PDA

View Full Version : Transformers Alternators

El Chuxter
12-19-2003, 02:51 PM
I scored the new Alternators Smokescreen last night, and am quite impressed. A worthy update of the classic character. Sure, they changed the coloration, but they kept the ridiculous emergency light on the top, which was an unexpected nice touch.

Transformation is very similar to the original, but far more intricate. It took me over ten minutes to figure him out, and the wordless instructions are little help. The articulation is excellent, and the price ($19.99) is a steal given the size increase over the original, inflation, and the quality.

I understand VW refused to license the New Beetle for Bumblebee, but hopefully sales (and renewed interest as the buildup for the film begins) will make them reconsider.

But Sideswipe and Hound are on the way, and I believe these are properly scaled to go with the 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime that no male geek will possibly pass up. Maybe this is the TF equivalent of the collector-based 12" GIJoes.

Primus knows they beat the crap out of anything Beast Wars, Armada, Robots in Disguise, or Energon. :)

Adam
12-19-2003, 08:45 PM
I just wish I could find them.

And whatchya talkin' bout "emergency light" on top? Smokescreen doesn't (and shouldn't since he's a stock car) have emergency lights.

JediTricks
12-19-2003, 10:42 PM
I believe he's actually a rally car, not a stock car, but neither would have an emergency light on top that I know of.

Adam
12-20-2003, 10:08 PM
Rally. Stock. Same difference to me.

JediTricks
12-22-2003, 03:07 AM
Yeah, let's see a WRX out on the track at the next NASCAR race and see how well it fares against the rest of the pack. ;)

Adam
12-23-2003, 12:23 AM
:p

I didn't mean it like that. I mean I didn't care. :crazed:

Anyway, I got Smokescreen tonight and WOW!! Best transformers ever! (Untill MP Prime)

smurfvader
01-07-2004, 04:09 PM
Is the Smokescreen a Target exclusive? Someone asked me to pick it up if I saw it, but I only saw it at WM. He thinks it's a Target Exclusive, because that's where everyone seems to be finding him.

jiM

El Chuxter
01-07-2004, 04:59 PM
I don't think they're exclusive to Target, but that seems to be the only place anyone's finding them. I understand that Sideswipe was recently found at a Target as well, so keep your eyes peeled. :)

Of course, practically everything TF seems to be exclusive of late, so I could be wrong.

From what little I hear about Transformers (I defer to Adam and JT on this subject; no matter how many vintage toys and comics I have, I know little of the new figures), the American version of the 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime is only expected to ship to Target (for $50) and TRU (for $75).

And as for the "emergency light" comment earlier. . . uh, um, I must've confused him briefly with either Prowl or Red Alert. D'oh!!

JediTricks
01-08-2004, 01:55 AM
He's not a Target exclusive, it's just that TRU and WM aren't putting them on shelves as fast or aren't shipping as many to stores - I have heard sightings from all 3 major chains.

Chux, rumor has it that TRU will get Masterpiece Prime first for a month or more at $75, and then Target and maybe others will get it at $60.

So I finally got my Smokescreen tonight, yay! The hip articulation is not quite as good as what Chux leads us to believe and the shoulders are a little limited, but this is still an awesome figure. Transformation is a tad complicated, transformation back is even worse. Most folks have trouble with the legs, but except for some minor adjusting at the end, these are similar enough to RID X-Brawn that I was already used to how to transform back. The area I have the most trouble is getting the arms in and out of the front end.

Oh, and a couple weird things, his gun accessory's hinge doesn't take to being transformed, it pops halfway out. And a friend of mine confirmed this on his Binaltech (the Japanese version) of this figure, the right doors don't align properly in alt-mode just like the ones on this Alternators version don't - it's fairly slight, but apparently there's just some wonkiness here that keeps this side from lining up properly even when the left side is perfectly aligned.

kool-aid killer
01-08-2004, 09:45 AM
I passed him up two weeks ago due to lack of cash and now i cant find this booger. Heres hoping he pops up soon at Walmart so i can score one. I think he looks awesome in his vehicle mode.

JediTricks
01-11-2004, 07:31 PM
Woo! A Mazda RX-8 is the next Alternators figure, it's on the Mazda website! http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/NA_Autoshow/frameset.html

This looks pretty cool, but I think it's only CGI. Also, the transformation looks almost identical to Smokescreen except the hands stow backwards instead of forwards and there is no apparent interior.

I saved the shockwave files on this to my harddrive. :D

Adam
01-12-2004, 09:43 PM
I'm still trying to figure out who it will be.. the head reminds me of Jazz, and there's no gaurantee the final product will be red..

kool-aid killer
01-13-2004, 11:09 AM
I liked how it looked. I would prefer seeing him in blue, but i think red is the most likely color he will come out in. Thanks for the cool link JT.

aharry
01-13-2004, 09:40 PM
Jazz would be cool, hope that they change the color. I saw some Smokescreens at Wal-Mart today for $19.87 or something like that, about the same as Target. The same Wal-Mart had the plan-o-grams out in the aisles and saw that they will have their own shelf space. I haven't collected Transformers since the 80s but these are starting to win me over.

kool-aid killer
01-14-2004, 10:08 AM
I was thinking about this while at work yesterday, but do any of you think that these Alternators could be who we see in the rumored Transformers movie?

Adam
01-14-2004, 10:29 PM
It could happen. And its not a rumor. ;) The producers have said they are looking mainly at the original TF's (G1) so it could be a "period" peace set in the eighties. :D

Oh, yesterday I got my Takara Master Peice Optimus Prime from BBTS. And he's pretty much the greatest action figure ever.

gambitguru
01-17-2004, 09:44 PM
hi guys, i just got the new wrx smokescreen and i was wondering if i should open it or not because if its value and rarity would go up, what do you guys think i should do, open it or keep it closed?:neutral:

Adam
01-17-2004, 10:00 PM
Well first, Smokescreen is a WRC, not X.

