PDA

View Full Version : What Is Your Favorite Music From The Star Wars Movies?

Tycho
12-22-2003, 01:44 PM
For me, literally half the reason the Star Wars movies seem so big and so epic is because of John Williams' incredibly awesome musical scores. The music of Star Wars makes every film as listenable to as a symphony concert, with character themes and mood tones set for the sound that are as comfortable as old leather.

With a new soundtrack being written for Episode 3 as we speak, I thought it would be a nice change of pace to focus on this aspect of this movies.

Personally, my favorite Star Wars music can revolve around what's sort of my own "Top 10" greatest hits or so, but there is usually one particular piece or another of John Williams' execellent collection of work that gets triggered in my head any given day when I wake up to my huge Star Wars collection that so dominates my home decore. Right now as I write this, I can hear the new ending-celebration score from Return of the Jedi's special edition play in my head, and I think I could just listen to that for hours inside my mind, or I could even whistle along. It may even prompt me to put on the movie in the background while I work - or at least the soundtrack.

What is your favorite Star Wars music?

jjreason
12-22-2003, 02:34 PM
Great topic! My vote was for Yoda's theme, I hope I've picked the right piece (the music playing while Luke is training on Dagobah in ESB is the piece I had in mind). I was very close to choosing "Duel of the Fates", such a powerful piece and the inclusion of choral voices is amazing. Other favourite music-moments for me include the Snowspeeders searching for Han and Luke (also used beautifully in the Nintendo 64 Shadows of the Empire during the Snowspeeder scene at the beginning), the Millenium Falcon escaping into the asteroid field in ESB (pretty easy to see that ESB is my favorite soundtrack as well as chapter) and the Imperial March whenever it comes on. It also can't be overstated that the main theme blaring from studio speakers at earsplitting volume the first time you see a new chapter in the Saga is magical. Nothing like it, and it will likely only happen for us one more time each. Can't wait.

Darth Jax
12-22-2003, 03:27 PM
as a kid i always loved the cantina band. such an eclectic mix of instruments. overall i'd say my favorite is vader's theme followed closely by the main title theme. always a spark of joy to hear the music flare and the opening scroll come across the screen.

so much of star wars is tied to the music. for years i even associated the drums and spotlights of 20th century fox with star wars.

bigbarada
12-22-2003, 03:53 PM
I've always liked Yoda's ESB theme best followed closely by Princess Leia's ANH theme. They're the segments of the soundtracks that I most often listen to when I need to relax.

My write in choice would be the Asteroid Chase theme from ESB, it's great to listen to while driving and weaving in and out of traffic (not recommended for the faint of heart however :crazed: )

stillakid
12-22-2003, 04:13 PM
The entire sequence when Yoda explains what the Force is to Luke on Dagobah (odd, with no mention of Midichlorians...strange, no?) is perhaps one of my favorite sequences in any of the films. Not only his his soliloquey unrivaled by any of the other dialogue in the film, but the sweeping music adds to the epic, yet personal, sense of triumph and tragedy at the same time.

dr_evazan22
12-22-2003, 04:30 PM
Good choice and explanation stilla. Actually, you've all made excellent choices.

But my personal favorite is "Binary Sunset" from ANH. There have been plenty of times where I've felt what I imagine Luke was feeling as he was looking out over the desert.

Close seconds and thirds are/ is the music that is played when the Jawa's are around in ANH (The Dune Sea of Tat, Jawa Sandcrawler, The Moisture Farm) and Cantina Band 2.

Tycho
12-22-2003, 04:41 PM
I thought that the twin sunset scene music could be classified as the same piece as the Yavin Ceremony theme music, just played differently. I mean it's the same rhythm by that.

I love that music, and you hear it several times now: as Luke departs to rescue Han and Leia on Bespin, and when Anakin leaves Padme to ride off into the desert in search of his mother. - Oh and Vader's funeral pyre scene, too, as well as Qui-Gon asking Shmi about the past, and who really was Anakin's father.

I voted this way myself, but counted the twin suns scene as the same music, from a certain point of view.

