PDA

View Full Version : Which "character" would have made a more likely Darth Vader?

stillakid
12-22-2003, 10:59 PM
Personally, I don't think that Lucas's "Anakin" character as portrayed by both Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christenson, really manages to convey a convincing picture of someone capable of "becoming" Darth Vader.

So the question is: which character, fiction or non-fiction, has what it takes to be a more likely candidate to becoming Vader?

After watching A League of Their Own today, I realized that the character of Kit Keller (Lori Petty) has more reason to "become" Darth Vader than Anakin Skywalker does. While a lot of her ranting and raving is just as unjustified as Anakin's is (Hayden), her internal conflict was far more convincing in one film than Anakin's will wind up being over 3.

My second nomination is, oddly enough, Sam Monroe from Life As A House, which just so happened to be played by Hayden Christenson. Again, in the course of one film, this character managed to convey a sense of internal turmoil over events which he has allowed to rule his life. The choices he makes as a result tend to be self-destructive in nature. The film shows the character being redeemed in the end, but he very easily could have continued down a "dark path." I think that Sam Monroe would have made a better Darth Vader than Anakin will.

My third nomination is from the non-fiction world. After reading a rather sad account of his life today in the newspaper, I believe that Saddam Hussein essentially became a real life Darth Vader. Not for any forced and concocted reasons, as we saw in AOTC, but for a very real and emotional molding that took place early on in his life. I'd wager a bet to say that most demagogues followed a similar pattern of abandonment, abuse, and fanatical upbringing which takes them to a point where they are unable or unwilling to fully empathize with their "victims." I think that we clearly see that sort of quality in Darth Vader throughout the OT, yet the Prequel version of Anakin does not adequately set up a childhood which would lead to such a monster.

Detective Alonzo Harris (Denzel Washington) in Training Day is a man without true empathy. Though we don't know much about him prior to meeting him when the movie starts, it is clear that he lacks the capacity to comprehend the true ramifications of his selfish acts. Similar to the bratty behavior of Anakin in AOTC, yet somehow far more believable. Whether that is because we simply do not know why he is the way he is, or because of the stellar performance by Denzel, I believe that Alonzo Harris would have made a far more believable Darth Vader.

2-1B
12-25-2003, 12:28 AM
"stellar performance by Denzel" ? ? ?
But didn't you know that Denzel only won an Oscar because he's black? :lol:
Just kidding, (well not really because many people really said that - even though a very pasty Ethan Hawke was nominated as Supporting for the very same film :rolleyes: ) but seriously, I agree that DW was awesome in that movie and your evaluation of his lack of empathy is pretty dead on. :)

Sam Monroe, good choice I guess, it's definitely a great performance of course. He himself is redeemed in his own little story arc but I don't see him as a Vader type persona. If anything, I think he's MORE bratty than you find Anakin to be but that's just my personal reaction. Sam Monroe is more into whining about his family life, doing drugs, and getting off (whether alone with an aerosol can or with Jena Malone . . . mmmmmmm, Jena Malone :kiss: ).

The very first character I thought of when I read your question, stillakid, and I wonder if you agree, is Gary Oldman's Dracula from Coppola's movie. I'm talking about those early scenes of him as a young dude. Well actually, I think he pretty much DOES become Darth Vader but I assume it would be more to your liking than what we are seeing in Star Wars?

I mean, here's a guy who goes balls out for 'justice' and the 'church' only to lose his love to suicide and a callous damnation of her soul by an uppity 'cleric.' Maybe it's just me, but I think that could fit into the Jedi scenario quite well?

Anakin and Obi-Wan, partners in buttkicking, going around doing the leg work for the Jedi Council. They somehow fail to protect the love of Anakin's life, his mother or Padme, whatever, he gets little respect, and turns on them because he PERCEIVES them as being full of BS. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't, what matters is that Anakin sees them that way.

I dunno, I'm not a writer . . . and even still, I see shades of that in SW anyway. It's just not as 'adult' or whatever . . . :)

stillakid
12-25-2003, 01:57 PM
The very first character I thought of when I read your question, stillakid, and I wonder if you agree, is Gary Oldman's Dracula from Coppola's movie. I'm talking about those early scenes of him as a young dude. Well actually, I think he pretty much DOES become Darth Vader but I assume it would be more to your liking than what we are seeing in Star Wars?

