PDA

View Full Version : There's always a Big[ger] Fish

El Chuxter
12-23-2003, 02:33 PM
I'm kinda surprised no one's started any kind of discussion about Big Fish, which comes out Thursday (Boxing Day Eve :p). This is the latest Tim Burton movie, which stars Ewan MacGregor and is about, well, I don't know what it's about, but the fact that it's a new Tim Burton movie is more than enough reason for me to go see it this weekend. :) That guy can do no wrong. (Yes, I am keeping in mind Mars Attacks!, Batman Returns, and Planet of the Apes, all of which I liked.)

Seriously, it looks like a story about a guy who thought his father lied to him for years about just about everything, because his stories were so fantastical. . . but they may turn out to be true after all. Of course, that's just from the TV spot, so I may be waaaaay off.

The soundtrack came out today and has a new Pearl Jam song, along with some great classic tracks. But I've not heard that part yet, as I'm completely hooked on Danny Elfman's score. This should be the one to finally earn him an Oscar to display in his bathroom. It's got all the best aspects of several of his scores (it's somewhat akin to Beetlejuice, Sommersby, and the instrumental parts of The Nightmare Before Christmas), but goes above and beyond anything he's done before. Of the scores I've heard on CD and during the films this year, this is easily the best.

And the cover of the soundtrack confirms that this will not be the first Burton film to not feature those trademark gnarled trees that he seems to love so much. :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-23-2003, 02:41 PM
You're right Chux, i'm also surprised nobody made a thread about this. I was taken with this flick the first time i saw the trailer. Hell, you can ask JBFF once he makes it back to the boards, i was downright moved by it.

USA today gave it nearly a perfect review and the score, from what i've heard, is fantastic. I just loved the different aspects of the trailer, from the crazy (the baby sliding down the hall) to the fantastic ("when you meet the love of your life, time seems to stop" or whatever he says; that's close enough!)

Word on the wire is that this flick has some definite oscar caliber in it and i hope it gets recognized. I know it's up for a few Golden Globes, but that would rule if Ewan got an oscar!! Can't wait for the wider release on thsi flick! cheers! :D

scruffziller
12-23-2003, 03:27 PM
It does look interesting. I had to see the trailer a second time because the first time I was like "What the heck was that!!!!!":p

Sentinel18725
12-23-2003, 03:40 PM
It does look weird...but cool! I'm in and I'll be seeing it within a week of its release.....looks kind of like a feel good movie too! Always happy to see one of them. :beard:

Turbowars
12-23-2003, 03:55 PM
Yeah, my wife is dragging me in to see it on X-mas. It look OK a guess. We will see.;)

JediTricks
12-24-2003, 04:30 AM
Ebert & Roeper said it just kinda runs out of plot and then just does its Burton thing for a while. While I'm still a wee bit leery of Burton's works since the aforementioned Mars Attacks, Batman Returns, and most especially Sleepy and Hollow (and there was nothing short of being paid that could get me to go to the theaters for Planet of the Apes), this seems more like the type of thing where the plot taking a time out could work for me. But, the marketing on this one has been pretty lackluster, so it doesn't pop out in my mind very often, which is almost certainly why I won't be seeing it in the theaters unfortunately.

stillakid
12-24-2003, 10:01 AM
Ebert & Roeper said it just kinda runs out of plot and then just does its Burton thing for a while. While I'm still a wee bit leery of Burton's works since the aforementioned Mars Attacks, Batman Returns, and most especially Sleepy and Hollow (and there was nothing short of being paid that could get me to go to the theaters for Planet of the Apes), this seems more like the type of thing where the plot taking a time out could work for me. But, the marketing on this one has been pretty lackluster, so it doesn't pop out in my mind very often, which is almost certainly why I won't be seeing it in the theaters unfortunately.

I'm with you. I haven't really loved a Burton film yet. The guy is a Production Designer, pure and simple. He got the keys to the studio and gets to drive the Directing car now. His movies look great, but the stories are always weak at best. Of course there's no incentive for him to stop directing, but he could be remembered as a GREAT Production Designer instead of being a lackluster filmmaker.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-24-2003, 06:31 PM
This movie's based on abook, so if the storie's messed up, it's not Tim's fault. :D My sister's gonna get this book for Christmas tomorrow so I wonder if it'll be any good. I think it said in Entertainment that Tim Burton said he didn't want to say much about the movie, cause apparently that's how they did it a long time ago.

stillakid
12-25-2003, 01:14 PM
This movie's based on abook, so if the storie's messed up, it's not Tim's fault. :D My sister's gonna get this book for Christmas tomorrow so I wonder if it'll be any good. I think it said in Entertainment that Tim Burton said he didn't want to say much about the movie, cause apparently that's how they did it a long time ago.

So anytime a movie is based on a book and the movie is bad it is not the filmmaker's fault? :confused:

Exhaust Port
01-08-2004, 03:45 PM
Anyone else really looking forward to this movie? I'll miss it this weekend but I'm hoping to see it the weekend after. The visuals just looks awesome in the trailers.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-08-2004, 04:13 PM
EP- check out this thread, good sir! :D

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22511&highlight=fish

Exhaust Port
01-08-2004, 04:39 PM
Yeah, my wife is dragging me in to see it on X-mas. It look OK a guess. We will see.;)
I'm a little late to this thread. So Turbowars, how was it?

Exhaust Port
01-08-2004, 04:45 PM
Oops, thanks for the redirection. :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-10-2004, 08:51 PM
I just got back from this flick and it was amazing!!! Albert Finney & Ewan McGregor mirrored each other PERFECTLY in the character of Edward Bloom. I cannot rave enough about this flick as it was just PERFECT.