There's no way to tell of his future value or rarity, so you'll have to decide for yourself.

kool-aid killer
01-18-2004, 01:08 PM
I guess it depend on what you want to do with it. Did you buy it because it looks cool or are you hoping to make a buck off it someday? If you plan to sell, keep it carded, but if you really like the figure open it up and enjoy. Or you could buy another one and sit on it to see if it goes up in value one day. But im hoping you open it up and play with it.

gambitguru
01-18-2004, 10:51 PM
ok cool, thnx guys:)

Adam
01-20-2004, 10:34 PM
Hasbro finally confirmed today that the Corvette will indeed be Tracks.

kool-aid killer
01-21-2004, 10:35 AM
Cool. It would be sweet to see an Alternators Soundwave. An MP3 player quickly comes to mind. Id like to see Ironhide done up in a Dodge Caravan style too. Hmmm, my little ramble has got me thinking about other possible Alternators.

El Chuxter
01-21-2004, 12:27 PM
Hasbro finally confirmed today that the Corvette will indeed be Tracks.

Sweetness! That vain show-off with the "black gun" has always been one of my faves. Not sure if it's the car mode being one of the best, the robot mode being one of the best, the nice "Aerovette" mode, or what, but the dude rocks! lol

Was there ever any confirmation as to who the Mazda is? The face isn't exactly dead-on, but it's close enough to Jazz (who also had almost the same transformation as Smokescreen in the original series) that that's who my money's on. Though judging from the "Autobot Jazz" moniker on the Spychanger, Hasbro may have lost that name.

So we have Smokescreen, Sideswipe, Hound, Tracks, and "Jazz" (possibly). Who's next? I still want VW to get off their high-horse and authorize an updated Bumblebee. And there's been enough change in the reconstructions of T Rex that a new Grimlock would be pretty freakin' cool, too.

Too bad current rules regarding toys would prohibit a new Megs. :(

[DSS]Pedr0
01-21-2004, 12:34 PM
Well first, Smokescreen is a WRC, not X.
Are you talking about the TransFormers version or the Subaru version? Subaru makes the WRX optioned vehicle.

JediTricks
01-23-2004, 12:13 AM
Here's a look at a test shot of Alternators Tracks! I dig his wrist-mounted blasters but hope he's not yellow.
alt mode:
http://www.tfclub.com/tffiles/toy/toynews/200401220005.shtml

bot mode:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=753&item=3171341127

Adam
01-23-2004, 12:36 AM
Pedr0']Are you talking about the TransFormers version or the Subaru version? Subaru makes the WRX optioned vehicle.

Yeah I know..

Smokescreen = WRC

Silverstreak*coughbluestreakcough* = WRX

Also note that Tracks has missles.

kool-aid killer
01-23-2004, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the pics JT. Tracks is nice looking, but im hoping his color isnt yellow either. It just looks a little funny on him. I would prefer a blue or black coat.

jjreason
01-23-2004, 10:07 PM
Call me a dork, but I'm just not up to speed here and am curious. Is the Alternators line an "Ultimate" version of Transformers? They're making the old characters changeable into modern cars? Is there any story behind it, or is that we can expect to discover in the "Reborn" comics that are supposed to be coming out from Dreamwave? I ask because I've seen a few pics of that Masterpiece Edition (or whatever) Optimus, and would like to grab one if they're coming to major retail (which, from reading above, it looks like he is). Can anyone fill in some more basic info about the line? I'll go browse the web for more, but it's so much easier when one of the local experts chimes in here for all to see. Thanks in advance......

El Chuxter
01-26-2004, 01:21 PM
Reborn series from Dreamwave? Do you know something I don't, or are you getting mixed up with Devil's Due GIJoe comics? :)

I refer to Dreamwave's continuity as "Ultimate" because it's really really different from the two previously established continuities. I've not heard anything about them doing an alternate reality version on top of their new continuity.

As I understand it, these are just nicer figures of G1 characters with new forms geared toward collectors. No series or story to go with them.

BTW, I found Sideswipe this morning at a WM! :D

Adam
01-26-2004, 04:19 PM
What Chux says of Alternators is right on.

MP Prime will hit retail, sometime in Feb/March. Hasbro's has shortened smokestacks (like the reissue) and scorch marks. Takara's has long stacks and is clean. I have the Takara version, and he is VERY cool.

jjreason
01-26-2004, 06:02 PM
Reborn series from Dreamwave? Do you know something I don't, or are you getting mixed up with Devil's Due GIJoe comics? :)

I refer to Dreamwave's continuity as "Ultimate" because it's really really different from the two previously established continuities. I've not heard anything about them doing an alternate reality version on top of their new continuity.

As I understand it, these are just nicer figures of G1 characters with new forms geared toward collectors. No series or story to go with them.

BTW, I found Sideswipe this morning at a WM! :D

Thanks for the info, Chux. I think I must have been getting muddled, but I thought I remembered them saying the whole thing was getting upended (G1 meets Armada, big reset of continuity or whatever). Probably done already, I stopped reading TF comics after the end of G1 vol 2.

kool-aid killer
01-27-2004, 10:22 AM
Nice find Chuxter, im hoping to pick up Smokescreen this week (ive finally got the cash) but it snowed like crazy yesterday so the roads arent too pretty. Maybe i should pull out the old sled...

Adam, was the MP Prime supposed to "go along" with the Alternators? Or will we most likely see an updated Prime for the Alternators line?

Dark Marble
01-27-2004, 11:58 AM
An updated Prime would be very cool, and maybe wouldn't have the hefty price tag of the 25th ann edition.

I am really starting to like this line. I picked up Smokescreen about 2 weeks ago, and just got Sideswipe this weekend. I have to say I am impressed. I haven't really collected transformers in years, but these are amazing.

But with four more cars on the horizon I am now thinking about getting the Optimus Prime. I wonder if there will ever be a line like this for Decepticons?

The Overlord Returns
01-27-2004, 12:42 PM
Finally... finally.... FINALLY found an Alternators Smokescreen up here in Toronto after missing the boat on the initial shipments in December. I have to say, colour me impressed.

It's incredible how the transformation goes from looking rather kibbly, to pulling the robot all together so lovely in the end. I have a few issues with restricted leg and shoulder movements, but SS looks so damn good as the centrepiece of a TF display, that I just can't help but smile. I can't wait for MY MP prime to show up and join him.

I must say though, I don't think he quite detrones Unicron as my favourite TF in the collection, but he's a close second.

Hopefully I'll get Sideswipe soon. However, I'm already preparing myself to be less impressed.

kool-aid killer
01-27-2004, 08:46 PM
Sideswipes bot mode looks a bad in my opinion. I will most likely pick him up though, because hes too cool to skip.