El Chuxter
12-22-2003, 06:25 PM
Duuuuuude, you left off some of the all-time classics:

The Jawa Theme
Into the Trap
Tusken Raider Theme
Sail Barge Assault (AKA Return of the Jedi)
Luke & Leia's Theme
The Flag Parade
Bespin Theme
Augie's Great Municipal Band
Ewok Celebration
Victory Celebration

And many more! :)

I'm torn between The Imperial March and Into the Trap, but I'll go with Into the Trap.

JediTricks
12-22-2003, 11:20 PM
Binary Sunset is mostly Luke's theme (the hero theme) with some overtones of Ben's theme (The Force theme). This is why it's complicated to ask about favorites, so many of the themes are deftly weaved or recycled throughout the movies (especially the OT), such as Leia's theme when Obi-Wan is struck down, or Yoda's theme when Leia, Lando & the gang are making their way to the Falcon on Cloud City.

Personally, I voted for the Main theme, though Ben's theme, the Imperial March, Luke's theme, the ESB asteroid chase, the cantina songs, Lapti Nek, the Ewok march (which I usually think of as the Jawas theme/Jawa Sandcrawler for some reason, I think the 2 may share cues), the Emperor's theme, the classic 20th Century Fox logo music, and Leia's theme are all top choices for me (in no specific order). I usually think of the main theme, Ben's theme, the Imperial march, and the Ewok march the most though.

My favorite little cue is when we first meet Ben in ANH, there's those magical little chimes and then it breaks into Ben's theme. It's like the point in the story when the sci-fi stuff decides it is going to step aside and share the screen with the magic. I made a file out of that as my Windows startup music.

In general I really don't care for the prequels' music. Duel of the Fates is memorable for me, I consider it "ok", but it doesn't have that SW or Indiana Jones level of magic to my ears.

plasticfetish
12-23-2003, 01:08 AM
I like the one that goes ... dum, dum, da, da, da, dum, dum, na, na, na, dum, dum, da ... that one's good.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

You know, to be honest ... the 20th Century Fox Fanfare (http://www.reelclassics.com/Audio_Video/Music3d/20fox-fanfare.mp3) played really loud at the very beginning is what gets me every time.

[KOC] Darklighter
12-23-2003, 02:58 AM
Where the battle of hoth theme? the part when the snow speeders 1st get to see the atat's that tune is really cool!

Anyways i voted for Imperial March cause its the most rpresentative and its stuck in my head since i was a little kid.

new music, like across the stars and duel of fates is really good too, hopefully Master composer John William will give us a lot of good themes on the next movie :)

Tycho
12-23-2003, 04:49 AM
Actually, I was thinking about that, and figured that as part of the transition to the Classic movies, the E3 soundtrack may be largely repetative of previously used music (and no spoilers follow).

Here's what I think we'll definitely hear:

Vader's Theme (Imperial March) - what a given! Mostly for the Empire's birth. This might be the start music to the duel, but the fight doesn't end triumphantly for Anakin as we know Kenobi kicked his butt, so it won't be used long in the actual duel.

Emperor's Theme (as Anakin decides to take to evil and Sidious makes his move) This could also be used in the duel as it was with Luke and Vader in ROTJ.

The Force Theme - another possibly used in the duel between Obi-Wan and Anakin, it wouldn't surprise me. It would pair up with Vader vs. Luke in the starfighter battle in ANH. It's a tragic theme, and their fight is a tragic one. I think the movie might also end with this music as we see Ben take baby Luke to the Lars homestead.

Duel of the Fates - also a candidate for that climatic lightsaber duel, as this tune symbolizes the Jedi vs. Sith. It may also be used for any turning to the Dark Side point, to - like it was used in Anakin's journey into darkness as he races towards his confrontation with the Dark Side as he searches for the Tusken Raiders that took his mom. This may be more appropriate for the fight with Dooku.

Across the Stars - this will barely be used, but in any tender moment between Anakin and Padme, before war separates them once again, this will be played very briefly.

