PDA

View Full Version : DVD Extras: Your favorites and what you prefer to see.

stillakid
12-21-2003, 01:00 AM
Most DVD's tend to have similar types of extra's, including the ON/OFF Commentary, the Featurette, the Production Notes... stuff like that.

Just curious what your favorite extra features are. How often do you rewatch a movie (particularly if it's a rental) just to hear the commentary track(s)? Do you sit and read the pages of text notes?

So which features are worth the time to watch and consider before you purchase a title?

Which features haven't you seen that you think would be cool?

Anakin Palpatine
12-21-2003, 04:09 AM
A choose your own ending feature on certain films. Bloopers, bloopers, bloopers. Plans for future productions. Maybe an add your own dialogue scene feature.

Exhaust Port
12-21-2003, 06:41 AM
Director commentary for me followed closely by actor commentary.

evenflow
12-21-2003, 10:03 AM
I love easter eggs. My favorite is in the Nine Inch Nails DVD: and all that could have been. The egg is from the MSG show that I was at where Manson came out and they performed a couple of songs together. Awesome.

Beast
12-21-2003, 01:44 PM
Audio Commentaries. Always fun to listen to the directors, writers, stars, etc. discuss their viewpoints of the movies. Unless it's the annoying ones where the guy just keeps saying what's happening on screen and quoting character dialogue. Those suck. :)

I love extras, they have made 'Might Purchase' titles into 'Must Have' titles. While I never buy a movie on extras alone. They do offer some incentive when it's a movie I sort of liked, but not enough to really own it. I love extras, what can I say. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
12-21-2003, 07:02 PM
What extras are garbage, in your opinions? Is there any extra that is just dead weight or are all of them equally interesting and worth the time?

And what about having to navigate through things like hidden Easter Eggs and "graphic" menus? For instance, I was just watching the Pirates of the Caribbean discs last night and found the "pirate ship" graphic thing annoying after awhile. Only after going through many of the topics did I figure out that they are all indexed in a more standard way to make viewing easier to do.

Is "more" better, or is there such a thing as too many extras?

Beast
12-21-2003, 07:22 PM
Well, Disney used to claim the art on the discs themselves as an 'Extra'. That was pretty lame in my opinion. The only extras I really find annoying is numerous pages of stills or text. I have a hard time reading all that stuff. It's nice that it's there, but I'll usually go thru pictures once. And unless all the text stuff is intresting I'll avoid it. I do like the Text Commentaries though. :)

Well, 'More' can be better. It can also destroy some of the mystery of movies. Like the LOTR's EE's. There's way to much info there. Frankly, they could have made them 3-discers instead. 2 for the movie, 1 for the extras. I really don't need to know everything. But it's cool for those that do want to. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
12-22-2003, 03:44 AM
I watch almost every DVD's commentary, but I hate the commentaries that are a jumble of people that aren't in the same room that get edited together, and the ones where the director or whomever is the focus just drones on and on about "wow, this was great, blah blah blah, I remember how funny this scene was to shoot but have no story to expand upon, so here's exactly what you're seeing on screen now without any further explanation or backstory" like the Waynes World commentary track.

I liked the director with actor commentary track on MIB, especially with the telestrator (though no other Columbia DVD has used that telestrator as effectively).

I don't care for photo galleries in general because you can't zoom in on them, but some like TRON are pretty neat. Notes are almost always boring as hell, just print 'em in the box insert instead.

Extra scenes are usually great, especially with optional commentary or explanation/setup by the director like on Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back.

Bloopers are usually fun unless they were already used in the credits, like Charlie's Angels.

Animated menus can be fun at first, but after the first time, I fast-forward through 'em (and hate when you can't do that).

The multi-angle feature is so rarely used, but I like the idea of seeing a scene from another perspective. I get kinda tired of the "storyboard to movie" multi-angle though, except on the Shrek disc for unused storyboards where you are at the meetings where these storyboards are being run through.

On-screen trivia tracks can be fun, unless they're repeating the majority of the stuff you hear on other parts of the DVD or even at the same time on the audio commentary.

The "hit the enter button when you see the icon" things are generally annoying as hell, even the "follow the killer rabbit" ones on Monty Python and the Holy Grail got a bit stale, but I'd still keep them for the 138th viewings when I've seen it every other way as long as they're done fairly well.

If I never see the Harry Potter 1's game things again, it'll be too soon.

Some movies, like Spider-Man, seem like they have too many extras, but if the price doesn't go crazy, I'll live (and eventually watch all the extras :D).

If a film doesn't have every word of dialogue taken from the script AS IT WAS READ IN THE FILM in a subtitle track, it can go to hell. Subtitle track can make an unintelligible line make perfect sense, except when the person making the subtitles is more clueless about it than the viewer.

Documentaries can be good, but only if they have something to say and aren't basically just clip-jobs from the film. I having the documentaries there for some of the facets, but while I might want to learn about how the effects are done, I honestly don't care about documentaries of how the pencil is made that drew the storyboards, or the toil that goes into craft services on this shoot. And if you're going to do a tour of the production facilities, make it interesting like on the Monsters Inc set.

