PDA

View Full Version : sort of off topic:The sheer sadness of us

Devo
12-14-2003, 04:21 PM
As I read down through various threads with people listing off figures they wanted it occured to me the extent to which we are all invested in Star Wars and toy collecting. Lets take a moment to laugh at ourselves. To laugh at the fact that most of us here can name and give a brief history of every obscure background character in every shot from the films. That we go so far as to call the third droid from the left in the jawa sandcrawler our 'favourite character' in all the films. The way we can say we were 'disappointed' when Hasbro made one 'when the hell was he in the film' character rather than another that we had been 'longing for since childhood'. Aren't we all terribly sad people? Before anyone takes offence bear in mind that I include myself in this. Its just wierd isn't it?

There's probably not much scope for response to this thread but I suppose if it picks up a lot of 'views' then it has fulfilled its purpose.

Beast
12-14-2003, 04:49 PM
I don't think we're really sad. More like, really dedicated to the Star Wars universe. It's no different then LOTR's fans that can rattle off all the character names and their family trees. Or Comic fans that can rattle off the names of all the mutants from Marvel's X-Men and their histories. After all, most of us grew up with these movies. They helped forge who we are as adults. And one of the things many of us always used to wonder, is who is this character? What are they? What's there story? And before the West End Games books, most of them were unknown characters that just shared a moment of screen time and facinated us. But then West End Games came along, with their RPG source books. And filled in all this massive ammounts of characters that had before been a mystery. Sad, not really. Overly dedicated, probably. Obsessed, definatly. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I am Jabba the Hutt
12-14-2003, 06:06 PM
Nothing wrong with being very interested in something. I'm very interested in Great White Sharks and can probably name loads of obscure facts about them. I have been referred to as "a Shark Geek" a few times but I don't care cause I enjoy reading about them.

The way I see it. The world would be a better place if more people were interested in Star Wars and watching the movies and collecting the figures as opposed to being bored and going out causing trouble and taking drugs etc.

Jar Jar's right, we are who we are and I for one wouldn't change who I am for the world. Growing up with Star Wars was a great thing, I've loved it my whole life. The only people who understand Star Wars fans are Star Wars fans. The people on this site are very cool, normal people who have a shared passion for all things Jedi. :)

There are people like Stamp Collectors who are seen as sad but as long as they enjoy it and get fun out of doing it, that's all that matters. :)

Turbowars
12-14-2003, 06:07 PM
Sad? Where do you get sad of of something that some of us enjoy? Maybe you think of yourself being sad collecting this stuff, but when I'm not here shooting the shiit, Life goes on. SW is a part of me and that's that. Is it sad to know everything to know about fishing, movies, racing, or football? No, it's others hobbies and thats not sad at all. Sad is not having anything to do.;)Oh and I'm not one that can name every character in SW. Sometimes I think I should, but don't. My wife asked me sometimes what a certain Characters name is and I have no clue.

I am Jabba the Hutt
12-14-2003, 06:15 PM
No, it's others hobbies and thats not sad at all. Sad is not having anything to do.

Couldn't agree more dude. I see some people who are real sad. They hang around on street corners drinking cause they have no hobbies and cause they're bored.

To me, we're the cool people. :cool: :cool:

jjreason
12-14-2003, 06:22 PM
Sad? Maybe to others, but Im not overly concerned about it. Some people would have a look at this site and think we're out to lunch, but nearly everyone has some money-pit area of interest. Some people can't get enough of tweaking out their cars or computers, some people buy baseball cards you'd have to get a mortgage to afford. We, for the most part, are passionate about a series of movies and the related 14 billion pieces of plastic. Same thing, just channelled differently.

To live life without a passion would be much sadder I think.

Devo
12-14-2003, 07:29 PM
Ok I regret my use of the word 'sad'. I personally don't see it as sad anymore than someone passionate about fishing would see themselves as sad. And Turbowars you imply that I must not enjoy this hobby when in fact that couldn't be more wrong. However we would be perceived as 'sad' by some people. I shouldn't have implied that those people are right, indeed I find myself looking down on people who believe themselves in a position to make those kinds of judgements.

Lately though I've been getting an impression from my mum that she 'worries' about the fact that I still collect toys (the only one opening toys at christmas and I'm not the youngest in my family) and am quite admittedly obsessed with it. A lot of you are in full-time jobs and,judging by the vast armies of figures you build up, you certainly have the resources for the hobby. I get pocket money (third level student). So I suppose she's concerned that so much of that is going on toys and too little on that pesky social life scene.

Now look what you made me go on about by objecting to my use of the word 'sad'-why couldn't you all have just gone along with the joke instead of making me go on the defensive? I don't know what it is but on Spawn.com and now here the main thrusts of my threads (the good humoured bits about remembering the names of fleetingly seen aliens) are passed over in favour of some small detail that people object to-if I could get the smilies to work this is where I'd have a frustrated icon.

Turbowars
12-14-2003, 07:41 PM
Ok I regret my use of the word 'sad'. I personally don't see it as sad anymore than someone passionate about fishing would see themselves as sad. And Turbowars you imply that I must not enjoy this hobby when in fact that couldn't be more wrong. However we would be perceived as 'sad' by some people. I shouldn't have implied that those people are right, indeed I find myself looking down on people who believe themselves in a position to make those kinds of judgements.

Lately though I've been getting an impression from my mum that she 'worries' about the fact that I still collect toys (the only one opening toys at christmas and I'm not the youngest in my family) and am quite admittedly obsessed with it. A lot of you are in full-time jobs and,judging by the vast armies of figures you build up, you certainly have the resources for the hobby. I get pocket money (third level student). So I suppose she's concerned that so much of that is going on toys and too little on that pesky social life scene.

Now look what you made me go on about by objecting to my use of the word 'sad'-why couldn't you all have just gone along with the joke instead of making me go on the defensive? I don't know what it is but on Spawn.com and now here the main thrusts of my threads (the good humoured bits about remembering the names of fleetingly seen aliens) are passed over in favour of some small detail that people object to-if I could get the smilies to work this is where I'd have a frustrated icon.What did you think we were going to do, agree that all our lives are sad? Dude don't worry about your Mum telling you stuff like that. As you know they will be trying to tell you what to do all your life. I'm 28 and I get crap from my parents all the time, but not about SW collecting. They know I enjoy it so they don't care. That's not to say I didn't party when I was in High school. Hell I didn't collect SW until a year or 2 after High school. I had football and girls to deal with. Now it's the wife and SW to worry about, oh and that other thing I do 40+ hours a week, building high rises.:sur:

Devo
12-14-2003, 07:57 PM
Now that you put it that way your reaction is understandable but please try not to focus in on the fact that I stupidly (just look at my sig!!) used the word 'sad', which I've already apologised for and myself rejected. If you could look past that perhaps and have a sense of humour about this hobby we have in common then you'll have gotten to the root of what I meant with this thread. I'm beginning to think I should never again attempt humour in a posting forum as it apparently doesn't translate well in writing.

Actually would anyone happen to know if its possible to edit the title of the thread and an old post so hereafter people will get my meaning which was only good natured I assure you.

bobafrett
12-14-2003, 08:18 PM
I'd take Star Wars collecting over sitting on a bar stool every night until closing time, or spending my money on drugs. Star Wars and collecting it's toys gives me a high, and it's still here for me to enjoy for the rest of my life. Anyway, I really need to get to bed. Got an early day tomorrow.

Turbowars
12-14-2003, 08:22 PM
Now that you put it that way your reaction is understandable but please try not to focus in on the fact that I stupidly (just look at my sig!!) used the word 'sad', which I've already apologised for and myself rejected. If you could look past that perhaps and have a sense of humour about this hobby we have in common then you'll have gotten to the root of what I meant with this thread. I'm beginning to think I should never again attempt humour in a posting forum as it apparently doesn't translate well in writing.

Actually would anyone happen to know if its possible to edit the title of the thread and an old post so hereafter people will get my meaning which was only good natured I assure you.LOL, sense of humor about this hobby, hell I have that. Just as you said "doesn't translate well." People read things differently. You seem to been reading me as I'm POed at you. I'm not, I just responded to your post. That's why you posted, correct? To get a response. Anyways, I do know what you mean about others thinking that we are geeks and "SAD", but one thing I have learned is to not care what others think. Hell I have a room full of SW figures and Tycho has figures in his Kitchen and soon to have a Wampa in the freezer. I can see why some would think we are a little odd, but that's us. Do what you want, say what you want, I don't give a crap. Oh and you have to ask a Mod to change the Thread name.;)

bobafrett
12-14-2003, 08:30 PM
Heck my Star Wars collection is all over my living room, Lego's in my kitchen, as well as framed autographs, posters down the halls, and my bedroom is wall to wall SW toys. My dad saw photos of my collection, and told me my place looks like a toy store. I could care less about what he thinks about me and my collection, because it's what makes me happy.

Turbowars
12-14-2003, 08:38 PM
Heck my Star Wars collection is all over my living room, Lego's in my kitchen, as well as framed autographs, posters down the halls, and my bedroom is wall to wall SW toys. My dad saw photos of my collection, and told me my place looks like a toy store. I could care less about what he thinks about me and my collection, because it's what makes me happy.That's what I'm saying Frett, do what makes you happy, not what your parents try to drill into your head. Now if you don't ever come out of you home and don't come into contact with others, there might be a problem. That was a general note and not directed at you frett.:classic:

Devo
12-14-2003, 08:39 PM
Yes I thought you were POed at me. I'd like to delete my 'aren't we all terribly sad people' remark in my first post as well as edit the title. I was looking for responses but, again, using that 'sad' word seemed to rule out any hope of the kinds of responses I was looking for. My fault.

bobafrett
12-14-2003, 08:44 PM
Hey Turbo, no problem I was just replying about it being "sad", when it isn't. I didn't want to use "sad" as the author of this thread has already explained himself, so I was really just trying to show my excitement, and how much I enjoy collecting. My Dad has always disliked my love for Star Wars. But I have my own place, I work to pay my bill's, anything left over goes to collecting.

Beast
12-14-2003, 08:47 PM
Oh, don't worry. You'd know for sure if we were all PO'd at you. We're just commenting on your thread. And saying that you don't need to ever feel sad as long as your doing something that makes you happy. Hell, I'd rather see all the folks here spending their money collecting toys and stuff. Then seeing them using the same funds to buy drugs or booze. Collecting something can be a stress reliever, as long as it's not MOTU, Batman. Then it's more of a stress multiplier. And in a small way, Star Wars was that way this year. But it's getting better, I'm actually finding stuff again. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Silent Chazz
12-14-2003, 08:59 PM
I know what you mean. I complained here about my Walmart like a week or two ago and now I've found some really good figures there. So now I'm happy.

Devo
12-14-2003, 09:08 PM
Thing is I didn't start this thread out of being worried that people thought I was sad-that was just a silly, idle bit of word use (granted I then structured a complete sentence with it as an apparent 'key' word...sorry). I started it as a reaction to all the other posts I was reading in which all these other like-minded people were listing off wierdly-named characters(most of which I knew) that they wanted to see made into figures. I found that amusing that we've all made it our business to learn off these names of aliens and droids that have split-seconds of screentime. I'm glad I'm not the only one whose into this in such a big way.

I am Jabba the Hutt
12-14-2003, 09:16 PM
I started it as a reaction to all the other posts I was reading in which all these other like-minded people were listing off wierdly-named characters(most of which I knew) that they wanted to see made into figures. I found that amusing that we've all made it our business to learn off these names of aliens and droids that have split-seconds of screentime.

I wouldn't say learning them as such. It's not like studying for a test. It's more a case of, if you read about this stuff as much as we all probably do then you're bound to learn stuff like that. I've learnt the names of many obscure characters mostly from reading posts here on SSG. (hint: read JarJarBinks' posts ;) ) :)

Turbowars
12-14-2003, 09:42 PM
LOL, yeah listen to JJB, you will know.lol Oh and since you can't use the Smilies, you might want to explain yourself a little more. I find the Smilies get my point across when I don't make myself totaly clear. Half the time I'm don't know what I'm talking about anyways. Now don't any of you reply with, "I agree with you Turbo.":speech: ;)

Beast
12-14-2003, 10:14 PM
I agree with you Turbo. :D -- *JJB Runs* :crazed:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

darthzirock
12-14-2003, 10:36 PM
As many of you are probably already aware from my posts in the "How Hard Was It to Find Your Figures" thread, I've been collecting SW figs since 1978. I started as soon as the first ones were released. I was 15 at the time. Well, here we are, 25 years later. I'm 41 now. I have a career as a freelance entertainment writer, and have actually had opportunities to meet and, in some cases, write about several of the actors in the Star Wars films.

