PDA

View Full Version : The Wizard Fan Awards--2003

Eternal Padawan
12-26-2003, 05:21 PM
So who and what are yourchoices for the year? There are 19 categories. Here are my picks for SOME of them. You can agree or you can pick a fight! Either way i look forward to YOUR choices. ( But you gotta say why...)

Fave Writer
Bendis,Geoff Johns, Loeb, JMS, Waid. Johns does the cliffhanger better than anyone, and Loeb nails Batman's inner psyche, but pound for pound, bendis makes me laugh harder and my jaw drop more than any other writer out there.

Fave Penciller
Finch, Hitch, Andy Kubert, Lee, Perez. Why is this even a choice? When Jim Lee draws, the others might as well be monkey scratching in the dirt...

Fave Breakout Talent
Trevor Hairsine, Scott Kolins, Alex Maleev, Mike McKone, Josh Middleton. I like Maleev, and McKone is very dynamic, but Middleton's artwork seems to be moving when I look at it. NYX rules.

Fave Inker
Hanna, Miki, Palmiotti, Thibert, Williams. If you ink Lee, you win by default. ;)

Fave Painter
Greg Horn, Dave Johnson, David Mack, Gabriele Del'Otto, Alex Ross. Not familiar with Del'Otto or Johnson, and Mack's stuff is interesting, but not WHOA! I'll forgo the obvious choice of Alex Ross because Horn's Emma Frost covers made me buy the damn series!

Fave Colorist, Letterer, and Editor I have no opinions on. Time was you could get a feel for a cool editor by his responses on the letters page, but since evil comic corporations have done away with those...

Fave Hero
Batman, Captain America, Daredevil, Hellboy, Ultimate Spidey. Between JLA, Batman, and SuperBat, the writers( Loeb in particular)have got Batman's cold ruthless demeanor down..er...cold. The Bat kicked major tush this year. Bendis' and Maleev's DD was a close second though.

Fave Heroine
Arwyn, Emma Frost, Jessica Jones, Mystique, Wonder Woman. Hey, I like the costume...

Fave Villain
Deathstroke, Dr. Doom, Hush, Red Skull, Xorn/Magneto. This was a tough choice. So Hush turned out to be a whiny little trust fund wussy. he's not really a factor. But... Doom kidnapping Val. Magneto's insidious infiltration into Xavier's school and the corruption of his students. The Red Skull just being an all around Nazi prick and killing thousands of South Dakotans. Tough choices. But you gotta give props to a guy that KNEECAPS A LITTLE BOY WITH A SHOTGUN, just to send a message. Slade Wilson, you are the man. A possible write in nom to Cobra Commander for shooting his own son, What a jerk on toast!

Fave Supporting Character
Catwoman, Ezekiel, (Ultimate)Mary Jane Watson, (Ultimate) Nick Fury, Snake-Eyes. Mary Jane Watson was a strong contender thanks to Bendis' strong writing, but whoa. Ninja! hello? Was there any other choice? Snake-Eyes wins any contest he's in being the coolest character EVER.

Fave Ongoing Series
Batman, Fantastic Four, New X-Men, Teen Titans, Ultimate Spidey. Teen Titans was a strong runner up thanks to Johns crafty cliffhangers, but Hush had me counting the days between issues. And Batman RULES.

Fave Mini Series
1602, JLA/Avengers, Superman:Red Son, Transformers/GIJoe, Ultimate Six. The epic scope and the very history of this landmark series (how many years in the making??) give it a head and shoulders over the other piddling wannabes in this category.

I didn't read any of the one shots nominated, so it would be unfair of me to arbitrarily pick one based on it's title (sort of like they do with the short film nominees during the Oscars)

Fave Publisher
CrossGen (The Valiant of the 21st century?), Dark Horse, DC, Marvel, Top Cow. Nuff said. ;)

Fave Comic Merchandise
Mattel's Batman, Heroclix:Xplosion, Big green foam Hulk hands!, DCDirect's Kindom Come figgies, Marvel Legends. Apologies to those which make all things better (Hulk hands you know who you are...) but Marvel Legends rock. Batman? Not enough articulation. Kingdom Come? Egads! Price tag!! Give me Hyper articulation a AND a vintage funny book anyday.

Fave TV/Movie project
Daredevil, Justice League, Smallville, MTV's Spider-Man, X2. There are so many reasons why X2 beats the pants off everything else in this category. And where's the LXG nom? (snicker)

Comics Greatest Moment--2003

Fantastic Four 500. Doom scars Reed Richards. Maybe if it had any sort of permanency...
Ultimate Spider-Man 43. Spider-man picturing Jean Grey naked. Certainly one of the funniest moments of 2003, but GREAT? Nahhh...
JLA/Avengers 1. Thor hitting Superman with Mjolnir. A cool moment, but nowhere in the class of the last two...
New X-Men 146. Xorn revealed to be Magneto. We're getting closer, this was definitely a "holy smokes"! moment. But this one came out of left field where as #1 was built up to like an operatic crescendo.
Batman 617. Jason Todd returns. That it was revealed the following issue that it was only Clayface masquerading as Jason does not detract from the awesome powerful impact it had on readers. That one will be tough to beat for some years to come.

So there you have it. My picks for better for worse.

jjreason
12-27-2003, 10:40 AM
My favourite writer this year is Grant Morrison, based on the new X run. He's brought me back to where I started - reading X-Men first. Amazing. Warren Ellis is the runner up for me.

My favourite pencils this year were also Jim Lee's on Batman. Incomparable.

Favorite Hero: The Hulk, for his performance in issue 54. Okay, it likely would have been the hulk anyway. Reed Richards has had a very heroic year as well.

Favorite Villain: Dr. Doom, who killed the love of his life just so he could take his archenemy's daughter to hell. What comes after "evil"?

Alex Ross is a superhero all on his own. Any award he's nominated for he wins in my book.

Breakout talent for me is Maleev. Stunning work, and so unique in the medium.

Favorite series: New X, Amazing Spidey, Hulk, FF.

Favorite company: Marvel. Does this mean other companies make comics?????

Favorite limited series: Thanos the End was pretty good. Sinister Six is going along well. The rest have kind of stunk. 1602 ain't over yet, but I like it. JLA Avengers I haven't read, though I'm sure it's fine. I'll wait and sea, and reserve the right to amend my vote.

Favorite one-shot: I don't think I've read any. Can't recall.

Eternal Padawan
12-28-2003, 03:38 PM
Y'know instead of that naked Jean Gray thing for greatest moments. What about Dell Rusk blowing out the Falcon's chest, and popping a couple rounds into Gyrich's knees before ripping off his own face? Whoohah! See what I mean about Johns doing excellent cliffhangers? To me, Avengers 67, was right below Jason Todd and Magneto/Xorn as the coolest 2K3 moment.

jjreason
12-29-2003, 04:21 PM
I forgot to vote in that category, so Im going to shock everyone and vote for:

*Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. .........*

"The doctor is OUT." from Hulk 54 as my 2003 moment of the year. Well done, Bruce Jones and Mike Deodato. Well done.