Get off your a---es and go see it RIGHT now. :D

Exhaust Port
01-17-2004, 12:27 AM
I just got back from also seeing this movie. Very, very good indeed!! I would have like to see the son discover a bit more of the "truths" behind his dad's stories (like actually meeting the giant or something) but perhaps there will be more to the DVD. I'll definately be buying this one.

Banthaholic
01-18-2004, 10:14 PM
I can't wait to see this one. Then again Tim Burton is one of my favorite directors, so that adds a bit of bias. I love the work that Tim & Elfman been able to make. Danny Elfman's soundtracks always seem to move me, and I expect no different from this one.

2-1B
01-19-2004, 01:38 AM
***mild spoilers, I guess***

I finally got to see Big Fish last week and I absolutely ADORED it.

Ewan McGregor is one of the best actors working today. I just want to hug him. One of my favorite scenes is his polite scolding of the fish to give him his ring back, and damnit I loved that fish, too ! And the way he held it ! :D

Alison Lohman, breathtaking. If I was an old man I bet I'd be in lust with Jessica Lange - the way she sliiiiiiiiiiides into that tub, that was great. lol

Albert Finney, just fantastic. Ewan was going nuts about him while he did his publicity stints and I can now say he was not exaggerating.

Billy Crudup, he also did a nice job. Nice to see him again after playing Russell in Almost Famous. :D

Who else . . . Danny DeVito? Was that Danny DeVito I saw or was that Ron Jeremy? I couldn't tell the difference. lol

Matthew McGrory as Carl the Giant, nice to see him in a cool speaking role after House of 1000 Corpses (he played Tiny). Wonderful job of exaggerating his size in the stories.

Steve Buscemi, perfect addition ! I can't recall ever not liking that guy in a movie. Ever.

Yet, it all comes back to Ewan McGregor for me, he was simply perfect in this movie.

I'm not a big Tim Burton fan, I like some of his movies and dislike others.
People can dump on him all they want for being a good designer and a bad director or whatever but what makes this movie great is the performances he got from those actors in addition to the look. Not the look alone.

Bravo Mr. Burton !

Oh my, I forgot Helena Bonham Carter as Jenny/The Witch. She's Burton's girlfriend in real life, right?

Hey, along with that fish scene I mentioned earlier, wanna know my other favorite scene? lol It's when Ewan takes that absolute beating from Alison Lohman's fiance. lol
She tells Ewan not to hurt him so whilst being hammered the bully asks "aren't you going to fight back?" and Ewan with that GRIN all over his face while getting slammed says "I promised I wouldn't" and keeps on smiling.

Awesome movie! Unfortunately it won't win too many awards because many of the reviews are often lukewarm. Who cares, this movie is GREAT. :)

Exhaust Port
01-19-2004, 09:34 AM
I agree, Ewan was the brightest start among stars in that movie. He really stole it way from everyone in my eyes.

RooJay
01-19-2004, 02:23 PM
This movie honestly struck a major cord with me. I'm not ashamed to admit that I actually teared up a couple times near the end. I surely hope that some day, when I'm old and dying, that I'll go in that same way.

2-1B
01-25-2004, 12:53 AM
No one else made the Hedgehog comparison ? :D

Exhaust Port
01-25-2004, 08:49 PM
ie Ron Jeremy?

No, not until you mentioned it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-01-2004, 06:35 PM
So anytime a movie is based on a book and the movie is bad it is not the filmmaker's fault? :confused:
Sorry to reply so late. But, I was just talking about the story. A movie could be based on a book, with the exact same story, but bad acting and bad effects etc. and be a bad movie. But I was just kinda joking, I think??? :D

James Boba Fettfield
05-05-2004, 07:13 PM
Rise from the dead, Big Fish thread!

I just saw this movie on the tv, and I loved it. I understand what Roojay was talking about with feeling like tearing up. That would have been me from the point where his father wakes after the stroke to the end.

2-1B
05-05-2004, 11:31 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed it, JBF - I bought the DVD last weekend and have been enjoying it again.

Kidhuman
05-31-2004, 07:46 PM
Awesome flick, saw it today. Cant say anymore than what was said already.

2-1B
08-22-2005, 01:39 AM
I made the following post a few days ago in the Devil's Rejects thread but I figured I would put it here, too, in case any Big Fish fans hadn't heard (I doubt many people read the Rejects thread) and I didn't even hear about it right away so I think media coverage was minimal.

Wow, I missed the news of Matt McGrory's death on August 9th, I just found out about it now. That's sad, he seemed like a really nice guy. Just a week and a half before he died I got to meet him at a convention and shake his hand, I got a signed pic from Big Fish (as much as I liked Corpses and Rejects, Big Fish is awesome) so I got a pic of him wioth Ewan McGregor.

Anyway, I thought the guy deserved a mention about his passing so I put it here.

RIP Mr. McGrory

Rogue II
08-22-2005, 10:23 AM
I'm sorry to hear that.

HBO plays Big Fish amlost every other day, and I can't help but watch it for at least a few minutes.

2-1B
11-09-2005, 11:39 AM
Did anybody get that Special Edition DVD ? It's a nifty looking package but I can't bring myself to double dip. If anybody has it, I'd be curious to hear about it. :)

JimJamBonds
11-09-2005, 11:44 AM
Did anybody get that Special Edition DVD ? It's a nifty looking package but I can't bring myself to double dip. If anybody has it, I'd be curious to hear about it. :)

I'll buy the first copy you have Caesar.