I mean, here's a guy who goes balls out for 'justice' and the 'church' only to lose his love to suicide and a callous damnation of her soul by an uppity 'cleric.' Maybe it's just me, but I think that could fit into the Jedi scenario quite well?

Wow, good choice! :) As fate would have it, I'm actually reading Bram Stoker's Dracula right now (on my nifty Samsung I700 Pocket PC!). I think you're right. Maybe the problem with the Prequels (in my mind) is that there is too much time to develop Anakin's motivations. Putting too much out there opens up the floor for a lot of evaluation. On the other hand, as in Dracula, if the author cuts to the chase, it is easier to accept what the intention is.

Dracula. Yeah! :evil:

scruffziller
12-25-2003, 06:13 PM
Well actually I think Vader is best represented by Hitler. If you study Hitler's life, it is basically the story of Anikin.

I also had a thread dedicated to the discussion of how Vader is parralled with Dracula too.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18375&highlight=Dracula

Kidhuman
01-18-2004, 12:10 PM
HOw about the kid from Catcher in the Rye, Hayden Caufiled, if I recall correctly. All lost up in his own world to find the perfect person and all. Holden Caufield......ack I know it begins with H and isnt Harry.

sith_killer_99
01-18-2004, 12:21 PM
Harry Potter! The kid is definatly evil!

LOL

Keanu Reeves from "The Devil's Advocate"! Like Al says to him, "It wasn't that you didn't care, it was just that you cared about someone else a little more. Vanity! It's my favorite sin."

CaptainSolo1138
01-23-2004, 02:28 PM
Tommy (Joe Pesci) from Goodfellas. After O-Billy Batts- Kenobi tells him to go get his helmet shining box, Darth Mobster would stomp him to a bloody mess on the floor. Or maybe just do a force choke thingy. I don't know. Thats why I don't write movies.

2-1B
01-23-2004, 10:25 PM
Cool, then he could stop at Shmi's to have dinner and "borrow" Shmi's rug. :D

CaptainSolo1138
01-23-2004, 10:32 PM
And then dig him up six monthes later because someone is building a new cantina! "A leg, a lightsaber, a wing!"

stillakid
01-24-2004, 02:13 AM
Tommy (Joe Pesci) from Goodfellas. After O-Billy Batts- Kenobi tells him to go get his helmet shining box, Darth Mobster would stomp him to a bloody mess on the floor. Or maybe just do a force choke thingy. I don't know. Thats why I don't write movies.

Actually that's not bad. Ever think of doing a fan-film?

Kidhuman
01-24-2004, 03:57 AM
Cool, then he could stop at Shmi's to have dinner and "borrow" Shmi's rug. :D

Actually, they took her knife, not a rug

CaptainSolo1138
01-24-2004, 02:56 PM
Actually that's not bad. Ever think of doing a fan-film?

I don't have the motivation! I'll just stick with smart-@$$ posts for now. :D

Darth Kirk
02-12-2004, 08:26 PM
Stillakid, what do you think of Shelly's Frankenstein or his monster.. I think both of them could be cool candidates.. The monster because he tried so damned hard to fit in, but all them damned people kept rejecting him.. And Dr. Frankie himself, who was torn at his soul by what he had created and was forced to use his dead bride to create a bride for the monster.. Now that is agony and anguish waiting to be turned.. What u think??

stillakid
02-12-2004, 10:22 PM
Stillakid, what do you think of Shelly's Frankenstein or his monster.. I think both of them could be cool candidates.. The monster because he tried so damned hard to fit in, but all them damned people kept rejecting him.. And Dr. Frankie himself, who was torn at his soul by what he had created and was forced to use his dead bride to create a bride for the monster.. Now that is agony and anguish waiting to be turned.. What u think??

Honestly, I haven't read it, but it is on my list for this year. I think that any character with genuine "anguish" is a valid candidate.