PDA

View Full Version : Midichlorians: Doing things the Hard Way

stillakid
12-21-2003, 06:24 PM
"Lucas: The midi-chlorians have brought Anakin into being as 'the chosen one' who brings balance to the universe."

The Making of Episode 1, Random House, 1999.

Special thanks to resident JJBs for quoting this article elsewhere. It got me to thinking: If the Midichlorians had the power to spontaneously conceive a human being, wouldn't they also theoretically have the power to kill one as well?

That being the case, instead of creating a "chock full o' Midichlorians" savior for the galaxy, why didn't they instead just poison Palpatine's blood and nip it in the bud from the start?

Beast
12-21-2003, 06:47 PM
Well, I don't think the Midichlorians specifically conceived him to be the chosen one. He was conceieved by the Midichlorians, so he was destined to be the chosen one. The Jedi's foresaw this 'spontaneous conception' and based a prophecy on him. I don't think the midichlorians themselves actually have an adgenda, they just are. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
12-21-2003, 11:56 PM
Well, I don't think the Midichlorians specifically conceived him to be the chosen one. He was conceieved by the Midichlorians, so he was destined to be the chosen one. The Jedi's foresaw this 'spontaneous conception' and based a prophecy on him. I don't think the midichlorians themselves actually have an adgenda, they just are. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I don't understand the distinction you're making. :confused:

Anakin Palpatine
12-22-2003, 05:09 AM
Well, because that would make for a very short movie. I see your point though. Was Shmi the chosen mother?

CropDuster
01-04-2004, 12:46 AM
The only sense to be made is that midi's were a stupid thing to add into the storyline and by doing so GL muffed it up.

Beast
01-04-2004, 12:53 AM
The only sense to be made is that midi's were a stupid thing to add into the storyline and by doing so GL muffed it up.
If you read the thesis that was written on them, they actually really arn't that stupid of an idea. I like the inclusion, but that's just me. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

TheDarthVader
01-04-2004, 02:36 PM
I agree with JJB. I believe that if you take the time to learn all about the Midi's then you would understand the purpose behind them and why they are in the PT. I am glad Lucas included the Midi's in the PT. They help explain many things such as the biological aspects behind this "force".

JediTricks
01-04-2004, 10:36 PM
I believe that if you take the time to learn all about the Midi's then you would understand the purpose behind them and why they are in the PT. I almost never buy this as a reasoning, not just on Midis, but any film element that requires you to read some EU book or website to help straighten things out. If Lucas the filmmaker had really lofty and grand ideas that bring the midis to a greater fruition, then I think it was his duty to put more of those concepts into the film when we are primarily introduced to them, otherwise I think they come off as nigh-useless CPDs as currently portrayed. Personally, I still think my theory that QGJ was wrong about them makes them work on other levels, but since this is just as much an outside theory, it only works to me and anybody who subscribes to my theory as an after-the-fact patch-job.

* (CPD = contrived plot device)

stillakid
01-04-2004, 11:02 PM
I agree with JJB. I believe that if you take the time to learn all about the Midi's then you would understand the purpose behind them and why they are in the PT. I am glad Lucas included the Midi's in the PT. They help explain many things such as the biological aspects behind this "force".

I agree with JT. As an audience member, I shouldn't have to "take the time" to seek out and research what the filmmaker meant to say in order to understand and appreciate his intent. It's his primary JOB to put anything pertinent in the movie itself and not slack off expecting that his story will be explained later on in a book or on the DVD label. As it stands, the Midi's primary purpose in TPM is clearly as an easy way to "show" the audience that this kid has Force potential...and that's it. There is no other purpose for that element to be in the story.

CropDuster
01-05-2004, 01:52 AM
If you read the thesis that was written on them, they actually really arn't that stupid of an idea. I like the inclusion, but that's just me. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
Oh, silly me, I forgot about THE thesis. lol
C'mon this subject has been covered thoroughly and midi's obviously just complicate things since there were never EVER any implications of their existance in the original movies and from a biological standpoint they are impossible and paradoxical.
Put simple: GL dropped the ball.

Wrong.
They make no sense biologically, but then again I probably just need more time to learn about midi's their purpose.

Beast
01-05-2004, 02:02 AM
Actually, they do make sense biologically. Since the idea of Midiclorians was based on Mitochondria. Even without the information provided off the screen, they don't come off bad. They're just a means of measuring force potential. Without training, it doesn't matter anyway. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
01-05-2004, 03:13 AM
I understood the midichlorians in the movie just fine . . . and I never had to read any of those lame books for it to make sense to me.

meh.

stillakid
01-05-2004, 10:15 AM

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I'm still not sure I understand what you're getting at here. Are you suggesting that Midichlorians just randomly knock women up all around the galaxy? Shmi just happened to give birth to some kid who fulfills some fanciful "prophecy?" Your first statement above implies that Midi's just knocked Schmi up for no reason at all, but that conception just happened to have some special meaning to humans. So what compelled the Midi's to do this in the first place if they have no agenda? It couldn't have been because they were horny. Schmi isn't exactly smokin' hot or anything. Sure, maybe if they had their way with somebody like Padme then it might make sense, but otherwise I don't get it.

