PDA

View Full Version : If you could have a resculpt of any figure...

B'Omarr Monkey
12-25-2003, 09:06 PM
Elsewehere, I was grumbling about all the upcoming resculpts of previously released figures such as Lando - General, and Bossk, etc. My feeling is I'd much rather have never before released characters than yet another Greedo.

Then I got around to thinking about which figures I have that I think really could use a resculpt, because Hasbro really didn't capture a likeness, or costume, whatever.

These were my choices for characters in need of an upgrade:

DR EVAZAN: The face on the figure looks like a guy who needs a shave, a comb, and a pupil painted in one eye, and nothing much like the character in the movie. I say it's good that his Cantina Bar packaging has been cancelled since it was simply the same old inaccurate sculpt.

GASGANO: Those terrible, painted on goggles, and poorly articulated arms which fell off if you looked at them.

LOBOT: The original is not really bad, but his pose almost makes him appear to belong with the original Luke, Han, Chewbacca, and Lando weight training figures.

WEEQUAY: Again, I like the original figure, but after seeing the new version of Bossk, feel that this one would benefit from an upgrade. Since there were several weequays on screen it could be a different one.

BIB FORTUNA: Again, for the same reason. The old sculpt seems a bit crude compared to what could be done now.

CHEWBACCA: I'm still waiting for a really satisfying version of Chewie with his floppy bangs. The Boushh's Bounty and Millennium Falcon Mechanic figures were close, but not quite there.

In a more general sense, I'm still waiting for an accurate Luke Skywalker likeness, ditto for the AOTC Anakin and AOTC Obi-Wan. Obi looks like a hippy with a perm. A dead on Alec Guinness Obi-Wan would be welcome as well.

CrossWizard
12-25-2003, 09:26 PM
BIB FORTUNA: Again, for the same reason. The old sculpt seems a bit crude compared to what could be done now.

I agree, the original POTF2 figure looked too fat and thick thanks to the plastic tunic they gave him and his hands were too straight. I'd love to see a new Bib figure where Hasbro uses the new fabric sculpting techniques and make him seem more sneaky.

I'd like to see a new Carbonite Han, the POTF2 one looked nothing like in the movie and the Jabba Diorama one was practically a midget. I want one that has a similar look to the Bespin Capture Han, with the new Jedi Luke blaster and that can hold a vibro axe/spear with both hands.

I'd also like to see more relaxed, non action feature, greatly articulated versions of AOTC Obi Wan, and Anakin, especially ones that can hold their sabers with both hands.

Devo
12-26-2003, 09:05 AM
Definitely Bib Fortuna. I think the vintage is better than the '97 one.

The new Lobot should be much shorter as well. He's supposed to be smaller than Lando but the one we have now could easily beat seven shades of crap out of both the muscle-bound Lando and the POTJ one.

Yak Face would also benefit from todays fabric sculpting.

A hood-up version of Orrimaarko and his dresselian colleagues in the rebel briefing room.

A new Tarkin with a bigger head and similar articulation to the imperial officer.

A new luke tatooine...oh wait no.

Some of the resculpts we're getting I didn't really think necessary. Two-one-Bee and Bossk got decent figures back in '97. I don't rate the new Bossk as so much of an improvement to justify the resculpt.

darthzirock
12-26-2003, 12:44 PM
Better get used to the resculpts, friends. Hasbro has the license until 2018, so we'll be seeing plenty of them over the next 15 years ... if the line actually continues that long. Since they insist that the core characters are their real money-makers, we'll be seeing "Luke Skywalker: Untied Left Shoelace," "Hangnail Han Solo," and "Princess Leia: Strawberry Jam Stain on Right Sleave" before too long.

As to previously released figures that could really use a good resculpting, I'll go along with all the ones mentioned so far, and throw into the mix:

* Oola: Although the head sculpt was pretty good, we need a nice, lithe body sculpt with ball-jointed shoulders and hips, articulated knees, and a real-link metal chain.

Silent Chazz
12-26-2003, 03:33 PM
I think we're due for a resculpt of Mara Jade. They could use Shanon Baksa's likeness like they did for the Rebirth NJO Novel Color. It would also be cool to include her lightsaber that has the violet-pinkish blade like that on the original Mara Jade card from Decipher's SW:CCG. Heck, we could also use an Arica figure as well (Mara disguised as a dancer in Jabba's Palace).

