PDA

View Full Version : sky captain and the world of tomorrow!!!

darthvyn
12-17-2003, 09:48 PM
saw the trailer with return of the king... this looks so cool! i can't believe i haven't heard anything about this yet! at first i thought it was an adaptation of "war of the worlds."

the cinematographic style looks like a live action max fleischer cartoon!

check out www.skycaptain.com

hopefully they'll get the trailer up soon...

holy crap!

Exhaust Port
12-18-2003, 01:06 AM
That does look cool!

jonthejedi
12-18-2003, 06:15 AM
The texture of the color & lighting in the trailer scenes I saw was unbelievable...it's Rocketeer X 20! I think because it's very 30's retro...people will either love it or hate it.

darthvyn
12-20-2003, 01:36 AM
well, the trailer is finally up on the site... or apple.com - you can get to it through the official site, though...

stillakid
12-20-2003, 04:33 PM
That is the coolest trailer I've seen in a long long time. Finally, something I can get excited about.

Iron Giant meets Leni Reifenstahl meets The Rocketeer. And take note of the DUNE Ornithopter influence...

I cannot wait! lol

darthvyn
12-20-2003, 05:54 PM
here's some more info on the movie...

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hp&cf=prev&id=1808466197&intl=us

Exhaust Port
12-20-2003, 08:37 PM
Wow, that looks just awesome! Tons of action and outstanding visuals. I love the theme of the movie not to mention the use of WWII aircraft with the P-40 Warhawks. :D

stillakid
09-16-2004, 08:34 PM
TOMORROW! :D

(boy, I hope this doesn't let me down)

darthvyn
09-16-2004, 09:17 PM
i'm gonna check it out on sunday (working all weekend...)

i can't wait!!!

Exhaust Port
09-16-2004, 09:22 PM
I was hoping to see this with the girlfriend tomorrow but she got called to work out of town for the weekend so I'm flying solo. I don't think I want to wait to see this so I'm planning on seeing it without her.

2-1B
09-17-2004, 03:56 AM
well, the trailer is finally up on the site... or apple.com

Gwyneth Paltrow's baby already has its own website ? lol

Iron Giant meets Leni Reifenstahl meets The Rocketeer.

So it's about Nazi robots with a crush on Jennifer Connelly ? lol

jonthejedi
09-17-2004, 07:23 AM
Just an F.Y.I...Best Buy has a dump of FREE Sky Capt. DVD's promoting the movie. The DVD contains the Full & Teaser trailers, a nice behind-the-scenes segment(boy, the music sounds Star Wars-esque), and a PC game. The sleeve has a 5.00 off rip-off coupon for Tomb Raider 1 & 2, M.I. 1 & 2, Sum of All Fears, Paycheck, Ghost In The Darkness, and The Talented Mr. Ripley.

stillakid
09-17-2004, 10:29 AM
So it's about Nazi robots with a crush on Jennifer Connelly ? lol

How could you go wrong with that combination? :cool:

El Chuxter
09-17-2004, 01:04 PM
But doesn't it go without saying that all beings, regardless of species, gender, or preference, have a crush on Jennifer Connelly?

I've been holding off on most movies in the theaters, given the turnaround time for DVD releases and the prices of DVDs vs tickets, but I hope to see this one on the big screen. Both my wife and I won these really cool t-shirts and movie posters at the Comic Con, and we've both been really looking forward to it, so I think there's a good chance. Besides, there's no new LOTR movie this season, so I guess the cost balances out.

Beast
09-17-2004, 02:59 PM
Well, I saw it this afternoon. Sorry to say that it's probably one of the worst movies I've seen this year so far. The visuals are nice, but they're so washed out to try to present it as a hand colored black and white film that I managed to get a headache fairly quickly. It does a good job of capturing what the idea of the 'future' would be in the 1930's, but sadly the movie ends up being fairly boring. The characters are less than 2-dimensional and there's no real motivation for anything that happens. It captures the 30's style and storytelling, but just none of the heart. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
09-17-2004, 06:16 PM
Well, I saw it this afternoon. Sorry to say that it's probably one of the worst movies I've seen this year so far.

