PDA

View Full Version : Saga basic figures $6.99!

sith_killer_99
12-26-2003, 05:07 PM
I stopped by KB Toys the other day and happened to find a new Brown Coat Han Hoth!

Unfortunatly I also noticed that KB is now charging $6.99 for their new basic Saga figures!

What?

I said KB Toys is now charging $6.99 for their new Saga basic figures!

So now on top of slapping us in the face by charging $14.99 for those...$9.99-$10.00 everywhere else Army builder/Deluxe Clone Wars sets, we now have to pay $6.99 for any of the Saga "Gold" figures vs $2.99 for the beat up peg warmers!

What?

I said, KB Toys is evil incarnate! Are they trying to kill their Star Wars sales? I mean, they seem to get just about everything late. Most of their product collects dust, and now they want more money for stuff they are having trouble moving in the first place?!?!?

What?

I hope KB chokes on their Star Wars lines! Target is coming under fire by some collectors for charging $6.99 for "Exclusive" Clone Wars Cartoon figures. Have the people in charge at KB gone insane?

Meanwhile, one of my local Wal-Marts (E'Town) has lowered the price on basic Saga figures to $4.54, so now figures are less than $5.00 after tax!

What?

I said it looks like Wal-Mart wants my business back, I guess they are tired of Target kicking their butt in Star Wars sales. I know I've spent more money at Target, Meijers, TRU and even K-Mart over the last 6-8 months than at Wal-Mart. Though Wal-Mart may have edged out K-Mart recently...I found the Ultra figurers at Wal-Mart and bought 4 sets (early December).

What?

Oh yeah, whatever happened to Wal-Mart's "We will only carry basic figures". Ultra comes along and POW suddenly they are back in the game?!?!

What?

I said Wal-Mart missed the bus when it came to the Clone Wars "Deluxe" sets.

So what does everyone think? Is KB Toys insane? Will Wal-Mart take back control of the Star Wars market?

What?

I said "These questions and many more in the next episode of..."

CrossWizard
12-26-2003, 05:56 PM
Welcome to my nightmare.

Turbowars
12-26-2003, 06:20 PM
KB has always sucked hard. I haven't bought anything from them but their Tie fighter and Gam guard. I don't even go into their store anymore. There's away crap all over the floor. I think if I do go back I will fall and sue!:evil:

B'Omarr Monkey
12-26-2003, 10:49 PM
My experience with KB is that they've always priced their Star Wars figures a dollar or two higher than everywhere else. I'd only buy from them if I couldn't find what I was looking for anywhere else. They only drop the prices on stuff that doesn't move.

In any case, the KB near me hasn't had any new figures since the initial AOTC waves and those have been filling the pegs of about 1/4 of their side of the action figure aisle since the movie came out.

They did finally get the TIE fighter and it is either 25% or 30% off, so I'm going to go pick one up tomorrow. Apparently they haven't moved many of these either, possibly because they're stocked behind a bunch of toys which have been gathering dust for nearly two years now.

AmanaMatt
12-27-2003, 10:03 AM
R.I.P Kaybee. What a joke. $6.99 - righhhtttttttttttttt!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-27-2003, 05:43 PM
I saw this a few days ago at the Kay-Bee I don't normally visit. I said what the hell, cause they had Hoth Trooper, Hoth Luke, Achk Med-Beq, and Kren Blista-Vanee. Since I always get some cash for Christmas, I really didn't care.

Kidhuman
12-28-2003, 10:53 AM
The only thng I ever got at KB in the last year was a four pack that they let me make myself. I have gotten most of my figures from Wal-Mart over the years.

kool-aid killer
12-28-2003, 01:02 PM
Yes, KB does suck. I only visit one because the girls are cute. Other than that its the same old figures every where i look. I wonder if my local ones are going out of business because they looked strikingly empty, no toys piled to the ceiling, and video games were 20% off. Oh well, they charge too much and i rarely find anything i seek when i go inside.

