PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Bands?

evenflow
12-16-2003, 04:27 PM
This is always interesting. I figure if you can do a top 10, that woul dbe cool. Its usually harder than you think.

1. Guns N' Roses
2. Pink Floyd
3. Type O Negative
4. Lacuna Coil
5. Anathema
6. Opeth
7. Tool / A Perfect Circle
8. Black Sabbath
9. Down / Pantera
10. Black Label Society

Honestly, I am not even happy with this list because there ar emore that should be in there. Its tough. SO what are your favorites.

TheDarthVader
12-17-2003, 12:18 AM
1 NIRVANA
2. Counting Crows
3. Pearl Jam (mostly OLDER stuff)
4. Aerosmith
5. Guns N Roses
6. Bon Jovi
7. Gin Blossoms
8. Better Than Ezra
9. Collective Soul
10. Stone Temple Pilots

[DSS]Pedr0
12-17-2003, 12:43 AM
not in any particular order... And there is alot more i cant think of...
3rd Strike
American Head Charge
A Perfect Circle
Coal Chamber
Cold
Deftones
Disturbed
Dope
Drowing Pool
Dry Kill Logic
EARSHOT
Finch
Flaw
From Zero
Hatebreed
Ill Nino
In Flames
Killswitch Engage
Kittie
Korn
Lacuna Coil
Leisureworld
Lifer
Lollipop Lust Kill
Lost Prophets
Marilyn Manson
Metallica
Mudvayne \m/
Mushroomhead
Nonpoint
Nothingface
Pantera
Pillar
P.O.D.
Powerman 5000
Prodigy
RA
Rage Against the Machine
Rammstein
Saliva
Scars of Life
Sevendust
Shinedown
Slipknot
Smile Empty Soul
Snot
Soil
Staind (Early Stuff)
Static-X
Stone Sour
Switched
System of a Down
Taproot
Three Days Grace
Tool
Trust Company
unloco
Violent Work of Art
Within Temptation
Black Label Society

bobafrett
12-17-2003, 01:26 AM
Okay:

1) Rush
2) Pearl Jam
3) Puddle of Mudd
4) The Eagles
5) Fleetwood Mac
6) Metallica
7) Seether
8) Tesla
9) the Cars (old favorite)
10) 3 Doors Down

Not in that order:

Others; Bob Seger, No doubt, Queesryche, Tom Petty, Nickelback, Live and more!

arctangent
12-17-2003, 04:59 AM
it's very hard to narrow it down to ten and tomorrow the list would probably be different but for today:

ministry
nine inch nails
rush
pearl jam
glassjaw
pearl jam
therapy?
manic street preachers
opeth
tool

aaarrggghh. that was too hard and changed several times between me starting it and posting it. and it left no room for sabbath, zepplin, floyd, metallica ufo, live, emperor, thursday, alice in chains, soundgarden, kiss, anthrax, earthone9, funeral for a friend, future sound of london, danzig and many many more.

Pendo
12-17-2003, 05:15 AM
I don't really listen to music (apart from my Star Wars and Lord of the Rings CDs :crazed::p), but the only band I really like is "The Beautiful South" :D!

PENDO!

El Chuxter
12-17-2003, 01:16 PM
I'm in the "hard to rank 'em, and it'll change tomorrow," but if you ask me right now, here are my ten favorite performers (doing strictly bands is too hard) in no real order:

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
Aerosmith
Queen
Pete Yorn
Bruce Springsteen
Muddy Waters
the Beatles
John Mellencamp
Jimi Hendrix
Frank Zappa

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
12-17-2003, 07:37 PM
I can only think of 2 favs:
The Offspring
Treble Charger

evenflow
12-17-2003, 10:21 PM
Killswitch Enage Shadows Fall are the future of metal. They are so awesome and really nice guys. I have had the pleasure of hanging out with them. Blood Has Been Shed is also awesome. If you liek Killswitch try Blood Has Been Shed, Howard Jones is the singer for both bands.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-17-2003, 10:39 PM
Hm, in no particular order:

counting crows
pearl Jam
Sigur Ros
Air
Phish
Smashing Pumpkins (may they RIP)
Zwan (may they ALSO RIP)
Barenaked Ladies
Pete Yorn (rock on, el chuxter!)
radiohead
beatles
Beck
David Gray

some random electronica stuff whose name eludes me now. cheers! :D

Darth Jax
12-17-2003, 11:05 PM
1. METALLICA
2. anthrax
3. 311
4. Queen
5. L.A. Guns
6. the Who
7. Def Leppard
8. Lynyrd Skynyrd
9. Megadeth
19. Jimmy Buffett

#1 is always the same, never changes. the other 9 change places on a daily basis.