Dark Marble, in an earlier post i mentioned how cool it would be to see Soundwave as an MP3 player, though i doubt Ravage or Laserbeak could be made to go along with him. Hopefully we will see a baddie unveiled soon.

Dark Marble
01-28-2004, 08:58 AM
You know if they wanted to stick to cars for the Decepticons, a good place to start would be the stunticons. They were all cars, and they would be pretty wild. However, I am really happy with the line and hope they keep it going for a while even if they are all autobots.

JediTricks
01-29-2004, 05:08 AM
Found SideSwipe at Target Pasadena tonight. I sorta like this figure, but he's Captain Kibble, there's so much unused car shell hanging off bot mode that he's almost as much of a shellmeister as the RID Sideburn figure.

Issues about the packaging:
The packaging has what appears to be a goof in that it says the seats are adjustable when they aren't (probably just recycling what was on the Smokescreen box). Also, the box photo of the finished robot and instructions have the door/wings under the arms, but the artwork shows them up above.

And get this, this one is pretty big IMO, the instructions are dead wrong near the end. Besides glossing over some little stuff throughout (which I guess is to be expected these days from Hasbro), they actively contradict the box photo of the finished robot mode by omitting several major things: folding down the steering column, tucking the rollbars under the windshield, and locking the windshield into the rear bonnet (which I think have to be done in that order since the steering column keeps everything else from moving); so their "finished" robot art is mistransformed and still several steps away from completion.

Finally, it only tonight dawned on me that the box's tray graphics are supposed to be reflections of the actual toy in the box, I didn't even notice that on Smokescreen but I just checked and it's the same thing.

My thoughts on the figure itself: (sorry for the rambling on and on that comes next)

The torso isn't as bad as it looked in preview pictures, and I like how the legs transform. The doors either hang behind the arms where they don't look all that nice, or can be swung up as wings, which also ain't that great and is slightly more limiting for the arm articulation (though only slightly, the arms are about the same articulation as Smokey but more free to move around and out). The legs are set a little far back but he's not unstable for this and it can be corrected by posing. I like the gun better than Smokey's, but the red paint on the chrome valve covers comes off faded pink instead of matching red - I think this figure would look way better without any of the chrome except at the rear view mirrors. The steering wheel is rubbery and can turn and come off, but it's easily replacable. The door wings pretty much have no set location, there's so many joints here that it's hard to know what they were originally thinking when they designed it. The leg articulation is pretty annoying, the knees are limited to like 20 degrees forward and back, but the joints are so strong that they want to spring back to their original position. The hips are limited to only like 10 degrees forward/back which just plain sucks, and the waist is limited to even less rotation. Transformation gives some added articulation at the hips and arms, and they also tossed in some upper-thigh rotation even though it isn't needed for transforming. The feet are way poseable, but the heelspurs are pretty loose on mine so they end up generally sliding back and relying on the grill kibble to keep them there. Robot mode isn't as nicely detailed as Smokescreen, there are more hollows and less tightly-sculpted details. All in all, he definitely seems very much like a G1 figure that's been advanced rather than the all-new figure he is, some folks will like that and some folks won't -- I generally don't care for G1isms, but here it works because the figure is a well-defined robot action figure and the car looks pretty slick too.

About the transformation:
I like the transformation here, once I figured out how incredibly off-base the instructions were it came together quite nicely. The first time around, I had a little trouble with the wing/doors, but then I figured out how the joints help allow everything to move (you have to point the arm straight out to the side if you want to rotate the tire to the side or front, and you have to tilt the backpack out of the way and fold the doors back if you want to rotate the wings all the way up or down). Transformation back was pretty sweet, unlike Smokescreen, everything here has a very obvious and singular locked-in role. The only bit that gave me trouble was deciding on the orientation of the shoulder joints when putting everything back since one way allows the rear wheels to sag and I was fooled into thinking one way aligned the other parts better than the opposite way which doesn't seem to be the case. Also, I find that unless you have the trunk's rocket launchers deployed, it helps to have the trunk pivoted back slightly to give clearance to the arms since the tires move with the arms (this is of course if you have the tires facing backwards, you could also transform them out to the sides or even in front of the shoulders). Oh, and I really like the steering-coordinator bar on this one - way better than the one on Smokey though still not tied to the actual steering wheel - it works well and stows away quite nicely, though Hasbro's "barely a guideline" instructions don't even pretend like they exist at all.

Adam
01-31-2004, 01:47 AM
Snagged Sideswipe tonight. I dig him. I had heard that his instructions were missing steps, so I went straight in and Tfed him w/o them. Got it right for the most part. I leave his doors hanging down as a nod to the G1 original. Dissapointed that his gun does not have the peg to hold it to the hand like Smokescreen's. Also not there is alternate configuration with the back bumper as Sideswipe's chest. I don't know how to do it, and don't really care either, I like the official way. Did ya notice the missles on the back bumper JT?

jjreason
01-31-2004, 12:18 PM
I found Smokescreen here in town last night, after reading from a fellow Canadian that they were being stocked in the die cast aisle at one of our retailers. The vehicle looks fantastic, but I skipped the purchase based on the picture of the robot. My feelings about Transformers have been the same since we first got Hound (my brother and I) way back in the day - the robot forms just don't cut it. The feet just look way, way too huge. I'd rather have a couple of removable pieces allowing the robot to look better than have them turn out so out of proportion. The only robots I ever truly loved were Jetfire and Optimus.

If anyone can post up a few pics of Smokey in bot mode, I'd appreciate it. I'd still like to get the figure if I could be convinced he didn't look like the picture on the package.

kool-aid killer
01-31-2004, 12:59 PM
I think Smokescreens bot mode looks nice. I have yet to actually buy one (need to cash my check and hit my local Walmart) so i cant complain yet. But in all fairness, its got to be difficult to make a toy that looks cool in two shapes, vehicle and robot, and can be played with in both forms.

JediTricks
02-02-2004, 02:00 AM
I think Smokey's bot mode succeeds best above the legs, the way the torso comes together and how the head integrates with all this is just neat. The feet have an arch to them when you flip down the heelspurs, so they actually seem like large boots which works for the most part (except for the doors hanging off the back). IMO, Smokescreen is a robot figure that you have to experience in person to really get a gauge upon, the details in the way the seats become the torso alone just make me smile so much.