When Cinefantastique magazine (RIP founder & publisher Fred Clarke!) did its issue on the "Special Editions" in 1997, I wrote about collecting Star Wars figures as part of that coverage. We got several really nice letters from figure collectors that appreciated their hobby at last being recognized as part of "legitimate" SW fandom.

I don't see Star Wars fandom in general, or action figure collecting in particular, as stranger than many other hobbies that both children and adults sink their hard-earned money into. Of course, you can go to ridiculous extremes in anything you are passionate about--my brother used to follow The Grateful Dead whenever they toured, resulting in gaps on his resume that are quite "interesting."

The thing about Star Wars figure collecting that I really enjoy reading or being told about are families that share their passion for the films. People like me, who were young (well, young-ish) when the OT was first released have gone on to raise children that are also fans of these films. Like sports, gardening, crafts, camping, or any other leisure activity, the best ones can be shared. I enjoy sharing it with others, too, both via forums like these, or by meeting other collectors in toy stores, at sci-fi conventions, or when someone notices the Darth Vader pin on my jacket and says, "Hey, another Star Wars fan!"

Turbowars
12-14-2003, 10:55 PM
I agree with you Turbo. :D -- *JJB Runs* :crazed:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar BinksYou better keep running:mad: ;)

Old Fossil
12-16-2003, 12:28 AM
I get sad when I remember I spent $20 on a Froot Loops Han Solo a few years ago. Other than that, this hobby makes me very happy. lol

arctangent
12-16-2003, 05:03 AM
Thing is I didn't start this thread out of being worried that people thought I was sad-that was just a silly, idle bit of word use (granted I then structured a complete sentence with it as an apparent 'key' word...sorry). I started it as a reaction to all the other posts I was reading in which all these other like-minded people were listing off wierdly-named characters(most of which I knew) that they wanted to see made into figures. I found that amusing that we've all made it our business to learn off these names of aliens and droids that have split-seconds of screentime. I'm glad I'm not the only one whose into this in such a big way.

hey devo, don't let the people on this thread having a go at you get to you. i knew what you meant straight away - not sad as in unhappy, sad as in obesessive anorak wearing geeks! have we all had a sense of humour bypass? i am sure there are lots of people who think i am sad.

like bobafrett, my starwars collection is everywhere in my house. because i have nowhere else to put it until i finish decorating my bedroom, my queen amidala spaceship is sitting in my bath!

i have never cared what people thought of me for the hobbies i choose to like - i am also a heavy metal geek, an x-files geek, a lotr geek, a mcfarlane geek, and am completly obsessed with english soccer (come on you gunners!) to name but a few.

it never hurts to laugh at yourself once in a while.

bobafrett
12-16-2003, 08:00 AM
Arctangent, I notice that like me, you are in your upper 30's. Very cool that you have a house full of collectibles. I see so many poeples houses and they have the standard TV, couch, coffee table matbe a few pictures on the wall but I think as a collector with my toys all over my living room, well it keeps things colorful! My son isn't wild about it, but he doesn't complain either.

arctangent
12-16-2003, 09:56 AM
Arctangent, I notice that like me, you are in your upper 30's. Very cool that you have a house full of collectibles. I see so many poeples houses and they have the standard TV, couch, coffee table matbe a few pictures on the wall but I think as a collector with my toys all over my living room, well it keeps things colorful! My son isn't wild about it, but he doesn't complain either.

i don't have any children myself but i do have a 16 month old nephew, so i have to be careful when he comes to visit - i would hate him to swallow any small parts from my toys but i am sure when he is a bit older he is going to have great fun visiting me!

i collected star wars figures first time round and i remember when the potf first started appearing in the uk in about '95/96 i saw them and though 'wow, they look much better than the old figures. i wish i was eleven again.' and then it struck me - it didn't matter that i wasn't a kid, i could still buy these things if i wanted to and damn what anyone else thinks.

bad move really - they are taking over the house! i may be in my late 30's but there is definately a big kid lurking inside me. certainly my house is very different from most other peoples' that i know so its nice that you are a kindred spirit, bobafrett.

Deoxyribonucleic
12-16-2003, 11:46 AM
let's see....what's REALLY sad is drug dealers, serial killers, murderers, gang violence, Sadam Hussein, the homeless, hungry children, selfishness, ignorance, racism, classism, sexism, drug addicts, dying from an overdose, dying from hunger when there's an abundance of food in this world, illiteracy, child abuse, rape, spousal abuse, elderly abuse...blah blah blah and the list goes on for eternity and all the bad things human beings can do to one another and if for a brief moment I come home to my collection and to my friends who collect on SSG and I feel a general happiness and closeness amongst them...then collecting star wars is WORTH IT and is not a "sad" thing at all even though you recanted the word "sad" darn it!! :crazed: ;)

EDIT: But you were right...your thread has served it's purpose ;)

kool-aid killer
12-16-2003, 08:35 PM
I understand how Bobafrett feels about fathers hating on the collection. My dad usually threatens to throw my stuff out when hes mad at me. Or he gives me looks when i get a package either from ebay or a trade. But i worry not (and he shouldnt either) because its my money, i worked for it, and so i get to determine what i do with it. I think its a perfectly legitimate hobby, no different from hunting, collecting stamps or cards, getting autograpsh from celebrities or whatever floats others boats. I think that people who dont respect it have a lack of imagination.

stillakid
12-17-2003, 12:57 AM
hey devo, don't let the people on this thread having a go at you get to you. i knew what you meant straight away - not sad as in unhappy, sad as in obesessive anorak wearing geeks! have we all had a sense of humour bypass? i am sure there are lots of people who think i am sad.

like bobafrett, my starwars collection is everywhere in my house. because i have nowhere else to put it until i finish decorating my bedroom, my queen amidala spaceship is sitting in my bath!

i have never cared what people thought of me for the hobbies i choose to like - i am also a heavy metal geek, an x-files geek, a lotr geek, a mcfarlane geek, and am completly obsessed with english soccer (come on you gunners!) to name but a few.

it never hurts to laugh at yourself once in a while.

I agree totally. :) Of course there's a double-standard in society wherein sports and other hobbies are "cool" but anything sci-fi is "geeky." In that light, a 30-ish year old collecting Star Wars toys appears rather "sad" to the outside world. You either embrace it, deny it, or accept it and give it up. But whatever the case, laugh a little. Since we all die eventually anyway, collecting anything at all seems a bit "sad." Afterall, you can't take it with you. :)

plasticfetish
12-17-2003, 01:36 AM
please try not to focus in on the fact that I ... used the word 'sad' ... If you could look past that perhaps and have a sense of humour about this hobby we have in common then you'll have gotten to the root of what I meant with this thread.
So ... it's because you're from Ireland and because English isn't your native language that you said "sad" when you really meant "silly?"

OK ... now I'm kidding. Seriously!

BTW ... I really hate smilies myself DEVO, and I try to avoid using them, so don't get all hung up on their importance. :D :p :eek: :beard: :speech:

What is the new "beard" smilie all about anyway?

OK. But ya' know ... I understood what you were getting at in the first place. It's a silly hobby ... most hobbies are kind of silly. That's really the whole point to something like this. I collect toys, along with a lot of other useless things, because I like what they're about. They're tools first and foremost. They're tools designed to encourage play, to inspire creativity and to help children to develop their minds to where they are better/best equipped to handle the stresses of the real and "grown-up" world. That's what I love about them. (About the good ones anyway.) That they can be so silly and in many ways insignificant, but can serve such an important purpose. I love that a little piece of plastic shaped like some weird alien or funky robot can become so important to a person that decades later, whenever they look at it, they instantly remember how much fun it once was. They remember how much easier it was to simply have fun as a kid also.

I recently had a b-day party for my son here at our house. One of the parents, a dad, wandered into our kitchen where we've got a couple of the old Shogun Warriors robots standing up in the window. The guy looked at them and went all glassy eyed talking about how he used to have one of them and really loved playing with it. I almost told him that he could shoot a few of the missiles at the cat if he wanted to.

(And BTW ... to those of you that are still technically "kids", don't be in such a big hurry to leave all of it behind, and try not to forget what it's all about ... it'll make raising your own kids a whole lot easier someday.)

There's plenty of people out there that collect silly things or are obsessed with nutty stories, themes ... movies, books, whatever. I suppose you can rest assured that no matter how much they paid for that favorite "item" in their collection, that they did it for the same reason you do it. Because they love what the toy stands for and because they think it's fun.

And yeah, you're right ... we're all pretty much dorks and this is a silly hobby.

arctangent
12-17-2003, 03:46 AM
And yeah, you're right ... we're all pretty much dorks and this is a silly hobby.

well said mr fetish! and stillakid's right too. you have to laugh - life's too short not too.

Jargo
12-17-2003, 05:25 AM
Weeeeeell, I'm currently not favouring my star wars collection because I've switched to collecting Pallisades Muppet figures and playsets. Some might think that's a bit girly and sissy, some might get off on the nostalgia when they see a certain character. My Mother thought I was insane when I began collecting toys. My G.I.JOE collection was immense and my star wars collection immenser ;) In fact nearly everyone i knew thought i was completely barking mad to still be collecting toys and some did indeed call me a sad individual for doing so. But being a tru individual i just let it slide like water off a ducks back and carried on doing what i was doing and thinking to myself that at least i had something to show for my money instead of peeing it all up the wall going out every night to bars and clubs. But you see thattoo is a subjective opinion. It isn't what other people think that matters it's the relative enjoyment you as a person attain from your pastimes that matters. Those people in bars and clubs are enjoyiong themselves in their way and I'm enjoying myself in my way only without the sclerosis of the liver and impending kidney failure and deafness or tinitus from over exposure to insane sound system decibel levels.

I have on occasion thought to myself "what the hell are you doing with all this cruddy plastic crap?" when i think of what i could spent the many thousands of 's on instead. I could have paid for an expensive designer label closet full of clothes. vacations, private lap dancers, cars, a Philipino house boy or three, cosmetic surgery, diamonds and bling. But instead i chose to spend a large proprtion of my income on little plastic effigies of people in silly costumes and masks, little plastic spaceships and bizarre creatures - all dust collectors and in and of themselves quite useless mostly.

But in some backwards twisted and messed up way it's brought me many hours of quiet contentment to see all those dusty figures on the shelves. To go out and hunt stuff, to find bargains and do deals to obtain exclusives and the POTJ stuff during the great drought here in the UK.

It's a quiet hobby, it hurts no-one and allows for lots of thinking time. I'm 35 going on 9 and I don't have a social life because I can't afford one. But what i do have is one hell of a collection, a loving and understanding partner who lets me collect but keeps a watchful eye on my purchasing to make sure i don't get stung, does all my paperwork for me and reminds me constantly how much I've spent to keep me out of debt. Perhaps my life is a tad too 'vanilla' for some of you young guys. I'm just a boring thirty something guy stuck in a time warp from my childhood. Better that I'm safely tucked away indoors with plastic figures than out in the clubs being the out of fashion idiot on the dancefloor trying to eye up the hotties and frightening the kids.

But really, in all honesty, if I'm perfectly frank - I totally need to get out more!

arctangent
12-17-2003, 06:19 AM
Weeeeeell, I'm currently not favouring my star wars collection because I've switched to collecting Pallisades Muppet figures and playsets. Some might think that's a bit girly and sissy

no way, muppets are cool! especially dr. bunsen and beaker! and the swedish chef!

My Mother thought I was insane when I began collecting toys.

mine too. she still does.

vacations, private lap dancers, cars, a Philipino house boy or three, cosmetic surgery, diamonds and bling.

er, can you remind me why we collect toys again? you mean i could have had all that if i hadn't spent a fortune on bits of plastic? damn!

