PDA

View Full Version : ULTRA BREAKING NEWS: The Return Of The Vintage Line-For Real

plo koon 200
12-16-2003, 10:03 AM
This just in from RS
The Kenner Retro Line

');// --> Dave (dave@rebelscum.com): The following details on the rumored vintage "re-issues" have just come in from a very reliable source:
12 newly sculpted, articulated figures will be released in the original Kenner packaging, with the Kenner logo. These will come packaged in a resealable clamshell, similar to the MOTU re-releases. They will release 4 figures from each movie. (The figures should be) available in summer of 2004. The original Millennium Falcon will also be released in new "vintage" packaging, different from the original but still very cool looking.Three new 12" figures with "incredible likeness" to the originals, one from each of the original movies. Vintage packaging. Luke is a sure thing, but and a mock-up of Boba Fett was also seen.

Though it is being reported that the new retro figures will have extra articulation, it could easily have been a misinterpretation. Chances are still good that the new figures will have the regular five points of articulation found in the vintage line. Considering these are said to be new sculpts, there is a chance, however unlikely, that these figures will more or less compliment the original line and focus on costumes not yet presented in the original Kenner line.

As of late, there has been an increased interest in the vintage Star Wars line, so if successful, it is possible that could lead to an ongoing Kenner line. Until Hasbro makes a statement though, well be left to speculate.

Holy smokes! If this is true then we can maybe get vintage versions of all the OT characters not made. Vintage Ephant Mon, anyone.:D :D :D

plo koon 200
12-16-2003, 10:05 AM
After RS posted there info the Swami chimed in as well from GH.

Swami Sez: What's Old Is New Again
12/15/2003 10:53:03 AM | Reported by Mike ("")

Don't call it a comeback. The Ghost of Kenner Past has visited our Galactic Swami and reveals some terrific news. Although only a few details are available at this time, Swami sez that along with the Original Trilogy DVD release next year, older fans will be able to rekindle some fond memories from their childhood toy chest.

Hasbro is planning on releasing a special collector edition run of Vintage style action figures in conjunction with the highly anticipated release of the Holy Trilogy DVD release in 2004. While based on figures from that era, these new versions will sport additional articulation and come at a much higher pricepoint. We can expect some sort of retro style packaging as well.

That's all Swami has on these vintage re-issues for now. But if the success of Mattel's classic He-Man reissues are any indication, these neo-vintage figures should be hot.

Remember that nothing is confirmed until it comes from the mouth of Hasbro, but Swami will definitely have more news in the coming months!

Believe in The Power Of The Swami!

Masterdorkboy
12-16-2003, 11:02 AM
I hope all of that is true, and if it is I guess sometime next year I won't have enough money for food.

plo koon 200
12-16-2003, 11:06 AM
Neither will I Masterdorkboy. And to think I will start to paying for real college i.e. I am transferring to a 4-year university in the fall. Man oh man am I scarred about all this news about next year. Everything sounds way to good to be true.

SirSteve
12-16-2003, 11:36 AM
Please summarize other sites news rather than posting it verbatim (especially from the 2 sites where that originated from). There are copyright issues when that is done.

InsaneJediGirl
12-16-2003, 11:47 AM
I'm not sure I like it.There will be problems with people trying to pass off the 'new-Vintage' as the 'old-Vintage'.Sounds cool,I'll just wait for more information and pictures to make an opinion.

Beast
12-16-2003, 01:50 PM
Please summarize other sites news rather than posting it verbatim (especially from the 2 sites where that originated from). There are copyright issues when that is done.
It's in the forums though, there should be no issues. Their members quote stuff from here all the time. Unless they're being anal retentive about things again. :rolleyes:

As for the 'passing off' issues, ISJ. It sounds like the figures will be all new sculpts in the vintage 'style'. So I don't think you have anything to worry about in this case. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

darthzirock
12-16-2003, 02:09 PM
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22398

Anakin Palpatine
12-16-2003, 03:04 PM
Yeah, I think I give Hasbro enough of my money. Bring back the old, change the size, what's next? I know, Hasbro can make life size figures, each one will come as it's exact size from the movie. They will cost $10,000.00 each and we will all sell our souls to have at least one tatooine Luke whos hair we can braid.

I keed, I keed!!!!

AmanaMatt
12-17-2003, 03:50 AM
I am really torn on this issue; on one hand, I loved the vintage (as a kid), so this would be very nastalgic for me. On the other, I would rather Hasbro work on incredible new sculpts for the modern line. But, we'll have to wait and see. After the Vintage 4 pack done way back in 1996 (or was that still '95?), I thought the reaction proved to Hasbro that this was not the greatest idea.