Adam, when you say you have the doors down as a nod to G1, do you have them to the side of the arms like the G1 had 'em or behind the arms instead? I just checked the '85 TF catalog to see what you're talking about because I wasn't that into the G1 cars as a kid and don't remember them that clearly. I've started keeping them behind the arms like the picture on the box because they are articulated so they can sort of follow the arms forward or back a little which I think adds character to them (plus, I'm not a fan of door-wings in general ;)).

I remember seeing that alternate transformation with the rear of the car becoming the torso, I think it came from an ebay seller who had a Test Shot mis-transforming the car. I would think it'd work by taking the upper torso and rotating it, moving the tab for the head, and then somehow integrating the trunk under that tab, but I don't know if that's the case, just a total guess. I remember there was another alternate bot mode where the windshield was played out differently too, so it's hard to remember which is which.

I like the gun not having a peg, it looks better and gives a little flexibility in holding. Since the hands are more rubbery than Smokey's, you can pose them with the index finger all the way out and the rest forming a box shape (when you look from the top down) and then slide the gun into place, it's a firm grip and then you can move the index finger back into its position.

El Chuxter
02-02-2004, 10:49 AM
WOOHOO!!!

That, my friends, is the excited cry of someone who has found the 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime! I stopped by WM on the way to work this morning and saw nothing in the aisle. I was about to leave, but glanced up and saw a familiar Autobot on the top shelf. I wasn't about to "Ask for help with items on the top shelf."

He looks awesome! The Matrix is a bit small, and the stacks are indeed short, but I ain't complaining! Can't wait to open this fella up!! lol

Back to Alternators proper, did anyone else who watched the Super Bowl think "Hmmm, that new Ford GT practically has 'Sunstreaker' written all over it"?

kool-aid killer
02-02-2004, 11:09 AM
Can anybody post a link showing the difference between the long stack and short stack Optimus Primes? El Chuxter, does the size of Optimus look like it matches the size of the Alternators figures or is it much bigger?

El Chuxter
02-02-2004, 12:17 PM
I don't have any comparison shots (I can't justify spending more than the cost of the original Prime just to get longer smokestacks and a cheap cardboard trailer).

I've not opened Side Swipe or Optimus, but guessing from the height of Op and Smokescreen, Optimus is quite a bit taller than the Alternators, but will probably be on the proper scale in vehicle mode.

JediTricks
02-02-2004, 09:33 PM
Congrats on the find! How much before tax?

Prime is roughly in scale with the Alternators vehicle modes, but he's like twice as tall as either figure, so I guess that's scale as well.

Did I mention that SideSwipe has text on the tires unlike Alt Smokey? It says "Cybertronian Radial".

Adam
02-02-2004, 10:00 PM
Can anybody post a link showing the difference between the long stack and short stack Optimus Primes? El Chuxter, does the size of Optimus look like it matches the size of the Alternators figures or is it much bigger?

Prime comparrison: http://tfkenkon.com/collection/act179/

Prime with others: http://tfkenkon.com/collection/act177/

And JT, I have the doors on the side like in G1.

kool-aid killer
02-04-2004, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the pics Adam. Prime does look like he matches up fine with the Alternators. Im probably going to stick with the shorter stacks, longer ones look better but short is more along the lines of my budget.

El Chuxter
02-04-2004, 10:28 AM
JT, I meant to check the receipt last night and forgot, but I want to say he was $64 and change?

JediTricks
02-04-2004, 10:15 PM
What ever happened to TRU charging $75 and getting it first?

Adam
02-04-2004, 10:32 PM
Delays I think.

JediTricks
02-04-2004, 10:57 PM
Haw! That's too bad for them, they just lost out on all that business, and if they keep the higher pricetag, they're NEVER going to get any buyers until Target & WM exhaust their supplies permanently.

Adam
02-08-2004, 11:48 PM
Transfandom.com says we may be getting a Dodge Ram and Neon Alternator.

kool-aid killer
02-09-2004, 10:14 AM
A Neon Alternator, who could it be? Id love to see an Alternator figure done in a Grand Am style (Jazz perferably) but it seems like Dodge has warmed up to the idea of having a toy modeled after one of their real life cars. I just seen Sideswipe about an hour ago at Walmart but held off on him because im hoping to get a Cave Troll figure, but i did like how he looked in bot mode in the package. He looked less clunky than the photos id seen.

Dark Marble
02-09-2004, 10:56 AM
I was able to find the 20th ann. prime yesterday at my local Target. This looks so cool next to the alternators!! I wasn't sure about getting this toy (hefty price tag) until I saw him with smokescreen and sideswipe!! Worth getting!!

JediTricks
02-09-2004, 06:56 PM
Marble, how much at Target? Very cool find!

Kool-Aid, I'm not sure I understand what you mean about "Grand Am style". At first I thought you meant the Pontiac by that name, and GM has licensed the Jeep to the line, so no reason they couldn't do a Pontiac Grand Am (except maybe that the car isn't all that popular right now), but now I don't think that's what you meant.

I would love a Ram pickup, but who the heck wants a transforming Neon??? I'd rather have a Dodge Magnum.

Dark Marble
02-10-2004, 11:52 AM
The prime was $69.99 before tax. A little better then Game Stop that was charging $89.99. It is great to see Prime out there at regular retail. Also, I was talking to a friend of mine at Game Stop, and she said that KB was also getting Prime in at $79.99. So we have a range of about $64.99 to $89.99 out there depending on the retailer. And I was also told that Game Stop will price match!!

Also, just a quick question to all the Alternators fans, how are you displaying your alternators? I kind of like keeping them in car mode, but I want to display them with Prime, however Prime might be to good looking to keep as a truck. Decisions, decisions.... :ermm:

JediTricks
02-10-2004, 06:52 PM
That's $10 more than WM unfortunately, who has it for $59.99 as I understand it.

I have my Alternators figures in bot mode. I own plenty of great 1/12th-scale cars, so I don't need any 1/18th-scale ones as well. ;) I can certainly see why someone would want to own 2 of each though, display 'em together in each mode.

kool-aid killer
02-11-2004, 09:29 AM
JT, you had it right, id like to see an Alternator whose car mode is that of a Pontiac Grand Am. Yeah, i seen Prime at Target too, im hoping to see it at Walmart sometime soon that way i can throw it on layaway. I dont feel like dropping $60 on him all at once when there is so much other stuff i need to catch up with.