Beast
12-26-2003, 03:37 PM
Quite a few figures need a new re-sculpt. Especially a lot of the 1995-1998 figures. After that, most of them were pretty good. But there's some real stand-outs that could use a redo in the new lines. I'll drop a full list thru here a little later. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

kool-aid killer
12-26-2003, 03:53 PM
Id like to see another Gamorrean Guard, just because they rock. Other than that i dont want to see any more resculpts.

I am Jabba the Hutt
12-26-2003, 03:54 PM
Look forward to it. :)

Count Dooku!

I wonder if we'll a new super articulated Count Dooku, in the same style of the Clone Wars Clonetrooper. Would be very cool to have an ultimate Dooku that could be posed anyway possible. Maybe with a soft goods cloak, wqould that work do you think?
I do love the ones we've got already though. The face sculpt on the first figure was truly spot on though.

CrossWizard
12-26-2003, 04:25 PM
Id like to see another Gamorrean Guard, just because they rock.

Same here, espececially now that we got a new Jedi Luke, we could use a new Gamorrean that can hold the lance weapon with both hands. Maybe even ball jointed shoulders so you can pose his arms flailing in the air while the Rancor grabs him.

Turbowars
12-26-2003, 06:35 PM
How about a 3P0 with knee articulation
SA Han and Luke Stormy
SA Stromy
Leia Boushh
Slave Leia
SA Boba
DS trooper
SA Scout
These are just a few, but the whole POTF2 line could use a whole remake. Not that I want it, but I think it's going to happen sooner or later.

Boba Fetish
12-26-2003, 08:02 PM
Death Star Gunner
R5-D4
Momaw Nadon
Saelt Marae
Gammorean Guard
Dr. Evezan
Scanning Crew Technician
Grand Moff Tarkin
Degobah Luke
Hoth Pilot Luke
Tatooine Luke
Cremonial Luke
Ceremonial Leia
Bespin Gown Leia
4-LOM

Boba Fetish
12-26-2003, 08:08 PM
Oh Yeah, others I remembered,

Maximillian Veers
Princess Leia Organa
Stormtrooper Luke and Han
Admiral Akbar

B'Omarr Monkey
12-26-2003, 10:59 PM
I just remembered that Biggs could use a resculpt with a removable helmet.

What is it that everyone doesn't like about the original Tarkin? I find the likeness to Peter Cushing pretty incredible. (Granted, I don't have mine sitting right in front of me, so this could just be fond reminiscence, but I do recall when I first saw thinking it was fantastic).

I also agree about Oola's leash. It's way too short.

darthzirock
12-27-2003, 12:45 AM
Hasbro blew the perfect opportunity to make a truly wicked, super-articulated Count Dooku by not continuing the Clone Wars line beyond wave 3. :dis:

New Gammorean Guards would be really sweet, especially if they used ball-jointed shoulders. The face on Grand Moff Tarkin was very good, true, but the body sculpt could be so much better now. Yes, of course, R5-D4 and Dr. Evazan practically demand resculpts!

If Mara Jade gets a resculpt, I think Grand Admiral Thrawn would deserve one, too, with a far more accurate ysalamir this time.

And aren't we about due for an OT Yoda resculpt that is better proportioned?

jedihunter25
12-27-2003, 12:51 AM
I'm not in to re-sculpts at all- but Hasbro screwed alot of figures up with their action poser phase. Here is my list-

EETH KOTH- in neutral pose or sitting in a chair for the Jedi Council scene
SHAAK TI- same as above
KIT FISTO- with Jedi robe
LUMINARA UNDULI- neutral pose
BARRISS OFFEE- neutral pose
SENATOR JAR-JAR- neutral pose

SCANNING CREW MEMBER- not many people got him because of the stupid carrying case you had to buy ($20) to get him
AOTC ANAKIN- with neutral pose and robe( like they did with EP1 Qui-Gon & Obi) and changeable arms (NO MAGNETS!!!!!)

Silent Chazz
12-27-2003, 01:10 AM
Am I the only person who actually liked the magnet hands with metal saber hilts?

Darth_Billy_Jack
12-27-2003, 01:39 AM
we need a new dr evazan and bib fortuna. and just about every figure from the AOTC line,especially the jedi, since hasbro felt the need to dump some truly horrible action posed turds on us.

Silent Chazz
12-27-2003, 10:55 AM
I just thought of something. It would be awesome if Hasbro updated the Endor Speeder Bike with the Saga Clonetrooper Speeder Bike Handlebars and included a SA Scout Trooper with it.

