PDA

View Full Version : dial up stinks....

derek
12-21-2003, 09:19 PM
the hard drive crashed on my pentium 4 the other day, and with it being christmas, all my cash is tied up, so i've had to dust the cob webs off an old pentium 2 and connect via the old 56K modum. man, did my "newer" fast DSL computer connection really spoil me. i don't know how much longer i can take this slow connection and the constant disconnections. any other forumites suffering the wrath of low bandwidths and slow computers from 1995? :p

Exhaust Port
12-21-2003, 09:47 PM
About 9-12 months ago I was still using my extremely old Pentium Pro 233MHz (I believe) with a cable modem. It was trying to shoot a fire hose through a straw. Tons of bandwidth but no power to handle it. It finally died and I've moved on to a Pentium IV 2000MHz or something like that with the same cable modem. I'm finally benefiting from the faster connection.

I can feel your pain derek. Slow computers make even the most routine tasks frustrating. I remember turning it on, leaving to go to the bathroom, brush my teeth, get something to eat and come back to find the computer still booting up. :)

Speaking of computer speeds though, remember when processor version and MHz meant something? I don't even really know what I have in my big gray box and it doesn't matter. Even a few years ago, if you were 100MHz slower you could be really pushing your luck when trying to run some games or programs. Now you barely have to think twice about it. If your computer was bought in the last 2-3 years your still going strong.

plasticfetish
12-21-2003, 10:49 PM
any other forumites suffering the wrath of low bandwidths and slow computers from 1995? :p
I don't know about suffering ... but I've a Pentium 1 (300mhz) and a Pentium 2 (350mhz) that I'm using right now. Both networked and running on a cable line without any problems. Try going out and picking up a network card for around $10 to see if you can run your older computer on the DSL. You'd be surprised at how a broadband connection can help just about any computer.

Only problems I ever had getting online with any box, was back when I had to use AOL as my dial-up ... complete hell.

Geez, I've an old 33mhz Dell (pushed to 100mhz) that I found in an alley hooked up to my network, and it works well enough. For browsing a site like this, or checking your mail it works just fine.

JediTricks
12-22-2003, 02:08 AM
My machine is a PentII 300mhz on 56k dialup from Earthlink, who is ok but has problems, and then the friggin' modem in here has occasional lockups as well. SirSteve is always buggin' me about getting an upgrade, and I actually did but had no monitor to go with it, so it went to my business partner who already had DSL. For me, I'm used to dialup, but as the web gears more and more towards high-speed users on only the most high-tech browsers, it does become quite frustrating. In general, I don't give a carp about all the bells and whistles of a page when I'm using the internet, so I generally surf with javascript and CSS off, and except for SSG, I even surf with images off. If surfing the web on dialup is like riding a bicycle to and from school every day carrying 6 classes worth of work, then surfing on dialup with images off is like taking that same trip except without the books. :D

plasticfetish
12-22-2003, 03:35 AM
My machine is a PentII 300mhz ...
You shouldn't have any problems running newer browsers and stuff ... but you're still using an older OS aren't you? (Why is that exactly anyway?)

I stuck Windows ME on my machines a while back and haven't had any problems. I can use Photoshop (have 6.0), ImageReady, Flash MX and just about any other that I need ... not going to be able to do any big video editing or play the latest games, but I don't do that anyway.

I will say, I visited the Mac store in South Coast Plaza the other day ... they had some nice stuff. But, I did a test ... filtered a 100mb image on the new G5 and then came home to do basicly the same on my Pentium 2. It took the G5 five seconds to do what it took my 5+ year old IBM to do in thirty seconds. For sure that Mac's a fantastic tool, but we're only talking about 25 seconds difference there.

scruffziller
12-22-2003, 02:06 PM
the hard drive crashed on my pentium 4 the other day, and with it being christmas, all my cash is tied up, so i've had to dust the cob webs off an old pentium 2 and connect via the old 56K modum. man, did my "newer" fast DSL computer connection really spoil me. i don't know how much longer i can take this slow connection and the constant disconnections. any other forumites suffering the wrath of low bandwidths and slow computers from 1995? :pYea I agree with PF, you could still use your DSL with your old computer. It might not be as fast as using the P4 but it still will probably be faster than dial up.

derek
12-22-2003, 04:02 PM
the hard drive on this computer isn't even 2 gig. it's only got 170 mb left of space. i don't even think the DSL software would fit on this computer's "C" drive. but thanks for the advice guys. i'll just wait untill the new year and go buy a new hard drive for my pentium 4.:) no point in spending any money on this old computer......i just wanted to gripe. ;)

bobafrett
12-26-2003, 10:37 AM
I have no idea what kind of computer I have. A friend put it together for me, but it works, and I have DSL. I was at my brothers place this past week, and they are in the backwoods with just dial-up. Man, do I hope never to go back to that again. I hope your computer problems get fixed soon Derek!