JediTricks
02-12-2004, 07:27 PM
Ah, ok, good, thanks for clarifying, sorry I added that confusion.

Well, Hasbro has confirmed how they'll be handling Decepticons in this line, they're going to modify the currently-released cars in the line into Decepticons. I'm not in favor of this overall, one might be interesting to see turned into a crazy tuner or something, but making this the general game plan for the Decepticons makes me sad. I would love for Takara to tackle at least 1 Decepticon jet in 1/24th scale even if it cost $40, maybe 2 or 3 jets and a tank or a chopper or something like that. But apparently not. :(

El Chuxter
02-12-2004, 07:49 PM
That really and truly sucks. Leave it to Hasbro to screw up something once they get it right. :mad:

kool-aid killer
02-13-2004, 10:17 AM
I second that. Hearing that sad bit of news just killed lots of the anticipation i had for this line. Hasbro has dropped the ball with that announcement.

Adam
02-13-2004, 06:30 PM
Why is this such a big deal. So they're repainting them. Stunticons I say. They never said they wouldn't make 'con that are not cars.

kool-aid killer
02-13-2004, 09:32 PM
No, but i was hoping for Decepticons that werent basically the same as the Autobot Alternators. I dont mind that they are in car form instead of a jet or tank, but i dont like that the Autobots and Decepticons will look pretty much the same.

Adam
02-13-2004, 10:09 PM
This Decepticon thing is our fault.

Hasbro premieres Alternators. Fans love them. People that don't even like Transformers like them. Fans ask if Decepticons will be made. Fans start demanding it. Hasbro responds, by the most efficient way it knows: repaints and remolds. Cost effective, and speedy.

Maybe they are doing car decepticons for now while they try to obtain lisences for military and other vehicles.

After all, it took Hasbro/Takara awhile to get the car licenses for Alternators.

JediTricks
02-14-2004, 12:20 PM
I have never heard that licenses were needed for military vehicles unless using specific markings, which IMO really isn't necessary. And look how many companies produce accurate military toys these days, there's like 4 different lines at TRU.

JediTricks
02-15-2004, 02:58 PM
Well, BWTF added toy fair coverage of Alternators http://69.93.119.2/photos3/showgallery.php?cat=509&thumb=1
I can't say I'm as impressed with the line anymore. It seems like it's becoming more and more kibbly with each new figure. I still like the line, but it's not as awesome now. Tracks is indeed yellow, and Hasbro brought an unfinished piece with them so his chest isn't painted, it looks like a windshield but I'm pretty sure it's not. Also, he and Hound have a ton of kibble hanging off their backs in bot mode, the back views of each made me cringe a little.

kool-aid killer
02-16-2004, 09:45 AM
I think im going to pass on Silverstreak, he just doesnt look too good when compared to Smokescreen, though im sure the differing paint schemes has much to do with that. I like Tracks, his final look in bot mode doesnt bother me at all.

JediTricks
02-19-2004, 08:16 PM
Found 20th Anniv Optimus w/ black gun at WM and grey gun at Target today, $63.62 and $69.99 respectively. I picked up the black gun at WM for the lower price, obviously. ;) Fantastic figure, took me way too long to get off that tray though with all the twisties and tape and whatnot. This figure is amazing in every way and transformation was surprisingly easier than I had expected, though still challenging. The black scorch stuff was not welcome but can't win 'em all, I guess, and the short stacks really look bad in alt mode, but are forgivable in bot mode. Standing normal, he leans forward, so I gave him the cool dynamic pose from the instruction's title panel, and stuck that on the bookshelf above the TV along with Alternators SideSwipe & Smokescreen (who look like children next to this bad boy!).

El Chuxter
02-24-2004, 06:29 PM
I saw on another site earlier that the Mazda RX-8 Alternator has the old-school name of. . .

Camshaft.

On the one hand, could they scrape any deeper in G1 for a name?

On the other hand, could they honor a more obscure character? :)

Can't wait, can't wait.

JediTricks
02-24-2004, 08:43 PM
Well, Camshaft was an RX-7 after all, so it makes some sense. Kinda weird how he was an Omnibot though, means something else in the modern Energon line. Hard to believe they went all the way back to a STARS-exclusive figure. I don't even remember what his alt mode hidden weapons were, I only remember that Overdrive had hidden wings and nose guns, one of my favorite little gimmicks as a kid.

Dark Marble
02-25-2004, 11:48 AM
...I haven't thought about those little guys in years. I had the Overdrive when I was young too, and I remember the noseguns and the wings being one of my favorites. I vaguely remember Camshaft, but only by name. Interesting they are not going for a "more prominent" Autobot name. :sur:

darthvyn
02-25-2004, 06:54 PM
wow... i can't believe how much of a thread there is already...

i just picked up smokescreen - one for myself and one for my friend who actually has a WRX, so i got his b-day gift.

i'm probably going to start collecting this whole series. sideswipe looks pretty cool, but hound look awesome.

i hope they don't do decepticon rehashes. it would be better to wait and do more traditional decep modes. i want planes. perhaps f-22 raptors! that would be another cool update to the traditional vehicle mode of the classic characters. f-22 starscream. hell ya!

EDIT: oh, i forgot to say it would be pretty funny for the RX-8 to be called camshaft, since the "renesis" rotary engine in the RX-8 doesn't HAVE a camshaft!

and i also love the fact that the weapons are concealed as part if not all of the engine - the turbo-charger's intercooler on smokescreen, and the entire viper V-10 engine for sideswipe. that's just COOL!

Eternal Padawan
02-26-2004, 10:47 AM
Dodge Ram? I would like to see Ironhide or Trailbreaker make an appearance. A Neon could only be Bumblebee or Cliffjumper. And since it would be blasphemous to make BB anything other than a new VW beetle.

I wasn't going to get these until I found Prime and then saw pics of Hound and (Blue/Silver)Streak online. Awesome! If I was more of a customizer, I would change Smokescreen to more of a classic color scheme.