This was a near perfect blend of a whole lotta different influences from Star Wars itself, to pulp fiction (the books, not the movie), to Indiana Jones serial films, to the Wizard of Oz (obvious parallels), to Rocketeer, to Iron Giant-like design...need I go on? Everything that Lucas himself did right (well, what he did with help from his friends in 1975) with Star Wars has been accomplished with Sky Captain. These kind of very fun and entertaining elements are brought together in an almost non-stop exciting story. The visual style itself lends itself extraordinarily well to the type of story being told. Instead of being a "gimmick," the filmmakers really took the process and made it blend seamlessly with the genre and story they set out to tell.

On the whole, really extraordinary. If only Lucas had a tenth of the energy left that Sky Captain exhudes, then the Star Wars saga might still be a resounding hit within the popular culture instead of being the embarrassment of his legacy.

I can't wait to see this again. :)

Turbowars
09-17-2004, 08:57 PM
Well there's defiantly 2 different reviews.:p It sure looks like crap to me though. :ermm:

Exhaust Port
09-17-2004, 09:20 PM
I just got back from seeing this and loved every minute! I loved both the stylization of the images as well as the stylized "future" world. It played out as if you are reading a 1940's comic book. The pacing of the story and action within followed what you would see in such a comic.

It's obviously set up as a possible series but I wonder if they could pull it off or if they are even interested. Unlike Indiana Jones that plays out against a real enemy (the Nazi's), in enemies in the SkyCaptain world aren't based in reality which gives them the flexibility of science fiction/historical fiction. Everything about the evil empire screamed NAZI which has always made for such great villians.

I would recommend this to those that enjoy 1950's or 60's scifi movies.

Did anyone else see the 1138? :)

Beast
09-17-2004, 09:29 PM
Glad to hear you liked it, EP. I wish it would have worked for me. But the visual style just gave me a headache. And it just felt flat and far too 2-dimensional in both acting and plot for me. Yep, caught the 1138... that was great. As for recommending this to fans of 1950's and 1960's sci-fi movies? I like those movies, this just didn't work for me. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
09-17-2004, 10:59 PM
Glad to hear you liked it, EP. I wish it would have worked for me. But the visual style just gave me a headache. And it just felt flat and far too 2-dimensional in both acting and plot for me. Yep, caught the 1138... that was great. As for recommending this to fans of 1950's and 1960's sci-fi movies? I like those movies, this just didn't work for me. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Well, this just happens to be a Star Wars centered website therefore I felt it relevant to tie this topic into that

As far as the references go, I was being intentionally simplistic in my comparisons. :rolleyes:

In general, from the reviews I've been reading, people either "get it" and love it, or don't get it and are hating it. Either way, I want to know when the toys come out! :D

I missed the 1138 but I'll get another few shots at it I'm sure. :classic:

jonthejedi
09-18-2004, 07:59 AM
It certainly looks like another franchise for Paramount(they need one). Indy 4's in limbo again, Star Trek's waining, and maybe a third Tomb Raider. I was fooled by the WOT subtitle until I saw the movie. I loved it overall..the homage/mix of Indy Jones/Rocketeer/Ray Harryhausen/Lost World/King Kong/Tracy & Hepburn/Wizard of Oz. I found the pacing to be breathless, and the sepia tone visuals retro-stunning(reminded me of old Max Fleisher Superman cartoons). Only complaint was not enough Frankie. Loved the music...listening to the soundtrack right now as I type. Here's looking at you, Capt. Are there going to be toys?

jonthejedi
09-18-2004, 08:02 AM
For those who loved(and got) it...just a reminder to grab your free Sky Capt. DVD at Best Buy stores.

Exhaust Port
09-18-2004, 09:36 AM
Speaking of King Kong, the sunken ship that they "fly" by on the way to the island was ship the scientists took to Kong Island in the movie King Kong. The name Ventura is clearly written on the hull.

Also, my dad said that in several early NYC scenes you catch of glimps of King Kong climbing the ESB. How cool's that?

Now I really want to go and see the movie again and look for references to 1930-40 pop culture. :)

stillakid
09-18-2004, 10:03 AM
For those who loved(and got) it...just a reminder to grab your free Sky Capt. DVD at Best Buy stores.