Deoxyribonucleic
12-18-2003, 12:43 AM
DSS Pedro, love the alphabetizing of the list...you definitely know what you like ;)

My fav is Cocteau Twins

Exhaust Port
12-18-2003, 10:36 PM
I'm suprised to see some of my favorites on other lists here:

1. Metallica
2. Rush
3. Alice in Chains
4. Mother Love Bone
5. Pink Floyd
6. Air
7. Smashing Pumpkins
8. Morcheeba
9. Pantera/Down
10. Faith No More

I reserve the right to mix up the list depending on my mood. :D

[DSS]Pedr0
12-19-2003, 12:36 AM
DSS Pedro, love the alphabetizing of the list...you definitely know what you like ;)

My fav is Cocteau TwinsMy list is actually longer since there are sooo many bands i like....those were the ones to stick out right away.

plasticfetish
12-19-2003, 04:53 AM
Not exactly in order, but close maybe ...

David Bowie
The Who
Johnny Cash (RIP)
Kraftwerk
Led Zeppelin
Radiohead
The Ramones
Devo
Moby
Dead Kennedys

...a few more...

David Byrne
AC/DC
Tom Waits
Air
Tubeway Army/Gary Numan
Roy Orbison
Queen
Blondie
The Kinks
Willie Nelson

Turbowars
12-20-2003, 02:10 PM
Godsmack
Disturbed
Foo Fighters
Nirvana
White Stripes
Nickel Back
No Doubt
Depeche Mode
Garbage
Queen
Audio Slave
Stone Temple Pilots
Sound Garden
Blink 182
Match Box
Nine Inch Nails
Marlin Manson
Emimem sp?
lots of 80's one hit wonders
The list can go on and on.

jedihunter25
12-20-2003, 05:04 PM
#1. Motley Crue - always been and always will since 1982
2. Van Halen
3. Pantera
4. Judas Priest

others in no patictular order-
Shotgun Messiah
Slayer
Metallica
AC/DC
Skid Row
Ozzy
Pretty Boy Floyd
Faster *****cat
White (not Rob) Zombie
Kiss
Danzig
Lynard Skynard
The Cars
Brides of Destruction (Nikki Sixx's & Traci Guns new band)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-28-2003, 10:28 PM
Here are 10 of my favorite bands in no particular order.

Genesis
The Beach Boys
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Tommy James & The Shondells
Crosby, Stills, & Nash (& Young)
The Rolling Stones
The Four Tops
The Rascals
The Temptations
Bruce Hornsby & The Range

Notice the lack of modern bands. There are though a few bands from this decade or the previous that I like including:

REM
The Tragically Hip
Third Eye Blind
Matchbox 20
U2

[DSS]Pedr0
12-28-2003, 11:57 PM
soemone showing their age?? :D

Turbowars
12-29-2003, 12:04 AM
Pedr0']someone showing their age?? :DYeah, I was thinking that's the stuff my dad loves. Not to say I don't like those bands, I do. I grew up listening to them, or should I say listening as background music when I was kid.:D

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-30-2003, 12:08 AM
Pedr0']soemone showing their age?? :D

Yeah, I was thinking that's the stuff my dad loves. Not to say I don't like those bands, I do. I grew up listening to them, or should I say listening as background music when I was kid.

Yeah, I always tell people I was born in the wrong decade. When I am driving the car with my friends or even with some family members, I always compromise by putting on a progressive rock or classic rock station when I yearn to put on other stations that I might get laughed at for listening.

BTW, I didn't put in any solo, individual singers because the question asked what are your favorite bands. If it did ask that question I would have added Billy Joel, Elton John, Marvin Gaye and John Mellencamp to that list.