It doesn't bother me that they want to repaint them and release them as Decepts. i just won't buy them. Yeah, it would be cool to get jets, but not getting them doesn't make what we are getting any less cool. Here's hoping the entire original line up gets revamped. Prowl, Ratchet, etc. Even Windcharger, Gears, Brawn, and Huffer getting some action would be sweet.

It's too bad Hasbro isn't doing the die-cast route like the Binaltech figures across seas. I'd spring a few extra clams for a heavier duty 'bot.

darthvyn
02-26-2004, 11:18 AM
i bet after this series gets big, VW will change their minds...

www.vynsane.com/transformer.wmv

i didn't make that, but it's really cool... it looks more like jazz, but you could easily see that turning into BB instead.

i think cliffjumper would be cool as a cooper mini.

kool-aid killer
02-26-2004, 11:33 AM
A mini cooper would be cool. Hopefully VW does change its mind, i dont see how having a toy robot modeled after their arguably most famous car would harm anything.

Camshaft, the name doesnt ring a bell but its nice to see an obscure character get an update.

Dark Marble
02-26-2004, 11:45 AM
i bet after this series gets big, VW will change their minds...

www.vynsane.com/transformer.wmv

i didn't make that, but it's really cool... it looks more like jazz, but you could easily see that turning into BB instead.

i think cliffjumper would be cool as a cooper mini.

Wow!!! :eek: That is really cool!! I am really hoping that VW will come around. I would love to have an updated bumblebee. He was one of my favorites when I was a kid!!

Adam
02-26-2004, 06:08 PM
If that is the White new beetle movie, than no. VW has already seen it.

Rhino wanted to use it as an extra on one of their TF boxsets, but VW would not let them.

The Rx-8 is probably not going to be Camshaft.

darthvyn
02-26-2004, 08:14 PM
i didn't mean that they would come around because of that movie... i know they've already seen it - and tried to sue, if memory serves me... i just think that they might turn around when this series takes off - and especially if the RX-8 is popular, what with the website promotion and such...

Adam
02-27-2004, 07:51 PM
Ah. I see now. Sorry about that.

Btw. Rx-8's name is OFFICIAL. He is JAZZ. But not Jazz. ;)

Rx-8 is being called Meister which is Jazz's Japanese name. ( Agent Meister being the full name.)

JediTricks
02-27-2004, 09:15 PM
i just picked up smokescreen - one for myself and one for my friend who actually has a WRX, so i got his b-day gift.Smokescreen is a WRC, Silverstreak (the remold of Smokey) will be a WRX. :D

and i also love the fact that the weapons are concealed as part if not all of the engine - the turbo-charger's intercooler on smokescreen, and the entire viper V-10 engine for sideswipe. that's just COOL!This is a gimmick from G2 and widly used (although not as an engine) in Beast Wars. I think it's a must-have on any Transformer, not just Alternators, but Armada and Energon are not working with me on that.

Gah, I'm not into this whole "G1 characters!!!" thing, but that Mazda is *not* Jazz, no matter what Hasbro says.

Eternal Padawan
02-28-2004, 03:02 PM
Yeah, since when is "Jazz" the color of a clown's nose?

darthvyn
02-28-2004, 04:20 PM
Smokescreen is a WRC, Silverstreak (the remold of Smokey) will be a WRX. :D

i know that, i knew that before i read it in your post earlier in the thread ;) ... but silverstreak isn't out before his b-day, and his car is blue, thus making it an easier choice... also, neither of them is the hatchback version, nor the 2003 model, which his is... just some poetic liscense was taken...

Gah, I'm not into this whole "G1 characters!!!" thing, but that Mazda is *not* Jazz, no matter what Hasbro says.

i like it when they re-do G1 characters - they're really the only ones i care about. however, what we've seen of the RX-8 is all made up by mazda, not hasbro - for all we know, he could transform completely differently and be white!

Adam
02-28-2004, 11:12 PM
darthvyn is right, don't be so hasty. ;)

JediTricks
02-29-2004, 08:29 PM
Jazz no more, apparently Honda has a car named the Jazz somewhere so now this is just "Meister"... gee, that's gonna be real popular.

Reefer Shark
03-01-2004, 04:50 PM
folks,
I hadn't owned a TF in many years (I had a few when they first came out waaaay back when). I was never a fan of the TV shows, or comics, and I hadn't been interested in any of the new stuff until the alternators.

I had been eyeing those two alternators in the stores for the last few weeks or so (thinking "I want, but I just can't do another line...").

Well last night I buckled and bought both of 'em. And now I'm happy I did, these are awesome toys! I just really dig how tight they look in vehicle mode, very nice indeed! Anyways, I'll probably never get into the show, but I have a feeling there will be lots more alternators in my future.... Especially that Mazda RX8 that's coming out.

That 20th Anniversary Optimus looks reeeeeeel nice too...... hmmmmmmm.......... Is that considered a part of the alternators line as well?

$80 though, ouch!

JediTricks
03-01-2004, 04:58 PM
There is no Alternators show, so don't worry about that. :D

20th Optimus is not officially part of the Alternators line, though he's roughly in their 1/24th scale. His retail is $65-70, not $80, so that might have a small impact on your consideration of this bad muthah. ;)

Reefer Shark
03-01-2004, 05:06 PM
That's cool, If I were to find Optimus at $60 or so, I would probably give in and buy it.

I saw one going for $79.99 at TRU. Mabye they're cheaper at Target or WalMart?

JediTricks
03-01-2004, 05:13 PM
WM: $63.62 (with black rifle)
Target: $69.99 (with grey rifle)

Yours is the first sighting I've heard at TRU.

Reefer Shark
03-01-2004, 05:21 PM
Oh wow, rifle color variations huh? I think the TRU one was grey... But then again, my memory is pretty grey sometimes too so I coulod be wrong.... :D

I've seen two at seperate TRU's. One stashed at Burbank TRU (about a week or so ago), the other was being held in the back at Huntington Beach TRU (an employee pulled it out to show me last night as he helped convince me that I needed the alternators).

kool-aid killer
03-02-2004, 08:18 PM
Im getting mine from Walmart, its cheaper and i would prefer a black rifle instead of a grey one. The only other place ive seen him at is Target. I dont even want to know how much TRU will be charging for him. Cool haul with the Alternators figures. Nice looking cars and the bot modes arent too shabby either.