Not teribbly original, but I must profess to loving the idea of a Vintage style removable hemlet vader or rocket launching Fett - man, that last one was p!ss off vintage collectors.

LTBasker
12-17-2003, 04:29 AM
I like the idea. :D Hope the figures have accessories that also look like the older ones.. Wait wait wait, please no sabers in the arms! :eek: :eek: :eek: The Peasent disguise Anakin showed that even Hasbro fouls that up, the vintage figs were even better than that Anakin. :p

Jargo
12-17-2003, 05:52 AM
Money for old rope. Sure it'll please the nostalgic amongst us but will mean absolutely nothing more than "what the hell are those!!?" to any kid browsing the toy aisles.

Given that the current trends are for mega articulation and infinite detail in a figure sculpt with a ton of accessories I fail to see the sane logic behind releasing some duff looking toys styled on duff looking toys from the late seventies.

I loved my vintage toys when I was a kid but I've moved on, time has moved on, culture has moved on, technology has moved on so should the production of toys. Not rely on reproductions of stuff that really in all honesty wasn't well made to begin with.

But then again considering Hasbro has relied on vintage molds for the vehicles since 1995 this move doesn't really, truthfully surprise me. Retro is so last decade dahhhhlings. :dead:

DarthRoss
12-18-2003, 01:47 PM
:stupid: Personally, I think that all this talk about the re-release or resculpting of vintage figures is crazy talk. It won't happen.

plo koon 200
12-18-2003, 08:48 PM
It will happen. Trust me. There is far to much evidence out there.

plo koon 200
12-18-2003, 08:50 PM
And welcome to the forums Darth Ross. Your name sounds rather familiar, however. You were not a member before, were you?:eek: :stupid: :ermm:

TheDarthVader
12-18-2003, 10:34 PM
I had a dream that I saw pegs full of "vintage" figures before this news ever broke.......WEIRD! :crazed: I am not going to buy these because: 1. I like the new figures 2. I do not have the room 3. I do not have the money

LusiferSam
12-19-2003, 01:54 PM
Well it can't be a vintage if its made after 1985. Sorry its not the same thing. New figures can be made in the vintage style, but that doesn't make them vintage.

I might care a little more about this news if one I didn't already have a complete set of vintage figures. And two if I thought I might buy them.

jedi master sal
12-19-2003, 03:21 PM
I am most defnitely passing these up.

It's enough to keep up with:
modern 3 3/4 figures
vehicles/ships

12inch

Unleashed

Soon to be released Animated Clone Wars figures

Misc other SW toys and collectibles, like busts, comic books, TCG, RPG, etc...

Hasbro has enough of my money.

Hell, if they'd ever fix their case assortments they'd have more, ie Green 3 pack of clones, TC-14, R2-B1, Naboo Royal Security, and many various other figures that were short pack over the years.

No more new lines please. Many of us are stretched way to thin as it is.

I will confidently state that I will NOT buy any of this particular line.

Like Jargo, I've moved on to better sculpts/articulation.

I can go to any number of novelty stores here in Pittsburgh and find the REAL vintage toys for cheap. (And I hardly do that, when it's accessible to me, why would I want these "fakes".)

Beast
12-19-2003, 03:48 PM
Hell, if they'd ever fix their case assortments they'd have more, ie Green 3 pack of clones, TC-14, R2-B1, Naboo Royal Security, and many various other figures that were short pack over the years.
I can't comment on the Green Clones, but TC-14 and R2-B1 were never short packed. They just shipped near the end of the E1 line. They were packed out at 4 per case of each. And the Naboo Royal Soldier and Guard were both packed out at 3 per case. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

darthzirock
12-19-2003, 03:57 PM
Until there's a definitive confirmation on these things, one way or the other, I'm not gonna get my boxers in a bunch over it. If it happens, it happens. If they are really cool-looking and that packaging is as collector-friendly as they are saying it will be, I might get these. However, if they look like garbage and are $12.99 a pop, they'll rot on the pegs for all I care. Heck, I'm still undecided about buying the animated Clone Wars figures! When I actually see them on the pegs--which hopefully will be soon in my neck of the galaxy--then I'll decide if they're worth $6.99 (and the hassle of trying to get them for only $4.79 because they won't have any pegs with $6.99 stickers for these things! :p ).

thespar
12-19-2003, 09:53 PM
I they put them out in limited number like Mattel did with he-man thet will be okay just make sure no areas got skipped in this. I myself own 5 of the he-man were with the lst set i had about 33 of them not counting accessories. Besides hasbro is doing it with the Transformers line but I like the orginals one better than some of the new ones the have made.