PDA

View Full Version : Why is General Rieeken a deluxe figure?

B'Omarr Monkey
12-19-2003, 10:04 PM
Having found General Rieeken, I have to say the likeness is great and the tactical display screen accesory is nice. I'm glad I bought him and have no complaints.

I'm simply wondering why he is a deluxe figure and one of the regular carded figure. You'd have to turn the display screen on it's side but both he and the screen could fit on a regular card. Remeber Ephant Mon fit on a regular card (not that I have one yet).

Is this simply a way for Hasbro to defray costs on characters that seem more of a gamble to manufacter than others? I know the molds for these figures cost money and they don't want to end up with a bunch of peg warmers, so bumping up the price from $5.00 to $11.00 seems like a sensible way to do it.

Now, with this in mind, would people be willing to shell out the $11.00 for more obscure characters with accessories, if it meant that Hasbro were more likely to make them?

I'd certainly be more willing to pay $11.00 for a Dannik Jerriko figure than even $2.00 for yet another Darth Maul or Jango Fett.

Another way to do it would be packing two figures together, one being an obscure character with a more obvious selling point (visual design/popularity/whatever) with a really obscure one. For example an Saurin/Rycar Ryjerd or an Arcona/Given two-pack. Doing it this way would, if nothing more, make us all shut up about them not making everything we want.

mtriv73
12-23-2003, 06:26 PM
They could have called him a mega deluxe super figure and charged $20 for all I care, I'm just happy we finally got him made.

I agree that they probably didn't figure they would sell as many of these as a Luke or a Han figure and they bumped up the price point to make their money back. Personally, I think this is a fantastic idea. They make money and we get what we want. If it gets figures we want made then I hope Hasbro continues putting out Ultra figures for years to come.

Sentinel18725
12-23-2003, 06:36 PM
I was actually extremely excited when I found him. Good sturdy package...good likeness....GREAT accessory....more like this and I'll be a happy camper.

Turbowars
12-24-2003, 05:50 PM
Having found General Rieeken, I have to say the likeness is great and the tactical display screen accesory is nice. I'm glad I bought him and have no complaints.

I'm simply wondering why he is a deluxe figure and one of the regular carded figure. You'd have to turn the display screen on it's side but both he and the screen could fit on a regular card. Remeber Ephant Mon fit on a regular card (not that I have one yet).

Is this simply a way for Hasbro to defray costs on characters that seem more of a gamble to manufacter than others? I know the molds for these figures cost money and they don't want to end up with a bunch of peg warmers, so bumping up the price from $5.00 to $11.00 seems like a sensible way to do it.

Now, with this in mind, would people be willing to shell out the $11.00 for more obscure characters with accessories, if it meant that Hasbro were more likely to make them?

I'd certainly be more willing to pay $11.00 for a Dannik Jerriko figure than even $2.00 for yet another Darth Maul or Jango Fett.

Another way to do it would be packing two figures together, one being an obscure character with a more obvious selling point (visual design/popularity/whatever) with a really obscure one. For example an Saurin/Rycar Ryjerd or an Arcona/Given two-pack. Doing it this way would, if nothing more, make us all shut up about them not making everything we want.BECAUSE WE ARE ALL MIGHTY HASBRO AND CAN DO ANYTHING WE WANT. WE KNOW YOU WILL STILL BUY IT, NO MATTER WHAT PRICE IS ON THE ITEM. THE TOY GOD HAS SPOKEN.