But in some backwards twisted and messed up way it's brought me many hours of quiet contentment to see all those dusty figures on the shelves. To go out and hunt stuff, to find bargains and do deals to obtain exclusives and the POTJ stuff during the great drought here in the UK.

ah yes, those were the days, when nothing was released over here and you really had to work to find a figure. i remember lusting after garinden and searching for him for months. when i eventually found him i nearly fainted with excitement and was happy to pay well over the odds for him. oh sweet joy!

But really, in all honesty, if I'm perfectly frank - I totally need to get out more!

i don't know emperor jargo, i am not sure the world is ready for you to be unleashed on it yet!

Jargo
12-17-2003, 07:35 AM
hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!! :D

Yes, perhaps you're right. BTW my name is capitalised all the way through. I'm THAT self important. ;)

arctangent
12-17-2003, 08:59 AM
hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!! :D

Yes, perhaps you're right. BTW my name is capitalised all the way through. I'm THAT self important. ;)

sorry emperor jargo - i am that lazy, i can never be bothered to press the shift key. i hope you can find it in your cold emperor's heart to forgive me.

stillakid
12-17-2003, 10:19 AM
I could have paid for ... vacations, private lap dancers, ... a Philipino house boy or three, ... - all dust collectors and in and of themselves quite useless mostly.

Dusty? :confused:

;)

Turbowars
12-17-2003, 06:34 PM
Oh wow you guys are all correct. I totaly agree with you all.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-19-2003, 10:54 PM
Devo, I see your point. I think most of us, at one time or another, have questioned the fact that as adults, why do we flock to toy shops, sometimes on a daily basis, looking for little tiny plastic figurines that are meant for children. I know I do constantly, and there have been two periods during my collecting phase which started 9 years ago (or so) where I went cold turkey, one lasting over 2 years.

Why do I spend a good chunk of my meagerly income on them?

Why I am do I keep many of my purchases in the box it came in?

Why I am so happy getting a figure when chances are it will be relegated to a storage bin, in my basement, where no one except a few spiders and dust mites can look at it?

Is it worth getting all the figures in a line when there are many rehashed characters, ones I already have?

Then I read reports of people, like Steve Sansweet or had to build an addition of 2 floors to his house, just so he could fit his collection. That is why people like my brother see us a bunch of mostly crazy, spaced-out losers.

Despite all of the above, there is one thing that makes us what we are as collectors and that is an appreciation. Star Wars has been engrained in our culture and has had an impact on many of us. It has touched some of our lives so much that we seek out fellow fans and chat (thank you SirSteves). We collect the toys, we buy the VHS and DVDs and watch them inside up. We quote from the movies in our sleep. A little obsessive yes, and we do go overboard at times, but this is our passion and it is hard to let go of it.

Devo
12-20-2003, 10:27 PM
I tried replying to this the other night via the 'saga' forum where this thread is still listed but as having been 'moved' and my response couldn't be added. I had typed a huge post and after the frustration of first having been asked to log in for the second time, only then to be told that 'this thread is not accepting new posts', I didn't have the presence of mind to save my post and I just went to bed.

I see that a lot of people directly referred to me and ordinarily I'd respond to each but theres a few too many for that to take any less than an hour - an hour that I could spend browsing for porn. lol ........shock horror my smilies are working tonight, how odd.

It looks like my point got the acknowledgment it sought once the initial unanticipated hurdle was overtaken (everyone taking exception to the word 'sad'). Of course its not really 'my' point so much as 'a' point, I'm not the first person to use humour and self-mocking as a kind of pre-emptive defence against those who would smite us down.

I read all the responses but for convenience-sake I'm just going to refer to posts I can see without clicking back or forward or whatever.

Lowly Bantha, fair play to you for managing to do without for two years, I haven't been in to the shop since the end of November and I shudder to think that I'm probably missing out on the new OT ultra figures. I've got the Shuttle for Christmas and I wish I had the dignitaries to go with it...they've probably been and gone.

Virtually every week, before my holidays started on the 6th, I was going into the Dublin city centre after college buying new stuff. Hilarious really, the way I march down through the crowds with determination and purpose. I'm a man on a mission, a noble quest from which I will not be distracted by annoying street sellers, charities and bible-toting fundamentalists. People clear me a path as they see me, my mere 5 foot 8 frame betraying an ability to walk at breakneck pace, once my mind is set on something that is ...a mission to purchase small, overpriced plastic figures. Anyway some weeks I'd see more than I could afford and just bought what I could and went back in the same week after getting more money - this usually ruled out going to the pub at the weekend. And thats what my mum had been worrying about. Understandable perhaps but she annoys me - she seems now to insist that I show her whenever I buy something new - not because she is interested in what I've bought but so she can keep check on my addiction and perhaps for future referance so she can lay on a guilt-trip of sorts. It wouldn't bother me only I've never seen her chasing my brothers around wanting to know whenever they spend money on 'non-essentials'. She asks 'why do you smuggle this stuff in?' Well mummy because you seem to disapprove and because you have no wish to appraise the toy I have bought, your motive is only to use this against me at some future time, why in gods name would I want to show you what I've bought. Of course I can't be totally justified in criticising my mum given that she has financed so much of my collection and was always generous whenever she accompanied me into the shop. Enough on that.

Oh and PlasticFetish, I am indeed Irish but english is my first language as it is for most of us on this island now. I barely speak any Irish, uncultured as I am. And I will only use it in this posting forum if threatened :D . In Ireland we use the word 'sad' not only to mean 'depressed' or 'unhappy' but also 'silly' or 'pathetic'. I meant it to be interpreted more as 'silly' only I wouldn't have been content to use that word as its fairly crap and underwhelming. It reminds of pre-teen days when if one called one's enemy a 'silly-billy' then one mistakenly supposed that a morale-crippling blow had been meted out. I'm just not partial to the word.

Now back to the porn.....whats that you say? people who look up porn are sad? Now wait just a moment- :mad: lol

Turbowars
12-20-2003, 11:51 PM
I'll tell you what is sad, getting a virus. Those porn sites are covered with them. At least that's what I'm told.;)

bobafrett
12-20-2003, 11:57 PM
Not just a virus, but lots of spyware! That's why I downloaded SpyBot Search and Destroy, not that I would need it for any reason. I'm into the Donny and Marie Osmand Website, nothing but pure wholesome entertainment.

Turbowars
12-20-2003, 11:59 PM
Not just a virus, but lots of spyware! That's why I downloaded SpyBot Search and Destroy, not that I would need it for any reason. I'm into the Donny and Marie Osmand Website, nothing but pure wholesome entertainment.Oh no, I didn't think for a second you would view porn. SW and porn don't mix.:cool:

plasticfetish
12-21-2003, 04:33 AM
... when if one called one's enemy a 'silly-billy' ...
Yeah, OK ... point well taken. "Silly-billy" is sad.

As far as your Mom and her wanting to peep in the bag to see what you've brought home goes ... next time tell her it's only a bottle of ether, some dirty mags, two pints of hard cider and the severed head from one of your latest victims. She could look, but it's only gonna make her an accomplice and it might give her the creeps. Then tell her to stay out of your room 'cause ... well, you know, if two heads are better than one, then five or six is great huh?!? (At this point laugh really loud, then close your eyes and sing "twinkle-twinkle little star.") Before you wander off to your room, give her a hug and say, "I love you mommy."

Mmmm. If she has no sense of humor you might want to leave out the part about the dirty mags. :D :stupid: :p ;) :kiss: :beard:

Devo
12-21-2003, 01:18 PM
Mmmm. If she has no sense of humor you might want to leave out the part about the dirty mags. :D :stupid: :p ;) :kiss: :beard:

Actually porn mags can be left strewn across my bedroom floor or even left in the bathroom as 'bogside reading' in my house. My younger brother (15) has already been corrupted by the hardest-of-core porn for the soft mags to do any harm.....what!? :nerv: :sur: I didn't provide directions, he found it entirely on his own initiative! I put folders within folders, changed the folder icons, gave them inconspicuous names, how was I to know he'd be able to anticipate these measures? Would your suspicions be aroused by a folder called "Andrew's college essays"? Even if you delved in there would your attention be drawn by subfolder "archaeology.1"? Well OK assuming you did find that interesting you'd have found further subfolders called "its porn!!" and "the good stuff's in here"....but really. How was I to know? Anyway I see no point in even trying to relocate my archives now, whats done is done. No one's sensibilities are harmed therefore by PLAYBOY special editions in plain sight.

Oh what an intriguing turn this thread has taken. By the way no viruses so far. Consequence-free browsing for now.

arctangent
12-22-2003, 04:51 AM
little tiny plastic figurines that are meant for children.

what do you mean, meant for children? you mean they are not made for us? damn!

Tycho
12-26-2003, 03:40 PM
OK, as Turbowars pointed out, I have way too many figures all over the place, and I don't plan to stop or "live normally."

So if no one complains, I'll appoint myself 'DER UBERNERD" here, and then proceed.

As Der UberNerd, I feel I'm qualified to give advice to a youngster in our hobby here.

1) COLLECTORS UNDER AGE of 24, this includes all high schoolers here, DO NOT COMPARE YOURSELVES TO OLDER COLLECTORS HERE. Even though I'm not into my 30's yet, there is a big income difference between those who are living on allowances or part-time budgets while in college, than those of us who've graduated with degrees and are working professionally. All us older guys may be cool, or we maybe geeks the Ugly-Lord has even rejected as distasteful. People on the internet do not matter even half as much as people you can have in your real life: they feed your confidence and your ability to interact with others - essential to achieving employment or establishing a business for yourself, and they can offer us what only girlfriends (boyfriends) can offer in personal companionship and partnership, etc. Competing with people online to collect as many toys as they 'supposedly do,' (that is keeping up with the Jones, and so on) is psychologically crazy. I mean think about it. Even I could be lying. I might not own 1 Star Wars figure, and SirSteve just pays me because he thinks I'm a good writer, and I might inspire you. That'd be great for us if we really all secretly had contracts with Hasbro's marketing team to keep you excited about new products and all. And here I may have others worried they need to army build their Republic Forces like I do, and set up scenes in their refrigerators...heheheheh. What I'm saying is "Who cares what I or somebody else does online?" - even if we post pictures, etc. Your life happens in front of your face, not through some wires through to a master server and back out to a portal-hub, and out through a DSL feed.

2) YOU NEVER HAVE TO "GROW UP" - I have not changed since I was 4 years old (in tastes for Star Wars toys anyway). Becoming an adult means you can take care of yourself, and be financially independent - the more cash you can generate, the more freedom you have to buy anything you want, do anything you want, etc. When you can afford to get or do anything you want, and you can sustain that through some source of income you've established for yourself, you truly are an adult (if you're taking responsiblity for all your actions, their consequences, any children you've brought into this world, etc.) What you spend your money on is your business. I don't care if you collect Q-tips. That's weird, but it's your business. But in my line of work, I teach people how to be financially independent. That can take years, but one of the first things you youngsters should do is to start diviying up your money into something FUN: a budget for your WANTS.

3) HOW TO BUDGET FOR YOUR WANTS

List them.

Here's mine:

a) Emergency "date" fund. You have problems if you don't even ask a girl you like out, because you can't afford to, but you have loads of plastic toys at home - a heap which you're saving money or planning to spend your next available dollar to add to. Don't put a social life on hold!

$200 - try and work or save allowance money, or something, to accumulate two hundred bucks and then cash it out, hide it where only you know where it is, in cash, and promise yourself you won't touch it unless you have the date of your dreams. Then you can treat her to a dinner and movies (approx. $38 dollars at the cheapest) and if your night is going well, move on to spending more, or having a reserve to ask her out again - knowing you CAN afford it. There's a whole nother discussion about what she should pay for, when, and so forth, so you're not getting used, but that's not going to get you through the door, so you need a fund to start with. REPLACE ANY MONEY YOU SPEND FROM THIS FUND AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, SO THERE IS ALWAYS $200. That amount should get you into Disneyland for 2, and/or a cheap motel room if you need it. That is part of the adventure of living - not going to Toys R Us (unless they have a store in Iraq).

b) Star Wars fund - if you collect any other kinds of action figures, Hot Wheels, or whatever, it doesn't belong in this fund. Neither does Star Wars comics or books, or video games, or anything else not regularly released. (Though by checking websites, you can schedule and budget for these purchases).

