PDA

View Full Version : Is R1-G4 a dream? A New Hope for Droid Collectors. (merged)

Jaff
12-23-2003, 11:04 PM
On 12/23 I saw R1-G4 for the first time, and it has been a long time that I have waited for this figure. We all have. After being passed on in the Hasbro Fan Choice poll We had to wait a year and a half before they made him. I cracked open the package greedily and grabbed the chunky droid. The droid was green, actually green. I had always thought he was black! Like most of you I inspect every angle of the figure, and rotated the figure at every angle to look at the detail.

The droid is completely solid, and some would say he is a simple statue. They would be right by saying that, but I love him just the same. Dings are all over the figures base as well as a black hose as if the droid's been dragged in the mud. The base of the figure has the repulsorlift detail as does the back of the figure. Loose wires hangs from the side of the figure. These wires are very rubbery, and fragile so be careful lest you yank them off of the Droid. In the end the detail is just fantastic, but wait there is one more surprise that you will grin at when you inspect this figure for the first time: The droid has two clamping arms that you can pull out on each side, that way you can defend it from being a statue!

Playability this fig has nothing to offer, but visually it is astounding like Ephant Mon. The figure is the same height as any other figure (not counting it's silver antenna), but it's two times as thick as any other figure. As I said before the plastic is solid, and the paint application is the most joyous surprise. Excluding the playability issue I would say this is the best fig I have obtained since Ephant! It's that cool!

jonthejedi
12-24-2003, 07:08 AM
It IS an awesome figure. I love SW droids, so I picked mine up from Cloud City Collectibles(couldn't wait for retail on this one) several weeks ago.

Turbowars
12-24-2003, 05:44 PM
Is the Antenna removable? I didn't know this myself before not to long ago, but the Antenna you speak of, is not an antenna. It's the cable that lowers R1 from the Sandcrawer. Once again, hasbro didn't do their homework. I can't wait to get this guy. I thought I would have it by now, but EE is late with the cases.

Jaff
12-25-2003, 12:37 AM
No Turbowars the Antenna/cord harness is not removable!

Boba Fetish
12-25-2003, 08:20 PM
Don't forget the big mono foot can swivel to one side to add that extra amount of stellar playability. I also like how the bottom of this foot is detailed too. Very cool statue indeed.

plo koon 200
12-31-2003, 01:26 PM
It is a great figure. I love it and the new CW animated figures that I found along with it. However I think I like the CW animated figures more for the fantastic packaging.

Jayspawn
01-05-2004, 12:00 AM
I love it, its a great figure. True -it doesnt do a darn thing. The base doesnt even swivel (did I spell that right?) Anyways, I cant wait to set mine up with the Sandcrawler and Jawas!

Wheres that Sandcrawler Hasbro?

Turbowars
01-05-2004, 12:03 AM
Does the head spin? There has been reports that it does. Please tell!!!!

Jayspawn
01-05-2004, 12:06 AM
Hey! His head does spin! :eek: Thanks Turbowars. Even better!

mark2d2
01-06-2004, 01:40 PM
Hey! His head does spin! :eek: Thanks Turbowars. Even better!

Yippee! I knew Hasbro wouldn't let me down!
I knew they wouldn't make him without proper droid articulation!
Woo Hoo! I can't wait to find this guy now . . .

bobafrett
01-06-2004, 06:08 PM
It looks like I'll have to make a toy run over the next few weeks. I really want one of these, or two perhaps. I'm happy to hear that the head swivels! Very cool!

plasticfetish
01-15-2004, 12:59 AM
Oh yeah baby! Found him today and what a great chunk of plastic!

As a kid, when I first saw Star Wars, I remember thinking how cool it was that so much of the technology simply looked like junk that had been cobbled together. (No thought at that time about the movie simply having a low budget.) R1-G4 is a perfect example of what made the early films and 70's science fiction in general so damn cool! This figure is also a great example of why I love Star Wars toys... it's super, really well done. A great thick piece of crazy plastic droid fun.