I didn't see any at my local store. Where do they keep them?

darthvyn
09-18-2004, 07:42 PM
the cinematographic style looks like a live action max fleischer cartoon!

and the sepia tone visuals retro-stunning(reminded me of old Max Fleisher Superman cartoons)

cool! i'm glad it still maintained that look! i can't wait to see it (tomorrow!!!)

Are there going to be toys?

that would be cool. i was always looking for a good toy of the iron giant, but nothing ever was that great. do you think anything is marketable in the movie?

darthvyn
09-19-2004, 07:49 PM
well, just got back a couple of minutes ago!!! it was awesome! i don't see much marketability for toys, but it would make a super cool video game!!! imagine a flight sim where you fight those types of robots and even go under the water??? that would be insane!

and i caught the 1138 - pretty easily, but didn't see any king-kong, thought the ship 'venture' was easy to spot...

Exhaust Port
09-19-2004, 10:03 PM
Toys could be tough but not impossible. You could have a dicast vehicle/robot series:

P-40 Warhawk
B-24 Liberator (on the base)
Aerial/Underwater Fighter
Hover Car
Large Robots
Robot Guards
Scavenger Robots (the ones roaming through the hangar)
Miscellaneous robots from the Island
Flying Robot Fighter
Rocket Ship

Then there is the ultra cool Ray Gun! :D

jonthejedi
09-20-2004, 05:24 AM
Stillakid...the free Sky Capt. DVD's at my Best Buy were in a free standing skinny cardboard dump, located in the aisle between the DVD section & the CD's. This is usually where they put the big dump displays for new releases.

derek
09-23-2004, 05:40 PM
i saw it today........pretty good movie...i just wish they would of made it in regular color. that black and white and "colorized" stuff was annoying.

i was suprised there was no aliens involved, just a crazy old scientist and some robots he built.

and that patch over anjelina jollie's eye has to go! lol

this definately should of been marketed as a summer flick. :confused:

stillakid
09-23-2004, 06:56 PM
ithis definately should of been marketed as a summer flick. :confused:

I was just saying the same thing to my brother last night. He wasn't going to see it because of all the "bad" reviews it's getting. My theory is that the critics are in "Fall" mode and are geared to see "Oscar" movies...you know, the weepy serious ones. Sky Captain is definitely not that. Oh, well, you can't please everybody. :ermm:

Rocketboy
09-24-2004, 11:22 PM
Finally got a chance to see it tonight and loved it!

Caught the 1138 reference easily, but did anyone notice the other smaller Star Wars reference?
When Joe lands on Frankie's ship, they give him permission to land on platform 327.
Nice touch.

RooJay
09-27-2004, 04:57 PM
This movie is awesome! Watching it made me feel like I was a kid again, and it really made me feel like I was seeing something totally new and fantastic - a feeling I've not had in a long time! I only wish more people were going to see it - it's box office take has been far less than stellar, which doesn't bode well that it'll make back it's money in theaters and could mean that we'll never see a sequel. :cry: I really had high hopes for this one, and it didn't disappoint. I was really hoping for a good, long running franchise, or at least a solid trilogy.
I really don't understand any of the criticisms that have been made about the movie. It was everything it could've and should've been, in my opinion. It had a good enough plot and the characters were plenty interesting - I'm dying to see more of Joe's adventures, more of his operation, and more of his allies. There's plenty of opportunity here for some great adventures and plenty of cool characters! To be fair, I've actually read very few negative reviews, and most of them seem to say the movie is at least a pretty decent popcorn flick. One of the most ridiculous things I've read in one of the negative reviews was criticism that "the giant robots only show up for a few minutes and then just disappear for the rest of the movie", as if the movie were supposed to be about the giant robots, and that the fact that they don't appear throughout the rest of the film is some sort of unforgiveable glaring omission! By the way, for those who haven't seen it yet, there are plenty of giant robots throughout the movie even if not the exact same ones that were featured in the trailer.
I'm thinking the promotional campaign for the movie is really to blame for it's lackluster box office performance. It really should've rated a much better push. Surely there should've been a fast food tie-in of some sort - collectors cups and glasses, kids meal toys, somekind of sweepstakes or contest, and there most certainly should have been planty of toys. Where are the Sideshow 12 inch figures? The license should've been right up their alley. Plus, seems like there's plenty of opportunity for 3 3/4 inch figures with plenty of planes and big robots, and a line of smaller scale vehicles would've been fantastic! And just where exactly is the video game?! Seems like Sky Captain was made for just such a thing, and there could've been some digital greatness to be had there. Not even a t-shirt to be had at the stores. Shame I say!
I'm dying to see it in theaters again, and it'll definitely have a position of honor in my DVD collection. I only wish I could get more people to see it! 'd love to get a chance to see just where exactly Sky Captain gets all of his funding, and I'm sure he's got a lot more friends he can call on when the stakes get high...