Jayspawn
01-06-2004, 01:09 AM
The Beatles! The greatest band of all time.

arctangent
01-06-2004, 06:48 AM
The Beatles! The greatest band of all time.

average pop band, discovered halucinogenic drugs, went wierd, became average psychodelic band, split up. greatest band of all time? not in my opinion.

Jayspawn
01-06-2004, 11:45 AM
.....wrote and sang their own music, more recorded fans than any other group in history (Beatlemania), still have the highest tv ratings than any other television appearance (The Ed Sullivan Show, February 9th, 1964), part of the rock n' roll Hall of Fame as a group "The Beatles" and as solo artists, the 1st live radio preformance "All You Need Is Love" and influenced most every modern band and musician- famous or not.

Sorry arctangent, cant argue with history. lol

Turbowars
01-06-2004, 11:58 AM
average pop band, discovered halucinogenic drugs, went wierd, became average psychodelic band, split up. greatest band of all time? not in my opinion.Wow you just described every band out there.:stupid:

arctangent
01-07-2004, 05:49 AM
.....wrote and sang their own music, more recorded fans than any other group in history (Beatlemania), still have the highest tv ratings than any other television appearance (The Ed Sullivan Show, February 9th, 1964), part of the rock n' roll Hall of Fame as a group "The Beatles" and as solo artists, the 1st live radio preformance "All You Need Is Love" and influenced most every modern band and musician- famous or not.

Sorry arctangent, cant argue with history. lol

sorry, i can. just because a group has a massive following doesn't mean they are the best, just the most popular. the kinks were a better pop group and pink floyd were a better psychodelic group. there are loads of modern 'pop' groups who have massive amounts of fans and sell cartloads of cds - doesn't mean they are the best thing out there. so all history shows is that the beatles were more popular than most.

James Boba Fettfield
01-07-2004, 02:34 PM
I'm going with Metallica. Surprise, no?

The 'Xir
01-09-2004, 03:41 AM
Let's see. Hhhmmm. I didn't listen to anyone in paticular I like everything but when I was a kid, I just listened mainly to top 40 radio, but If I had to list anyone, it was Loverboy or Duran Duran who were my favs back then.

Middle School, my Fav was Bryan Adams

High School - Poison and Led Zeppelin

College - The Doors and Pink Floyd (and a local blues band named Los Blancos)

Now - I still listen to everything, and don't let the names above fool ya, 'cause I listen to everything in every genre, but my Favorite band nowadyas, is Radiohead, Radiohead, and I need more can't get enough of that Radiohead!!! :)
With honorable mention going to U2 and STP. But really if it's good music I'll listen to it!

The 'Xir
01-09-2004, 04:41 AM
sorry, i can. just because a group has a massive following doesn't mean they are the best, just the most popular. the kinks were a better pop group and pink floyd were a better psychodelic group. there are loads of modern 'pop' groups who have massive amounts of fans and sell cartloads of cds - doesn't mean they are the best thing out there. so all history shows is that the beatles were more popular than most.

mmmmm..nnooooooo.. Actually Elvis Presley, The Beatles and Led Zeppelin are like the Father, Son and Holy Ghost of Rock and Roll! They're the only bands with no real ties to each other that changed and defined how rock music is written, played, listened to and marketed! Everything else or every band thereafter has some how begged borrowed or stole from one of these three bands! I would put the Rolling Stones in as another possibility, but only in regards to writing! Lennon/McCartney and Jagger/Richards probably account for 25-35% of the written rock music from the 60's-80's(which is a huge body of work when you come to realize what that entails). But, once again The Stones mainly followed in the Beatles footseps to success, and why they don't belong in the "trinity"!
What about the Beach Boys you ask? Good Question! This is a unique quirk in the fact that they truely came up with there own sound and are truely innovators. However, the question to ask, to place them upon the holy throne is, "who did they influence?" Name another rock band that has had any success that the Beach Boys have influenced..? The only ones I can come up with are Jan & Dean, and Smashmouth. Although The Beach Boys are great they didn't really do anything to create Rock & Roll, they just carved there own niche in it!
Presley is The Originator. The Beatles changed the look(marketing) of Rock Music(hell you wouldn't have stadium shows if The Beatles didn't do it first or with the most success), and I already mentioned their writing contibutions; while Led Zeppelin is the Godfather of HardRock/Heavy Metal, and mainly changed how albums are recorded! In regards to Heavy Metal you might say, "well what about Black Sabbath?". Ozzy will tell you himself that the only reason he got into rock and roll, is because he saw what kind of success The Beatles had achieved, and being from the same area as them, it gave him hope that he could do it too!
The Kinks and Floyd, also get their influences from the Beatles!
Who knows, if Syd Barrett never would have died, we maybe talking about Floyd as orginators, but then again without Roger Waters direction, would we have ever had great albums Like 'Darkside of the Moon', and 'The Wall' with Syd Barrett in control? Probably not!

