PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce Jango Fett?

Billiam86
12-03-2001, 08:37 PM
Is it JAY-ngo or YAY-ngo Fett?

Jargo
12-03-2001, 08:52 PM
I would have assumed that it was DJANN-GOE FETT. I used to study phonetics as part of my training as an actor but unfortunately I've forgotten all the bits and piecs for correct pronunciation of made up names. It's all about the dipthongs you see. You say the D and the J together so you get a DJ not a Y and the A is pronounced as in Apple so it's a small sounding A not a hard sounding one as in plAte or stAte. Jango like banjo only spelt differently................ ?!!!!:rolleyes: :stupid: :crazed: :p

Billiam86
12-03-2001, 09:33 PM
dude...soooooorrrrrry. Just wanted to know....good to see you welcome new people to this board so nicely...

JediTricks
12-04-2001, 12:32 AM
I think it's just gonna be "jang-go".

Billiam86
12-04-2001, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I think it's just gonna be "jang-go".

thank you, thats all i wanted to know

GNT
12-04-2001, 03:54 AM
I say it as "Jan - go" Fett :)

Rollo Tomassi
12-04-2001, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Billiam86
dude...soooooorrrrrry. Just wanted to know....good to see you welcome new people to this board so nicely...

What are you talking about? I think he answered your question very thoroughly and succinctly. When you say a word that begins with "J" there is a semi-silent "D" sound that proceeds it. Are you confused by the word dipthong? Did you bother to look it up? Your limited vocabulary is not Jargo's problem. You asked a question and he used his acting background and study of phonetics to give you a proper answer. You should be thanking him, not making snide comments.

JEDIpartner
12-04-2001, 09:01 AM
I didn't have a problem with JARGO's response either! I must admit I was taken aback by Billiam86's reply... I knew where JARGO was coming from... too bad Billiam86 wasn't able to make the distinction between a very intelligent explanation and a smarta** answer, which it clearly was NOT. :eek:

Jargo
12-04-2001, 09:14 AM
It certainly wasn't meant in any way shape or form to be aggresive or condescending. In actual fact it was a lame attempt at humour within a serious and boring response. If you reread the response you'll see that I'm actually poking fun at myself for giving you a kindergarten explanation instead of a serious adult correct explanation of the phonetics behind the word. Hope this response doesn't cause you to have a coronary Billiam86. :zzz:

Thanks guys :)

xboywonder
12-04-2001, 10:21 AM
I think Billiam86 was just looking for a fight all along...

Billiam86
12-04-2001, 12:02 PM
my apologies. I read it wrong and thought you were just messing around. I am truely sorry and did not mean to start a fight.

Jargo
12-04-2001, 07:56 PM
It takes a potato to start a fight with me.......... but that's a another story :D

Incidentaly, the pronunciation of Boba fett has always puzzled me.Mostly because I've heard it pronounced as BO-BER Fett and as BOBB-ER Fett I think harrison Ford refers to him as BO-BER in the movie but most folk over here use the other one. I suppose technically it should be BO-BER seeing as it only has the one B in the place of the second syllable, but According to all my English lessons both at school and at Theater school, With just one B it should be BOBB-AR which is just confusing. I think I'm right and no matter how many of you tell me how to say it, even if George himself comes online and says "Jargo, it's BO-BER" I'll still pronounce it the English way. :p :D :stupid: :crazed: As I keep saying - you foreign johnnies don't half talk funny!

Rollo Tomassi
12-05-2001, 10:45 AM
I pronounce it BOE-BAH (or BOW-BAH) but I can see how you might say BOB (like the name) - AH. What I don't get is the "R" at the end. His name's not Bobber Fett. I've never tossed an "R" on the end of his name, unless I was pronouncing it wrong on purpose.

Hey! How you doin'? Bob. Bob Fett, CPA. I sure am glad to be here at your little seminar..."

JEDIpartner
12-05-2001, 04:00 PM
G'day mate!

Apparently you awn't fameeliaw with that shahp Auzzie doyalict. Them Auzzies tind ta stick those pisky "R's" (pronounced "Ahhhz") at the ind of words loik "tuna" (often pronounced "Chooner") so don't git ya paints oll in a bahnch theeah. Jis rimembah oll iv the funny doyalicts we've got up 'round on this himispheah!!! ;)

no offense to my good pals down under. much respect!

Rollo Tomassi
12-05-2001, 10:13 PM
...the hell?!?! JARGO'S NOT AUSTRALIAN...HE'S BRITISH!!! Northern England, just south of the Scottish border, I believe.

geez, JEDIpartnr, you Canadians need to buy an atlas every once in a while...;) :rolleyes:

JediTricks
12-06-2001, 03:34 AM
Let's all be nice folks. I don't think Billiam86 was trying to be nasty, he said he misunderstood and he apoligized, so lay off. I bet all of us have jumped the gun from time to time, and since he's new, it's not like any of you have a clue as to what he was thinking.

