PDA

View Full Version : Who'd prefer vehicles in proper scale with the figures where feasible?

Devo
12-23-2003, 11:47 PM
The new Tantive IV escape pod is too small as everyone knows. I haven't acquired it myself but I imagine the figures have to be forced uncomfortably inside. Yet a proper sized escape pod could easily have been made. Sure there'd be no way that it could ever be to scale with a future Blockade Runner release but does that really matter? For Diorama purposes no ones going to have both alongside eachother in the same scene. However people will put it alongside the figures. Yet once again we are needlessly faced with a 'vehicle' that can't really fit the figures as well as we'd like.

The Coruscant speeders are other infamous examples. I don't think its the posing of the figures that prevent us from putting them in these vehicles but that the vehicles are too small. If you do manage to fit two figures in Anakin's speeder they are squashed. And with Zam's speeder, even if you get the figure in at all she has to lie down on her back looking skyward. These vehicles could easily have been made properly to scale with the figures-the only other vehicles they are seen alongside in the film is other speeders so there should have been no concerns over 'oh but then it would be out of scale with the gunship'. They could have been made to scale without too grossly exceeding a presumed 'small vehicle wave' pricetag. Or am I wrong? Even if I am who wouldn't be willing to fork out?

The other vehicle that comes to mind is the Tattooine Skiff. A great toy and quite accurate in all but scale. Pote Snitkin is supposed to be a Skiff pilot but no where near fits behind the controls. Theres also far too little room to safely swing a lightsaber without decapitating han and cutting chewbacca in half. Sure, a re-scaled skiff for the figures would be way too big compared with the admittedly necessarily undersized Sail Barge if it ever gets made but so what? What I'm proposing here is that Hasbro did alright with the original Skiff and we're glad to have it, undersized and all, but now lets have a retooling like they did with the X-wing and the recent Landspeeder. Then we'd have a Skiff relatively 'in-scale' with our hypothetical Sail Barge, and one that is out-of-scale with said Barge but in-scale with the figures for those who want to set up scenes on the skiff where the Sail Barge isn't in view.

stillakid
12-24-2003, 12:31 AM
Yeah, what he said. :)

JediTricks
12-24-2003, 05:52 AM
Some stuff, it's just not possible, but with stuff like the Coruscant speeders & the skiff should definitely be in scale with the figures.

(Stuff like the Republic Gunship & the Imp Shuttle can stay in its funny little 3/4 or 1/2 scale though, but the Falcon needs to be upgraded - though I don't really expect it to be to scale.)

JEDIpartner
12-24-2003, 09:20 AM
Some stuff, it's just not possible, but with stuff like the Coruscant speeders & the skiff should definitely be in scale with the figures.
...however - Yes, they could have made the escape pod to scale, but having it next to, say, the Falcon or the X-wing would make it look completely ridiculous.

stillakid
12-24-2003, 10:41 AM
I don't know if it was an accident or what, but in some cases, the Action Fleet scale of vehicles more or less works together with some of the 4" scale vehicles. For example, the AF Snowspeeder doesn't look all that bad when used with the large 4" scale AT AT. The Micromachines Rebel Blockade Runner works fairly well with the Action Fleet Star Destroyer (that big one with sound). The Micromachines Jawa figures actually look pretty good next to the vintage Sandcrawler (along with a lineup of droids).

Turbowars
12-24-2003, 05:28 PM
I don't know about the Pod. There's a ton of suckers here that love the stupid thing. I think it's one of the lamest things they ever produced. It goes alone with the crap *** deluxes back in the 90's.:rolleyes: But yeah I wish things were a bit more to scale. I have been saying that for years!!! These are toys for kids and they have no idea what scale means.;)

LusiferSam
12-24-2003, 06:21 PM
When and where feasible, I'm all for using the 3 3/4" scale. When it's not feasible use the a scale that looks or lets you have all the features you need.

Devo
12-26-2003, 09:52 AM
I was thinking yesterday that a new skiff should be about the same length and breadth of the B-wing toy.

And Stillakid, at the moment I actually have 2 action fleet snowspeeders with my AT-AT, one hanging out of the cable and another being crushed under its foot.

The old Falcon does indeed need a revamp, although I'm running out of room for huge vehicles. I opened the Shuttle yesterday (it can't fit through doorways with its wings open did anyone else notice that?) and set it up on the floor of my room with the falcon and all the rebel starfighters ala the Mon Calamari cruiser Hangar bay in ROTJ. My yellowing, dust-ridden Falcon looked out of place with its huge munchkin cockpit. Its like looking at the original X-wing after having had it hidden away for a long time. It looks more like a Z-95 headhunter than an X-wing. A new Falcon understandably couldn't be to scale with the figures. Just look at the gunner station sets, they're a pretty good guide.

Some people want a star destroyer toy. While i'd buy it if they made it I don't mind if they never do because it would be so ridiculously off-scale not just with the figures but other vehicles as well. Just give us Star destroyer screen scenes and playsets, A STAR DESTROYER BRIDGE PLEASE YOU B$*#%$S!!!!

The coruscant speeders were inexcuseable. Good moulds but could have and should have been bigger. How is Zam Wessell supposed to pilot the thing while lying on her back looking out the top hatch as opposed the windscreen? Absurd. Its looks so stupid I see no point in wasting a decent figure by putting it haphazardly inside this vehicle.