PDA

View Full Version : What figure do you really like that you never thought Hasbro would make?

Tycho
12-13-2003, 12:09 PM
I was looking at my cantina diorama the other minute and thought to myself, "I am so glad they decided to make the bartender (Wuher)."

That's one figure you never thought you'd see, but is so necessary to so many of us.

What do you think about Wuher?

Are there any other figures that come to mind when you think about them like that?

I am Jabba the Hutt
12-13-2003, 01:49 PM
Well, there are many figures that I didn't think would be made for a good while. A good Luke Skywalker - Jedi Knight and an Anakin Skywalker Episode II with cloak.

But the figure that springs to mind is the Luke Skywalker Hologram. Before, people would either not have the diorama or have to use the POTF2 Luke figure and pretend it was a hologram. :)

Some of the other dignitaries spring to mind.

plo koon 200
12-13-2003, 04:23 PM
BoShek. I always liked him but never thought of him being put into plastic until he finally came out.

Sentinel18725
12-13-2003, 09:00 PM
I never thought that they would do a Luke in Bacta...that made me happy....even though he isn't very articulated, but still just a great add on for any diorama builder.

bigbarada
12-13-2003, 09:32 PM
Even though the figure has been made a few times before, I'm pretty stoked about the upcoming TIE Pilot. He fits this category because I never thought he would ever be REmade considering his POTF2 incarnation has been rereleased about a million times with various TIE fighters. I'm just happy we're getting a more accurate version since I never really liked the POTF2 sculpt that much.

As for NBM (never-before-made) figures, I can never stress enough how happy I am that they made Ephant Mon.

BoShek
12-13-2003, 09:34 PM
Me! I was on cloud nine when they announced they were making me and I was even more happy when I found me at TRU.

By the way, I was some what of a fan of BoShek since I was a child and it only increased when I read the short story about him and read the got his card from the trading card game.

I am Jabba the Hutt
12-13-2003, 09:59 PM
That's one figure you never thought you'd see, but is so necessary to so many of us.

Are there any other figures that come to mind when you think about them like that?

What about you Tycho? Any others that you never thought you'd see?

AmanaMatt
12-14-2003, 12:02 AM
Amanaman (and Ephant Mon) - honestly, after Amanaman lost the Hasbro poll the first time, I kinda gave up - considering how obsure this character (and strange looking), I never expected to see it made. Everytime I go to TRU and seem him sitting there with Leia, I always want to buy him up since a cool fig like this should not be a pegwarmer (to me).

kool-aid killer
12-14-2003, 12:14 AM
Right now im impressed with my Bail Organa. What makes this figure really cool is that its Jimmy Smits. Im more into any background character so i would have to say im always glad to see an alien or droid on a card. No other toy line has the possibilities like Star Wars.

darthzirock
12-14-2003, 04:07 AM
Well, so far I've been rewarded with most of the figures I never thought they'd ever make being made!

Slave Leia: No way! I thought this was just something Kenner would never attempt, because of the controversy it would raise. So far, we've got two of her (three if you include the "Unleashed" version, five if you include the two 12-inchers).

Darth Vader with removable helmet: I always thought this would be too difficult to attempt. Again, now we've got several of these (including "Unleashed" and two 12-inch versions).

Oola: Another sexy, scantily-clad female that I figured Kenner wouldn't touch. Well, touch her they did!

McQuarrie Concept Stormtrooper: I've been wanting figures based on the original concept art since they did the EU figure/vehicle sets in 1998. I'm still hoping for a complete set of McQuarrie Concept figures like Luke, Leia, Vader, R2, 3PO, Ben, and Yoda. Technically, Asajj Ventress is a "concept" art figure, from an unused character design for AOTC.

Mara Jade and Clone Emperor: Two of my favorite EU characters!

OK, Hasbro, you can make the rest of the figures I want now!

Boba Fetish
12-14-2003, 06:15 AM
Ever since after the first wave of POTF 2 figures, I never thought any characters other than core figures would ever be made because I just never thought there would be the hype to support it. Now that we have this ever expansive plethora of figures that is ten times larger than the original line I have perpetually remained a child in my adult years. If I knew back in '95 the figures they would have today I would've crapped my pants. We have charaters from books, video games, comics, and split second screen shots that make me giddy as a little girl everytime a see a sneak preview of what's around the corner.