Nice solid plastic. Great detail like texture and paint. The little arms move in and out, the head can rotate (it's tight, but it will.) Man, we've gotten some great stuff lately, but this one takes the cake, and it Looks sooo good on the shelf.

Great job Hasbro!

bobafrett
01-15-2004, 01:15 AM
I found two of these at a Target store today. I bought both, and one I opened on the drive home (while stopped at traffic light). I was so excited to finally get my hands on this. The only thing is, mine doesn't seem to move much. Is the head supposed to turn at the top, or more along the base? I had a terrible time trying to get any type of turning motion from this figure. I did enjoy the little claw arms that can be pulled out. Now I'll just have to get my Jawa's out to send R1-G4 off to attempt to sell him. I'm now wishing I had picked up an extra cinema "sale of the droids" since I believe this was the only chance to get Uncle Owen.

plasticfetish
01-15-2004, 01:57 AM
Yeah, I'm wishing that I'd bought 2 of these now, I'm gonna really need to get one to keep carded. That's funny, I was really tempted to bust this one open in the car also... but I had to wait.

Is the head supposed to turn at the top, or more along the base? I had a terrible time trying to get any type of turning motion from this figure.
It pivots at the "dome," it's very hard to get going at first, but if you hold it carefully and give it a twist it'll come loose.

Man, I gave my son all of my Jawas a while ago, 'cause he was so crazy about Jawas at one point... I'm really gonna need to track a few more down now. I hope that crawler (if and when it ever comes out) comes with a few.

bobafrett
01-15-2004, 09:22 AM
Yeah, I'm wishing that I'd bought 2 of these now, I'm gonna really need to get one to keep carded. That's funny, I was really tempted to bust this one open in the car also... but I had to wait.

It pivots at the "dome," it's very hard to get going at first, but if you hold it carefully and give it a twist it'll come loose.

Man, I gave my son all of my Jawas a while ago, 'cause he was so crazy about Jawas at one point... I'm really gonna need to track a few more down now. I hope that crawler (if and when it ever comes out) comes with a few.

Hmmmm, I looked at my opened R1-G4 last night, and I see no seperation area between the dome and the body. It's solid all the way down to the area where say a humans knees would be. It twists slightly there, I wonder if I got a different version.

Wait, I just went and looked at my figure under better light. I noticed the torso goes up into the dome. I really had to grip the droid with both hands and twist, but now that I have the dome now moves although a little stiffly. Thanks PF!

Kidhuman
01-23-2004, 11:49 AM
Ok I was skeptical on this figure at first but I found him and studied him for a minute and I was wrong. It is a great looking droid. Love the wear and tear look Hasbro gave him. Dents and dings. Rubber wires and such too. Overall I give it an

A-

Hellboy
01-23-2004, 07:42 PM
I've had mine for a while now and love it. When I first saw the pictures I was concerned about Hasbro getting the scale right but they nailed it. Very cool indeed and thanks to PF for pointing out that the head swivels because I had no idea until I read your post and put a little muscle into turning it. :D I agree with kidhuman's assessment and would give this droid an: A-

mark2d2
01-25-2004, 08:45 PM
R1-G4 is a character that I have wanted in the 3 3/4 line for, well, damn near forever. Since 1978. Of course, I had no idea what to call him way back when, but after R5-D4 and friends hit the shelves I began thinking: "Gee, that that weird, big black droid would be totally cool."

And now, at long last, here he is. Hasbro certainly doesn’t disappoint. One thing that helps make R1-G4 so dang exciting is that he is the first “all-new” OT droid to come down the pipe since, I think, FX-7 --- the last highwater mark in Star Wars robot toys. And while I love all the Astro-droid repaints with spiffy R3, R4, and R5 heads. . . there is something very exciting about a brand spanking new, nothing recycled, hunk of primo plastic.

PACKAGING: 5/5. No complaints here --- but I admit I am NOT that into packaging. I like the new look of the cards and the A New Hope running up the side sure makes it easier to flip through the shelves at Toys R Us. The shots of R1-G4 are quite nice and show what a stellar job they did creating this guy. There is some unintentional humor on the insert -- the side of which reads: "#06 R1-G4 Includes: R1-G4." I know, I know. It’s because he has no accessories, but it is still kind of funny.