Reefer Shark
03-02-2004, 08:57 PM
Well I found a 20th Optimus Prime at Wal-Mart today, caved in in yet again and picked it up. He was just sitting there all alone, stashed way up on the top shelf ~ just begging to be bought :crazed:. I think this is a record week for me with blowing money... :stupid:

He's a great looking toy. I haven't busted him open yet, but I will. :D

jjreason
03-02-2004, 11:29 PM
I saw 4 of them at my TRU last week, 99.99 (CDN) each. I decided right away that I WILL be getting one, I'm just holding off until WalMart puts them out. This thing needs to be bought at the most reasonable price - he's expensive (but looks SO worth it).

Adam
03-03-2004, 12:02 AM
He is indeed worth it. If they ever do more Masterpeice's I hope they will do G1 tfs with Alt modes that can't really be updated. Soundwave(WITH TAPES!), Reflector and Perceptor come to mind.

El Chuxter
03-04-2004, 12:23 PM
I had car problems yesterday and couldn't make it in to work, so I cracked open 20th Anniversary Oppie and Sideswipe.

Marvel Legends Gambit, you had your time at the top. It's time for Optimus Prime to take the position as "Best Damn Figure Ever." It's a position I think he'll hold for quite some time. The commlink to Bumblebee is worth the price alone! :D

Sideswipe is a different story. I cannot make the robot look like the picture on the box. He has this weird sorta gap in his upper chest, because the top portion cannot become intangible and pass through the fixed steering wheel. Oddly, the instructions show him looking like the crap-princess I've got on display. Anyone else had this problem? If you haven't, leave the guy in car mode!

Adam
03-04-2004, 02:20 PM
pssst. The steering wheel flips down.

JediTricks
03-04-2004, 08:36 PM
Chux, Sideswipe's instructions have big errors near the end, read my post here: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showpost.php?p=305713&postcount=37

kool-aid killer
03-05-2004, 08:56 PM
I finally got Alt Sideswipe yesterday. He had disappeared around here (pegs full of Smokescreens though) but my brother was able to find one and gave me him for my birthday yesterday. I also bought myself 20 anniversary Prime yesterday. Both are awesome looking figures and make me smile with much glee whenever i look at them. :D

darthvyn
03-13-2004, 11:35 PM
check out the first decepticon alternator, dead end...

http://www.hasbro.com/transformers/energon/pl/PAGE.news/ID.1015/dn/default.cfm

good shots of final "tracks" too...

jjreason
03-14-2004, 01:12 AM
I like the looks of the bot mode for Dead End. Great car as well, the colouring on that Viper makes it look like a "bad guy". Very cool.

darthvyn
03-14-2004, 03:20 PM
yeah, it's cool that it's not just a repaint of sideswipe, but a slight retooling, seeing as how the alt mode is a hardtop viper, not a convertible... thus the transformation is different, i.e. the decepticon badge on that flip-down silver patch.

kool-aid killer
03-15-2004, 10:19 AM
The little change may be worth picking him up, didnt they give him a different spoiler too? I like the colors too, hes got that nice bad bot look to him.

JediTricks
03-15-2004, 05:35 PM
Vastly different spoiler.

darthvyn
03-19-2004, 05:19 PM
well, i just picked up sideswipe... aside from the less than articulate legs, this is a REALLY cool figure, and i'll probably end up picking up dead end as well... i can't wait for hound and silverstreak. man, i'm not going to have any money :(

JediTricks
03-20-2004, 04:01 PM
Congrats on SideSwipe. That reminds me, there are usually 4 or 5 Alternators figs (2 or 3 of each) at my local stores each time I visit, are these not selling or are they being adequately restocked? I think it might be the latter, which would add cool-factor to the line, being a $20 toy that anybody can find easily.

At only 6 releases a year, I don't think of this line as a wallet-breaker myself, not compared to Energon or SW.

darthvyn
03-20-2004, 04:26 PM
yeah, it's definitely the latter, as i've been to my local TRU almost every day on my break to see if they have any 20th ann. primes for me to oggle (not to buy, as i don't have enough $$$ anyway, but at least i might be able to SEE one...) and they always have a good amount of each alt in stock, but every time in different quantitites to each other, leaving me to surmise that they are both selling and being re-stocked well.

darthvyn
03-24-2004, 12:00 AM
does anyone know when we're supposed to see hound and silverstreak? i had heard that it was supposed to be on the 25th, but i'm not sure if that's the american or japanese versions...

JediTricks
03-24-2004, 05:36 PM
Looking at April, I believe, for the Alternators versions.

Adam
03-24-2004, 07:50 PM
I don't think they are releasing Hound and Bluestreak at the same time, it might be a wave 2 and 2.5 like Smokescreen and Sideswipe were.

darthvyn
03-24-2004, 09:08 PM
man, that blows... i was getting all excited for it... and i still can't get a 20th prime anywhere...

darthvyn
03-26-2004, 12:52 AM
lets do a "who goes with what" type of thing... i think ironhide could do well as the new chevy ssr...

http://www.chevrolet.com/ssr/

or get all blinged out and be the cadillac escalade...

http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/models/gallery.jsp?model=escalade

trailbreaker could be the chevy trailblazer (i like the name comparison on this one...)

http://www.chevrolet.com/trailblazer/

now you go!

JediTricks
03-26-2004, 07:42 PM
I don't think they are releasing Hound and Bluestreak at the same time, it might be a wave 2 and 2.5 like Smokescreen and Sideswipe were.
Well, action-HQ made it sound like they are.

BinalTech BT-03 SilverStreak & BT-04 Hound available end of March or begginging of April.

El Chuxter
03-29-2004, 02:24 PM
I posted an Alternator-related thread under Dear Hasbro regarding the vast possible customer base they'd have for these figures if only more folks were aware of them, as well as the possibility of using a Transformer in a car ad. Check it out and post any thoughts under http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=317922#post317922!

Adam
03-29-2004, 11:05 PM
This is a thread about Alternators JT. Not Binaltech. :D

JediTricks
03-30-2004, 01:17 AM
Oh yeah, because they're SOOOOOO different. ;)

Adam
03-30-2004, 04:42 PM
Well time when Hound and Bluestreak ship will be different. SO THERE! :p

Eternal Padawan
04-05-2004, 05:29 PM
I know Hasbro really doesn't have any plans for a counterpart to the excellent Optimus Prime they just released, mainly because the Political Incorrectness of a realistic looking gun toy, but I was hoping a well constructed argument might change thier minds or at least give them pause in their decision.