Now with Dodonna, Antilles and the likes coming out I don't what to expect from Hasbro. They are full of unexpected surprises and I have no idea what those crazy freaks are gonna pull out of their butt next.

Turambar
12-14-2003, 08:56 AM
So many choices. . . Wuher, Antilles, Dodonna. . . my top votes would go to Ephant Mon because I wanted him forever, and second, the Imperial Dignitaries, because I never thought they would be made.

evenflow
12-14-2003, 09:57 AM
I have to say I agree with someone above. I never thought a Luke in Bacta Tank would ever be made. I love that figure.

Silent Chazz
12-14-2003, 11:03 AM
I don't know if this counts, but I never expected Boba Fett (Kamino Escape) to be packaged with Jango' Helmet, Guns, and Jetpack.

Tycho
12-14-2003, 01:19 PM
What about you Tycho? Any others that you never thought you'd see?

Well, if we go back really, really far now - 8 years already! - I totally knew this collection was going to be better than any before when I got a box of Fruit Loops and saw:

Han Solo Stormtrooper Disguise

Then came:

Grand Moff Tarkin
Wedge Antilles
Slave Leia

However, as these were main heroes, or at least secondary staples in the SW universe, some of the background stuff that really surprised me included:

B'Omarr Monk - how cool is that!
Cantina Band Member (Figrin'Dan and the Clan)
Muftak and Kabe were a nice surprise
Oola too
The Jedi Spirits figures...
Labrina the Devaronian in the 3 pack. Nice.
Wuher of course

How about Jek Porkins?

More recently: Djas Puhr wasn't expected.
Watto's Box Seats
Even the Twi'lek girl and Club Outlander Patrons like Faytooni and Beq

Dodanna, Rieekan, and Antilles, Ozzel's (announcement) and so forth all come as pleasant surprises.

Oh - and Ephant Mon - not just that they made him - but the value you got in the package!

Devo
12-14-2003, 08:35 PM
Well I don't particularly like this figure as its a mere repaint but the Mon Camamari officer took me by surprise.....

steve3p0
12-14-2003, 11:13 PM
i was really happy to see the imperial dignitary. two of them no less. he was the last original figure that wasn't made that i really wanted to see.

Val Da Car
12-16-2003, 11:38 PM
R1-G4.....I thought some of the other figures like BoShek & Ephant Mon were obscure but a droid that hangs out in the background of the opening scene of Star Wars.

I can't wait to get him now that reports are surfacing of the West Coast (Targets) are getting them in.....

mark2d2
12-17-2003, 02:37 AM
R1-G4.....I thought some of the other figures like BoShek & Ephant Mon were obscure but a droid that hangs out in the background of the opening scene of Star Wars.

R1-G4 is my favorite as well.

I always, ALWAYS wanted this guy and gave up all hope after he lost the poll a few years back. . .

I don't have him yet, but the photos are amazing and know I will not tire of him any time soon.

PS --- Not to slag on Boshek or Ephant Mon ---- but R1-G4 actually gets LOADS of screen time compared to either of these glorified extras . . . Seriously. R1 is in a surprising number of shots. . .

LTBasker
12-17-2003, 03:24 AM
The SA Clone. Three packs with limited articulation to the figs were one thing but to do this masterpiece....and make it look good? That was completely unexpected!

Other figs would have to be:
BoShek (And he's pretty cool)
Imperial Officer with variant heads
New great Endor Soldier
Capt. Antilles
Dodonna
Gold Leader

Not sure if they can really count but:
Landspeeder resculpt
Saga X-wing
TIE Bomber
Imperial Shuttle

stillakid
12-17-2003, 11:52 AM
I was just about to say "Jek Porkins" when I saw it listed. Just about every non-core character has been a welcome surprise really. When this all first started up again, I honestly didn't foresee that Hasbro would take it this far. Had I known, I might have rethought my entire modern collecting habits. Who knows? ;)

But yeah, I was pleasantly surprised to see figures like Porkins, Wuher, Oola, Wedge, and Biggs not to mention all the assorted background aliens and droids. I know that Hasbro feels the need to consistently push the core characters, but since they really got the ball rolling on creating all these B and C characters, they now have the unofficial responsibility to finish what they started and do EVERYBODY! :)

LTBasker
12-17-2003, 12:43 PM
Very true, there was also the Max Rebo band 2-packs, that was really unexpected, especially with the characters they did. Sure they stuck around for 3-4 years on the pegs but still. :D

darthzirock
12-17-2003, 01:54 PM
Very true, there was also the Max Rebo band 2-packs, that was really unexpected, especially with the characters they did. Sure they stuck around for 3-4 years on the pegs but still. :D

Not in my neck of the woods, they didn't. These things sold quite well, because there are so blasted many collectors and flea market-dwelling toy scalpers (a.k.a. pond scum)! I only found the Max Rebo 2-pack once on the pegs, and was lucky to get it then. The other band member 2-packs warmed the pegs for maybe a few months, but were gone waaay before Episode I stuff started showing up at retail.