Make 3 lists:

i) what you see rumored for 2004
ii) what you see Hasbro or a reliable site like SSG CONFIRM for 2004
iii) what you see finished product pictures of - best indicator they get made

At $5 a figure, $21 for 12", $20 for most vehicles, etc. add to your 3 lists to generate:

i) worst case scenerio
ii) probable target goal to fund
iii) definite revenue requirement

KNOCK OFF VARIATION HUNTING, AS WELL AS BEING A COMPLETIST.

Han Solo never wore an AT-ST Driver uniform - just the helmet. There wasn't time. The figure is crap. Why do you need it if you can't afford to go out on a date or to make REAL friends? You don't need it. I can afford it and I'm not even buying it. Nor all the resculpts. They will make Lando, Luke, etc. every year for as long as they make figures. Unless if they make new movies, all of them will be resculpts so new people can get these characters - or they will be re-releases on new cards - not true variations. You need a life, not this worthless stuff. IT IS NOT AN INVESTMENT AND NEW FIGURES ARE NOT WORTH MONEY. Please believe me. And don't justify it that way to your friends who don't collect. Just stand up for yourself and tell them you buy them because you like them. You don't have to explain it. Heck, I'm not sure I could. But make yourself happy. What they won't understand is why you can't hang out with them because you're saving money to find a Concept Sketchtrooper which even a lot of Star Wars fans would tell you isn't worth it!

My annual Star Wars budget is about $1500 per year. I army build. You probably cannot afford to do that, so don't try. (BTW-even with army building, my Worst Case Scenerio for 2004 has not gone over $1,000 yet).

In any case, I spread my money around. Hasbro and our favorite retailers will not get all this stuff in all at once.

I divide my planned SW budget into thirds: $500 + $500 + $500.

I only try and fund 1/3 of it before I move on to funding another "sector" before I'll return to funding Star Wars.

Think about it:

WAVE 1: HOTH

$5 Luke
$5 Soldier
$5 R-3P0
$5 Kren Dignitary
$5 Ack Med Beq

$10 Wampa
$10 C-3PO
$10 Rieekan

WAVE 2: TATOOINE

$5 Luke
$5 R1G4
$5 Bar2-D2

WAVE 3: JABBAS

$5 Lando
$5 Luke Holo
$5 Rappertunnie
$5 Whipid

$10 Jabba The Hutt
$10 B'Omarr, Bubo, Silme thing (if you really need this :rolleyes: )

WAVE 4: YAVIN

$5 Antilles
$5 Dodanna
$5 TIE Pilot (don't buy this. You should have one with a fighter, or more)
$5 Gold Leader
$5 Elom (from Jabbas - put in this case though)

This is all about $160, and is also all that is expected to ship through the 1st THIRD of the year (sort of) - plus you might have some of this stuff early, from things Hasbro rushed out before X-mas that were marked 2004 - like the Luke Hoth wave. What? Do you think the next time they stock after X-mas they'll have whipids? No. Luke Hoth didn't nearly get out there as much as say Durge, Ventress, CW wave 2, etc. That's the quantity of figures they have to produce and sell to make $$.

If you just collect, I'd say a young Star Wars collector is safe at around $500 a year, or to be sure, say $700 a non-movie year ($1,000+ maybe in a movie year?)

Let's take $700 though. 1/3 of $700 is $233. Let's just call it $200 even though.

PUT ASIDE $200 IN CASH IN A SPECIAL SECTION OF YOUR WALLET AND ONLY USE IT FOR STAR WARS - AND ONLY USE IT FOR STAR WARS ON YOUR LIST. If you want extra clones, add them to your list now, and determine what they'll cost you. Also determine what you're not going to buy (TIE Pilot, whatever) and don't change your mind about it after you write your budget. NOTE IN YOUR BUDGET THAT YOUR FIRST TRIMESTER OF STAR WARS IS FUNDED FOR $200 - MOVE ON WITH YOUR SAVINGS TO OTHER 'WANTS.'

c) New clothes fund. Clothes cost a lot, but dressing well attracts others to you, helps you look good for job interviews, and changes the way people perceive you and treat you. It's a fact in life some people with noserings etc. try to rebel against, because it's not a nice "truth" in life, but the real truth is that it's better to get more things you want, than to have people know you're angry about "the way society is" or think you're a freak. **** body piercing, tattoos, and dressing like you're living in a punk band. It's better to get money than to get a statement across. As far as growing up is concerned, that's part of it. Trust those of us that learn this, and benefit from getting that knowledge early. I was a long-haired rocker in high school (and a varsity baseball player, and an honors-student) because I liked the irony in it all. I liked to shock people and challenge stereotypes, make them realize the unexpected, etc. But instead of living your life to make impressions on other people and how they think of you, make an impact on getting what you want:

- what they don't know about your attitude will give them less reason to distrust you, more reason to trust you. This is handy at getting girls, jobs, and teachers to give you a chance to retake that test, or turn in your paper late, still for full-credit. You don't limit yourself on what anybody else thinks of you. You get what you want instead. Don't you think better of yourself if you're getting what you want anyway?

- now you've discovered how to make an impact on what YOU think about you.

So budget to keep a good image up and take care of yourself.

$1000 for clothes - what I spend is only about $3,000 myself, but business suits cost a bit more, and I have my clothes tailored so they fit just right. In any case, clothing costs more than Star Wars toys, so your budget for clothes and accessories should be about twice what it is for Star Wars.

I DON'T CARE IF 'MOM' TAKES YOU CLOTHES SHOPPING. YOU CAN GET MORE IF YOU ADD ON TO WHAT SHE BUYS YOU, AND "MORE IS BETTER."

Again, divide this money in THIRDS or close... 1/3 of $1000, is $333, but make it $300 even.

So now:

1) set aside $200 for dating, school dance (with a date) whatever
2) set aside, then spend $200 on Star Wars (on items on your list ONLY!)
3) set aside, then spend $200 on new clothes (get bargains at sales)

d) Roadtrip fund

$300 to get you to the nearest amusement park (like Disneyland) or get tickets to a rock concert if Metallica or Linkin Park is coming to town, whatever.

Doesn't cost THAT much? Take a friend. This can be a date, or a good buddy.

Is it worth it? Are you being used? No. It is nice to give to others. Even if you are doing this for your own reward - getting a girlfriend or something, if the person is truly worth your while, eventually, when they can, they will do something for you, or you can take somebody else the next time (but don't threaten them with that. Let them decide on their own. You just leave them with the impression that you're a really nice guy.)

What do you get out of it? I love going to the zoo, or visiting a museum and climbing aboard a captured enemy submarine, or anything to do with rollercoasters. I have 3 choices:

i) go by myself - boring, lonely, and possibly dangerous
ii) wait for some friend to be able to afford to pay their own way - but is being bored at home waiting to go somewhere any better?
iii) taking a friend so I go when I want, where I want, with who I want, and I am in control.

Which is better?

For this one, you might want $900 a year in this category, which means you can do wherever you want approximately 3-4 times a year - or just save money for emergencies or next years' funds if you don't.

However, now you have:

4) set aside $300 for roadtrips, concerts, conventions, etc. and save it for that.

During this time, if you have had dates, keep replenishing your date fund.

The above recipe hinges on whether you can save, accumulate in gifts or allowance, or go out and earn $700. Mowing your neighbor's lawn for $10 once a week would earn you $160 in 4 months. When I was 12 I was doing most of my neighbors' yards for them. To make close to $700, you only need to do 4 yards, 1 per day. Less than a 5-day work week for you youngsters. wash somebody's car a few times for the difference to get $700.

If you have a minimum wage job because you are over 15 years old, or you're in college already, I shouldn't hear you complaining. Sure you have bills, but this plan will teach you NOT to spend on your credit cards. Be in the black (money spent and not owed) but you can incorporate a pay-down plan into this plan which (if you are not charging anything ever again) can actually be FUN because you are still getting a lot of what you want WHEN you want it, right?

Now, by April-May of 2004:

5) whether or not you've found $200 worth of Star Wars, start saving your next $200 or more for exclusively Star Wars.
6) Add more to your clothing budget by $200 next.
7) Add again to your roadtrip budget again after that.

OTHER THINGS TO CONSIDER:

VERY IMPORTANT: Figure out an amount to spend on going out with friends. Do this by tracking arcade games you play, the costs at the bowling alley or batting cages, how much you smoke, drink, pay in night club cover charges, etc. Move that into the first priority slot, before even your date fund. You won't find someone to date if you don't go out and do things in the first place, right? Now consider what it really costs you to smoke and drink. Quit. Add that money to your fun budget. Rob Zombie Concert with Hotel Room or 4 months worth of cigarettes? Take pictures of yourself smoking and post them if you really think anybody thinks that's so great. Use the money for a gym membership if you feel fatigued or weird if you're nicotine addicted. Do you know how many hot chicks there are at the gym? You can get lucky going there on Friday night instead of to a bar. Trust me.

Now your friends won't laugh at your Star Wars hobby because you'll be always able to go out and do things, dressed well, and even afford to take them to a concert or a park, and you won't be home crying that you can't go anywhere because you can't scrounge $5 to afford the Jedi Luke Skywalker.

BALANCE YOUR FRIGGIN LIVES! THAT'S THE MESSAGE.

Then there's nothing sad about being a Star Wars collector.

And those of you without careers that make more than minimum wage - add to your plan a plan to pay (and succeed at) getting a better education or furthering your job skill training so you can make more. Minimum wage is not how to marry and support a family. Don't say "forget that" just because you can't afford it. Say "forget it" when you CAN afford it and can make a choice.

And you family guys - your family comes first. Sorry if you started one before you got your financial freedom in order, but that's the choices you've made. To me, condoms are worth more than Star Wars figures - one of them at the right time is actually worth more than ALL your Star Wars figures. $10,000 a year - that's the cost of each child added to your household. Add that to your income, or subtract that from what you spend on yourself. Most non-adults get divorced over that when they can't cope with it any more. Well, you'll still have to pay for it and not gain any financial freedom, as I fully support and hope that dead-beat dads will be DNA identified, caught, fined, and jailed. I'm not saying stay in a bad relationship, but your wives are your partners in getting out of any holes some of you might be in. Ask them for your help the same way you asked them for their hand in marriage. That should've been the idea back then, and it needs to be the adult idea now.

Finally, to all of you collecting other toy lines:

LORD OF THE RINGS
HOT WHEELS
MCFARLANE SPORTS
TOY BIZ SUPER HEROES
GI Joes

whatever....

sports cards, relics from Nazi Germany, etc. etc.

Budget for it independently, and fund it in portions as it fits into your FUN priorities above. Spread them out so you get a plan together for all, or at least some, out of every category you want to live and experience satisfaction in.

That is the Balance in the Force.

This has been a special message brought to you by your UberNerd who might not be such a nerd after all.... (maybe)

stillakid
12-26-2003, 04:25 PM
OK, as Turbowars pointed out, I have way too many figures all over the place, and I don't plan to stop or "live normally."

So if no one complains, I'll appoint myself 'DER UBERNERD" here, and then proceed.

As Der UberNerd, I feel I'm qualified to give advice to a youngster in our hobby here.

1) COLLECTORS UNDER AGE of 24, this includes all high schoolers here, DO NOT COMPARE YOURSELVES TO OLDER COLLECTORS HERE. Even though I'm not into my 30's yet, there is a big income difference between those who are living on allowances or part-time budgets while in college, than those of us who've graduated with degrees and are working professionally. All us older guys may be cool, or we maybe geeks the Ugly-Lord has even rejected as distasteful. People on the internet do not matter even half as much as people you can have in your real life: they feed your confidence and your ability to interact with others - essential to achieving employment or establishing a business for yourself, and they can offer us what only girlfriends (boyfriends) can offer in personal companionship and partnership, etc. Competing with people online to collect as many toys as they 'supposedly do,' (that is keeping up with the Jones, and so on) is psychologically crazy. I mean think about it. Even I could be lying. I might not own 1 Star Wars figure, and SirSteve just pays me because he thinks I'm a good writer, and I might inspire you. That'd be great for us if we really all secretly had contracts with Hasbro's marketing team to keep you excited about new products and all. And here I may have others worried they need to army build their Republic Forces like I do, and set up scenes in their refrigerators...heheheheh. What I'm saying is "Who cares what I or somebody else does online?" - even if we post pictures, etc. Your life happens in front of your face, not through some wires through to a master server and back out to a portal-hub, and out through a DSL feed.