Hellboy
09-27-2004, 06:12 PM
I didn't really think the film was that great. Don't get me wrong it wasn't bad I just didn't find myself getting into the simplistic story. After hearing people compare it to Raiders of the Lost Ark I expected it to be a bit deeper in terms of plot and have a more high adventure feel to it. As far as the visuals go they were ok I suppose but the bronze washed out look didn't have the impact that full color would have had on me. The setting was probably my favorite part and reminded me alot of the Crimson Skies video game on the Xbox.

stillakid
09-27-2004, 06:43 PM
This movie is awesome! ...

I agree 100% with everything you said. :) The sad thing is that A) no toys and B) probably no sequel. :cry:

derek
09-27-2004, 07:18 PM
Where are the Sideshow 12 inch figures? The license should've been right up their alley.

sideshow said they went after this film, but jude law and paltrow wouldn't grant likeness rights.

http://p078.ezboard.com/fsideshowfreaksfrm7.showMessage?topicID=858.topic

stillakid
09-27-2004, 07:43 PM
sideshow said they went after this film, but jude law and paltrow wouldn't grant likeness rights.

So don't make the toys look like them. What's the problem? :confused: They could easily make "generic" characters in those costumes. Paltrow isn't all that hot anyway and Law is pretty plain looking himself. Who'd know the difference?

What we really want are the robots and "stuff" anyway. Who do I call about this? :mad:

JediTricks
09-27-2004, 09:36 PM

Someone should at least make toys of the vehicles, they were pretty cool.

So I caught the film this weekend at a fairly full Saturday afternoon show at the local theater. I thought the film was pretty entertaining, great big-screen material, and didn't have too many fx issues (the cars all generally looked fake and the bluescreen work had lighting issues on the actors occasionally where the light on them didn't match the scene, not as bad as the Rancor Pit scene but still...). The film wasn't Raiders or SW or even Back to the Future or Batman (1989) in that I didn't come out of the film feeling really excited and energized, but I did enjoy it and felt it was a good film worth seeing more of. I think part of the problem that kept it from being in that top league was that it was TOO close to those old serials, thin plots and barely-characters, which is fine if played with just right, but always needs a little more support from pacing which this film felt a little slow on (not bad, just not incredible). Also, I'd say that if we're supposed to have Sky Captain be the hero, maybe he should be a little stronger of a character, he's supposed to be a strong '40s hero yet Jude Law played him a little too sensitive and mild at times (which could have worked with some additional help from the writing).

They did a good job of globetrotting adventure and even gadgetry, heck even the motives of the villain were solid for the genre (which is more than I can say for a lot of the pictures these things are based upon), so I think a sequel could really flesh out the small issues this picture had and make an amazing continuation.

RooJay
09-28-2004, 02:30 AM
Now I wish I really didn't know that Sideshow tried to swing the license. How disappointing! :dis: :dis: :dis: :dis:

Speaking of the films fx - remember that there were almost no practical sets built for this movie. Nearly everything all of the scenery and vehicles seen onscreen were created in the computer! The actors did their acting almost completely in front of a green screen!

derek
09-28-2004, 06:53 PM
So don't make the toys look like them. What's the problem? :confused: They could easily make "generic" characters in those costumes. Paltrow isn't all that hot anyway and Law is pretty plain looking himself. Who'd know the difference?

