PDA

View Full Version : Beggar's Canyon Podracing Set

shinakuma43
12-17-2003, 11:19 AM
I was just going through my playsets and getting ready to actually take some pictures for my site and discovered I somehow don;t have the Beggar's Canyon Podracing set. If anyone has an extra that they'd trade or sell please let me know (preferably boxed, but I'd settle for a loose one if I have to for now). I might have an extra Arch Canyon playset, but I'll have to double check to be sure, and I have plenty of other items that I could trade, but buying is perfectly fine with me as well. LMK.

Later,
S43

stillakid
12-17-2003, 11:40 AM
Do you mean the motorized racing one? With the tiny podracers? We used to have that, but we gave it away. It never worked right and was a pain the butt to store.

JediTricks
12-18-2003, 06:14 AM
No, Beggar's Canyon is a gravity-based set like the old Hot Wheels tracks where you C-clamped the top of the track to your table and sent vehicles down like a ski-jump. Uses the same podracer vehicles though.

A lot of folks had trouble with the motorized Boonta Eve Challenge set because they weren't clear enough on the use of those pesky vehicle frames. That made no sense to me, they have these vehicle frames that let the podracers blast through properly but only include 2 even though they made nearly 2 dozen podracers that could have gone with it.

I'm afraid I don't know where mine is S43, I bought it mega-cheap from etoys during their final days before shutting their doors, but I just stowed it in the closet until that got organized into a billion boxes. I'll keep a weather eye open for one though, they keep popping up occasionally at stores like Big Lots & KB Toyworx.

shinakuma43
12-18-2003, 11:09 AM
That for the info JT. Back when etoys was around I was only collecting Action Fleet so that's pretty much all I ordered (and to make it worse I was only collecting them boxed then so I only ordered one of each that they had and later had to pay a lot more to get thme loose). You say you've seen them at KB and Big Lots? How recently? The closest Big Lots is about an hour away from me and I haven't gone there in a couple years, not since the Flight Controllers with extra MMs were apparenlty showing up. I never got them there, but luckily Sicqnus helped me out a few months ago. I don;t even remember the last time I went to a Kay Bee. As far as I knew no Galoob Star wars items have been showing up anywhere so it's pointless for me to go to any stores, since that's all I collect. If I can get them cheap enough I'd get an extra of each set ot open, I've never seen the Boonta Eve opened up and would rather not open the only one I have.

Later,
S43

No, Beggar's Canyon is a gravity-based set like the old Hot Wheels tracks where you C-clamped the top of the track to your table and sent vehicles down like a ski-jump. Uses the same podracer vehicles though.

A lot of folks had trouble with the motorized Boonta Eve Challenge set because they weren't clear enough on the use of those pesky vehicle frames. That made no sense to me, they have these vehicle frames that let the podracers blast through properly but only include 2 even though they made nearly 2 dozen podracers that could have gone with it.

I'm afraid I don't know where mine is S43, I bought it mega-cheap from etoys during their final days before shutting their doors, but I just stowed it in the closet until that got organized into a billion boxes. I'll keep a weather eye open for one though, they keep popping up occasionally at stores like Big Lots & KB Toyworx.

stillakid
12-18-2003, 12:22 PM

I don't know anything about that Gravity based one you speak of.

The Boonta Eve thing only worked with the Podracers that came with it. We tried the others but the wheels weren't really built for it. The problem with the Boonta Eve idea was that there was literally no room for error in setting the speed. Too slow and your racer stalled out around a curve. Too fast and it would either jam up or fly off. I'm sure that this was the point, but to a kid, the frustration builds pretty fast. Instead of really racing a friend, you spend all of your time just trying to keep it going properly.

shinakuma43
12-18-2003, 12:53 PM
Someone just put up an auction for the Beggar's Canyon and Arch Canyon, unfortunately they dind;t include a buy now price so I'll have to wait 7 days to win it. Hopefully no one else decides to bid against me.

Later,
S43

JediTricks
12-19-2003, 03:08 AM
I'm afraid it's been about 6 months since I was last at either store. It wasn't a regular KB either, but a KB Toyworx (the chain's clearance store, if you can fathom the irony of a KB having a clearance store :D). I also spotted some of those Flight Controllers you speak of at that visit to Big Lots, stacked waaaay up above the other stuff and not even in the regular toy area.

Good luck on the auction.

I'm really surprised to hear that about the Boonta Eve set, the wheels on all my Podracers (including version 1 and 2 of the Build Your Own sets) are way nicer than most Hot Wheels'... er, wheels. Sucks about the motor not really allowing for error, that sort of thing should only be an issue on loops in a track IMO, and this set doesn't have one. Did it make a horrible sound while it was running?

stillakid
12-19-2003, 11:23 AM
Did it make a horrible sound while it was running?

Oh, yeah, that. I think I blocked it from my mind. I just think that they put form over function. With a track that complicated, the transporting mechanism has to work really well but it looked like they just yanked the motor device from the oval track toys and figured it would work just as well.

shinakuma43
12-22-2003, 03:17 PM
Just figured I'd let everyone know I now have the Beggar's Canyon set and so I don;t need it anymore. Well, I wouldn;t mind a loose Beggra's Canyon and I'd thne open my extra Arch Canyon and have thme both loose. I'm glad it turned out to be pretty simple to track down, I just ended my long search for the JC Penny's RC At-At and didn't want to go through that again, lol.

Later,
S43

JediTricks
12-23-2003, 02:14 AM
Congrats on the get.

I don't see anything special about either of the gravity track sets, certainly nothing beyond a $5 Hot Wheels track set; and from the sounds of Stilla's review, the Boonta Eve set sounds pretty bad. IMO, the podracers themselves are fun to roll on smooth surfaces, but tracks like these don't really reproduce what the pods were about.

shinakuma43
12-23-2003, 05:41 AM
Yeah, but they were Star Wars mcro machines items so I had to have them. The mini Heads, IMO, were a very bad idea but I still had to have them too.

Later,
S43

JediTricks
12-24-2003, 05:43 AM
But did you have to have a 2nd set loose? ;)

shinakuma43
12-25-2003, 01:47 AM
I actually want everything loose and boxed. The loose Mini Heads weren;t something I ever went out of my way to get, but I saw an auction for the Pizza Hutt sets for 15.00 so I got all them. I had the first 4 loose from winning other items wanted which also had them. So, I actually still need a loose Mini Heads set 7 to have them all loose and carded which I'll eventually have t get, hopefully it just comes to me though so I don;t have to search, lol.

Later,
S43

JediTricks
12-27-2003, 03:31 AM
I can't imagine wanting to have these track sets loose, and 99% of my collection is open! :D

shinakuma43
12-27-2003, 11:18 AM
I can't imagine wanting to have these track sets loose, and 99% of my collection is open! :D

Yeah, I just took another look at the back of the boxes and they look like they'd be too big to display, plus they look like junk anyways. Thanks for getting me to look again and saving myself the time and trouble of getting them loose. I guess I'd still like the podracers loose, but they are very far from my favorite items, I don't even have the podracer sets 1-4 loose. There's just something about them that I don;t like, lol.

Later,
S43

JediTricks
12-29-2003, 01:54 AM
The various podracers loose are neat, I have a couple sets of launchers with all of my loose pods, they're fun on the floor toys and they look interesting in comparison to standard Hot Wheels cars. I wish I had more Build Your Own sets though, they were neat too and I certainly could have used more color variations to make other combos.