2) YOU NEVER HAVE TO "GROW UP" - I have not changed since I was 4 years old (in tastes for Star Wars toys anyway). Becoming an adult means you can take care of yourself, and be financially independent - the more cash you can generate, the more freedom you have to buy anything you want, do anything you want, etc. When you can afford to get or do anything you want, and you can sustain that through some source of income you've established for yourself, you truly are an adult (if you're taking responsiblity for all your actions, their consequences, any children you've brought into this world, etc.) What you spend your money on is your business. I don't care if you collect Q-tips. That's weird, but it's your business. But in my line of work, I teach people how to be financially independent. That can take years, but one of the first things you youngsters should do is to start diviying up your money into something FUN: a budget for your WANTS.

3) HOW TO BUDGET FOR YOUR WANTS

List them.

Here's mine:

a) Emergency "date" fund. You have problems if you don't even ask a girl you like out, because you can't afford to, but you have loads of plastic toys at home - a heap which you're saving money or planning to spend your next available dollar to add to. Don't put a social life on hold!

$200 - try and work or save allowance money, or something, to accumulate two hundred bucks and then cash it out, hide it where only you know where it is, in cash, and promise yourself you won't touch it unless you have the date of your dreams. Then you can treat her to a dinner and movies (approx. $38 dollars at the cheapest) and if your night is going well, move on to spending more, or having a reserve to ask her out again - knowing you CAN afford it. There's a whole nother discussion about what she should pay for, when, and so forth, so you're not getting used, but that's not going to get you through the door, so you need a fund to start with. REPLACE ANY MONEY YOU SPEND FROM THIS FUND AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, SO THERE IS ALWAYS $200. That amount should get you into Disneyland for 2, and/or a cheap motel room if you need it. That is part of the adventure of living - not going to Toys R Us (unless they have a store in Iraq).

b) Star Wars fund - if you collect any other kinds of action figures, Hot Wheels, or whatever, it doesn't belong in this fund. Neither does Star Wars comics or books, or video games, or anything else not regularly released. (Though by checking websites, you can schedule and budget for these purchases).

Make 3 lists:

i) what you see rumored for 2004
ii) what you see Hasbro or a reliable site like SSG CONFIRM for 2004
iii) what you see finished product pictures of - best indicator they get made

At $5 a figure, $21 for 12", $20 for most vehicles, etc. add to your 3 lists to generate:

i) worst case scenerio
ii) probable target goal to fund
iii) definite revenue requirement

KNOCK OFF VARIATION HUNTING, AS WELL AS BEING A COMPLETIST.

Han Solo never wore an AT-ST Driver uniform - just the helmet. There wasn't time. The figure is crap. Why do you need it if you can't afford to go out on a date or to make REAL friends? You don't need it. I can afford it and I'm not even buying it. Nor all the resculpts. They will make Lando, Luke, etc. every year for as long as they make figures. Unless if they make new movies, all of them will be resculpts so new people can get these characters - or they will be re-releases on new cards - not true variations. You need a life, not this worthless stuff. IT IS NOT AN INVESTMENT AND NEW FIGURES ARE NOT WORTH MONEY. Please believe me. And don't justify it that way to your friends who don't collect. Just stand up for yourself and tell them you buy them because you like them. You don't have to explain it. Heck, I'm not sure I could. But make yourself happy. What they won't understand is why you can't hang out with them because you're saving money to find a Concept Sketchtrooper which even a lot of Star Wars fans would tell you isn't worth it!

My annual Star Wars budget is about $1500 per year. I army build. You probably cannot afford to do that, so don't try. (BTW-even with army building, my Worst Case Scenerio for 2004 has not gone over $1,000 yet).

In any case, I spread my money around. Hasbro and our favorite retailers will not get all this stuff in all at once.

I divide my planned SW budget into thirds: $500 + $500 + $500.

I only try and fund 1/3 of it before I move on to funding another "sector" before I'll return to funding Star Wars.

Think about it:

WAVE 1: HOTH

$5 Luke
$5 Soldier
$5 R-3P0
$5 Kren Dignitary
$5 Ack Med Beq

$10 Wampa
$10 C-3PO
$10 Rieekan

WAVE 2: TATOOINE

$5 Luke
$5 R1G4
$5 Bar2-D2

WAVE 3: JABBAS

$5 Lando
$5 Luke Holo
$5 Rappertunnie
$5 Whipid

$10 Jabba The Hutt
$10 B'Omarr, Bubo, Silme thing (if you really need this :rolleyes: )

WAVE 4: YAVIN

$5 Antilles
$5 Dodanna
$5 TIE Pilot (don't buy this. You should have one with a fighter, or more)
$5 Gold Leader
$5 Elom (from Jabbas - put in this case though)

This is all about $160, and is also all that is expected to ship through the 1st THIRD of the year (sort of) - plus you might have some of this stuff early, from things Hasbro rushed out before X-mas that were marked 2004 - like the Luke Hoth wave. What? Do you think the next time they stock after X-mas they'll have whipids? No. Luke Hoth didn't nearly get out there as much as say Durge, Ventress, CW wave 2, etc. That's the quantity of figures they have to produce and sell to make $$.

If you just collect, I'd say a young Star Wars collector is safe at around $500 a year, or to be sure, say $700 a non-movie year ($1,000+ maybe in a movie year?)

Let's take $700 though. 1/3 of $700 is $233. Let's just call it $200 even though.

PUT ASIDE $200 IN CASH IN A SPECIAL SECTION OF YOUR WALLET AND ONLY USE IT FOR STAR WARS - AND ONLY USE IT FOR STAR WARS ON YOUR LIST. If you want extra clones, add them to your list now, and determine what they'll cost you. Also determine what you're not going to buy (TIE Pilot, whatever) and don't change your mind about it after you write your budget. NOTE IN YOUR BUDGET THAT YOUR FIRST TRIMESTER OF STAR WARS IS FUNDED FOR $200 - MOVE ON WITH YOUR SAVINGS TO OTHER 'WANTS.'

c) New clothes fund. Clothes cost a lot, but dressing well attracts others to you, helps you look good for job interviews, and changes the way people perceive you and treat you. It's a fact in life some people with noserings etc. try to rebel against, because it's not a nice "truth" in life, but the real truth is that it's better to get more things you want, than to have people know you're angry about "the way society is" or think you're a freak. **** body piercing, tattoos, and dressing like you're living in a punk band. It's better to get money than to get a statement across. As far as growing up is concerned, that's part of it. Trust those of us that learn this, and benefit from getting that knowledge early. I was a long-haired rocker in high school (and a varsity baseball player, and an honors-student) because I liked the irony in it all. I liked to shock people and challenge stereotypes, make them realize the unexpected, etc. But instead of living your life to make impressions on other people and how they think of you, make an impact on getting what you want:

- what they don't know about your attitude will give them less reason to distrust you, more reason to trust you. This is handy at getting girls, jobs, and teachers to give you a chance to retake that test, or turn in your paper late, still for full-credit. You don't limit yourself on what anybody else thinks of you. You get what you want instead. Don't you think better of yourself if you're getting what you want anyway?

- now you've discovered how to make an impact on what YOU think about you.

So budget to keep a good image up and take care of yourself.

$1000 for clothes - what I spend is only about $3,000 myself, but business suits cost a bit more, and I have my clothes tailored so they fit just right. In any case, clothing costs more than Star Wars toys, so your budget for clothes and accessories should be about twice what it is for Star Wars.

I DON'T CARE IF 'MOM' TAKES YOU CLOTHES SHOPPING. YOU CAN GET MORE IF YOU ADD ON TO WHAT SHE BUYS YOU, AND "MORE IS BETTER."

Again, divide this money in THIRDS or close... 1/3 of $1000, is $333, but make it $300 even.

So now:

d) Roadtrip fund

$300 to get you to the nearest amusement park (like Disneyland) or get tickets to a rock concert if Metallica or Linkin Park is coming to town, whatever.

Doesn't cost THAT much? Take a friend. This can be a date, or a good buddy.

Is it worth it? Are you being used? No. It is nice to give to others. Even if you are doing this for your own reward - getting a girlfriend or something, if the person is truly worth your while, eventually, when they can, they will do something for you, or you can take somebody else the next time (but don't threaten them with that. Let them decide on their own. You just leave them with the impression that you're a really nice guy.)

What do you get out of it? I love going to the zoo, or visiting a museum and climbing aboard a captured enemy submarine, or anything to do with rollercoasters. I have 3 choices:

i) go by myself - boring, lonely, and possibly dangerous
ii) wait for some friend to be able to afford to pay their own way - but is being bored at home waiting to go somewhere any better?
iii) taking a friend so I go when I want, where I want, with who I want, and I am in control.

Which is better?

For this one, you might want $900 a year in this category, which means you can do wherever you want approximately 3-4 times a year - or just save money for emergencies or next years' funds if you don't.

However, now you have:

4) set aside $300 for roadtrips, concerts, conventions, etc. and save it for that.

During this time, if you have had dates, keep replenishing your date fund.

The above recipe hinges on whether you can save, accumulate in gifts or allowance, or go out and earn $700. Mowing your neighbor's lawn for $10 once a week would earn you $160 in 4 months. When I was 12 I was doing most of my neighbors' yards for them. To make close to $700, you only need to do 4 yards, 1 per day. Less than a 5-day work week for you youngsters. wash somebody's car a few times for the difference to get $700.

If you have a minimum wage job because you are over 15 years old, or you're in college already, I shouldn't hear you complaining. Sure you have bills, but this plan will teach you NOT to spend on your credit cards. Be in the black (money spent and not owed) but you can incorporate a pay-down plan into this plan which (if you are not charging anything ever again) can actually be FUN because you are still getting a lot of what you want WHEN you want it, right?

Now, by April-May of 2004:

5) whether or not you've found $200 worth of Star Wars, start saving your next $200 or more for exclusively Star Wars.
6) Add more to your clothing budget by $200 next.
7) Add again to your roadtrip budget again after that.

OTHER THINGS TO CONSIDER:

VERY IMPORTANT: Figure out an amount to spend on going out with friends. Do this by tracking arcade games you play, the costs at the bowling alley or batting cages, how much you smoke, drink, pay in night club cover charges, etc. Move that into the first priority slot, before even your date fund. You won't find someone to date if you don't go out and do things in the first place, right? Now consider what it really costs you to smoke and drink. Quit. Add that money to your fun budget. Rob Zombie Concert with Hotel Room or 4 months worth of cigarettes? Take pictures of yourself smoking and post them if you really think anybody thinks that's so great. Use the money for a gym membership if you feel fatigued or weird if you're nicotine addicted. Do you know how many hot chicks there are at the gym? You can get lucky going there on Friday night instead of to a bar. Trust me.

Now your friends won't laugh at your Star Wars hobby because you'll be always able to go out and do things, dressed well, and even afford to take them to a concert or a park, and you won't be home crying that you can't go anywhere because you can't scrounge $5 to afford the Jedi Luke Skywalker.

BALANCE YOUR FRIGGIN LIVES! THAT'S THE MESSAGE.

Then there's nothing sad about being a Star Wars collector.

And those of you without careers that make more than minimum wage - add to your plan a plan to pay (and succeed at) getting a better education or furthering your job skill training so you can make more. Minimum wage is not how to marry and support a family. Don't say "forget that" just because you can't afford it. Say "forget it" when you CAN afford it and can make a choice.

And you family guys - your family comes first. Sorry if you started one before you got your financial freedom in order, but that's the choices you've made. To me, condoms are worth more than Star Wars figures - one of them at the right time is actually worth more than ALL your Star Wars figures. $10,000 a year - that's the cost of each child added to your household. Add that to your income, or subtract that from what you spend on yourself. Most non-adults get divorced over that when they can't cope with it any more. Well, you'll still have to pay for it and not gain any financial freedom, as I fully support and hope that dead-beat dads will be DNA identified, caught, fined, and jailed. I'm not saying stay in a bad relationship, but your wives are your partners in getting out of any holes some of you might be in. Ask them for your help the same way you asked them for their hand in marriage. That should've been the idea back then, and it needs to be the adult idea now.