AmanaMatt
12-27-2003, 12:11 PM
For Imperials: General Veers
For droids: 4-Lom
For aliens: Yakface
For the core figs: S.A. Luke and Han in Stormtrooper gear

* We need the Super articulated treatment for all helmeted imperials: Stormtroopers, Hoth troopers, Biker Scouts, Gunners, Pilots (new one looks great), Sandtroopers - all of them.

coy5
12-30-2003, 12:31 PM
For Imperials: General Veers
For droids: 4-Lom
For aliens: Yakface
For the core figs: S.A. Luke and Han in Stormtrooper gear

* We need the Super articulated treatment for all helmeted imperials: Stormtroopers, Hoth troopers, Biker Scouts, Gunners, Pilots (new one looks great), Sandtroopers - all of them.

As you can see from my avatar, a new General Veers would be welcome here. And with the new At-St han coming, it looks like hasbro is heading in the right direction. He should have removable helmet, armor/belt buckle, and officer cap. Throw in a mini holo vader, and Woo-ha!

S.A. helmeted imperials would be great. I too am in favor of a rebel in super articulated biker scout disquise with removable helmet.

By the way, action figures that are coming out these days are the reason for me taking interest in collecting in the first place. As long as they keep coming out, I will be one broke individual.

darthzirock
12-31-2003, 01:43 PM
Am I the only person who actually liked the magnet hands with metal saber hilts?

Oh, so you're the one???

My main objection to the metal-handled sabers is that the detail was sacrificed, by necessity. Also, it led to almost every Aayla Secura and Barriss Offee figure possessing a lightsaber with a bent blade. The bend is right at the point where the little tab fits into the handle, and trying to correct it has resulted in the tab breaking off the two times I tried it. Plus, I wasn't thrilled with the huge metal disks in the palms of figures such as Darth Tyranus, Aayla, Barriss, and Anakin Skywalker: Tatooine Attack. It was a cool idea that, ultimately, just didn't pan out very well, in my opinion.

Skywalker3319
12-31-2003, 04:19 PM
well, personally....Im not to big into the game of starwars collecting anymore..I just get the ones that I really want.....its sad, and Im sad, but thats how it goes :( . Anyways, not goin to be a *****, I would really love to see a redo, and a damn good one of the Throne Room Jedi Luke. We waited so long for one,and when we finally got it, it wasnt all that great. Personally I liked it, but it could have been a hell of a lot better. :mad:

Turbowars
12-31-2003, 05:41 PM
well, personally....Im not to big into the game of starwars collecting anymore..I just get the ones that I really want.....its sad, and Im sad, but thats how it goes :( . Anyways, not goin to be a *****, I would really love to see a redo, and a damn good one of the Throne Room Jedi Luke. We waited so long for one,and when we finally got it, it wasnt all that great. Personally I liked it, but it could have been a hell of a lot better. :mad:OK now you can shut the hell up about the Jedi Luke. J/K, how many threads have youn posted about this? Don't answer.

Silent Chazz
12-31-2003, 08:24 PM
Oh, so you're the one???

I hope you're being silly cuz today's not been a good day for me in my personal life.

I just thought this new feature was pretty cool as it was a nicer way for figures to hold Lightsabers (as past ones like Flashback Obi from POTFII had large hands that made the saber not stay in place very well). Sure there are SOME magnetic handed figures that aren't done well (like Obi-Wan Coruscant Chase), but there are some that were done well.

Battle Droid
12-31-2003, 08:55 PM
Battle Droid : Pilot
Battle Droid : Commander 'Captain' with Mini Nute & Rune Holograms.
Super Battle Droid : Correct firing arm.
Destroyer Droid : transformable.

Silent Chazz
12-31-2003, 09:04 PM
Oh I so agree with the Battle Droid Pilot. The one we got with the Mini-Tank in the Invasion Force set was nice, but I wish he would have had as good of articulation as the regular Ep 1 Battle Droids. Heck, Any Battle Droid resculpt is welcome for me since they messed up the AOTC Arena Battle BDs.

jjreason
12-31-2003, 09:25 PM
Any "human" looking character produced before "Flashback" that hasn't yet been remade. I'd like to see Yarna, the Twin Pod Cloud Car Pilot (and Car)and an Endor Rebel Commando in Biker Scout disguise first though. Then fly at her.