Turbowars
12-28-2003, 01:20 PM
Inventory is coming up and stores don't like to get new stuff in. I wonder if this is going to be problem?

bobafrett
12-28-2003, 01:53 PM
KB toy stores always look empty right after Christmas. I mean, did you see some of the lines before Christmas? I was just at one today, and your right, some of the figures were $6.99, then some of them were marked down to $2.99. I only went because I saw the 3PO with escape pod before Christmas. None there today,, and they had the Gom. Gaurd with a red dot, which meant you saved 25%, I still paid less buying it from KB online, including shipping.

sith_killer_99
12-28-2003, 03:10 PM
Posted at another site (POTF2.com)
KB is in deep ****. Bankruptcy is on the way. Dig:

KB Toys experiencing financial troubles
Updated: 12/23/2003 10:59:16 AM
There's more trouble in toyland. First it was FAO Schwartz, now
Pittsfield-based KB Toys may be dealing with some
financial difficulties of its own.
The company said it will hold off on its December payments to toy and
video game suppliers.
The company is assessing its cash position and prospects for the coming
year, but CEO Michael Glazer said bankruptcy speculation is
"premature."

Here's a tip, KB: lower prices.

Thanks to Lemmiwinks for the post.

Kidhuman
12-28-2003, 03:30 PM
No skin off my back if they follow FAO into bankruptcy. They were like FAO JR anyway with their prices.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-28-2003, 09:41 PM
Here's KB's Modus Operandi

Charge $1 to $2 more then their competitors on a $5 action figure so that they scare any sensible person away from buying them.

After many months, the managers realize that the pegs are clogged with figures and that no one has bought any.

They then slash figures to $2 to $3 to move the stock.
A) They are losing money now on every figure they sell.
B) By that time, everyone has already gotten the figures they have pegwarming, and even at the price, very few buy them.

BTW, how is this for weird pricing. KB yesterday had the new Hoth Trooper Wave priced at $6.99, the initial Yoda, ARC Trooper, Anakin Clone Wars Wave at $5.99, Episode II figures at $2.99 and Deluxe Episode II figures at $3.99 and new Deluxe figures at $12.99.

Silent Chazz
12-28-2003, 09:53 PM
Nonsense. Seven years ago when I first got into collecting SW figures (after the Updated THX Sound rerelease of the Trilogy and before Special Edition), I went to KayBee Toys (when I lived in the Tulsa, OK area) and SW Figures were $7.99!! Years later after Flashback figures and Freeze Frame figures had been around for a while I went back and those kind of figures were all $2.99 to $3.99 each.

TheDarthVader
12-29-2003, 05:46 PM
KB sucks. Notice that their Lord of the Rings ROTK figures are $9.99 compared to $6.99 everywhere else. I have gotten most of my SW figures at Target. Target has been very nice to me this past year. I have also found some at Wal Mart. TRU is almost like KB because some of their prices are high!!!! Oh well. Easy come into the business, easy departure from the business.

thespar
12-29-2003, 07:23 PM
KB has always been high priced around here i have gotten a few things form them when item where on clearnce. Speaking of which me area traget was running a clearnce for figures 3.54 a piece. ANy know if toy r us do price compersoins.

Kidhuman
12-29-2003, 09:47 PM
I think they do but not on clearance items. Wal-Mart also does price comparisions

skeeziks22
12-30-2003, 11:58 AM
My KB (in Anchorage) has set out new waves of figures now priced at $7.99... the new re-issued gold card figures (@7.99) sit beside their original carded versions (@6.99)... what a joke. I bought them and took them two days later after findign better conditioned ones at TRU. Also, the clone wars deluxe packs are $17.99 (originally $14.99) now. BUT the Ultra Figures (ie new deluxe) are only $12.99... only $1 more than TRU.

The TIE Fighter and 12 inch Gammorean Guard do have the "red sticker" now which marks them at %25 off original price...

And for Wal-Mart... what's the deal? Where are toys... the two in town have ever decreasing figure pegs... down to 8 on the lay-out, but during the Christmas season they decreased to a total of four between the two stores... to make more room for BeyBlade etc... still a ton of sabers though.