PDA

View Full Version : Buying Less Beef?

InsaneJediGirl
12-26-2003, 10:20 PM
With the 'Mad Cow' scare going on in Washington State,have any of you stopped buying/plan to stop buying beef and diary products?

I haven't.Had beef yesterday,today,I'll probably have it tomorrow.I have no fear of getting 'Mad Cow'.Some of my friends think I am nuts,but only the spinal and brain matter carry the disease so I have no worries buying those muscle cuts:DConsidering this was also a diary cow,and diary cows normally are not killed for human consumption it also adds a nice little layer of doubt I'll get such a disease in my mind :)

bobafrett
12-27-2003, 12:26 AM
Since I eat more chicken than beef, I'm not going to stress out about it. That is unless they have Mad Chicken Disease. I need to diet anyway, maybe I'll just eat a bowl of lettuce instead!

scruffziller
12-27-2003, 10:37 AM
Absolutely not!!!! :rolleyes: It is so idiotic how people are freaking out over this. Mad Cow disease is not even that contageous for humans if they eat the meat because it is mainly localized to the brain and spinal cord.

Even with the epidemic that they have had in Europe, out of 100s of thousands of people eating the beef, only like 128 got sick. This dumb panic better not hurt my dad's beef business.:mad:

Since I eat more chicken than beef, I'm not going to stress out about it. That is unless they have Mad Chicken Disease. I need to diet anyway, maybe I'll just eat a bowl of lettuce instead!
No need to worry BF, eat lots of whatever meat. It is the carbs you need to cut out. In fact beef prices have gone up because of the Atkins diet craze.

AmanaMatt
12-27-2003, 01:17 PM
The only good I could see with this is if Mcdonalds goes under.....man, I hate that company. Ronald McDonald must not live.....

On a personal side, I will be cautious, yes - realistic or not.

Turbowars
12-27-2003, 03:16 PM
It does make me sick that the farmers or who ever just cut up an infected cow and sent it out to market. The whole beef industry is disturbing. I'm not only talking about the mad cow deal, but the daily routine of killing the cows. I have seen it and it is not humane IMHO. I do eat beef, but I don't have to like how it's done right? :(

LTBasker
12-27-2003, 09:03 PM
Nope, in fact I had steak earlier today. Considering I live not too far away from Texas (and Texas & beef....), I think the beef here is gonna be ok. :D

stillakid
12-27-2003, 09:58 PM
Went to Ralph's today to get some Roast Beef (for a French Dip sandwich at home) and couldn't find any. Well, any reasonably priced anyway. It was like 5 bucks for 8 oz. Ridiculous. You'd think that cows were an endangered species or something. Hate to see the prices for a good Filet Mignon. :eek:

Turbowars
12-27-2003, 10:04 PM
Tell me about it. I was eyeing some rib eyes at Smart and final, the for 3 stakes they wanted 30 bucks. it was like $8 a pound!!!:dead:

dr_evazan22
12-28-2003, 01:02 AM
The only mad cow I'm worried about is the one I might pick up at the bar after I've had too much to drink.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-28-2003, 01:17 AM
The only mad cow I'm worried about is the one I might pick up at the bar after I've had too much to drink.

That was a good one.

I am not in worry mode yet. Not until I hear about human infections will I start to worry. Tonight, I even had a double cheeseburger at McD's (yes, I like to eat extravagantly :p ) If we do get an Oprah-like panic though, I will be probably give up beef entirely. I can live without. Chicken, on the other hand, never.

The cow, by the way, that was infected came from Canada. Is it me or are those good-for-nothing Canadians always starting trouble down here? lol

LusiferSam
12-28-2003, 01:33 AM
Absolutely not!!!! :rolleyes: It is so idiotic how people are freaking out over this. Mad Cow disease is not even that contageous for humans if they eat the meat because it is mainly localized to the brain and spinal cord.

Even with the epidemic that they have had in Europe, out of 100s of thousands of people eating the beef, only like 128 got sick. This dumb panic better not hurt my dad's beef business.:mad:

No need to worry BF, eat lots of whatever meat. It is the carbs you need to cut out. In fact beef prices have gone up because of the Atkins diet craze.

I'm in complete agreement with you here scruffziller. Both my parents families are in the beef business, but I think it will be hurt (for a few months any way). As for buying beef, I can't tell you the last time I bought beef. I rarely eat out and when I do its beef only about half the time. And when my parents get a whole cow each year (a long with game and other animals), someone needs to help by eating it.

plasticfetish
12-28-2003, 03:06 AM
We don't eat meat in my house.

