PDA

View Full Version : ESB Reactor Control Room Diorama

jedihunter25
12-13-2003, 09:11 PM
Here are some pics of my recent diorama- ESB Reactor Control Room.

Materials used-
-foamcore for structure
-Avery #8165 full sheet labels (sticker paper) used for textures that I created with Adobe Photoshop 6.0
-hot glue gun and sticks for glueing foamcore together
-5/16 wooden rods that I painted silver for metal pipes

Size-
18" long
6 3/4" high
10 3/4" depth

Total time to build was 3 weeks. Most of the time was spent on making the textures with Adobe Photoshop, planning the dimensions, and going through references like watching this scene (back & forth, slow play, pause) from ESB, books, and SW Behind the Magic CD-ROM.

jedihunter25
12-13-2003, 09:15 PM
Here is a pic taken from the right.

jedihunter25
12-13-2003, 09:18 PM
A pic from the left-

jedihunter25
12-13-2003, 09:37 PM
And another pic from the front-

If you would like to build a diorama like this one, just send me a PM with your E-mail address and I can send you an E-mail package of the textures I made (I made all of them accept the texture outside the window (that I had to alter) that I got from the master of diormamas- Niubniub.

The next one I plan on building is Bespin Hallways-The Escape

dr_evazan22
12-14-2003, 12:05 AM
Dude! That looks great!

Turbowars
12-14-2003, 01:07 PM
Yes, very well done. Are the walls painted, or are they printed textures? You know I have Photoshop 7.0 and have no clue how to create These textures. Is there a book on "How To" you can buy?

jedihunter25
12-14-2003, 04:57 PM
Yes, very well done. Are the walls painted, or are they printed textures? You know I have Photoshop 7.0 and have no clue how to create These textures. Is there a book on "How To" you can buy?

Yes, the walls are printed textures. The color was hard to pick. It's a mix of dark red and brown. I had to print out about 10 different shades (using levels and curves) of this color to get it right. Every now and then my printer prints out RGB colors that Photoshop says I can't. After picking the right (or close enough to) color, I used some stuff in the filter menu- like grain and noise. Here is a piece of texture I created and used-

I don't know much about 7.0 so I don't know what they changed or added. Just go to a book store and you should find many different books on 7.0. When I first got Photoshop I had no clue on how to us it. I went to a book store and found tons of different books. I ended up getting Adobe Photoshop 6.0 Studio Techniques. It was like $45 at the time, but it was well worth it because I can create my own textures and do other things too.

Silent Chazz
12-15-2003, 12:28 AM
Oh my goodness this diorama looks awesome! Very well constructed and looks very realistic (to the movie).

arctangent
12-15-2003, 04:43 AM
Yes, the walls are printed textures. The color was hard to pick. It's a mix of dark red and brown. I had to print out about 10 different shades (using levels and curves) of this color to get it right. Every now and then my printer prints out RGB colors that Photoshop says I can't. After picking the right (or close enough to) color, I used some stuff in the filter menu- like grain and noise.

you would get more accurate results colourwise if you converted the image to cmyk mode to print it out - most printes have cyan, magenta, yellow and black in them and they sometimes struggle to print rgb colours accurately. don't convert the image until you are ready to print though because lots of the filters don't work in cmyk mode.

very nice scene, by the way.

jedihunter25
12-15-2003, 07:59 PM
you would get more accurate results colourwise if you converted the image to cmyk mode to print it out - most printes have cyan, magenta, yellow and black in them and they sometimes struggle to print rgb colours accurately. don't convert the image until you are ready to print though because lots of the filters don't work in cmyk mode.

very nice scene, by the way.

I did that once and the colors that printed turned out horrible. I went back in the history pallet and switched it back to RGB and the colors turned out fine. That's why I always stick to RGB. :)