Other figures I never thought I'd see made that have been really cool:
* Emperor's Wrath Vader (POTJ): C'mon, how much more scene-specific can you get? And that glow-in-the-dark skull--priceless!
* Jabba's Dancers (POTF2): OK, I admit it--put a cool-looking alien chick in as little clothing as possible and I am so there!
* Dagobah Spectre Vader (POTJ): Not only another extremely scene-specific figure, but the removable head and face-reveal features are utterly fantastic!
* Fode & Bede (POTJ): After the Episode I "Jabba with Two-Headed Announcer" creature pack with the inaccurate version of it, I thought we'd never get a movie-accurate version of this character. Nicely sculpted, and still a pretty unique-looking alien.
* Darth Maul & Darth Vader: Masters of the Dark Side (POTJ): The best sculpts of either of these two characters to date, and that display stand is pretty sweet, too.
* Aayla Secura (SAGA): When this figure was announced at Celebration II, no one had even seen AOTC yet. So, when the film was released and you hardly see anything of her, you realize just how amazing it was that she not only got made, but didn't end up a statue like Luminara Unduli and Barriss Offee! OK, the Force Lightning accessory is just plain wrong, but this is an otherwise very cool figure.

stillakid
12-17-2003, 06:21 PM
Not in my neck of the woods, they didn't. These things sold quite well, because there are so blasted many collectors and flea market-dwelling toy scalpers (a.k.a. pond scum)! I only found the Max Rebo 2-pack once on the pegs, and was lucky to get it then. The other band member 2-packs warmed the pegs for maybe a few months, but were gone waaay before Episode I stuff started showing up at retail..

Same here. One person's peg warmer is another's scalper bait. :evil:

Deoxyribonucleic
12-18-2003, 12:48 AM
All Of Them>>>>>alllllllllll Of Themmmmmmmmmmmmm!

plasticfetish
12-18-2003, 04:06 AM
As of right now, I'll say R1-G4. I never would have thought that we'd be getting this one on its own card.

Gee, other than that I dunno. It's all been a bit of a blurr lately and honestly I suppose there's always something coming out that's a bit of a surprise. (Some good, some bad.)

aceguide
12-18-2003, 09:44 AM
I have to agree with Luke in Bacta. One of the best sculpts ever, and totally unexpected.

I also think that the Saga Bespin Luke was a nice surprise. The removable hand seemed to be a bit risque.

jedi-cpa
12-18-2003, 11:27 AM
Imperial Scanning Crew Guy

Biggs

WA-7...I didn't think they could pull it off, but they did.

Luke Skywalker, tatooine (OK< that was a joke)

The Sulstan Pilots...I like those

plo koon 200
12-18-2003, 08:56 PM
I almost forgot. R1-G4 is up there with BoShek. I can't wait to find it. I voted for R1-G4 originally. He might not be as big but he is a droid. How can you pass on a droid?

Silent Chazz
12-18-2003, 10:51 PM
The Recent Jedi Council Cinema scenes took me by surprise (even though I still cant find either of them) due to releasing Jedi that have never been released before (especially Yaddle).

B'Omarr Monkey
12-19-2003, 10:23 PM
Most of my selections have been voiced elsewhere (Porkins, R1-G4, Wuher, Djas Puhr, Gold Leader)

Others I was pleasantly surprised by are:

Admiral Motti (now if they'll only make Admiral Tagge)

Muftak and Kabe

Aunt Beru (this is when I knew that anything was possible in this line)

R4-M9

Sio Bibble

Even with continued appearances of third and fourth tier characters, my wish list is far from being complete. When they get to that moisture farmer who walks by in the background as Luke's landspeeder approaches the Imperial checkpoint, then, and only then, will I put my feet up and feel satisfied.