Finally, to all of you collecting other toy lines:

LORD OF THE RINGS
HOT WHEELS
MCFARLANE SPORTS
TOY BIZ SUPER HEROES
GI Joes

whatever....

sports cards, relics from Nazi Germany, etc. etc.

Budget for it independently, and fund it in portions as it fits into your FUN priorities above. Spread them out so you get a plan together for all, or at least some, out of every category you want to live and experience satisfaction in.

That is the Balance in the Force.

This has been a special message brought to you by your UberNerd who might not be such a nerd after all.... (maybe)

Oh, and make sure you budget your time so that you don't spend too much writing really really long posts on a forum. ;)

Turbowars
12-26-2003, 05:46 PM
Oh, and make sure you budget your time so that you don't spend too much writing really really long posts on a forum. ;)You didn't really read that did you Stilla?:crazed:

plasticfetish
12-26-2003, 06:16 PM
Yup.

First I thought... "Gee, that's a long post Tycho made." But then I thought... "Gee, that's a long post stillakid had to quote every single word of."

Old Fossil
12-26-2003, 07:30 PM
It's so long, reminds me of an online software user agreement... seems like there should be an "If you agree to the terms..." button at the end of that post! lol

Turbowars
12-26-2003, 07:38 PM
It's so long, reminds me of an online software user agreement... seems like there should be an "If you agree to the terms..." button at the end of that post! lolThere was, but Steve removed it, LOL. J/K Tycho, you're a cool dude.;)

Devo
12-26-2003, 08:20 PM
I read it all. Well, Tycho is right. I wish he wasn't though. I'm fairly persuaded that, as Star wars toy collectors go, I am indeed...here's that controversial word-sad. I don't budget in the least but then again I don't have real financial responsibilities. I think he was half-joking when he mentioned people whose mum's buy their clothes... :nerv: well-stop laughing because thats me. I am a college student. We're supposed to be scrabbling for cash just to stay alive. I'm in the position where I don't have to worry about being merely sustained. Mum takes care of it. So all my cash goes on toys or alcohol and club entry fees but for a long time recently it was mostly toys, selfishly so because I should have been saving for christmas presents (thats why she was ****** off :stupid: ). Tycho also mentioned girlfriends quite frequently. His emphasis on this leads me to believe that I should be making attempts to find one...goddammit. :ermm: Can't I just use that porn I covet so much? At least I get that free from dad's shop. I kid you not, even porn isn't a financial responsibility.

Don't get me wrong I've always known my situation isn't normal but the older I get the more absurd it seems. Its because its not altogether undesireable (being quite easy for me) that I don't feel compelled to do anything to....become someone who is not a sad b*s*ard.

I started this thread as a joke but tonight I'm going to cry myself to sleep only to wake up in the early hours as I have been for the past week with my w*nking arm in agony...nah its just an old war wound so to speak....exacerbated by the w*nking. lol

Jesus someone stop me :rolleyes:

P.S. notice all the smilies I managed to string into this post!!

Turbowars
12-26-2003, 09:54 PM
I read it all. Well, Tycho is right. I wish he wasn't though. I'm fairly persuaded that, as Star wars toy collectors go, I am indeed...here's that controversial word-sad. I don't budget in the least but then again I don't have real financial responsibilities. I think he was half-joking when he mentioned people whose mum's buy their clothes... :nerv: well-stop laughing because thats me. I am a college student. We're supposed to be scrabbling for cash just to stay alive. I'm in the position where I don't have to worry about being merely sustained. Mum takes care of it. So all my cash goes on toys or alcohol and club entry fees but for a long time recently it was mostly toys, selfishly so because I should have been saving for christmas presents (thats why she was ****** off :stupid: ). Tycho also mentioned girlfriends quite frequently. His emphasis on this leads me to believe that I should be making attempts to find one...goddammit. :ermm: Can't I just use that porn I covet so much? At least I get that free from dad's shop. I kid you not, even porn isn't a financial responsibility.

Don't get me wrong I've always known my situation isn't normal but the older I get the more absurd it seems. Its because its not altogether undesireable (being quite easy for me) that I don't feel compelled to do anything to....become someone who is not a sad b*s*ard.

I started this thread as a joke but tonight I'm going to cry myself to sleep only to wake up in the early hours as I have been for the past week with my w*nking arm in agony...nah its just an old war wound so to speak....exacerbated by the w*nking. lol

Jesus someone stop me :rolleyes:

P.S. notice all the smilies I managed to string into this post!!Lesson learned, Smiles 101;)

Tycho
12-27-2003, 12:32 AM
I think a point you might want to add to your reasoning that led you to your conclusion is this:

Girls age 18-24 - greatest chance of them being single, non-attached, and without kids. (they cost less to have a relationship with, and will find you more desireable now)

You: age 18-24 - weigh less than you will after 10 more years of inactivity save for your favorite wrist. Now's the time where a gym membership will get you 2 things you'll want: girls 18-24, and your body kept like it was 18-24, even when you're 34.

Girls 24-34 - weigh more than the ones you're looking at in your favorite porn, plus more of them will be unavailable, in marriages, divorced with baggage, and possibly with kids (and now they cost a lot more to have a relationship with, or have plans to anyway - to get you to pay for some other guys' kids). Now don't get me wrong about kids - it's not for me, but some guys love a girl's children by another man...but you might need 2-3 times your current Star Wars budget, so like I said before $10,000 per kid.... better take off from college into a highly rewarding career. YOU ALONE can live on $50,000 - not anyone else or their children. Not if you want your financial freedom.

You: 24-34 - will be working more, and less inspired to go to the gym if you've created more work for yourself in that department, and you'll be lonely and either consumed by your career, or lack thereof. Girls will either be scared of your age difference between yourself, and the ages of the really cute ones, or they'll evaluate you by how much fun you can be (well they will anyway) and that translates into how much money you can spend.

See, I don't think porn is some kind of religious sin, or is evil or something, but people who were probably pretty smart at re-wording things made that up because it can substitute for you learning how to live in the real world, and that WILL ruin your life. Porn is just a tool to get you on the way, like your plane which doesn't kill you, but carries you into the crash.

So of course looking at sexy, naked chicks is a worthy past time. But making sure that some of them are real in your life rather than pulp on your toilet top is ten times a more worthy cause, and one that is easier to achieve, the younger you are.

Rebudget like I suggested to you so you can go out, date, have friends, interact with people, and spend what it takes to look good: clothes, gym, Clearsil, a dentist - whatever. It sounds like Mom will help in most of those departments anyway.

But cut the Star Wars to moderation and exercise careful scrutiny over your spending, Star Wars included. (I really hope you're not a completist). But plan to enjoy Star Wars as you plan to enjoy all the other things life has to offer.

-Tycho

(oh and to all you others who didn't read everything I wrote above, at least I made the effort to help someone, rather than just joke about it).

stillakid
12-27-2003, 01:20 AM
Yup.

First I thought... "Gee, that's a long post Tycho made." But then I thought... "Gee, that's a long post stillakid had to quote every single word of."

It was funnier that way. :D

plasticfetish
12-27-2003, 04:35 AM
It was funnier that way. :D
Yeah... I'm slow after the holidays, I got that finally. (And you're right.)

oh and to all you others who didn't read everything I wrote above, at least I made the effort to help someone, rather than just joke about it.
Oh, Tycho. We always read everything you write. It's just that I happened to sit through The Return of the King on Thursday and I'm not sure I'm ready for another 3.5 hour epic. :) :p :D :stupid: :crazed: :nerv: :speech: :beard:
...only joking around again. How's that old Mary Poppins song go? "A spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down." Things can get a little heavy around here sometimes, Devo seemed to intend something a little more light hearted. At least that's how I'm reading it. (Besides, every good sermon can benefit from the use of humor to drive it's point home.)

stillakid
12-27-2003, 02:57 PM
(I really hope you're not a completist)

You seem to have a crusade going against "completists." What gives? :confused:

Tycho
12-27-2003, 06:35 PM
Let's use an analogy. Suppose you're a major fan of In And Out Burger - they are a super-good fast food hamburger joint here on the west coast.

So, let's say you are such a fan, you try everything on their menu.

That's pretty simple since they only offer 3 items:

burger
burger w. cheese
double burger w/wo cheese

and some assorted shakes.

So you kind of become an afficianado.

Then they add VEGETABLE SHAKES with CARROT JUICE to the menu.

Assuming you don't like these, why would you continue to buy them?

If you did, the burger place would think they have a hit on their hands and possibly remove their lemonade fountain and replace it with carrot juice! Yeeech!

Now taking that analogy back to Star Wars:

Mace with a magic wand sticking out of his back
a Destroyer Droid Launcher toy that should come with a happy meal
R2D2 with a string in his head, lacking another happy meal
Yoda from the Mexican Revolutionary Army
Chewie on a ventilator from a wolfman episode of "E.R."
Luke from Clan of the Cave Bear with Death Star Railing
Snowtrooper from "It feels better with Ex-Lax commercial"
Obi-Wan Kenobi with Penthouse Subscription Owner Action

The list goes on...

Why buy it?

I suppose some of it impresses you when it's carded if you're a non-opener - but even 'Yo Qero Taco Bell Yoda' can't look good on a card! Come on!

I just respect the collector with a discerning taste that stands up to Hasbro, and I lose respect for a collector who dispenses with ALL his money into Star Wars, whether he can afford it or not, when he buys stuff even he does not like - just to pack-rat it all somewhere on a wall or in boxes.

Life, duty to oneself and one's family, freedom from financial stress - all that is passing you by because it can't be found at Toys R Us.

Stillakid, as far as I know, you're a completist and you can afford it. But I think Emperor Jargo COULD also afford it, but has even more discerning taste than I do when he's deciding what he wants and will actually buy.

But in most cases, our younger folk here, especially students, should not waste their money to be completists, and should learn to relax and enjoy the hobby for what it offers - good things. It can offer the bad with it, but that's not what you should tolerate with something you do for fun.

Turbowars
12-27-2003, 07:14 PM
Hey now, no one likes a preacher. To me it's lame to buy 10 of one figure because you want to make 10 different diorama's. You think it's a waste of money to have a complete collection. Fine, but we don't need to be told over and over about how to spend our $. If someone wants to blow their pay check on SW figures then that's their problem. To say you have or don't have respect for someone based on their collecting habbits is completely ridiculous. Oh and another thing, In and Out has more to offer, there's the 3x3, 4x4, and animal style. Man I love being a smart ***.;)

plasticfetish
12-27-2003, 08:44 PM
If you don't eat meat, you can also ask for a "grilled cheese" at IN-N-OUT. You can get it with a combo meal as well. :classic:

BTW... I like poncho Yoda and ventilator Chewbacca. (The rest are lame though.) Point taken Tycho. "Relax and enjoy the hobby for what it offers", should really apply to everyone.

stillakid
12-27-2003, 08:51 PM
I suppose it looks as if you are trying to look after the younger generation of collectors from a certain point of view...you know, sort of protecting them from themselves. Right? I guess, but why? I go back to the reason I buy things pretty much as soon as I find them...for the simple reason that I may never see them again except at exhorbitant 3rd party prices. True, often some things go on sale so had I waited I would have saved a buck or two, but I'm no fortuneteller so I can't tell what will be a $3 pegwarmer and what I'll only be able to pick up from Brian's Toys for $20 a pop. So I buy it all, when I see it. If that tragic day ever arrives when I financially can't do that, I'll deal with it then instead of "living for tomorrow" and not having a complete collection like I have chosen to do. As Turbo points out, there isn't a whole lotta difference between giving Hasbro $100 bucks for 12 different action figures and giving them $100 bucks for 12 of the same Anakin for 12 dioramas.

But what it really comes down to is what is valuable for you. For you, it's creating mini-dioramas. For me, it's having a complete collection (or at least as complete as I can make it) warts and all. See, it doesn't really bother me that much when a figure can't dance and sing on it's own. I'm mostly interested in just having little versions of the onscreen characters and could really care less if they have 1 point of articulation or a billion. Don't care. Probably won't ever. That's not to say that it isn't cool to be able to pose my Stormtroopers into nifty kickdancing lines and all, but I was pretty happy with the vintage figures at the time. Same with the He-Man versions. Yeah, they're getting better in detail and such, but if they never had, I wouldn't have noticed probably. But that's just me. You have your standards, Exhaust has his, Jar Jar has his, I have mine, and on and on. What I want to do is build a complete collection (at least one of everything) so that makes me just as good as anyone else with their own collecting parameters. No?