The problem with all of this, is that these three bands pretty much stole everything they did from early American Blues artists! So who's the best? Well, to avoid long heated debates, it's all a matter of opinion anyways, right?! So go with what you like! :)

browndroid
01-10-2004, 03:10 AM
well my personal fav would b blink 182, i also like luda and chingy though...

InsaneJediGirl
01-10-2004, 09:28 PM
Really in no particular order..

Metallica
Disturbed
Saliva
Ozzy / Sabbath
Aerosmith(Eariler stuff,the new is :dead: )
Staind(Eariler,Darker works)
Queen
The Eagles

Hits from the 80s are also my favorites,just too many bands to list.

bobafrett
01-11-2004, 02:17 AM
I picked up the Eagles "the very best of". It's good listening, and I have yet to watch the DVD that came with this two CD set. I used to have my dad playing the Hotel California on out trips north to his place in Wisconsin. I really loved their music, and I got to see them in concert 6 years back (approx). I'm always glad to see there are other yopunger Eagles fans (I assume you are younger then I, I.J.G.).

CropDuster
01-11-2004, 08:43 PM
Gn'Fn'R!!!
I like a lot of others, too; they're just my fav.

arctangent
01-12-2004, 07:31 AM
The problem with all of this, is that these three bands pretty much stole everything they did from early American Blues artists! So who's the best? Well, to avoid long heated debates, it's all a matter of opinion anyways, right?! So go with what you like! :)

you make some very good points xir, but i must take issue with you regarding pink floyd. they were writing and playing as a psychodellic band long before the beatles 'went wierd' and i can't see how the lyrics or music made by the band in the syd barrett era was influenced by the beatles. By the time the beatles went down that path, syd barret was well on the way to his lsd caused breakdown. i don't think we would ever have had dark side, wish you were here, the wall (my personal floyd fave) or the final cut if syd had not wigged out but then (and its only my opinion) floyd were, on the whole, a better band after he left.

you are quite right though, its all a matter of opinion and everyone's is equally valid because everyone has different tastes. its just that i really, really don't like the beatles music - it comes back to the old thing of you are either a beatles fan or a stones fan, but you can't be both!

Turbowars
01-12-2004, 07:22 PM
it comes back to the old thing of you are either a beatles fan or a stones fan, but you can't be both!What? I like both bands, well lets just say my parents listened to them and I was exposed to many types of music. Can't say I hate any music but Counrty and Gangsta Rap.

The 'Xir
01-14-2004, 01:38 PM
I must take issue with you regarding pink floyd. they were writing and playing as a psychodellic band long before the beatles 'went wierd' and i can't see how the lyrics or music made by the band in the syd barrett era was influenced by the beatles. By the time the beatles went down that path, syd barret was well on the way to his lsd caused breakdown.

