PDA

View Full Version : Rock...et... MAN! (Shatner Rules)

JediTricks
12-24-2003, 03:54 AM
So good it was parodied on Family Guy.
http://www.themusicrevolution.com/
Upper right hand section. Go now.
Video saved to my harddrive.
I... will... playthisagain!
SHATNER!!!

mabudonicus
01-02-2004, 08:52 AM
My PC's not fast enough to look, but if it's the one where he's drinking martinis and wearing tuxes and stuff, yelling out the lyrics like it was some kind of steroid-enhanced beat poetry, that's FUNNY
I'm under the impression that he performed that bit in lieu of speaking about Star Trek and ticked a lot of trek fans off (I remember hearing that, not sure if it was true)

JediTricks
01-02-2004, 09:36 PM
He is in a tux and is smoking, but this was during his hosting of the '78 Sci Fi awards, so I don't think it's in lieu of talking Trek since the Star Trek film was coming out soon after. It's great, it's Real Video but it's only 661k so even on dial up it's not a long download (though you might want to set your streaming requirements in your Real Player to a slow speed to compensate - I didn't bother with that, Mozilla automatically downloaded it into my HD).

vulcantouch
01-21-2004, 11:22 PM
. . .you might be interested to know that chrissy elliott performed a disturbingly precise parody of this on letterman about a dozen years ago! 9all the more disturbing since at the time i didn't know What he was riffing off of :stupid: i have both back2back on VTape for convenient, clinical psychosis compare/contrast :crazed:

stillakid
01-22-2004, 10:16 AM
I know he's an actor and all, but kudos for doing that with a straight face. :ermm: I'm sure the geekboys at the Award show could relate to the last bit "...and I think it's going to be a long long time."

mabudonicus
01-23-2004, 09:18 AM
I actually sometimes yell out "I'm a ROCKET MAN" shatner style.... it just comes outta nowhere and suddenly it's all I can do...

The straight face is what really puts the bit over, sorta like Leonard Nimoy singing "if I had a hammer"..... another subject for sudden declarations is the "all over this land" done in Nimoys big toneless style.... shoot, they were really funny dudes....
Ever read "the making of Star Trek", some novel from the 70's??? You'd remember, (I think I've mentioned it somewhere around here before) it has the lyrics to the star trek theme in it, I'll put em up if anyone would like it....
Anyways, that book makes it pretty clear that maintaining a straight face was one of the most difficult things to do for the folks working on it... certainly not the nigh-reverence some folks seem to imagine (I am actually surprised to find that Shatner's wacky exploits still sorta shock people, I always thought of him as sorta "lounge comic" first and foremost)

WHEW.. sorry...

JediTricks
01-23-2004, 08:28 PM
The lyrics to the TOS theme song were written after the show was cancelled. Roddenberry found out that he could get royalties for lyrics to the theme song even though he didn't write the music every time the show aired in syndication, so long as he could get the lyrics recorded onto the show. The lyrics are total junk though, just more of Roddenberry trying to cash in without really putting any effort forward. Thankfully, it didn't come to pass.

mabudonicus
01-24-2004, 08:46 AM
Cool, I didn't know that, JT, thanks for posting it...
Good thing George Lucas is so far above stuff like that :D or he might cheapen the SW experience like DS9 cheapened trek ;)

Oh..... sorry, forget what I just said :)

JediTricks
01-25-2004, 02:33 AM
Like Lucas doesn't get enough royalties on SW already. ;)