Stone Temple Pilots frontman Scott Weiland just released an amazing version of "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas."
I think he's got a great voice as it is but I think this may be one of his best vocal performances of his career.

OC47150
01-03-2010, 08:59 PM
I thought I was going to get through the holiday without buying any new CDs, but that failed on Dec. 19. I bought two compliation CDs at FYE.

What caught my eye on the first one was a version of 'Last Christmas.' I was shopping at JC Penney's and heard a jazzy version of that song on the PA and liked it. When I saw it was on the CD, I thought that could be it. It wasn't but the CD's still pretty good.

The second CD is full of classic Christmas tunes.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Can we agree this is the worst Christmas song/video ever? Not to trash the message of the song, or the fact that there are millions of abused children around the world, but the sappiness/cheesiness factor of this song and the fact that is so dated makes it :cross-eye

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT_xEye3b3M

Slicker
12-12-2010, 10:30 PM
If I hear that f**king Christmas Shoes song one more damn time I'm going to kick a nest of baby birds. :mad:

Rocketboy
12-12-2010, 11:05 PM
The Phineas and Ferb Christmas album is awesome.

OC47150
12-13-2010, 07:37 PM
Can we agree this is the worst Christmas song/video ever? Not to trash the message of the song, or the fact that there are millions of abused children around the world, but the sappiness/cheesiness factor of this song and the fact that is so dated makes it :cross-eye

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT_xEye3b3M

I have to agree. And the Christmas Shoes song isn't a favorite, either.

I remember 12+ years ago, a co-worker came into work one morning and I think she heard the Dear Mr. Jesus song for the first time. It really upset her.

Neuroleptic
12-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Best Christmas song ever:

Kidnap the Sandy Claws from The Nightmare Before Christmas. Though, my wife and daughter are partial to What's This? also from the same movie.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-14-2010, 06:31 PM
Read in the newspaper that Bulgaria listed its two worst Christmas songs that get radio airplay were Wham's "Last Christmas" and then Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas is You." Can't say I disagree with them.

Bulgaria? Really? :rolleyes:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-25-2010, 10:01 AM
Time for something different. Name a holiday song and then put the artist next to it who you think has the best version of that song.

White Christmas: Got to go with Bing
Little Drummer Boy: Harry Simeone Choir
Santa Claus is Coming to Town: Bruce Springsteen
Silent Night: The Manheim Steamroller, Honorable Mention, Charlotte Church
Sleigh Ride: Leroy Anderson and the Boston Pops
Winter Wonderland: Johnny Mathis
Do You Hear What I Hear: Whitney Houston
Silver Bells: Diana Ross & the Supremes
The Christmas Song: Mel Torme Honorable Mention, Nat King Cole
Deck the Halls: The Manheim Steamroller
Oh Holy Night: Perry Como

Rocketboy
12-25-2010, 10:29 AM
This year I finally bought the two Christmas albums I've wanted for years: Bing Crosby's White Christmas and Andy Williams' Christmas Collection.

Hands down, the two best Christmas albums of all time.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-25-2010, 10:55 AM
Time for something different. Name a holiday song and then put the artist next to it who you think has the best version of that song.

Oh Holy Night: Perry ComoThere is no other "White Christmas" version besides Bing's, IMHO.
I don't know.
I am partial to the Pointer Sisters' "S.C.I.C.T.T."
I don't know.
I'll go with Johhny Mathis, too.
Bing Crosby, once again, has a fabulous voice on "D.Y.H.W.I.H.?"
I don't know.
I also like Nat King Cole's "T.C.S.," but the Carpenters did a great one, two.
I don't know.
As much as I hate to admit it, Celine Dion's "O.H.N." is very good.

I'll add a few other songs:
The 12 Days of Christmas: John Denver & the Muppets
A Holly, Jolly Christmas: Burl Ives
Santa Baby: Madonna
Christmas in Hollis: Run DMC :rolleyes:

El Chuxter
12-25-2010, 12:28 PM
This year I finally bought the two Christmas albums I've wanted for years: Bing Crosby's White Christmas and Andy Williams' Christmas Collection.

Hands down, the two best Christmas albums of all time.

No, that would be A Christmas Gift for You by Phil Spector and the Beach Boys' Christmas Album. :p

OC47150
12-26-2010, 08:35 PM

Oh Holy Night: Perry Como

I can go along with most of the list. The Christmas Song is a toss-up.

Jingle Bell Rock: Brenda Lee.

No, that would be A Christmas Gift for You by Phil Spector and the Beach Boys' Christmas Album. :p

I have to agree there, El Chuxter. Two of my faves, as well as Christmas with the Rat Pack.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-27-2010, 10:37 AM
I would have to vote as the WORST Christmas carol, the "Silent Night" version by Christina Aguilera. Why? BECAUSE SHE USES HER SCREAM-LEVEL VOLUME FOR TOO MUCH OF A SONG THAT HAS "SILENT" IN ITS TITLE! That's why. Yes, you have a good singing voice, in high ranges; you don't need to prove it on a solemn song. It'll wake the newborn baby.

El Chuxter
12-27-2010, 12:49 PM
In any case, I saw an Andy Williams Christmas CD half-off at Target, and picked it up on Rocketboy's recommendation. :thumbsup:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
11-27-2011, 09:54 PM
Two of our local soft rock radio stations switched to an all Christmas format on November 9th! Holy Schnikes! That'll make the withdrawal process all the more painful.

