PDA

View Full Version : What is that red game system?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-21-2003, 06:25 PM
I remember a few years ago, at TRU, there was always a video game system that you could play. You'd look down into something (I think) and that'd be the only thing you'd see. The graphics were only red and black, and there was a Wario game and maybe others. I'm wondering, what the hell was that? I remembered it last night for some reason.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
12-21-2003, 08:23 PM
I think you're referring to Virtual Boy.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-21-2003, 09:06 PM
I think you're referring to Virtual Boy.
Do you have any info on it?

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
12-21-2003, 09:28 PM
Virtual Boy is a 32-bit system made by Nintendo. Due to it's poor marketing, it didn't have much popularity. The only color it produced was red against a black background. If I remember correctly, it came out just before Nintendo 64 was released, so it's time in the spotlight was pretty short.

JediTricks
12-22-2003, 03:09 AM
And it makes you slightly ill after about 15 minutes of play, which is why they don't recommend playing it for longer. Another problem is they called it "Virtual Boy" but unlike the original cart-based portable it's named after which can go anywhere and be playable at the flick of a switch, the Virtual Boy requires a flat surface about torso-height to use it - in other words, you have to sit it on a table and peer into it to play. And that brings me to the other issue about Virtual Boy: it requires more set-up than any other game system I know of. You have to plug it in, pop in the game properly, set up the viewer on the table to the proper height, set the optics to your current focus and depth (which is in of itself can be quite time consuming), adjust the volume since the stereo speakers are built into the viewer and can be quite shrill and awful, then locate the controller and finally start playing. So you go through all that, and here's the kicker, Nintendo doesn't even get any great games that make full use of the View-Master-level pseudo-3D technology. Which is why I was able to get my Virtual Boy and whatever games I bought at the time for half a song at TRU once they cleared this turkey out.

scruffziller
12-22-2003, 03:40 AM
And it makes you slightly ill after about 15 minutes of play, which is why they don't recommend playing it for longer. Another problem is they called it "Virtual Boy" but unlike the original cart-based portable it's named after which can go anywhere and be playable at the flick of a switch, the Virtual Boy requires a flat surface about torso-height to use it - in other words, you have to sit it on a table and peer into it to play. And that brings me to the other issue about Virtual Boy: it requires more set-up than any other game system I know of. You have to plug it in, pop in the game properly, set up the viewer on the table to the proper height, set the optics to your current focus and depth (which is in of itself can be quite time consuming), adjust the volume since the stereo speakers are built into the viewer and can be quite shrill and awful, then locate the controller and finally start playing. So you go through all that, and here's the kicker, Nintendo doesn't even get any great games that make full use of the View-Master-level pseudo-3D technology. Which is why I was able to get my Virtual Boy and whatever games I bought at the time for half a song at TRU once they cleared this turkey out.
I don't think poor marketing is why it failed.:) From that description.

DewMan37
12-28-2003, 02:25 AM
It actually wasnt as bad as he said it was, I used to play mine for hours. Hell, i used to play it on long trips. The view adjustment thing only takes 2 secs, and you dont even really have to do it. The odd part is, it's only in red, but you dont notice it at all. I might have to dig mine out again. :)

JediTricks
12-29-2003, 12:17 AM
How did you play it on trips? If it strapped to your head, I could see it working that way, but it didn't.

Thrawn, who is a major gamer, says these are good titles for the system:
Galactic Pinball
Panic Bomber
Red Alarm
Teleroboxer
Water World
Vertical Force

(Sadly, I have none, maybe pinball but I'm not sure)

gsr-jedi
01-01-2004, 09:24 PM
It wasn't that bad, I just sat it on my lap to play. Mine doesn't work now though. And like JediTricks, I was able to get this uber cheap. I had Red Alarm, and can vouch, it was good (at least what I remember). Also, had a tennis game that was pretty good.

gsr-jedi
01-01-2004, 09:26 PM
Just looked these up on eBay. What's sad, is they now go for around $45. I'm pretty sure I payed less than that for mine and about 4 or 5 games.

Banthaholic
01-01-2004, 10:32 PM
I'm also a video game fiend. I picked up virtual boy a couple of years back. It is a pretty cool mahcine, but darn are you dizzy afterwards.
Looking for more info about it, check out this site
http://www.virtual-boy.org/

DewMan37
01-03-2004, 12:49 PM
I used to put a book in my lap, and set it on top of it. got uncomfortable, but meh.