The Beatles 'Please Please me' was released in 1963. Pink Floyds' 'Piper at the Gates of Dawn was released in 1965 their respective first albums! IMO the Beatles first non pop or odd albumn was Rubber Soul released in 1965, but they had 5 albums worth of music before then!
Beatles / Pink floyd
Rubber Soul '65 / Piper at the Gates of Dawn '65
Revolver '66 / Saucer Full of Secrets '68
Sgt. Peppers... '67 / Music from..:More '69
Magic Mystery Tour '67 / Ummagumma '69
The White Albumn '68 / Atom Heart Mother '70
Yellow Submarine '69 / Relics '71; Meddle '71

I don't think we would ever have had dark side, wish you were here, the wall (my personal floyd fave) or the final cut if syd had not wigged out but then (and its only my opinion) floyd were, on the whole, a better band after he left.
I don't know what your stating here, 'cause this is what I said in my post to you, so basically we agree, although I like Syd's stuff too, I just look at it as a different floyd era

It comes back to the old thing of your either a Beatles fan or a Stones fan, but you can't be both!
Hhhmmm...sucks to be that person! But I know I like both, although I'll admit the Stones had to grow on me, but I love 'em now just as much as the Beatles, or Zepp, or Floyd, or The Doors or any of the 60 & 70's greats! But then again as I've said before I like all music from Folk to Jazz, to Heavy Metal to Hip-hop and everything in between, as long as it rocks! ;)

arctangent
01-15-2004, 07:25 AM
The Beatles 'Please Please me' was released in 1963. Pink Floyds' 'Piper at the Gates of Dawn was released in 1965 their respective first albums! IMO the Beatles first non pop or odd albumn was Rubber Soul released in 1965, but they had 5 albums worth of music before then!
Beatles / Pink floyd
Rubber Soul '65 / Piper at the Gates of Dawn '65
Revolver '66 / Saucer Full of Secrets '68
Sgt. Peppers... '67 / Music from..:More '69
Magic Mystery Tour '67 / Ummagumma '69
The White Albumn '68 / Atom Heart Mother '70
Yellow Submarine '69 / Relics '71; Meddle '71

you are missing my point. floyd were always a psychodellic band. they played many shows at psychodellic clubs like the ufo in london long before they recorded a note many of which were just freeform psychodellic jamming. the beatles started off as a pure pop band and that is what they played. until they found the naughty drugs that made them wierd. floyd were always wierd.

Hhhmmm...sucks to be that person! But I know I like both, although I'll admit the Stones had to grow on me, but I love 'em now just as much as the Beatles, or Zepp, or Floyd, or The Doors or any of the 60 & 70's greats! But then again as I've said before I like all music from Folk to Jazz, to Heavy Metal to Hip-hop and everything in between, as long as it rocks! ;)

perhaps its a british thing. it has been a running joke in britain for many years that you can't like both bands equally! there was always a very big rivalry between the two with the beatles being nice, clean cut boys and the stones being badassed hardman rockers. its like mods and rockers. you couldn't be both.

The 'Xir
01-16-2004, 01:56 AM
perhaps its a british thing. it has been a running joke in britain for many years that you can't like both bands equally! there was always a very big rivalry between the two with the beatles being nice, clean cut boys and the stones being badassed hardman rockers. its like mods and rockers. you couldn't be both.

I think this exists or existed here in the States too, but I think more so during the height of the bands' careers! I don't know about you chaps o'er d'pond, but here in the states all the music from the 60's to late 70's is revered on American radio stations as classic rock, and it seems all the greats from that era are put into one supreme group of stars that for the most part everyone likes, respects or reveres equally! There are mainly 8 artists that are the pinnacle of 60's and 70's success here in America: The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Jopplin, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Pink Floyd, and The Who! Speaking of Mods vs Rockers, ya gotta love Quadrophenia!!! But hey, there are other great classic rock artists out there I know but these like I said are the pinnacle. Sometimes Stevie Ray Vaughn gets lumped in with this group because he definitely belongs as far as greatness goes, but he's an 80's guy so not quite classic rock!

Sidenote: Maybe it's a Syracuse thing(classic Rock(j/k)). I'm in Syracuse, New York and the Radio statios here are good but it's not a hugely diverse medium. But, I will say that the stations here are on the ball, or maybe just got lucky because when you type in www.classicrock.com you get Syracuse's TK99.
And then of all the hundreds of (modern Rock) K-Rock stations across the country(US) if you type in www.krock.com once again you get the local Syracuse 100.9 K-Rock station. I guess our radio execs were more on the ball, or just paid more money to get those sites, or as I said just got lucky! Go Fig!

arctangent
01-16-2004, 07:23 AM
radio in the uk is complete rubbish. most of the local and national radio stations just play the crap that is in the charts. there are just two national stations that play anything remotely resembling rock, classic or otherwise, and they stick to the obvious two or three tunes from most classic bands.

therefore i don't listen to the radio much (except for the sports stations). i much prefer to stick with my own collection of lp's, cassettes and cd's.