Some day, I'll have to check out the rest of the composer commentary tracks that have score-only, but to this day I've never sat through more than 4 minutes of that (and it was the legendary Danny Elfman on Pee Wee's Big Adventure).

I generally can't stand the notes on the cast & crew because the bulk of 'em are mega-abreviated versions of their IMDB details & bio. ;)

Um... what other features are there?

JediTricks
12-23-2003, 01:49 AM
Oh, another thing I thought of is Marketing & Trailers. While I like some of the interesting marketing like international posters (as long as they're different), unless it's an older movie, I really don't care squat for the trailers. Too many trailers these days feel so generic or just so pieced together from the films, no real catch, just the same old trailer-voiceover guy and scenes from the film.

Exhaust Port
12-23-2003, 09:42 AM
I didn't care for the game in the first Harry Potter movie. Don't lock away features so the only way to view them is by completing a 10 minute process.

Storyboards or any 2D art is pretty boring with only a few exceptions.

Access to exclusive online features. First, I don't have a DVD player on my computer, that is why I have the one hooked up to my TV. Second, how long will they support that online crap? In 10 years when I want to share stuff with my kids I'll be left with the stripped down DVD as the online stuff disappeared long ago.

Multi-angle stuff is pretty worthless too, at least any that I've seen haven't been great.

Documentaries that are just copies of broadcasts made on HBO or something which were orginally intended as a 1 hour advertisement for the movie. All they do is kiss the butts of the actors and hype up certain action scenes.

I wish there was a quick and easy way to pop in a disc and just watch the stinking movie. The media is getting bogged down with all these goofy menus. It can take a good 5 minutes to get everything set up to watch a movie. I would like to see a default setting on a DVD player that would do a quick load of a movie and allow us to skip even seeing any menus. It really bugs me that I can't at least fast forwards past the copyright warnings. Some of those take a minute or more to get through.

scruffziller
12-23-2003, 09:58 AM
Deleted Scenes but most of all when they can be incorperated into the rest of the film. That is why it chaffs my hide so badly when on Star Trek: TMP that the deleted scenes can't be incorperated into the film to make it like it was the Collector's Edition Version because that is what I knew in the beggining.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6918

Exhaust Port
12-23-2003, 11:03 AM
I almost prefer to see deleted scenes seperate from the rest of the movie. As we've seen and will see again with the SW movies, it can be impossible to watch an original version of a movie as directors take the DVD release as an opportunity to redo the movie. I don't mind that they would do this but it's a shame that we can't see the movie as it was originally seen in the theater. Give me the old version as well as the newer version on the DVD please.

stillakid
12-23-2003, 11:36 AM
Deleted Scenes but most of all when they can be incorperated into the rest of the film. That is why it chaffs my hide so badly when on Star Trek: TMP that the deleted scenes can't be incorperated into the film to make it like it was the Collector's Edition Version because that is what I knew in the beggining.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6918

I've been wanting something like this for Close Encounters. I made a VHS copy in which I edited in all the random deleted scenes from the different versions out there.

As an ultimate, it would be nice to have a menu of scene version choices from Star Wars so that we could pick our favorite additions from the SE and leave in the better stuff from the originals.

JediTricks
12-24-2003, 05:34 AM
Ugh, I forgot about DVD-ROM features and Online Content features, thanks for reminding me EP. Both of those can rot for all I care.

Some DVDs let you ff through the opening barrage of FBI naggings and menu animations. Every disc should allow that.

Unfortunately, incorporating deleted and alternate scenes into DVDs just isn't within the capability of a DVD player and a reasonably-filled disc, though the next step (HD-DVD) should have enough room on the disc and player to do exactly that.

evenflow
12-24-2003, 09:02 AM
Ugh, I forgot about DVD-ROM features and Online Content features, thanks for reminding me EP. Both of those can rot for all I care.

I have to agree, total waste for myself as well as the online content you spoke about earlier.

Exhaust Port
12-24-2003, 09:10 AM
Ugh, I forgot about DVD-ROM features and Online Content features, thanks for reminding me EP.
My pleasure. :D

Unfortunately, incorporating deleted and alternate scenes into DVDs just isn't within the capability of a DVD player and a reasonably-filled disc, though the next step (HD-DVD) should have enough room on the disc and player to do exactly that.
When is HD-DVD suppose to hit the market?

scruffziller
12-26-2003, 08:08 AM
Now wait a minute. I thought you could do that on the EPS1 DVD?

JediTricks
12-27-2003, 01:51 AM
Now wait a minute. I thought you could do that on the EPS1 DVD?
Not that I know of, but I don't own it either.

EP, I dunno when HD-DVD is supposed to hit the market anymore, originally it was fairly soon, but there's been some industry infighting about which version is going to be "the" version - think VHS versus Betamax, that's what they're trying to decide before it gets to market. Unfortunately, with HDTV stalling out here in the US, the HD-DVD format is going to feel the pinch there which is a darn shame since the format is supposed to be nearly as superior to DVD as DVD is to VHS.