Well, I do... but the wife gave it up over a year ago. Mostly for health reasons, but also because she works in the food industry (a grocery store/deli... an organic one at that) now and she's completely lost her stomach for it. I eat beef when it's fed to me. I eat beef (or whatever it is) when I wander over to McDonalds. Am I worried and concerned about the "Mad Cow" scare? Oh yeah! Very worried.

It's been a threat to our cattle industry in the US for a while. They've seen it coming, have prepared for it and are scared about it as well. When Mad Cow broke out in the UK, ranchers in this country went on the news and blamed their lax standards as the reason for the epidemic. Yep, sure... feed a cow another cow's infected remains and your bound to have problems. Now we have it here and it's going to be interesting to see how we handle it. Do we start taking this issue of higher standards when it comes to food production seriously? Or do we shrug it off and wait 'til this "Mad Cow" (in humans - Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease) or some other variant of it has spread to the general population?

Will it effect my decision to eat beef in the future? At this point, we all need to be on the defensive and question just how our food is grown and prepared. If it's not one thing, it's bound to be another... I'll be watching to see how this situation evolves before I react. In this case, a little paranoia can be a good thing for all of us. Better, stricter standards means healthier food.

I personally love the taste of meat, and would hate to have to go all soy, but if need be, that's the way it goes. We'd probably have never had this problem in the first place, if the cow's had been "meat free." Kind of ironic.

DarthBrandon
12-28-2003, 03:23 AM
That was a good one.

The cow, by the way, that was infected came from Canada. Is it me or are those good-for-nothing Canadians always starting trouble down here? lol

MABTON, Washington, Dec 24 (Reuters) - Residents of the struggling, sleepy dairy town of Mabton were in shock on Wednesday after finding themselves at the epicenter of a global scare over beef tainted with mad cow disease.

A riverfront town in the farm belt of southern Washington State, Mabton was already suffering from weak milk prices before the shocking news this week that a 4-year-old Holstein from a local dairy had tested positive in a preliminary test for mad cow disease.

Already, 4,000 cattle, or two-thirds of Mabton's dairy herd, have been quarantined and some residents fear the worst. During the mad cow scares in the 1990s, Britain destroyed 3.7 million cattle and, earlier this year, Canada lost billions of dollars after one case of mad cow was found in Alberta.

"I never imagined something like this would happen," said Vernon Stottlemyer, a retired construction worker who has lived in Mabton for more than 50 years. "We're all worried about what will happen to the farms around here."

U.S. officials on Tuesday announced the first known U.S. case of mad cow disease, a wasting illness that eats holes in a cow's brain and has been linked to 130 human deaths in Europe.

The positive test came from a dairy cow from Mabton that was sold to meat processors and likely turned into hamburger meat and possibly already consumed.

"It's kind of scary. What is going to happen to us?" said Jose Martinez, an unemployed farm worker here.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture, citing privacy concerns, has not yet identified the source of the infected cow, saying only that it came from Mabton, which is home to half a dozen dairy farms. With a population of just 1,900, cows outnumber town residents about four to one.

State troopers, however, were blocking a narrow road leading to the Hidden Valley Dairy and warned reporters to approach with care.

"If you drive up the driveway, don't be surprised if you are looking down the barrel of a 12-gauge shotgun", said Dave Leary of the Washington State Patrol.

Local residents blocked roads near other farms and two out-of-town television crews said drivers had tried to run their TV trucks off the road.

"I think we are going to be okay, but I am concerned there's going to be a lot of overreaction," said Mabton's part-time Mayor David Conradt. "It's not a nuclear disaster, but it's a terrible situation and a concern."

Located about 40 miles (64 km) southeast of Yakima, Mabton's 1,900 inhabitants have a median age of 22, served by two small grocery stores, a single gas station and one bar.

The town, which is nestled between the meadows and vineyards of Horse Heaven Hills and the Yakama Indian Reservation, is surrounded by farms and orchards, many decorated with Christmas lights.

Hispanics, including hundreds of migrant workers from Mexico, comprise about 90 percent of the local population. Many signs are in Spanish and local stores stock popular ingredients for Mexican cooking.

Even some of the locals said they wouldn't be buying beef for a while.

"We're switching to pork at home," said Martinez.