With that in mind...

Mace with a magic wand sticking out of his back
a Destroyer Droid Launcher toy that should come with a happy meal
R2D2 with a string in his head, lacking another happy meal
Yoda from the Mexican Revolutionary Army
Chewie on a ventilator from a wolfman episode of "E.R."
Luke from Clan of the Cave Bear with Death Star Railing
Snowtrooper from "It feels better with Ex-Lax commercial"
Obi-Wan Kenobi with Penthouse Subscription Owner Action

The list goes on...

Why buy it?.

I happened to really love the Mace with the wand out his back. It made for a really awesome toy. Far better than the traditional Karate Chop action that we usually get.

Again, the Destroyer Droid Launcher makes for a pretty cool toy for reenacting battle scenes and stuff. A nice alternative to the standard red firing dart thing.

The Flying R2 could have been finished off better, but the intention was clear enough. Perhaps with a normal sculpt and some clear fishing line it would have been better all around, but the intention for play wasn't a bad thing.

I could keep going, but it looks like your main objections are that some of these figures don't fit into your idea of what you need for your collecting style. If it doesn't work in a "necessary" diorama, then why should Hasbro make it, right? :confused:

From my perch it looks like Hasbro is making a concerted effort to make some of these figures for collectors (insanely detailed and articulated) while at the same time working to also create enough toys so that kids can still play with them. To me, they all look enough alike that they can all co-exist within the same "toy line" on a shelf. Looks great to me. :)

Bottom line is that we all have our own reasons for buying even one figure much less another and another and another and so on. We also have our own methods and priorities when it comes to shopping for them (online vs racing with the Hotwheels nerds in AM vs whenever we get around to it). Yet one person's reasons or style or desires isn't any better or worse than anyone else's. If a kid wants to start trying to collect one of everything, what's the harm? I wasn't able to do it as a kid with the vintage line, so I suppose I'm trying to make up for it by doing it now. That's my reason I guess. And one day, when I get a barn, I'll take what I have and build little scenes or something. In the meantime, having one of each is pretty cool. :cool:

Tycho
12-28-2003, 04:13 AM
OK. Point well-taken, and others' reasons or styles of collecting are well explained. I understand completists a bit better now. I didn't mean to sound like I was preaching, but I see how I did that anyway.

But I don't think you Turbowars, or you Stillakid, spend every last one of your dollars on your Star Wars collection, the way someone younger might.

You guys have a variety in your life. I hope our young guys do as well.

Devo
12-28-2003, 03:16 PM
I have at times had completist tendencies and I still do when it comes to certain isolated pockets of Star wars toy collecting such as buying all the background aliens and droids Hasbro ever make...but then again its a futile cause for me. Even when I can afford the things I can't find them or vica versa. I can't really be a completist because I've missed tonnes of figures I would otherwise have bought and I'm not going to the ends of the earth to find them. Nevertheless I do think I'm too obsessive about the collecting business so I'm interested in Tycho's advice here. He advocates being more selective about what figures one buys. I think its brilliant that even he who could probably afford to be a completist has resolved not to bother with much of Hasbro's output (though Stillakid's reasons for being a completist can also be respected). Since I can't afford to be a completist I think I'm going to make an effort to be more selective.

Incidentally most of the figures Tycho listed as being, in his view, not worth a look, I do have, but agree that they are pretty crap. Obi wan Acklay battle is poxy, the snowtrooper was disappointing, the jedi Luke was only good for the short moment in the film it represents. I did manage to avoid the R2 like the plague-irredeemable pap. And I have no plans to buy Mexican Yoda or any figure or vehicle that wasn't in the films. I don't think ruling out expanded universe is enough though. Really I could do with not buying any toys from the prequel films, which I don't even like. I like a lot of the toys-but not the films they're from. Except here's where the completist comes in - since I've already started buying prequel toys and like most people am assembling a nice geonosis diorama I'm reluctant to just say-"thats all I need". What of the geonosian starfighter? I have the Hailfire droid-do I need to get the other vehicle from that wave? Its a Geonosis vehicle and goes with stuff I have already but if I get it will it mean that I absolutely have to get the Homing spider droid, the AT-MT and all the other stuff for which space and not just money is a consideration? I just don't know.

Dropping prequel toys would be great for me since they form the bulk of whats being produced by Hasbro (early 2004 excepted). I'd be buying only original trilogy stuff. I like the way that sounds but that changes when I go into the shop and see some really cool prequel toys. I am torn. I also collect McFarlane products by the way. I definitely exhibited completist tendencies with them, getting bloodied and non-bloodied versions of certain movie maniac characters etc. I have now resolved in future not to bother with anything they produce that isn't Alien/predator/Terminator or Robocop related-my other favourite film franchises for which I've also created dioramas. I bought their Austin powers figures and now wonder why I bothered - they were good but not conducive to diorama building. I've dabbled in McFarlanes Matrix line - also good but again why did I bother? I'm not particularly enthusiastic about the films. I used to collect Buffy and Angel figures but thankfully those lines were cancelled. Since McFarlane aren't likely to produce more figures in the near future from the franchises I do like it would, theoretically, be great if I also reduced my collecting to the OT star wars films.

Someone tell me to stop buying prequel toys- that may lend some finality to my plight.

Devo
12-28-2003, 03:30 PM
I think a point you might want to add to your reasoning that led you to your conclusion is this:

Girls age 18-24 - greatest chance of them being single, non-attached, and without kids. (they cost less to have a relationship with, and will find you more desireable now)

You: age 18-24 - weigh less than you will after 10 more years of inactivity save for your favorite wrist. Now's the time where a gym membership will get you 2 things you'll want: girls 18-24, and your body kept like it was 18-24, even when you're 34.

Girls 24-34 - weigh more than the ones you're looking at in your favorite porn, plus more of them will be unavailable, in marriages, divorced with baggage, and possibly with kids (and now they cost a lot more to have a relationship with, or have plans to anyway - to get you to pay for some other guys' kids). Now don't get me wrong about kids - it's not for me, but some guys love a girl's children by another man...but you might need 2-3 times your current Star Wars budget, so like I said before $10,000 per kid.... better take off from college into a highly rewarding career. YOU ALONE can live on $50,000 - not anyone else or their children. Not if you want your financial freedom.

You: 24-34 - will be working more, and less inspired to go to the gym if you've created more work for yourself in that department, and you'll be lonely and either consumed by your career, or lack thereof. Girls will either be scared of your age difference between yourself, and the ages of the really cute ones, or they'll evaluate you by how much fun you can be (well they will anyway) and that translates into how much money you can spend.

See, I don't think porn is some kind of religious sin, or is evil or something, but people who were probably pretty smart at re-wording things made that up because it can substitute for you learning how to live in the real world, and that WILL ruin your life. Porn is just a tool to get you on the way, like your plane which doesn't kill you, but carries you into the crash.

So of course looking at sexy, naked chicks is a worthy past time. But making sure that some of them are real in your life rather than pulp on your toilet top is ten times a more worthy cause, and one that is easier to achieve, the younger you are.

Rebudget like I suggested to you so you can go out, date, have friends, interact with people, and spend what it takes to look good: clothes, gym, Clearsil, a dentist - whatever. It sounds like Mom will help in most of those departments anyway.

But cut the Star Wars to moderation and exercise careful scrutiny over your spending, Star Wars included. (I really hope you're not a completist). But plan to enjoy Star Wars as you plan to enjoy all the other things life has to offer.

-Tycho

(oh and to all you others who didn't read everything I wrote above, at least I made the effort to help someone, rather than just joke about it).

Fantastic post. And painfully correct.

Tycho
12-28-2003, 05:13 PM
Thanks.

BTW: see you have already identified areas where you can save money: Buffy, Angel, Expanded Universe stuff, etc.

But saving money means having it to use in those other areas of your life we talked about.

Unfortunately, the Geonosian Fighter is pretty cool. You'll probably like that if you get it. I had to have 2 :rolleyes: But an Arena Battle Diorama / Battle of Geonosis is one of the coolest and most worthy things you can buy. There will be more prequel stuff like the Jedi Pablo Jill (dumb name but cool looking alien) that you'll love to get. But other things like Han AT-ST Driver are up to you (I'm not buying that one. But that's just me). Don't ask how much money I blew on Clone Troopers! :crazed:

Just enjoy your hobby: EU for example - Yoda does suck, but Ventress is really cool.

Making up rules for how you entertain yourself (buying SW) doesn't help you enjoy your hobby either.

Making up the budget guideline for setting aside money for other things: doing things with friends, dates, clothes, concerts or amusement parks, conventions, etc. - like I bet you'd think it was worth it if you saved to go to Star Wars' Celebration 3 (likely in Indianapolis). You have over a year to put aside the money (little by little) Airfare plus hotel and admission could be achieved for say, $700. You have 15 months. Can you save $46.66 a month? That's 9 less action figures...

Do you need

Ack Med Beq? (are you doing a Club Outlander Diorama?)

R-3PO? (are you doing an Echo Base Diorama?)

Imperial Dignitary 2 (Does your Palpatine like Captain Crunch?) - there will be a better one coming along in "Sim Aloo," unless you want to collect all 5 or something.

TIE Pilot - do you already have one? Need another one - possibly if you're doing some kind of Imperial Forces Diorama or you don't have any yet. But just to buy it? It's not different from a figure you might have.

Lando Skiff Guard - do you have one? The new one does look a lot better, but I'll skip the temptation since there wasn't anything wrong with the old one.

Bossk - again, the old one (if you have him) was pretty darn good. Dengar on the other hand, sucked in the old version. And, hey, I can admit it - the new Bossk is a super-great sculpt and hard to pass on!

Anyway, there's 6, though they won't all be coming out the same month, but that could be $30

- almost a dinner and movie for 2
- a new shirt or pair of pants at Robinsons-May Co.
- almost admission to Disneyland or a Six Flags park - definitely with a coupon
- your first month's savings towards convention in April 2005. If you don't spend all your time in line waiting for some stupid action figure, you can see the stars, talk to those who portrayed your favorite characters in SW, talk to Hasbro and the folks at Del Rey, Dark Horse, and LucasArts Video Games, make contacts if you're interested in working in some SW licensor's field, shop (if you're careful with your SW spending money and think about what you should be patient for, and what you'll never have the opportunity to buy again), and meet everyone you chat with on SirStevesGuide, at our big party, plus meet girls interested in Star Wars - and not on the 'net but in person.

No 6 or 9 figures will entertain you for:

4 hours over dinner and a movie

dressing nice in something new to wear for a whole day, and every day after thereafter when it's out of the wash

a whole day at Disneyland or the rollercoaster park of your choice - or a trip out on a para-sailing charter, skiing instructions, a scuba adventure, whatever, you name it - you're $30+ further towards it.

That gives you something to talk about when you meet new people at parties or other social settings, too. Doesn't it?

I'm going horseback riding (and doing some horse racing) and maybe doing some shooting over New Years (not at live people). But that's a topic for another thread when I get back. But I'd rather have "been on a TaunTaun" than just have a plastic statue of one. I don't just admire Luke, I try to live like he does. Well, I still want to have the plastic statue of one, too :D

But saving $46 a month for your convention trip will entertain you for 3 days plus give you some adventure, traveling, etc.

You can ask a buddy to start saving to join you, or make arrangements to meet people you chat with here at the con to hang out with. But you'll have the funds to take care of yourself, too - not be dependent upon anybody so you won't have to share a room with someone you don't know, etc. etc.

All that sound better than staying at home looking at your TIE Pilot figure that looks just like your old one?

It's quite possible that after college your earnings will greatly increase, and you can create a new budget, see what you got in it for Star Wars, and then buy as many Imperial Dignitaries or repainted Protocal Droids as makes your heart content.

You're learning to get EVERYTHING YOU WANT. You haven't got it yet, but you're enjoying the balance you get from moderation, and you're establishing the social skills and practical planning skills that will help you make it in this wolrd, knowing then you'll get EVERYTHING YOU WANT - and even better, WHEN YOU WANT IT!