What we really want are the robots and "stuff" anyway. Who do I call about this? :mad:

i don't think that is sideshow's style.:) they let hasbro make figures that look nothing like the actors! :D of course even they can't even get some sculpts right that they do try to make look just like the actors. lol (see the eliza dusku sculpt as an example)

dragon already has an awesome unauthorized jude law sculpt thought if sideshow were to take your advice. ;)

Exhaust Port
09-28-2004, 09:03 PM
I went and saw the movie for the second time this evening. The girlfriend still hadn't seen it so I figured she'd like it and she sure did. :)

I was able to spot King Kong. During the invasion of the large robot in NYC there are 2 shots where King Kong is visible. Specifically, when the group of 10 robots are walking down the road and Joe splits them with his P-40 and deploys the cable across the street to stop them walking forward. There are 2 shots after that where you are looking across the 9 remaining robots (after the one falls) at robot head height. In distance the Empire State Building is visible in the background down the road and King Kong is seen atop the building. Pretty cool. :)

Something else I noticed which is a result of CGI.... The windows in the large Sky Captain hangar are weathered (ie a few panes are missing from each window) but each large window has the exact same panes missing. Not only is this for the distant windows but also for the close-up shots of the opening hangar doors as Joe pulls up in his P-40.

I still enjoyed the movie the second time. It's worth seeing again to give you time to look at the scenery. I'm looking forward to watching this on DVD so I can slow down the dogfight in Manhattan to look at the details on the buildings and cars.

darthvyn
09-28-2004, 11:25 PM
hopefully it will be a cult hit on dvd, which could spawn interest in a sequel...

one thing that confused me... the supposed timeline. it takes place in (i believe) 1919, yet here we have the "hindenburg III" (the original blew up in 1937,) the empire state building - which was completed in 1931, and p-40's, which were only even tested in 1939. now, of course i know we didn't have huge robots in either the 20's or 40's, but i specifically remember them saying what year it was, and that's my point... they should've left it without any point of reference as to what year it was completely. this way, it could've been the 40's, it could've been the 20's, or it could be 10 years from now, in an alternate universe.

my one and only nit-picky complaint with this flick. otherwise, awesome.

stillakid
09-28-2004, 11:31 PM
hopefully it will be a cult hit on dvd, which could spawn interest in a sequel...

one thing that confused me... the supposed timeline. it takes place in (i believe) 1919, yet here we have the "hindenburg III" (the original blew up in 1937,) the empire state building - which was completed in 1931, and p-40's, which were only even tested in 1939. now, of course i know we didn't have huge robots in either the 20's or 40's, but i specifically remember them saying what year it was, and that's my point... they should've left it without any point of reference as to what year it was completely. this way, it could've been the 40's, it could've been the 20's, or it could be 10 years from now, in an alternate universe.

my one and only nit-picky complaint with this flick. otherwise, awesome.

I was trying to explain this time thing with my brother who hasn't seen the film yet. The best I could do was to say that this is the future that they promised us, but at the time when the promises were being made. Make sense? In other words, they took all the "cool" stuff that visionaries of the time imagined and made them real things. So it's kind of our world...but not. Like an alternate universe of dreamed possibilities.

Exhaust Port
09-29-2004, 08:53 AM
It's suppose to take place in the late 1930's. When they are in Dr. Totenkopf's office at the end of the film and they find his last journal entry from 1918 (or there about) and Dex makes a comment that it was over 20 years ago putting them in the late 1930's.

I see this as being a film that would have been made in the early 1930's but set about 10 years in the future. The P-40 was only a prototype by 1938 but was actually a evolutionary development of earlier Curtiss aircaft from the early to mid-1930's. So this historical movie time would have seen it as a future of military fighters even if it was only a drawing to them. The only thing they "erased" from their present and future was the Nazi party and their conquests. By the time this movie would have taken place a good part of Europe would have been overrun by Hitler and Co. I don't mind such an omission.

A small nit-pick in dialog. When Polly is talking to Dr. Vargas in Radio Music Hall he states that after the "First World War" he was interned with the other scientists by Dr. Totenkopf. First World War?? Um, they only referred to that war as WWI after they had the second one in the late 1930's.