Enough said?

WASHINGTON, Dec 27 (Reuters) - The U.S. Agriculture Department said on Saturday it believes a dairy cow infected with mad cow disease was imported from Canada in 2001.

Ron DeHaven, the USDA's chief veterinarian, told reporters the cow was one of 74 cattle imported into Idaho from Alberta, Canada, in August 2001. The cow was born in April 1997.

All 74 went to a dairy operation in Mattawa, Washington, DeHaven said. He said it was too early to speculate where the other 73 dairy cows went from there.

The discovery of the deadly, brain-wasting disease in a six-and-a-half-year-old Holstein dairy cow in Washington state has cut off U.S. exports of beef, sent food company stocks tumbling and shaken consumer confidence.

The Bush administration said the beef supply is safe for consumers. The USDA said meat linked to the infected cow was sold in four western states -- Washington, Oregon, California and Nevada.

Safeway Inc. <SWY.N>, Fred Meyer and Albertsons Inc. <ABS.N> have asked customers to return certain cases of beef patties and other products that originated at Vern's of Moses Lake Meats, which slaughtered the infected cow.

Some two dozen nations have halted imports of U.S. beef. The USDA is sending a team of trade experts to Japan and will begin talks on Monday on how to address that nation's concerns and resume beef shipments.

Prove it :D Seems to me that this is more like specualtion / propaganda, I wonder why the U.S. thinks that their problems stem from another country, they can do no wrong, but we are to believe that they imported cows from Canada then later on when it contracts mad cow disease it's our fault. Could it be that they have their own case of Mad cow disease, they've been feeding the cow since 2001 or is it like the blackout across the country that was first speculated to be some dumb Canadian's fault, which by the way was proved later on to be on the U.S. side of the coin. :D

Kidhuman
12-28-2003, 03:40 AM
Gimme a nice steak and Im happy. Had a double cheeseburger today, was awesome

DarthBrandon
12-28-2003, 03:44 AM
Gimme a nice steak and Im happy. Had a double cheeseburger today, was awesome

I 2nd that, I'll be eating beef until I die or it kills me either way I'll be happy.

InsaneJediGirl
12-28-2003, 06:48 AM
It does make me sick that the farmers or who ever just cut up an infected cow and sent it out to market. The whole beef industry is disturbing. I'm not only talking about the mad cow deal, but the daily routine of killing the cows. I have seen it and it is not humane IMHO. I do eat beef, but I don't have to like how it's done right? :(

Did they know it was infected?I know Mad Cow can be in an animal for years of any sign of problems.But I agree with you,sometimes slaughter practices aren't all that great.

As for the U.S. saying it was from Canada,I think its a way of looking to get the heat off us Americans.It really wouldnt be Canadas falut anyways if the animal in question was born before 1997.The feed then used to have all sorts of little ground up cow parts,used both by Canada and USA.Well,at least until it was banned.

Turbowars
12-28-2003, 12:07 PM
Sing it guys, "Blame Canada, Blame Canada...........LOL, Hell I don't care who's fault it is, just fix it!!!!!!!:evil:

Turbowars
12-28-2003, 08:38 PM
Enough said?

Prove it :D Seems to me that this is more like specualtion / propaganda, I wonder why the U.S. thinks that their problems stem from another country, they can do no wrong, but we are to believe that they imported cows from Canada then later on when it contracts mad cow disease it's our fault. Could it be that they have their own case of Mad cow disease, they've been feeding the cow since 2001 or is it like the blackout across the country that was first speculated to be some dumb Canadian's fault, which by the way was proved later on to be on the U.S. side of the coin. :DI went out with my parents tonight and my mother told me that the disease takes 4 years to show up. If that's true, the poor cow had it before being imported. Dude, like I said I don't care who's fault it is, but take care of it. Who ever went off on Canada is just uneducated. I wouldn't take it to heart, I read your other important people thread and god I'm happy they came up with the dental mirror!;)

Jedi Tech
12-28-2003, 08:52 PM
I went out with my parents tonight and my mother told me that the disease takes 4 years to show up. If that's true, the poor cow had it before being imported. Dude, like I said I don't care who's fault it is, but take care of it. Who ever went off on Canada is just uneducated. I wouldn't take it to heart, I read your other important people thread and god I'm happy they came up with the dental mirror!;)

That's cool Turbowars, I don't take much to heart except personal attacks, but I'd thought it be nice to show that we are pretty smart individuals, that's why I put the big :D all over the place to show that I'm not mad at all.

