PDA

View Full Version : The Butterfly Effect.

scruffziller
12-22-2003, 06:51 PM
The concept looks pretty cool but once again they are using the dumb WB "make it nongeeky" formula. Super heros without costumes, timetravel without timemachines. What's next, a SW movie/show were the Jedi don't have lightsabres.:rolleyes:

Beast
12-22-2003, 07:08 PM
My opinion. I don't think you've really gotten the premise of the film. It has nothing to do with Superheroes, unless you were just using that as an example of WB's strangeness. And while it does have time travel as an aspect of the story, the movie makes the mind the means to achieve it. The real important aspect of the movie is the 'Butterfly Effect', particularly the meaning of it.

The real 'Butterfly Effect' is the propensity of a system to be sensitive to initial conditions. Such systems over time become unpredictable, this idea gave rise to the notion of a butterfly flapping it's wings in one area of the world,causing a tornado or some such weather event to occur in another remote area of the world. One minor change, causes another, and another, and on and on until the end result is something unpredictable/unexpected.

Meaning, what making one seemingly minor change to the timeline would do to the events that surround it. Change a single thing, causes several other things to change, which causes several other things to change, and on and on and on. Until it literally encorperates thousands even millions of changes. Some of them severe. It seems to me almost like a 'Time Travel' movie in the style of 'Altered States'. It's not going to be for everyone, that's for sure. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

kool-aid killer
12-22-2003, 07:09 PM
From seeing the previews it doesnt look interesting to me at all. Perhaps its because Ashton Kutcher is in it. Im having a hard time picturing him in a serious movie. He just seems better suited to the moronic things that have gotten him famous. Or maybe its because of how he talks on Punkd. It looks like he may be trying to improve his image so that Hollywood wont pigeonhole him in lame comedies.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-22-2003, 07:27 PM
Ashton Kutcher; may he die a fiery painful death at the hands of an angry mob. I LOATHE the very air this man breathes. The only reason he gets ANY press is because he's gettin' it on w/ Demi "I can't find a guy my own age" Moore. He's such an a-- too; hey, look at me, i wear trucker hats and act kooky, so everybody pay attention to me!! I read he has a degree in like physics or something, but you'd never think it as he never shows his intelligence. What a waste of college years and $$ that must've been.

The concept of the movie looks interesting, but i lost ALL interest seeing Ashton in the previews. I'm sure it'll make at least 50-60 million as there are lots of 17 year old girls who love the guy and will pay 8.50 to see it.

Whatever happened to making quality films with good actors? Have the LOTR Saga taught film makers NOTHING?!?!?! :D

Turbowars
12-22-2003, 08:25 PM
It's the same old Time Machine and Back to the future kind of thing. It's hard to be original these days.

scruffziller
12-23-2003, 05:32 AM
Ashton Kutcher; may he die a fiery painful death at the hands of an angry mob. I LOATHE the very air this man breathes. He's such an a-- too; hey, look at me, i wear trucker hats and act kooky.
HEE HEE!!!:D JMG, your a riot!!!!!

True, but the guy is from my home state and my best friend's dad is employed by the company that was on that green hat he was wearing; John Deere. My friend is unemployed right now and his dad is helping him out. They almost went on strike here a few months ago and who knows, Ashton advertising John Deere may have saved the workers from going on strike because the company might have been making more money to make the agreement that kept the workers working. Now what is funny though is when we were at ROTK and saw this trailer, my friend(the unemployed one) said "Uh I'm gonna puke." So he initially agrees with you JMG. I felt like telling him then, (and I probably will) "hey, he is probably saving your a--."

Mandalorian Candidat
12-23-2003, 11:02 AM
I saw the preview at the RotK screening and laughed outloud. I was waiting for hosebag to say, "Dude, where's my girlfriend?"

This is a total ripoff of that Christopher Reeve movie where he travels back in time to search for that old chick, I think it's called Somewhere In Time.