SCULPT: 5/5. Good lord what a masterpiece. Poor R1 looks like he has been through hell. (No wonder nobody buys him.) Full of nicks and dents and deep scratches. All of which are wonderfully molded on. He has a nicely pock-marked surface -- the likes of which has not been rolled out since 2-1B. (Another droid standout.) Yep, Hasbro really nailed this guy. Marvelously detailed. What you can’t see in photos or on card is how wonderfully asymmetrical R1 is. Viewed from any angle he is unique and interesting. The wires especially are well done in a grey plastic along with a slew of other odds and ends that all contrast nicely with the base dark green of the body. And he is so sturdy! So solid. Perhaps the little treads on the bottom of his foot best show how many extra miles Hasbro was willing to go on this one.

*** As others have noted, the top antenna while accurate for what it is --- is not exactly right either. As it was supposed to a long cable/magnet that was used to lower R1 in place from the Sandcrawler. I have to say, that on a personal level it doesn’t really bother me. Nor does the fact that it is not removable. Mainly since it was there in all of his scenes.

POSE: 5/5. R1-G4 pretty much just stands there. It'd be pretty hard to give him one of those dreaded action poses. But kudos to Hasbro for getting the angle of his stance just right. . . The bend in his ankle, I mean.

PAINT: 5/5 Top notch all the way on mine. None of the detail is at all sloppy here. And this must have been rather painstaking to pull off as much of the “lined” detailing is sculpted on the figure as little ridges -- the paint job follows these precisely. Furthermore, the head has white paint details that are perfectly outlined in yellow. The silver for the weathered damage is not at all overdone. And may I point out that I, for one, am so very glad they didn’t spray any brown splatter on the base for sand. It simply wasn’t necessary and I am rather relieved they skipped this as it appears to be the norm for Tatooine figures.

ARTICULATION: 4.5/5 What? I can hear all of you screaming already. He only has four lousy points of articulation. True. The Head, the Ankle, and each Claw. That’s it. That said, I don’t know what else could have been made moveable. Seriously. The lack of movement here is more an inherent flaw of the character than the toy. And I refuse to penalize Hasbro for that. God knows if this was 1996, he’d split a part to fire a big, yellow missile and some how I doubt very highly that anybody here wants that.

*** I did deduct have a point because I think he’d be a wee bit cooler if his ankle joint could revolve 360 degrees.

ACCESSORIES: N/A R1 doesn’t come with anything. Does this bother me? No, not really. Sure a Jawa (as rumoured) would have been cool. But holding the figure in hand, I see why it was not meant to be. This toy really is a lot of bang for the buck. That said, had you thrown in a Jawa or two and carded this an Ultra Set -- Hasbro would have really giving us something to talk about. (With very few complaints, unlike, say, Reeikan.) But as a stand alone figure, I really have no complaints either.

In conclusion, I find I must give R1-G4 my highest rating. A perfect score. 5/5. He very well may tie with FX-7 as the best droid figure to date. What R1 lacks in articulation, he more than makes up for in detailing. Clearly, this was very much somebody’s baby over at Hasbro. I can’t think of any other figure recently that’s come out bearing such obvious signs of love and devotion. Clearly, this is a fanboy figure. And could only have been created by a fanboy himself.

*** I'll probably post this same review over at Rebelscum as I frequent that site as well. So, no need to point that out.

plasticfetish
01-25-2004, 11:48 PM
Great review! I've gotta agree, it's a super figure. Easily one of my favorite toys up on the shelf. Now we can just cross our fingers for a 12" version some day. :)

bobafrett
01-26-2004, 12:38 AM
I agree with your review, but the one thing I found wrong with the one I opened, of the 2 that I purchased, was the yellow lines on the back of the droid, on one half were missed. Instead my R1-G4 has a half circle on the back (the flat area), as well as the two corner sections on the same right side. Since I face the droid out, it doesn't bother me much. I did look at the other droid (carded) that I bought, and he has the full yellow circle.