I'd personally like to see:

- Saga Luke Dagobah, with "Polly Pocket" style soft rubber removable jacket
- Saga Luke in Dirty X-Wing Pilot suit, removable helmet, and camping supplies
- Lobot
- generic imp officer in gray

Likely more, but that's what I can generate right now. We're getting lots from the OT this year, which is super.

darthzirock
01-02-2004, 01:24 AM
I hope you're being silly cuz today's not been a good day for me in my personal life.

I just thought this new feature was pretty cool as it was a nicer way for figures to hold Lightsabers (as past ones like Flashback Obi from POTFII had large hands that made the saber not stay in place very well). Sure there are SOME magnetic handed figures that aren't done well (like Obi-Wan Coruscant Chase), but there are some that were done well.

Gee, Chazz, sorry you had a crappy day on New Year's Eve, but I was only being partially silly, as you really are the only person I've ever seen that seems to like the magno-hand figures.

If Hasbro screws up sculpting hands, as you claim the POTF2 Flashback Obi-Wan's are, I really don't see how making lightsaber handles with almost zero details because they're being machined out of metal is any kind of an improvement. I don't recall that Obi-Wan's hands being particularly oversized, and mine held his lightsaber just fine. In fact, all of my figures hold their lightsabers well, it's blasters and other accessories that I find they sometimes can't hold onto worth a darn.

But, it's not a big deal, really. You liked the ugly, unsightly metal disks inserted into the plastic palms of various figures and left as unpainted eyesores, and I didn't. It's not like my opinion is any more valid than yours, even if I have been collecting action figures for longer than you've been alive! :crazed:

Silent Chazz
01-02-2004, 11:30 AM
Well, crud then. I guess I got a bumm figure then cuz the Obi-Wan cant hold his saber worth crap. Oh well.

amidalak
01-02-2004, 03:46 PM
i'll throw in that i too liked the metal lightsabers and magnets in the hands. unless you turn the hands out and look specifically into them, most of the magnets aren't all that noticeable. but as for resculpts, how can this modern line have lasted this long without a decent throne room luke? the one we got on the card, in my opinion, is the worst figure in the entire line, probably the worst figure i have ever seen. pivotal character, crowning moment, how can we not have a good version of this fig? others that need redone:

hoth han (no stupid action feature and neutrally posed)
dagobah luke (neutral pose)
ot yoda (better articulation)
snowspeeder luke (definately knee articulation)
cloud city luke (not bruised and bloodied, neutral pose, articulation)
gm tarkin (articulated knees)
eeth koth (knees and cloth robe, duh hasbro!)
cloud city lando (neutral pose)

those are just a few off the top of my head, but to me, most of the potf2 and aotc saga lines main characters need redone with better articulation, nuetral poses, and no action features, and in the case of potf2, less muscles.

B'Omarr Monkey
01-02-2004, 04:29 PM
You think the Throne Room Luke on card is the worst figure, you should take him off the card. He's like a puppet with his strings cut.

I was realizing that we'll get a third Vader with removable helmet once the original trilogy is released on DVD and Lucas replaces all of the original footage with new footage of Hayden Christensen as Anakin in the Vader costume.

I'd take a new Tatooine Luke if he came with a moisture vaporator.

I'm not sure why everyone seems to like the cloth cloaks. At the scale they're made for they don't hang right, and seem really bulky. I actually liked the removable vinyl cloaks from the Ep. 1 line. The only thing I liked about the cloth cloaks was that as a kid I could take them off my vintage Jawas and double my jawa population because the empty cloaks stood on their own. It was also good for recreating the scene where C-3Po is carrying the dead jawas to the pyre.

amidalak
01-05-2004, 02:33 PM
I'm not sure why everyone seems to like the cloth cloaks. At the scale they're made for they don't hang right, and seem really bulky.
it really depends on how they are done. i've seen some great customs that used cloth cloaks that look great. besides the knob sticking out of his back, i liked the way the cloth cloak was executed on the total control mace windu. the cloak sat on his shoulders and hung well but didn't hinder his articulation. it also reminded me of the cloaks from the vintage line. i think that would be the best way to do cloaks from now on, leave the arms plastic and just have the cloth cloak go over the shoulders and snug up under the arms.

as to exactly why i like the cloth cloaks, easy, they improve play! jedi with cloth cloaks can sit in on a council meeting, jump in a jedi starfighter, and fight without having to first take off their plastic cloaks. articulation and playability, man, that's the way to go for me, if i wanted statues, i'd invest my money in real art.