First of all, the main thing would be that the figure be as articulate and accurate looking in robot mode as Optimus is. The transformation is seconadary to me in that regards. Someone has suggested to ditch the gun transformation alltogether and make him a grim, gray tank or someother vehicle of mass destruction. This would be acceptable, but here is my idea.

Market it as a vehicle transformation, but give it a few extra flaps and snaps and hinges, so that without acknowledging it, the tank also turned into a vintage style Walther P38. These things are clearly marketed towards the Adult collectors reminiscing about their youth. No child is gonna spring for a $70 figure that I know. And in his enlarged state, nobody is gonna confuse him with an actual gun. These are just suggestions, but I really, really want to have a Megatron with a purple energy mace, to throw down against the Prime.

You know what I'm saying?

El Chuxter
04-06-2004, 12:16 PM
These are just suggestions, but I really, really want to have a Megatron with a purple energy mace, to throw down against the Prime.

You know what I'm saying?

There is a Megatron who turns into a gun and has the energon mace, available for a pretty penny as a Japanese import. Only thing is, he's a re-release of the original, which was cool in the day but looks like dookie beside the new Prime.

darthvyn
05-06-2004, 05:15 PM
so apparently all four of the alternators that we know are coming out are doing so in august, and two of them are redecos - hound, silverstreak, dead-end and tracks are the slotted assortment. at least that's what Ent.Earth (http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HT81300C) has to say...

oh, and i finally got me the masterpiece prime, and it is INSANE! holy crap that's the coolest toy i've ever gotten in my life!

:beard: :beard: :beard: that's all i have to say about that!

Adam
05-06-2004, 05:40 PM
That is NOT wave 2. EE listed it incorrectly. Hound will be out in the summer.

JediTricks
05-07-2004, 10:05 PM
WAAAAAAH! I'm sick of waiting for a new figure in this line, is Hasbro purposefully trying to kill the tenuous momentum it had? Do they really think these same 2 figures are going to hold the market interest for 6 to 9 months?!? I just saw BT Hound at my local comic shop, the wanted $90, it looks pretty cool but if I have only $20 when I have to choose between Alternators Hound & Tracks, I think Hound is going to get the short end of the stick.

darthvyn
05-09-2004, 09:30 AM
That is NOT wave 2. EE listed it incorrectly. Hound will be out in the summer.

august is in summer...

where's your info? when have you heard they will be released?

Do they really think these same 2 figures are going to hold the market interest for 6 to 9 months?!?

yep! and i think they might just be right. i'm not going to loose interest in them, and i think they might be doing it to make everyone salivate more for them...

JediTricks
05-09-2004, 03:04 PM
Unfortunately, not everybody who collects these is as enthusiastic about collecting 'em as folks like you and me. I fear that they see the same 2 boxes for half a year and will have their interest dwindle little by little, and once the new figs do arrive, the boxes will be identical from a few angles and those who aren't enthused will end up missing out and letting their interest wane entirely.

Adam
05-09-2004, 11:27 PM
Ok, early summer. My info is Hasbro.

jjreason
05-15-2004, 11:20 AM
Okay, how's this deal? 20th Anniversary Optimus, 49.99 Canadian. That's about 35 US. :cool:

Great toy, but man am I ever glad I waited!

Adam
05-21-2004, 10:26 PM
That's a good deal, but I still don't feel bad about paying around 100 for the Takara version back in December. :)

Alternator "Silverstreak" is in stock at several online sites, one being bigbadtoystore. (Ordered one off there.) Hound isn't in stock however. :( It may be like Sideswipe and come out in a wave 2.5 or whatever.

darthvyn
05-23-2004, 08:55 AM
that sucks! i want hound sooooo much...

hell of a deal, jj! i ordered mine from KBtoys.com - it was "on sale" for like, $56 but with shipping and tax, it came out to about $80. still, i'm not that upset - i hadn't found him anywhere for less.

Adam
05-23-2004, 01:30 PM
Forgot to mention that Bluestreak was found at a Wal-Mart in Connecticut. :D

jjreason
05-30-2004, 10:19 PM
that sucks! i want hound sooooo much...

hell of a deal, jj! i ordered mine from KBtoys.com - it was "on sale" for like, $56 but with shipping and tax, it came out to about $80. still, i'm not that upset - i hadn't found him anywhere for less.

Thanks, Vyn! Imagine my chagrine when I unpacked him from my flight - and the damned head was off. Of course it went back on easy (those ball joints are just the berries - perfect tightness. I'm scared they're going to go loose on my though). This is such an awesome figure - the bot mode is absolutely everything I could have asked for in a big kickass robot to display. The opposable thumbs had my mouth hanging open.

JediTricks
05-30-2004, 10:40 PM
I think it's cool that you can see Prime's aborted mouth sculpt behind the faceplate.

On another note, Hobby Link Japan has added a photo of BT Meister (aka RX-8 Jazz): http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljpage.cgi?TAK12482
I like the white, but want racing stripes like G1 Jazz had. He'll stand out well from the other Alternators figures though, that's for sure, and that's the way it should be.

darthvyn
06-01-2004, 09:47 AM
Thanks, Vyn! Imagine my chagrine when I unpacked him from my flight - and the damned head was off.

GAH!!! that would've freaked me out... mine was intact when i received it...

The opposable thumbs had my mouth hanging open.

yeah, he gives a good thumbs up, and even metal horns! \m/ \m/

I think it's cool that you can see Prime's aborted mouth sculpt behind the faceplate.

On another note, Hobby Link Japan has added a photo of BT Meister (aka RX-8 Jazz): http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljpage.cgi?TAK12482
I like the white, but want racing stripes like G1 Jazz had. He'll stand out well from the other Alternators figures though, that's for sure, and that's the way it should be.

i haven't seen the mouth... well, i'll have to wait until i unpack him...

meister looks cool... 'specially in white. i, too, hope they give him the stripes. and the real name - JAZZ! his trasformation, however, looks identical to smokescreen/silverstreak...

Adam
06-01-2004, 03:38 PM
Jazz's visor comes off as well.