Kidhuman
01-26-2004, 04:49 AM
This is a neat looking droid. One of the best Hasbro has made in a long time. Being a carded collector is getting harder and harder these days with the quality of figures coming out.

Beast
01-26-2004, 05:02 AM
If you buy two of them, you can easily customize the Grey R1 Unit from Mos Eisley. Just a tip for you customizers out there. :)

http://www.astromech.net/gallery/astromechs/images/thumbnails/GreyR1dome.jpg
http://www.astromech.net/gallery/astromechs/images/thumbnails/GreyR1body.jpg

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Old Fossil
02-05-2004, 07:14 PM
Being a carded collector is getting harder and harder these days with the quality of figures coming out.

R1 is definitely meant to be displayed loose! Especially if you have a dozen or so Jawas and other droids for him to tower over.

Turbowars
02-06-2004, 09:02 PM
If you buy two of them, you can easily customize the Grey R1 Unit from Mos Eisley. Just a tip for you customizers out there. :)

http://www.astromech.net/gallery/astromechs/images/thumbnails/GreyR1dome.jpg
http://www.astromech.net/gallery/astromechs/images/thumbnails/GreyR1body.jpg

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar BinksI wonder if he's just all gray, or does he have the symbols like R1-G4?

Kidhuman
02-06-2004, 10:23 PM
R1 is definitely meant to be displayed loose! Especially if you have a dozen or so Jawas and other droids for him to tower over.

Well, part of the problemis I have only seen one. I do want another for an opener, but If I dont see any of the newer figures or I have extra money. The other part is I have about 5 Jawas, three on card(2 pack and Gonk) and 2 vintage, so half a deozen is closer. :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-07-2004, 12:32 PM
Sure it's great, but to me it's kinda boring. I got this along with Jedi Luke and Bar R2 so they've been getting most of my attention. I honestly thought he didn't have any articulation outside the claws, but I guess I was wrong. I'll have to check that out later.

Of course, he's only realy complete with a sandcrawler, but alas . . .

plasticfetish
02-28-2004, 01:03 AM
(OK. In honor of the fact that we might even actually get a "new" Sandcrawler someday, I've gone and done an extended review of this figure. Hopefully we'll see some more of these out there for those that might have missed it.)

As a kid... in the '70s, back when I first saw Star Wars on the big screen, I remember thinking how cool it was that so much of the technology simply looked like junk that had been cobbled together. There was no thought at the time about low movie budgets, or about how some clever prop builder was forced to rob his local junkyard to come up with ideas. Years later, when I was working as one of those junkyard raiding prop builders, working with budgets not in the millions, but... if I was lucky, in the hundreds, I would think about films like Star Wars and how they'd made that "junk" look so cool. R1-G4 is a perfect example of what made the early films and '70s science fiction in general great! This figure is also a perfect example of why I love Star Wars toys... it's super, really well done. A great thick piece of crazy plastic droid fun that's nicely captured, in a way, a little bit of the spirit of '70s Sci-fi.

It's been noted by others (mark2d2 - wink, wink) in their reviews of this figure, that this is one of the first significantly new droid models to come out in quite a while. We've had R2, R3, a few R4 and no where near enough R5 models... but what we have here is something really unique. I'll be honest, I would never have guessed that they'd make this one at all, and I'm glad that they did. Carded and hanging on the peg it stands out like a sore thumb. A big green blob of mechanics right smack in the middle of that blue and gold card. It's a heavy item and just about every one that I've seen in stores has had a bubble that's dented in some kind of way. A problem perhaps, but at this point I'm not in love with this card design and don't care much.