Something else I noticed was when they were showing the front pages from across the globe as they covered the worldwide attacks by the flying machines is that there was a shadow of Godzilla shown in the picture on the Tokyo paper. :)

JediTricks
09-29-2004, 10:49 PM
I think we're supposed to believe that the movie took place in '39, besides the "twenty years later" line, there were 2 theaters in New York showing movies: Wizard of Oz and Wuthering Heights, both were released in 1939.

darthvyn
09-29-2004, 10:57 PM
for some reason, when in totenkopf's office, i thought he had said it was five years ago... i don't know. :confused:

RooJay
09-30-2004, 02:15 PM
I don't recall hearing any indication in the movie that WWII had not taken place. In fact, I seem to recall the distinct understanding that it had happened - if even differently than in real life (this is quite obviously revisionist history and therefore should be seen as having no bearing on real world history; it's obviously not meant to fit in with our real world in any sense), and that the events in the film take place sometime after that conflict. Perhaps Sky Captain had something to do with how the war ended up in his world; perhaps it has something to do with how he gained his unique position.

As far as Godzilla is concerned, it's obvious that in this world he does exist and was obviously involved in battling Totenkopf's giant robots in Tokyo. You know how the big guy's always involved when giant things attack his home turf.

...I bet Sky Captain is a member of his era's League (without possibly drawing any connection to that awful movie version, I'm sure someone out there will know what I mean! ;) )...

JediTricks
09-30-2004, 10:30 PM
BTW, did anybody else notice the Titanic coming down underwater, or Atlantis as they were about to go through the tube? I haven't heard anybody mention those, but I missed a lot of this thread because I wanted to stay spoiler-free.

stillakid
10-01-2004, 12:09 AM
I'm going to see it again tomorrow with my son and his friend. Thanks everybody for all the stuff to see. I missed most of it the first time around. :)

Exhaust Port
10-01-2004, 04:41 PM
I only guessed that WWII hadn't happened by the cars used and use of the Zepplin. Everything shown indicates the 1930's or early 1940's. Obviously the world wasn't at war during the movie and Germany existed (not as a West and East Germany post-WW2). It appears as if it's a 1940's world invision at a point from the last 1930's.

With that being said, Polly recounted how she and Joe met which was during his involvment with the Flying Tiger's unit as they fought in China which is clearly a period of WW2 (pre-US involvment).

I guess it boils down to a movie that uses the 1930's genre to tell a story without getting caught up in historical accuracy. Whether a war existed didn't change the story so I'm willing to forgive the writer inconsistancy (but I'll admit it's fun to notice those errors) :)

Something else I noticed of interest was the sound of "lasers" shooting from the eyes of the robots as they invade the city is the same noise used for the beams of light coming from the alien spaceships in the War of the Worlds. Nice use of old sci-fi sounds.

stillakid
10-02-2004, 12:56 AM
Okay, I got to see this again this afternoon. I don't remember the exact dialogue, but the time period is definitely in the early 40s. WWI is mentioned, but nothing about II. But yeah, this is some kind of "alternate universe" where some actual historical references are made but other things are left out. It's all in good fun! :D

As far as all that background stuff goes (ie King Kong), how on earth did you guys see any of that. I missed it the first time around as I was concentrating on the foreground, but even looking around the screen this time, I failed to see any of the other stuff that has been mentioned.

Exhaust Port
10-02-2004, 08:22 AM
I was really looking for King Kong so any scene in NYC that included the Empire State Building I was looking in the background. As each other scene appeared I gave the background a quick once over after that.

B'Omarr Monkey
10-02-2004, 11:28 PM
I finally got to see it today, and was blown away. It was like someone made a movie just for me; giant robots, WWII era aircraft, the SHIELD helicarrier, dinosaurs, dragons, lost cities, 1950s rockets, Angeline Jolie in a jetpack and bubble helmet.

I skipped this thread until after I saw it so as to remain spoiler free. I actually spotted everything but Kong himself. I even liked the log from Kong and 1950s-60s dinosaur movie "giant monitor lizard." I'm glad someone else heard the "permission to land on platform 327" because I thought I might have been hearing it wrong. If it hadn't been for me wondering about whether the 1138 was on purpose, or just coincidental, I might have missed the Cloud City line entirely. I was a bit surprised there was no Yeti, though I wouldn't be surprised if there was one, and it was just not where my eyes were focused.