Anyway, I'll cut "the sermon."

Devo
12-28-2003, 06:58 PM
A problem I've had is impulse buying. I was never content to leave forbidden planet with nothing. Thats how I started buying mcfarlane figures. When I couldn't find any new star wars toys I left the shop with austin powers figures and one-off movie maniac figures (unlike big franchises such as Terminator of which a series of diorama-friendly figures were made). So theres something I need to cut out. If no new star wars wave has hit the shop just leave. There are other noble causes as you said, some of them not even self-serving :eek: .

I really want pretty much all OT figures that are made unless they are particularly poor such as the new Emperor. R-3PO is a definite as are all the diginitaries. I have found most of the resculpts we've been getting to be necessary. Bossk not quite as much. Then again since its looking like all the bounty hunters are being redone (and I never got the original Zuckuss) I figure I might just get this bossk however adequate the old one is. I have three TIE pilots ('96, TIE interceptor, KB TIE fighter) and I figure that though no resculpt was desperately needed a fourth pilot wouldn't look bad in an imperial set-up. I love the new Skiff Lando and will have to get it (my life doesn't depend on it but...).

Ack med bek is a tough one. The completist in me says get him(if I find him)-because I have Faytonni. My rationale for buying background characters from the prequels is that they can fill up OT dioramas. My cantina bar serves also as the outlander nightclub and Dexter's Diner and at the moment would be barren without these extra figures. Then again the earlier I stop buying these prequel background characters the less likely completist inclinations will take over. Perhaps if I just bought Ack and left it at that I'd be a step closer to giving prequel toys the finger-no matter how cool looking they are. There's going to be tonnes of prequel background aliens to be made up to 2018 but sooner than that, at present rates, all the geonosis possibilities will be covered, they'll be ranging into San hill resculpts etc which I'd definitely ignore. Right now I predict that anything from geonosis and any more jedis (battle poses or jedi council) will be too tempting to pass up.

There are some 'diorama's from the prequels that I know I'd never do if I fail to 'give up' collecting from these films. Therefore I can safely say that I won't get the many future Padmes that will be made with exception perhaps of palpatines office garb (I find senatorial gear really cool looking) and a decent resculpt of the navel-exposed geonosis battle Padme. I, along with everyone else, await a decent Ep2 Obi wan for my geonosis/lightsaber duel scenes. I see that people who had initially thought that nightclub Obi was 'it' based on early photos have since recanted that view so I might avoid this one. A non-wet cloaked version in neutral pose would also be nice.(Notice how I keep coming up with exceptions - "I have to stop buying prequel toys....oh but what about the new this, what about the rumoured that"). I'd like if I could just be clear on this and just limit myself to Geonosis....geonosis geonosis geonosis geonosis - Aya vida? Not geonosis-ignore.

And this reissuing of vehicles is another thing- OK I will ignore prequel vehicle reissues like the jedi starfighter and gunship(tempting as this was it was too expensive when the old one was available at a bargain price and besides I don't have space) but what about OT vehicles? The green A-wing looks cool and i know would work well in a ROTJ hangar bay set-up but then what happens when they reissue the B-wing and Y-wing....then what if they reissue the AT-AT (and they probably will using the same "new collector" rationale as they do with reissued figures)? Red leader's X-wing would likewise go well in a hangar bay diorama but it will take up a lot of space. Besides, any hangar bay dioramas I do cannot be permanent. Is it worthwhile therefore to get 'diorama' building vehicles? What policy do others have on vehicle reissues/repaints/resculpts?

Here I'll add a few smilies now to make it seem like I'm still joking around:

:) ;) :D :p lol :sur: :cool: :crazed: :classic: :beard:

Turbowars
12-28-2003, 07:14 PM
If I spent every cent on SW figures I wouldn't have a wife. She's the most exspensive thing I have. I just wish she would go back to work!

Tycho
12-28-2003, 07:27 PM
Why doesn't your wife work, Turbowars?

I thought all adults over 18 were expectant that they'd work.

I can understand a mother with children under kindergarten age, though. Unless the wife earned more and the father should stay home with the kids.

But that's why I'm saying plan and b-u-d-g-e-t.

If you're into it with a wife, she's your partner. Share with her what you want (lots of SW toys, or whatever) and ask her what she wants. Figure out what's fair and a good compromise (or keep finding ways to earn more or advance your career so you can have everything). In any case, when I mentioned the cost of a relationship before - that's taking the wife (or girlfriend) on vacations or to do things WITH YOU to strengthen or reinforce your bond. In my experience, and I haven't ever been married, women will find a way to get what they want from you, or get it from another man, if they can. I don't know your particular situation though, or if she's worth the arising to the challenge for. I've had a few ex-girlfriends that weren't.

bobafrett
12-28-2003, 07:33 PM
Thanks.

BTW: see you have already identified areas where you can save money: Buffy, Angel, Expanded Universe stuff, etc.

But saving money means having it to use in those other areas of your life we talked about.

Unfortunately, the Geonosian Fighter is pretty cool. You'll probably like that if you get it. I had to have 2 :rolleyes: But an Arena Battle Diorama / Battle of Geonosis is one of the coolest and most worthy things you can buy. There will be more prequel stuff like the Jedi Pablo Jill (dumb name but cool looking alien) that you'll love to get. But other things like Han AT-ST Driver are up to you (I'm not buying that one. But that's just me). Don't ask how much money I blew on Clone Troopers! :crazed:

Just enjoy your hobby: EU for example - Yoda does suck, but Ventress is really cool.

Making up rules for how you entertain yourself (buying SW) doesn't help you enjoy your hobby either.

Making up the budget guideline for setting aside money for other things: doing things with friends, dates, clothes, concerts or amusement parks, conventions, etc. - like I bet you'd think it was worth it if you saved to go to Star Wars' Celebration 3 (likely in Indianapolis). You have over a year to put aside the money (little by little) Airfare plus hotel and admission could be achieved for say, $700. You have 15 months. Can you save $46.66 a month? That's 9 less action figures...

Do you need

Ack Med Beq? (are you doing a Club Outlander Diorama?)

R-3PO? (are you doing an Echo Base Diorama?)

Imperial Dignitary 2 (Does your Palpatine like Captain Crunch?) - there will be a better one coming along in "Sim Aloo," unless you want to collect all 5 or something.

TIE Pilot - do you already have one? Need another one - possibly if you're doing some kind of Imperial Forces Diorama or you don't have any yet. But just to buy it? It's not different from a figure you might have.

Lando Skiff Guard - do you have one? The new one does look a lot better, but I'll skip the temptation since there wasn't anything wrong with the old one.

Bossk - again, the old one (if you have him) was pretty darn good. Dengar on the other hand, sucked in the old version. And, hey, I can admit it - the new Bossk is a super-great sculpt and hard to pass on!

Anyway, there's 6, though they won't all be coming out the same month, but that could be $30

- almost a dinner and movie for 2
- a new shirt or pair of pants at Robinsons-May Co.
- almost admission to Disneyland or a Six Flags park - definitely with a coupon
- your first month's savings towards convention in April 2005. If you don't spend all your time in line waiting for some stupid action figure, you can see the stars, talk to those who portrayed your favorite characters in SW, talk to Hasbro and the folks at Del Rey, Dark Horse, and LucasArts Video Games, make contacts if you're interested in working in some SW licensor's field, shop (if you're careful with your SW spending money and think about what you should be patient for, and what you'll never have the opportunity to buy again), and meet everyone you chat with on SirStevesGuide, at our big party, plus meet girls interested in Star Wars - and not on the 'net but in person.

No 6 or 9 figures will entertain you for:

4 hours over dinner and a movie

dressing nice in something new to wear for a whole day, and every day after thereafter when it's out of the wash

a whole day at Disneyland or the rollercoaster park of your choice - or a trip out on a para-sailing charter, skiing instructions, a scuba adventure, whatever, you name it - you're $30+ further towards it.

That gives you something to talk about when you meet new people at parties or other social settings, too. Doesn't it?

I'm going horseback riding (and doing some horse racing) and maybe doing some shooting over New Years (not at live people). But that's a topic for another thread when I get back. But I'd rather have "been on a TaunTaun" than just have a plastic statue of one. I don't just admire Luke, I try to live like he does. Well, I still want to have the plastic statue of one, too :D

But saving $46 a month for your convention trip will entertain you for 3 days plus give you some adventure, traveling, etc.

You can ask a buddy to start saving to join you, or make arrangements to meet people you chat with here at the con to hang out with. But you'll have the funds to take care of yourself, too - not be dependent upon anybody so you won't have to share a room with someone you don't know, etc. etc.

All that sound better than staying at home looking at your TIE Pilot figure that looks just like your old one?

It's quite possible that after college your earnings will greatly increase, and you can create a new budget, see what you got in it for Star Wars, and then buy as many Imperial Dignitaries or repainted Protocal Droids as makes your heart content.

You're learning to get EVERYTHING YOU WANT. You haven't got it yet, but you're enjoying the balance you get from moderation, and you're establishing the social skills and practical planning skills that will help you make it in this wolrd, knowing then you'll get EVERYTHING YOU WANT - and even better, WHEN YOU WANT IT!

Anyway, I'll cut "the sermon."

Good advice there Tycho. I must say that I don't spend all my money on Star Wars, but you brought up something that I had not thought of. I am planning on attending Celebration III, and quite possibly doing badge check in my trooper armor. I did it at Celebration II and had a blast. But the one problem I had, was after hotel expenses, and the fee to get in, plus some money for autographs including Carrie Fishers, I didn't have a whole lot for entertainment after the convention closed for the day, nor a whole lot of goodies that were sold. Putting aside a small chunk of money each month, will make the costs not be such a burden when it comes time to dish out the dough. I'm going to heed this advice and start putting money away toward this plus other things, for example, I really could use a new winter coat. I've been wearing the same brown leather coat for many years, and it's a little worn. I also have a son who needs new clothes (any day now, he's going to hit a growth spurt, and need a whole new wardrobe). :D

Turbowars
12-28-2003, 07:50 PM
Why doesn't your wife work, Turbowars?

I thought all adults over 18 were expectant that they'd work.

I can understand a mother with children under kindergarten age, though. Unless the wife earned more and the father should stay home with the kids.

But that's why I'm saying plan and b-u-d-g-e-t.

If you're into it with a wife, she's your partner. Share with her what you want (lots of SW toys, or whatever) and ask her what she wants. Figure out what's fair and a good compromise (or keep finding ways to earn more or advance your career so you can have everything). In any case, when I mentioned the cost of a relationship before - that's taking the wife (or girlfriend) on vacations or to do things WITH YOU to strengthen or reinforce your bond. In my experience, and I haven't ever been married, women will find a way to get what they want from you, or get it from another man, if they can. I don't know your particular situation though, or if she's worth the arising to the challenge for. I've had a few ex-girlfriends that weren't.My wife had back surgery one month ago with many complications. She lost her job do to the pain and yes we are looking into wrongful layoff. Yes we are getting disability, but it is less that what she made. When she gets well this whole ordeal will have been a blessing in disguise. The place she worked at was using her and I always told her that. She worked for a so called friend and she was taken advantage of. No, not in that way, but with pay and what she would do for the company. Anyways I haven't been living a normal life with my wife ill on top of the surgery. I posted the thread about having a baby as a future thought. It will not happen anytime soon, or it might not happen at all ( she might not be able to have children) Collecting in something that's keeping me going. I just wish life wasn't so damn hard all the time for my wife.:confused:

Tycho
12-28-2003, 08:06 PM
You sound like you're helping her a lot, and that you're a good husband.

I would agree with you, too: now is not the time to start having children.

It won't be easy for her to carry a baby with a bad back, too.

If you can be careful to not add to your family now, life may reward you both later. Maybe in 2-3 years when your wife's health is better, and her employment plans and benefits (for pregnancy and healthcare, etc) are probably both different and more secure than they are now, you could be ready for the next major challenge in your lives: parenthood.

But it sounds like a really bad idea now.

Kudos to you for being understanding and helping your wife though.

Turbowars
12-28-2003, 08:20 PM
Thanks, that means alot. It's harder than I excepted. Hell, life is hard enough when things are normal.