This toy is an "opener" anyway... and open it you must! It's made up of simple shapes, molded from a hard, dark green plastic. For what it is, the detailing is just right. Some mechanical bits here and there, mixed with a fair amount of dings and dents. On the right side, (I suppose it's the "right" side) there's some soft plastic hoses as detail. Up on the "dome," a few more grey plastic bits plus at the very top, the one slightly inaccurate detail... the magnetic clamp that's used to lower this droid down from the Sandcrawler. It would have been a nice touch if this "antenna" looking part had been removable in some way, maybe even magnetic, yet it's a forgivable flaw. Paint is simple and appropriate. Yellow, white and silver detailing highlight various areas. The dome has large stenciled writing that's spattered with grey and silver to simulate dirt and distress.

This is a really sturdy feeling figure, mostly constructed from a nice hard plastic with only a few more flexible parts as detail. In general, it's very well made. Here's a toy that will no doubt last a long time as there's not much to break or wobble apart. This is also pretty much why it's play value, though limited, is really very good. You can't help but pick this toy up, and when you do, you'll notice a few other neat little details. First, there's the two odd claw arms in front. They're made to move back and forth just a little, but can be pushed in or extended out as well. A simple idea, but a good one. The dome can twist and turn. It'll take a bit of careful force to loosen it, but again, it's the details like this that thankfully make this figure more than just a green plastic statue.

In all, I love this thing because of it's simplicity. I'm very happy with the fact that Hasbro opted to keep this droid basic and sweet, with no funky push button missile gimmicks or electronic bits doomed to eventual failure. R1-G4 easily earns a place up on the shelf next to my other favorite figures both vintage and modern. All he needs now, is this Sandcrawler that we've been hearing so much about to stand behind him, plus perhaps a few more Jawas and maybe a fresh new R5 unit to keep him company. R1-G4's a great start though... a perfect little addition to anyone's shelf top tribute to '70s science fiction, and everything that made it great.

mark2d2
02-28-2004, 01:14 AM
Nice review. This is a toy worthy of such devotion.

And I appreciate the "wink-wink."

My only criticism is that you say we don't have enough R4s.
What about R5s? That's what we REALLY need!
Especially now that the Sandcrawler IS on the horizon.
C'mon, Hasbro! I need a killer R5-D4 !

plasticfetish
02-28-2004, 02:59 AM
R5 for sure! What'd I say? Oh.... @#*&@!! I meant R5 there...

There's a lot of droids that we really need now. I was watching the sandcrawler scene from A New Hope again last night, and I'd really love all of those droids.

vulcantouch
03-11-2004, 01:09 PM
i've been waiting to open mine in case i bag a cheaper one or a paintjob i like better, but it was 73f tuesday and the pal i was cafe-slummin with convinced me to open it so we could put it on our table in the sun :)
might be interested to know that, judging from a gamecard image of r1's rear i happen to have, it turns out the detailing between his right side and his rear grill is not quite accurate, and i coulda done without the not-always convincing weathering/junkifying, it'd end up looking like this after a kid plays with it a half-hour anyway. i also loathe the trash-bag between the hose and the tanktread, it looks like a used condom (and not just cuz the rest of the figure's shape is oh never mind :evil: ) and i'll prolly end up trimming it off with a razorblade :p
i spose my fave details are that grill and the dome stencils (they look cobbled-together "negative" parts left over from used alphabet stickers :crazed: ); also the lower tips of the 3 wires can be removed and plugged into different holes (the wiring is all a single molded piece threaded from where they emerge under the neck, so you won't lose them if you do this).

mark: "much of the 'lined' detailing is sculpted on the figure as little ridges"
-i wish they hadn't done these ridges or, if anything, made them indentations, cuz it's gonna make the paint wear off them that much easier.

"had you thrown in a Jawa or two and carded this an Ultra Set"
-No Thank You, cuz 1) i don't want no jawas, just this droid and 2) paying ultraset price for a single fig ain't my idear of fun :p

"he’d be a wee bit cooler if his ankle joint could revolve 360"
-mine's does :) also his dome's "eye stalk" rotates 360, and his right clamp, in addition to the pushing in&out, swings side-to-side a bit :) too bad they're too rubbery to hold much of anything :p

turbo: "hasbro didn't do their homework"
-maybe it ain't canon but i think antenna looks cool, esp. since its tip is hollowed out like a gunbarrel :cool: besides if someone don't like it they could prolly just cut it off :)
vt

mark2d2
03-11-2004, 05:15 PM
Okay, I stand by my opinion that the detailing ridges rock.