Anyway, the "jan-go" issue is interesting because I think an Aussie might pronounce it that way, and if it's uttered at all in the film, it'll probably be uttered by an Aussie actor. However, I stand by my "Jang-go" simply because of the phonetics involved.

As for Jargo's "er"s, I've noticed that a lot with British actors, the first 2 seasons of Star Trek:TNG had Patrick Stewart calling Commander Data, especially when preceeding more words, "Mister Dater". ;) What's up with that? And why do the British also add the "h" sounds to things where they normally would be a silent "h" and vice-versa?

Jargo
12-06-2001, 04:54 AM
As an actor, The classical training that most schools adhere to in speech is given over to a large dose of phonetical schooling and lessons in 'recieved pronunciation' that is to say that an actor is taught to speak correctly according to the way the queen speaks.
The lessons include ways to roll an R and the right way to pronounce silent letters. how to use the voice in certain ways to alter the ways in which one speaks. Authoritative voice patterns and subduing voice patterns. and so it goes... Patric stewart uses the recieved pronunciation but at the same time he is actually attempting to modulate his accent to more American friendly vowel sounds and not doing terribly well. but then, he hadn't been made an honorary American back then had he :) listen to him now and he sounds quite different to the jean luc we first saw in that farpoint episode.

As to why british people add H's to words, well for some who don't got no learning like what the posh folk do, Adding an H is an attempt to ape the well spoken. Particularly this is common among the working class. but mostly you will find that those in the South are the more guilty of mangling the language.

It was Dater before it was Datter :p no actually you crazy yanks made it up and we just pronounce it using the weird and wacky topsy turvy rules we always have used when speaking , reading and communicating. A million years of using the language should make ours the correct pronunciation I feel:crazed:

I shouldn't really assume the mantle of ambassador and font of all things British when there's so many of my fellow countrymen who visit here who are just as eloquent :rolleyes: and can answer for themselves without my very vocal shoutings. but they never do strangely enough. I just say stuff until someone more qualified answers. please remember to take me with a pinch of salt most times. :D :crazed:

JEDIpartner
12-06-2001, 08:38 AM
Great Googly Moogly!

I was under the impression you were from down under!!! Well then... as my BRITISH friend, Peter would say to his 2 year old daughter...

"COME TO POPPER!"

:rolleyes:

Co Jo-Da
12-06-2001, 11:38 AM
JANG-GO is how I've been saying his name...

Jargo
12-06-2001, 02:52 PM
Exactamundo! Jango. As in Banjo - only spelt differently....... :D

Rollo Tomassi
12-06-2001, 06:03 PM
Ferget all that noise...the real question is how do you pronounce Temeura?

Jedi Clint
12-06-2001, 06:36 PM
That's "Temuera" ;)

Jargo
12-06-2001, 06:39 PM
I guess GNT would be the one to answer that as Temuera is from the Antipodes too. But thinking about how I've heard New Zealand Kiwis speak, I'd guess at it being TEM-uRR-a, or possibly t'MuRR-a. :D

Rollo Tomassi
12-06-2001, 06:50 PM
I agree with the second version -- t'MuRR-a.

Jargo
12-06-2001, 08:36 PM
oh. okay then.... :happy:

GNT
12-07-2001, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
G'day mate!

Apparently you awn't fameeliaw with that shahp Auzzie doyalict. Them Auzzies tind ta stick those pisky "R's" (pronounced "Ahhhz") at the ind of words loik "tuna" (often pronounced "Chooner") so don't git ya paints oll in a bahnch theeah. Jis rimembah oll iv the funny doyalicts we've got up 'round on this himispheah!!! ;)

no offense to my good pals down under. much respect!

You do know that we dont really speak like that :) :D Although the croc Hunter or whatever his name does talk like that, thats only because his a country guy

Anyway, the "jan-go" issue is interesting because I think an Aussie might pronounce it that way, and if it's uttered at all in the film, it'll probably be uttered by an Aussie actor. However, I stand by my "Jang-go" simply because of the phonetics involved.

You bring up a good point although they are said pretty much the same :) So I dont think I'll make a big difference

I guess GNT would be the one to answer that as Temuera is from the Antipodes too. But thinking about how I've heard New Zealand Kiwis speak, I'd guess at it being TEM-uRR-a, or possibly t'MuRR-a.

I'd say it as "TEM-uRR-a" but I havent really heard it as much as other actors in film :( and in case you are wondering his acting isnt as great as It could be (one of his movies was on here a few days ago,pretty bad)

And it case your wondering how you say Jay "Laga'aia" (Captain Typho) its said as Jay Lah-guy-ah :)

GNT
12-19-2001, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
Ferget all that noise...the real question is how do you pronounce Temeura?

Pronounce it as Tem-u-wear-a :)