CropDuster
01-05-2004, 10:51 AM
Actually, they do make sense biologically. Since the idea of Midiclorians was based on Mitochondria. Even without the information provided off the screen, they don't come off bad. They're just a means of measuring force potential. Without training, it doesn't matter anyway. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

No they do not.
Mitochondria do not impregnate women, and they do not generate a mystical energy field that the body can utilize for movement and completing biological processes, they, simply put, just form ATP molecules.

Turambar
01-05-2004, 10:57 AM

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Explain how they make sense. Just saying, "I think they make sense" means nothing. There's a very long thread explaining point by point why they do not make sense which reached conclusion a while back. If you have something good to add to it feel free to continue that discussion, but I believe all bases were covered there.

Hey Stilla, I've heard that the midis were often drawn to tatooine cantinas during happy hour. The "beer goggle" thesis might explain how Shmi became their "chosen one." You might be able to catch a glimpse of them in a dark corner of the mos eisley cantina if you look closely.

CropDuster
01-05-2004, 11:09 AM
Explain how they make sense. Just saying, "I think they make sense" means nothing. There's a very long thread explaining point by point why they do not make sense which reached conclusion a while back. If you have something good to add to it feel free to continue that discussion, but I believe all bases were covered there.

Hey Stilla, I've heard that the midis were often drawn to tatooine cantinas during happy hour. The "beer goggle" thesis might explain how Shmi became their "chosen one." You might be able to catch a glimpse of them in a dark corner of the mos eisley cantina if you look closely.
Now the thesis is making sense! lol
I guess I DID need to read more to understand midi's.

What it really comes down to for me anyway is that in the OT the force was sufficiently explained and I never heard any confusion until the midi-monkey wrench was thrown into the story to help "explain" things when in reality it has just complicated the story.
I like the idea that Qui-Gon was eccentric. That would be the best way for Lucas rectify his error.

stillakid
01-05-2004, 04:38 PM

Will they come carded or as part of a Cinema Scene?

Turambar
01-05-2004, 05:04 PM
Will they come carded or as part of a Cinema Scene?

Actually, I think that Wol Cabas****e coming next year is actually an ancient midichlorian just dropping by Jabba's palace to check on his grandchildren, Leia & Luke.

CropDuster
01-05-2004, 11:54 PM
I almost never buy this as a reasoning, not just on Midis, but any film element that requires you to read some EU book or website to help straighten things out. If Lucas the filmmaker had really lofty and grand ideas that bring the midis to a greater fruition, then I think it was his duty to put more of those concepts into the film when we are primarily introduced to them, otherwise I think they come off as nigh-useless CPDs as currently portrayed. Personally, I still think my theory that QGJ was wrong about them makes them work on other levels, but since this is just as much an outside theory, it only works to me and anybody who subscribes to my theory as an after-the-fact patch-job.

* (CPD = contrived plot device)

What a great point JT!
If it is an important point in the story, please do not expect me to study up on the topic from some literature slapped together by some second rate author. PUT IT IN THE FILM!
I don't put much value in the EU, considering that it is at times contradictory and the rest of the time usually just sucks.

CropDuster
01-10-2004, 01:19 PM
Special thanks to resident JJBs for quoting this article elsewhere. It got me to thinking: If the Midichlorians had the power to spontaneously conceive a human being, wouldn't they also theoretically have the power to kill one as well?

That being the case, instead of creating a "chock full o' Midichlorians" savior for the galaxy, why didn't they instead just poison Palpatine's blood and nip it in the bud from the start?

That quote definitely implies that the midi's have an affiliation with the good side of the force. Surely if the midi's have the ability to create the chosen one then they won't have anything to do with the dark side of the force.
So does that mean that the sith are loaded up on "sithosomes" which produce dark force; and can be explained biologically because "sithosome" sounds a lot like "lysosome"? (That is the biological explanation I have heard as to why midi's make sense.)

Turambar
01-10-2004, 02:19 PM
That quote definitely implies that the midi's have an affiliation with the good side of the force. Surely if the midi's have the ability to create the chosen one then they won't have anything to do with the dark side of the force.
So does that mean that the sith are loaded up on "sithosomes" which produce dark force; and can be explained biologically because "sithosome" sounds a lot like "lysosome"? (That is the biological explanation I have heard as to why midi's make sense.)

An interesting idea. Since the midichlorians chose anakin to eventually rid the universe of the dark side, one would suspect they are linked to the light side. Does this mean that palpatine and other sith are actually genetically predisposed to evil?

And since nobody ever answered why midichlorians, as they are explained, cannot be replicated and used to make more jedi, then why couldn't the sithosomes be treated the same to produce a new apprentice when necessary. The secret to palpatines origin: one day in lab he accidently stuck himself with a syringe of sith particles. The rest is history.