But thanks for pointing out the ankle thing.

With your confirmation --- I boldly gripped R1 and "forced" the joint.

Viola! I, too, now have a R1 who rotates 360 degress at the ankle.

Wow! What a difference this makes. . . Seriously, the droid can lean in all
these really crazy directions. Making a very, very cool figure -- COOLER!

Thanks for the heads up! :D

JediTricks
03-11-2004, 08:02 PM
Seeing as how R1 is the newest SW figure I have (except Jabba, but he already got reviewed), he was the subject of today's SSG review...

An astromech droid who many folks didn't even know was a droid (well, to be fair, he doesn't move in the film, just stands there looking like a giant weird prop... probably because that's what he actually was), R1-G4 is one of those "insider" characters and has long been a fan-requested toy. Even after losing a recent Fans' Choice poll, Hasbro decided to put this figure out anyway, so how does R2-D2's ancestor actually stack up in plastic?

Packaging: 3.5/5
This is standard Saga v2 basic packaging, the same ol' gold border stuff you've all seen before. For non-openers, Hasbro gives the best possible view of the figure, the angle of the R1 in the bubble tray allows you to see a lot of this big lug, though the insert does of course hide the details bottom of the figure. Even though R1 is fairly big, he has no accessories so the wide bubble is a tad barren on the left.

The insert and cardback don't have the same movie photo, but I wish you could see more of the movie prop's "face" on the back (the rear photo is actually reversed so it's even the same side as the front image). The insert says "R1-G4 - Includes: R1-G4" on either side, the pitfalls of having no accessories to list; the back of the card shows the prototype from either side just standing there leaving a lot of empty space. At least no twisties or clear-bands though.

Sculpting: 4.5/5
R1's sculpt is very nice work, a solid likeness to be sure and another unique and fantastic droid figure with plenty of wear & tear. I especially like the lower skirt and underside rollers, and the separate hoses are an especially slick touch - though be careful, they can come out at the bottom and slide into the body at the top, it's a pain to fix. The head sculpt has some interesting touches like rivets every quarter, but I wish the "face" details were a little nicer - it's good, but not great. The claws and hose arms are neat, but the area that holds them is unappealing.

On the dome, there's a silver antenna which is a separate piece but pegged in very securely, in the film it's actually a winch from the sandcrawler. Although there are plenty of details on the body, you'll also find a few areas where it's just flat nothingness. Then there's the one negative part of the sculpt I can't ignore, Hasbro stuck the copyright info on a rear panel on the figure's left side and the lettering is just too darn visable.

Pose: 1/5
Well, in the film, he stands there and... he stands there some more. If you got R1-G4 for his poses, you've come to the wrong party. R1 is kinda leaning forward ever so slightly, that's about it.

Paint: 3/5
On R1, the colors are all there and most of them are even in the right place, but it's pretty sloppy; in fact, the only neat, consistant paint I can find is the gray skirt and silver rollers beneath. The yellow trim is uneven and sloppy, the silver elements share a similar fate but there's less to notice. A glaring paint issue is the use of white on the smaller body panels: they're too bright and clean, gloppy, and just the wrong note overall. I also don't care for the dome's numerous blue panels due to their random shapes, but I think they're accurate to the prop.

There are a lot of little issues that just start adding up, but what I dislike most is the use of gray paint splotches to simulate dirt, the splotches are too big and lacking in subtlety, and there's far too much which certainly detracts from the overall look of the figure. The prototype seemed to avoid this, why couldn't mine? Adding insult to injury, only the dome and leg have this splotchy gray stuff, the main body is totally without it.