OC47150
11-28-2011, 01:59 PM
The local station that does Christmas music in my area switched over a week early, too. Thought it was a little odd. I really didn't start listening until Thanksgiving.

JimJamBonds
11-29-2011, 10:23 PM
Two of our local soft rock radio stations switched to an all Christmas format on November 9th! Holy Schnikes! That'll make the withdrawal process all the more painful.Good lord, I'd want to shoot myself if that were the case! (the fact its played so long, not the withdrawl).

OC47150
12-01-2011, 02:57 PM
One of the local radio stations for 25+ years, at noon on Thanksgiving, play Alice's Restaurant. I've been tuning in for about 10 years or so. Whether or whatever I'm doing is put on hold so I can listen.

El Chuxter
12-01-2011, 03:06 PM
You can have anything you want at Alice's Restaurant...

'Cept Christmas music waiting until after Thanksgiving, apparently.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-01-2011, 07:01 PM
One of the local radio stations for 25+ years, at noon on Thanksgiving, play Alice's Restaurant. I've been tuning in for about 10 years or so. Whether or whatever I'm doing is put on hold so I can listen.

For the first time this year, I heard the song, and it came on during Thanksgiving day at noon as well (and replayed at 6 pm). Don't know how long they have been doing it. This local classic rock station is not my favorite and I only caught it because I was flipping through the station.

OC47150
11-09-2012, 08:34 PM
There's not one, but two local radio stations already playing Christmas music in my area. Just odd to hear Little Saint Nick while I was off to cut grass for the final time of the year.

A third radio station should start the holly jolly music in a few more weeks.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
11-09-2012, 10:09 PM
There's not one, but two local radio stations already playing Christmas music in my area. Just odd to hear Little Saint Nick while I was off to cut grass for the final time of the year.

Today was the day here too for two local radio stations to pump up the Christmas music. I guess that don't want the other to get in first edgewise so they started together.

The best method in my opinion is when they mix 4 or 5 pop songs in a row, then sneak a Christmas tune in there.

JimJamBonds
12-03-2012, 10:05 PM
Mistress for Christmas.

El Chuxter
12-03-2012, 10:47 PM
If there was a "Like" button, you'd just have earned a click, JJB2.

OC47150
12-25-2012, 12:45 AM

I posted this message close to a month and a half ago. The third radio station didn't start playing Christmas music until noon today, and will until midnite Christmas nite.

I flipped over to one of the previous two stations to listen in today and discovered that one of them had changed format from Christmas to soft pop/romantic. I thought, what the heck? Couldn't wait another day and a half?

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-25-2012, 11:00 AM
One of my new favorite Christmas songs is Joni Mitchell's "The River" from the Ally McBeal soundtrack sung by Iron Man himself.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-06-2013, 06:41 PM
In the same idea as the "This or That" thread, which extended note is your favorite in carols: the "glo-o-o-o-o-o-ria" in "Angels We Have Heard on High," or the "oh....oh" in "We Three Kings"?

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
11-11-2013, 10:27 AM
Posted a little late, but both local pop stations in the Buffalo area switched to all Christmas music the past Monday (11/4) for non stop Christmas music until Christmas Day. It beat last year's by 5 days and I suspect soon that we are going to see both stations switch just right on or after Halloween.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-11-2013, 12:05 PM
All stations still seem to be playing current music, but I expect the change within a week or so (it's been before Thanksgiving the last couple years, after that holiday being the "official" switch date).

JimJamBonds
11-11-2013, 10:13 PM
If there was a "Like" button, you'd just have earned a click, JJB2.
Thanks Chux!

While I'm pretty much been burnt out on Christmas music for over a decade, I am a fan of the Brain Setzer Orchestra's versions of Christmas songs.

OC47151
11-23-2013, 01:22 PM
Nov. 1, the easy-listening radio station started playing Christmas music. It's the earliest that I can remember.

JimJamBonds
12-18-2013, 09:37 PM
Dominick the Christmas Donkey (its a real song).

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-18-2013, 10:11 PM
Dominick the Christmas Donkey (its a real song).

Chingity Ching. Eew-aw, Eew-aw.

OC47151
11-17-2014, 08:48 PM
I've been aiming to post this for a while: the local radio station that plays all Christmas music started on Oct. 30. It was billed as no trick, but a treat for you.

So that makes 57 days of Christmas music.

Today's been the appropriate day for it, though. There's three inches of snow on the ground.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
11-22-2014, 01:26 AM
The two local soft rock stations both reversed a trend of playing Christmas music earlier and earlier this year.

Both started on November 1st of last year switching to all Christmas. This year, the edgier of the 2 stations didn't switch over until this past weekend. The other one is still playing its normal format and will switch on Thanksgiving.

And there is 6 feet of snow on the ground in those areas.

JimJamBonds
11-22-2014, 03:42 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again Mistress For Christmas by AC/DC and Christmas With The Devil ~ Spinal Tap.

OC47151
11-26-2014, 08:44 AM
I ordered three of Ray Conniff and the Ray Conniff Singers' Christmas CDs. These albums came out in the 50s and 60s, and growing up in the 70s and 80s I have memories of listening to them at Grandma's house. Brings back good memories.