As for the time period, they definitely mention it being 20 years after the journal entry, and like, I think it was JT, said, the Wizard of Oz and Wuthering Heights were both 1939. There is no WWII, otherwise the Hindenberg would not be docking atop the Empire State Building, though there clearly must have been some sort of recent conflict since everyone responded to the air raid sirens as if they were a matter of daily experience.

I really hope that there is another one of these, though they seemed to have squeezed every pulp magazine, comic book and serial of the era into this one, so I'm not sure what would be in the sequel. I hope I get to find out though.

stillakid
10-03-2004, 01:10 AM
I really hope that there is another one of these, though they seemed to have squeezed every pulp magazine, comic book and serial of the era into this one, so I'm not sure what would be in the sequel. I hope I get to find out though.

I felt the same way about THE FIFTH ELEMENT. While the story in that film needed a little work, I fell in love with that universe and always hoped that someday we could revisit it in some way. SKY CAPTAIN is no different. It's a cool place to be for a couple of hours. I'd like to go back to what else is just offscreen. :cool:

Rocketboy
10-03-2004, 01:10 AM
I'm glad someone else heard the "permission to land on platform 327" because I thought I might have been hearing it wrong. If it hadn't been for me wondering about whether the 1138 was on purpose, or just coincidental, I might have missed the Cloud City line entirely. I was surprised nobody else mentioned it before I said something. I though it was just as obvious as the 1138.
Did you guys not notice that one?

Exhaust Port
10-03-2004, 02:31 PM
I didn't notice it the first time but caught it the second time around.

Another indication that the thought of WWII had been erased was that the Hindenburg III didn't have the Nazi marks on it as did the original Hindenburg.

B'Omarr Monkey
10-03-2004, 11:43 PM
Another indication that the thought of WWII had been erased was that the Hindenburg III didn't have the Nazi marks on it as did the original Hindenburg.

Not to mention the fact that there was a Hindenberg III, or even a Hindenberg II. That was the clue right off that this was not our universe.

B'Omarr Monkey
10-03-2004, 11:53 PM
I felt the same way about THE FIFTH ELEMENT. While the story in that film needed a little work, I fell in love with that universe and always hoped that someday we could revisit it in some way. SKY CAPTAIN is no different. It's a cool place to be for a couple of hours. I'd like to go back to what else is just offscreen. :cool:

This is exactly why I became such a SW fan in the first place. Even when the stories don't deliver, the universe the movies are set in is so rich with details and well designed, that I want to explore it all. It was the first SF movie I saw that actually looked lived in. I think it's because of these factors that I'm dying for Hasbro to make every single background character. It's a way of getting closer to those glimpses into the larger Universe, and to really get to hold it in your hand and give it a good looking over.

Exhaust Port
10-16-2004, 09:18 AM
I see that Paramount is hoping to release Sky Captain on DVD on 1/25/05. I can't wait.

Rocketboy
10-16-2004, 01:08 PM
Wow. About 4 months after the theatrical release. Now that is fast!

B'Omarr Monkey
10-17-2004, 05:01 PM
"Hero" comes out in November, and granted it is 4 years old, but just received its big U.S. release a few weeks ago. Pretty soon, we'll be able to watch a movie in a theater, then, if we like it, we can walk out of the theater, into Best Buy and bring it home the same day on DVD.

stillakid
10-17-2004, 07:53 PM
"Hero" comes out in November, and granted it is 4 years old, but just received its big U.S. release a few weeks ago. Pretty soon, we'll be able to watch a movie in a theater, then, if we like it, we can walk out of the theater, into Best Buy and bring it home the same day on DVD.

More and more, studios have the DVD ready to go at the exact same time as the theatrical release. So if they really really wanted to, you could have the DVD the same day you see the movie at the theater.

Exhaust Port
10-17-2004, 09:25 PM
Soon the day of the theater will be only a memory except for a few art houses.

Rocketboy
10-17-2004, 11:56 PM
Maybe next we'll get it before the movie is even finished...just like in Spaceballs!

B'Omarr Monkey
10-18-2004, 11:38 PM
To be followed by the Live Animation Channel, where you can watch your favorite cartoons as they are being made!