Articulation: 2/5
This aged astromech is not exactly a disco king, though surprisingly he does have 4 points of articulation... sort of. First off, what would an astromech be without a turning dome? Heck, since AOTC, that's all some of 'em can do - and R1 can too, there's no limit to how far you can turn his dome, whoopee! But wait, that's not all: R1 can also pull a Robbie-the-Robot by extending his claw arms, zowee! Granted, it's only about 5 millimeters each arm, but the right one can also pivot about 15 degrees. ( " That's it??? " Hey, I bet half of you didn't even know he HAD arms. ) Finally, R1 can rotate at a slight angle where his leg meets his the rest of him; this point is so stubborn that I'm not even sure it's supposed to be articulation, but it does work.

Accessories: 0/5
Bupkis, zilcho, nothing, the big goose-egg, total absence, jack diddly squat, "zip, zero, nada!"

Did I mention that he comes with no accessories whatsoever?

Overall Grade: A-
Granted, R1-G4 has no accessories and several paint issues, but if you are a Star Wars collector, chances are this figure is for you no matter what; luckily, R1 is a very cool piece. This is one background figure that works because of "it factor", he's not like any other figure out there and is instant atmosphere, another wonderfully unique piece in the rich Star Wars puzzle - thus he's been somewhat hard to find. As a toy, most kids would probably find him a dud, but hopefully there are still kids out there that play with SW figures such as FX-7, 2-1B and the like who will enjoy R1-G4.

sith_killer_99
03-14-2004, 07:59 PM
Well, I have mixed feeling on this little (BIG) droid.

I saw it in the store today and almost started jumping up and down for joy, but decided that it wasn't setting the right example for my 2 year old daughter who was with me. :D

So anyway, I saw it in the package and was like...WOW!

I was kinda glad to see that they had a few and one was on a seriously creased card. I bought that one to open and did just that when I got home!

But after I got it open and set it down it really feels more like a background accessory than an actual droid. It just dosen't have much, presence, as it were.

Anyway, I like the figure, but I really like it better on the card.

stillakid
03-14-2004, 08:38 PM
Well, I have yet to actually see one of these anywhere and KEBco hasn't sent my pre-ordered one yet so I guess this definitely is a dream figure. :ermm:

vulcantouch
03-22-2004, 11:09 PM
(note to rest: if he sez no i guess i'll have an xtra available for $5 + tax + shipping :) )
btw i did trim the "condom" off mine w/a razor like i sed i would; and yep, i like him better now :) as for accessories, i gave him this g.i.joe thing i got years ago that looks like an atari 5200 joystick/keypad combo, its gray color about matches r1's hoses :cool:
vt

JediTricks
03-22-2004, 11:45 PM
No, I don't need him anymore. I thought I emailed you about that when I got him, but maybe it bounced back and I eventually gave up. If by some impossibility you can't find any takers, I will still take him off your hands, can't have too many R1's.

2-1B
05-09-2004, 08:47 PM
I finally got him last night and he gets an A+ from me.
Easily the best figure since FX-7.

JT, shame on you for hitting him with a lousy 1/5 on Pose. :crazed:

JediTricks
05-10-2004, 07:35 PM
Ok smart guy, what would YOU give him for pose? ;)

2-1B
05-11-2004, 03:29 AM
5/5 for sure !
That slight lean to him is so well done and it honestly gives him some charm. Seriously, the way he "stands" there with that slight tilt . . . I just wanna hug him !
And for any possible time that I might want him standing straight up, well if I rotate the head in a few different ways, I can hide the lean toward the back so it's not visible.
Regardless JT, I do know what you meant about his pose and I understand why you graded him that way. I just really do love him/her/it that much. :)

plasticfetish
05-12-2004, 01:10 AM
I just really do love him/her/it that much. :)
He/she/it is good. Speaking of good, your avatar reminds me of the delicious lamb kabob I had the other night.

JediTricks
05-13-2004, 12:25 AM
Well, I suppose that makes some sense. R1 is a toughy to judge as a figure, I mean, look at the final rating I gave him and yet if you look at the numbers in the individual categories, they're pretty weak.

2-1B
05-13-2004, 02:06 AM
No argument from me, JT. :)

I think that your overall grade was more than fair in allowing for the lower rated categories.