Uh...duh... the Title Theme will be used for the Title Scroll like usual of course.

But yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think they'll definitely reuse Classic movie themes.

I love Across the Stars, but here again, I think it will be almost totally limited to Episode 2.

Anyway, those were just my thoughts.

scruffziller
12-23-2003, 08:09 AM
I chose Imperial March.

The opening Scroll is an extremely close second, Luke's theme (as looks across the Tatooine Horizon at the setting dual suns) extrememly close third and Duel of the Fates is an extremely close fourth. It is the Imperial March of the PT. Across the Stars is an extremely close fifth. As for an "other", my sixth choice would be the original Ewok Song at the end of ROTJ.:D

Mandalorian Candidat
12-23-2003, 10:57 AM
They're all great, except for Jar Jar's theme (come on Tycho, how can you put that one on and leave off the cantina song(s)?)

If you twisted my arm I would pick the Throne Room theme. IMO it's the best ending of any of the films and the best ending theme. It's just so kick-A and even more powerful than the Imperial March.

My favorite musical suite is the end credits for ESB. Just awesome. The ending fanfare is also the coolest. I use as my 'empirical evidence' the fact that it's been the ending theme for almost all the prequel trailers.

Great poll, Tycho. The only problem is that (most of) the themes are just so great that it's like picking which of the 31 Baskin-Robbins flavors you are going to have.

El Chuxter
12-23-2003, 12:26 PM
Tycho, I hope the film ends with Luke & Leia's theme from ROTJ playing as we watch the binary suns set over Obi-Wan Kenobi, holding a swaddled baby and standing outside the Lars homestead.

skeeziks22
12-23-2003, 12:37 PM
I would have to choose the cantina song... not necessarily because it is the best music, but because it begins to show that this planet/galaxy is full of "people" doing whatever they can where ever they can to make a living. You already saw the dirt and grit of moisture farming (although the cut scenes there show it in more detail) and now you see a struggling band playing in a seedy bar with no one there seeming to give a rat's a%& if they play or not... as long as there is a drink on the table.

For background themes (the audience hears, but the characters do not) I would put the Imperial March (although every college band thinks it's their school's theme song) and the Duel of the Fates tied at the top.

Just a side note... hopefully on the next soundtrack there won't be any song titles that give away what happens in the movie. I was really peaved when I picked up the Phantom Meneace soundtrack in the store weeks before the movie came out just to see "Qui-Gon dies" or something to that effect as a title. What genius came up with that title? The title "Duel of the Fates" doesn't tell any specifics about the action yet you can tell what it is talking about once you've seen the movie... that's all a title needs to be.

Maximillian Phokas
12-23-2003, 04:16 PM
Oh there'll all good, but the chart-topper HAS to be The Imperial March! I mean this is one of the all-time bad-*** songs! How many of us have played this in our car at top volume sailing down the highway?

There are two really good versions of this. The first, of course is the ORiginal version in the Empire soundtrack. But the other, more ceremonial one, also is briefly played in Jedi as "Arrival of the Emperor". That's just a beautiful rendition!

A CLOSE second it the end theme for ANH, the throne room ceremonial "Force Theme", which is just awe inspiring!

Turambar
12-23-2003, 05:41 PM
I voted other because its that binary sunset scene that always draws me into the OT. The scene & music are perfect, really adding depth to Luke's character without any dialogue or action.

The only thing comparable to it for me is the music at Vader's funeral pyre (was that changed in the SE?). It was similar music and seemed a fitting closure to the adventure that began after the binary sunset years before.

evenflow
12-23-2003, 07:24 PM
Well I am not sure if it is one of the options, but my favorite music is when Luke is looking at the two suns on Tatooine.

stillakid
12-23-2003, 08:51 PM
Oh there'll all good, but the chart-topper HAS to be The Imperial March! I mean this is one of the all-time bad-*** songs! How many of us have played this in our car at top volume sailing down the highway?