TheDarthVader
01-16-2004, 07:28 PM
Some more bands I would like to add to my list:

Queen
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Beck
Tom Petty
Led Zepplin
Pink Floyd
The Eagles
Bob Seger
(a little known band) 2 Skinnee J's

AND HOW COULD I OR ANYONE LEAVE OUT (SO FAR I THINK?):
CCR!!!!!!!!!!!

Kidhuman
01-18-2004, 10:38 AM
Well bands that rock................

Live, gotta love em.
Pearl Jam
STP
Nirvana
Floyd
Zepplin
Doors
Smashing Pumpkins
CCR
Grateful Dead
Beatles
The Who
U2
Soundgarden
Alice in Chains
Tom Petty

Huckleberry Josh
01-18-2004, 12:31 PM
Here are my favorites-Rage Against the Machine
Powerman 5000
Static-X
Orgy
MXPX
Skillet
Lost Prophets
Puya
East West

Bobajames
01-19-2004, 11:21 PM
my favorites are some punkish bands that I've found through people talking and such including
the Lawrence Arms
Against Me!
Hot Water Music
Alkaline Trio (gettin famous kinda)
and i also like a bunch of crap from the 80's and 90's, nothing on the radio though... they keep playing the same ten songs.

CaptainSolo1138
01-22-2004, 03:10 PM
I like Weezer, Dynamite Hack, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, and anything by Ice Cube (which one of these thing is not like the other), but my pick for favorite band is definetly the Bloodhound Gang.

IG-808
01-22-2004, 03:59 PM
My top 2 bands of all time are:

1. Fates Warning
2. Zero Hour

Here are the rest of my favs in no order:

Crimson Glory
Dream Theater
Queensryche (pre-Promised land era)
Lacuna Coil
Tool / A Perfect Circle
Death Machine
The Gathering

It is amazing to see so many people here into Lacuna Coil, they should be the ones having the success that Evanescence is having. I dig them too but not as much as LC.

The 'Xir
01-23-2004, 12:11 AM
lol LOL lol !!!! FATE'S WARNING!!!

Holy Christ, I didn't even know anyone else even knew who the helll they were let alone like 'em! Waaayy Back When, me and some buddies got back to my rents house after a night of drinking, 'course the rents weren't there, turned on Headbangers ball, and who pops up Fates Warning! We're like who the hell are these guys? Then proceeded to mock them as we raced around the house like rock stars in our drunken stoopers, doing idiotic things like sliding across the floor on our knees while air guitaring!!! What was worse is the song actually wasn't all that bad! Oh those were the dayzzz! :crazed:

arctangent
01-23-2004, 08:47 AM
It is amazing to see so many people here into Lacuna Coil, they should be the ones having the success that Evanescence is having. I dig them too but not as much as LC.

i am amazed that anyone in america has heard of laucuna coil. i agree they should be bigger than they are (although they are a fairly big 'cult' band in europe) they make beautiful music. the played a show in london just after christmas but as i was away, staying with my parents, i couldn't go which is a shame because they got very good reviews.

[DSS]Pedr0
01-23-2004, 09:06 AM
i am amazed that anyone in america has heard of laucuna coil. i agree they should be bigger than they are (although they are a fairly big 'cult' band in europe) they make beautiful music. the played a show in london just after christmas
They actually played here in the Chicagoland area and they jammed.

Huckleberry Josh
01-27-2004, 12:04 AM
I don't quite agree with some of Lacuna Coil's lyrics but their sound is awesome.I just bought comalies a couple of months ago and the sound is great.I don't care much for the guy singer but Christina Scabbia sounds great.And she's very hot to.She's like the hottest metal chik around if you ask me.They're like the only metal band I know of from Italy.That is that I know of.I'm sure there are more out there from Italy.