JT from work
Brandon at home

Turbowars
12-28-2003, 08:55 PM
That's cool Turbowars, I don't take much to heart except personal attacks, but I'd thought it be nice to show that we are pretty smart individuals, that's why I put the big :D all over the place to show that I'm not mad at all.

JT from work
Brandon at homeThanks for the "JT from work". I was like what are you talking about, LOL

JediTricks
12-28-2003, 11:54 PM
Went to Ralph's today to get some Roast Beef (for a French Dip sandwich at home) and couldn't find any. Well, any reasonably priced anyway. It was like 5 bucks for 8 oz. Ridiculous. You'd think that cows were an endangered species or something. Hate to see the prices for a good Filet Mignon. :eek:Reminds me of when George W. Bush choked on a pretzel during the Super Bowl or something and for many months afterwards, Wal-mart stopped carrying all pretzels.

My sister, her daughter and I had really nice steaks on Christmas eve at my mother's house, the first homemade steak I've had that I'd classify as "really good". It was good then, so I certainly can't give it up now. :D

Jargo
12-29-2003, 05:02 PM
Good grief Charlie Brown! Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (CJD) & Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE)
Got that? The first one is the human form and the latter is the cows. Mother-in-laws fall somewhere in between hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

I kill myself, I really do.........

scruffziller
12-30-2003, 09:49 AM
Enough said?

Prove it :D Seems to me that this is more like specualtion / propaganda, I wonder why the U.S. thinks that their problems stem from another country, they can do no wrong, but we are to believe that they imported cows from Canada then later on when it contracts mad cow disease it's our fault. Could it be that they have their own case of Mad cow disease, they've been feeding the cow since 2001 or is it like the blackout across the country that was first speculated to be some dumb Canadian's fault, which by the way was proved later on to be on the U.S. side of the coin. :DYea it sounds like PETA has struck again!!!!!!!!:rolleyes: :p

Basically the attitude that people are developing is media induced by fear and is not rational. And myself, I am not nessesarily making light of the situation itself, but I am thwarting the media's version of it. Like I always say, the media is the fourth branch of government and is the most powerful branch. Power of suggestion, if people believe something to be true then they are real in their cirmustances. It has been proven, it is safer to fly than it is to drive, but most people don't feel that way, why because everytime there is a planecrash the media makes it stick in people's minds so they develop an irrational fear. If the sum number of every car crash in the world was displayed on the front page of the newspaper everyday and on the news on TV everyday (56,000 people dead today worldwide from car crashes!!!!:p ), I guarantee car sales would plummmet and the freeways would be alot less congested.

Will it effect my decision to eat beef in the future? At this point, we all need to be on the defensive and question just how our food is grown and prepared. If it's not one thing, it's bound to be another... I'll be watching to see how this situation evolves before I react. In this case, a little paranoia can be a good thing for all of us. Better, stricter standards means healthier food.
Yea don't forget that Egyptian Rust(or something) that hit the soybeen crop and made a bunch of people sick.

I do eat beef, but I don't have to like how it's done right? :(
No.

You just don't think about it as such.

JEDIpartner
12-30-2003, 10:02 AM
No... and No...

EricRG
12-31-2003, 01:39 AM
BEEF??? What's beef?

bobafrett
12-31-2003, 01:45 AM
Where's the Beef?

plasticfetish
12-31-2003, 03:06 AM
BEEF??? What's beef?
It's what's for dinner.

JediTricks
12-31-2003, 03:49 AM
Beef: tasty food that used to say "moo". ;)

plasticfetish
12-31-2003, 04:25 AM
Oh, shucks, no more air-injection stunning.

From USDA news release (Dec. 30)...
Air-Injection Stunning. To ensure that portions of the brain are not dislocated into the tissues of the carcass as a consequence of humanely stunning cattle during the slaughter process, FSIS is issuing a regulation to ban the practice of air-injection stunning. (http://www.usda.gov/news/releases/2003/12/0449.htm)

Now... does that mean we'll be going back to the old sledge hammer method?

stillakid
12-31-2003, 10:23 AM
Beef: tasty food that used to say "moo". ;)

It's the other white meat....oh, wait a minute... sorry...

Exhaust Port
12-31-2003, 03:25 PM
Mad Cow what? Never heard of it....pass the steak.