(crickets chirping)

(drip drip drip)

(distant barking)

:ermm:

Masterdorkboy
12-23-2003, 11:05 PM
I definitely dug the cantina music, man that was awesome to see all that for the very first time, and the music was perfect. However, I've always loved Yoda's Theme. The most moving scene for me was an older, smaller Yoda lifting that X-Wing.

Devo
12-28-2003, 03:48 PM
I went for Han and Leia's theme. I especially like its use at the end of ESB.

By the way has John Williams ever explained why he used Leia's theme when Obi-wan is killed? Its effective but quite a peculiar choice. Had he not decided at that time that that would be Leia's theme?

Tycho
12-28-2003, 04:26 PM
Since the music was first used in Star Wars for the "You're my only hope" part - both R2's transmission, but a snippet before that as Leia's hiding in the engineering section of the Tantive IV, I think the music was actually intended to be like an "Old Republic HOPE" theme.

Leia's mission was to find a Knight of the Old Republic - her only hope. It was a desperate plea to a fading light of an older order.

Then the torch was being passed as Obi-Wan gave himself to the Force, and Luke became it's new bright flame, A NEW HOPE.

So actually, I don't think it's actually Leia's theme to be precise, though for convenience, somebody's titled it that way before.

Luke and Leia don't actually seem to have a theme per se - or it changes.

Leia's music in ESB and ROTJ plays with her love theme with Han.

However, when Luke and Leia talk in the Ewok Village, there is a new brother-sister theme played. So I think that they are always evolving as the story progresses, and Luke's "New Hope" is constantly changing, as he can certainly go down the dark path at any time during the OT.

Looking at the other characters, they actually don't entirely have a constant theme:

Anakin has that unique innocent theme, used only for him, almost exclusively while he's a 9 year old. With Padme, the Across the Stars theme plays up. Then as he turns towards the Dark Side, what's traditionally been thought of as The Emperor's Theme is used in the Lars' garage as Anakin confesses to committing the slaughter. Of course the Darth Vader theme is used thereafter, once he's in black, but it is only lightly hinted at with him OUT OF THE ARMOR, while the Imperial March (same theme) is used for the massing of the Grand Army of the Republic at the end of the film.

And people still aren't getting that "The Force Theme" or Destiny Calling (Luke looking at the twin sunsets) is the same piece in the Yavin Ceremony Theme, just played differently.

So with imprecise language, and music being more emotional than linguistically describable, I think it sort of explains your delemma. But I'm not John Williams, so don't take my answer for it.

Devo
12-28-2003, 07:19 PM
that sounds like it might well have been what he intended....

bobafrett
12-28-2003, 07:41 PM
I went with the Imperial march. I find it gives me goose pimples everytime I hear it. I imagine Darth Vader walking into a room, with Stormtroopers not far behind. To this day it remains one of my favorite musical pieces in any movie, Star Wars or otherwise. I like it so much, I use the music on my answering machine!

JediTricks
12-28-2003, 09:35 PM
By the way has John Williams ever explained why he used Leia's theme when Obi-wan is killed? Its effective but quite a peculiar choice. Had he not decided at that time that that would be Leia's theme?Here's what it says in the ANH:SE cd booklet...

Ben Kenobi's Death starts with the Force theme as the Jedi looks to Luke, then smiles knowingly at Vader before saluting his nemesis, forfeiting the duel. Interestingly, Williams uses Princess Leia's theme at the moment Ben vanishes, deferring to the purely musical effectiveness of the sweeping melody over any apparent thematic relevance, although the theme does reinforce the connection between the Princess and the old Jedi suggested by her holographic message.

Tycho, the tune is "Binary Sunset".

fishyfett
01-05-2004, 09:40 AM
There's just too much music to love in this Saga. I guess it depends on my mood. While the 'Force' theme kinda relaxes me, the 'Jawa' theme amuses me. But when I'm at work, especially by myself, those 'Battle' themes get me going. Nothing beats a fast paced tune while you're playing all the action in your mind. Before I knew it, it's time to go home. :D

JediTricks
01-06-2004, 02:54 AM
Oh, another one I like and think about a lot is the Death Star Trench theme.