PDA

View Full Version : Good For Nothing Canadians

DarthBrandon
12-28-2003, 03:15 AM
Someone mentioned something about good for nothing Canadians in another thread, so I thought I'd post some of out accomplishments.

Canadians have been responsible for some of the best inventions of our time. Canadians should be proud of all the products we're contributed to the world market.

acrylics (Plexiglas/Perspex/Lucite) - William Chalmers
Actar 911 CPR Dummy - Dianne Croteau, Richard Brault and Jonathan Vinden
air-conditioned railway coach - Henry Ruttan (1858)
antigravity suit - Wilbur R. Franks (1940)
Balderdash - Laura Robinson and Paul Toyne (1984)
basketball - James Naismith (1892)
batteryless radio (AC radio tube) - Edward Samuel Rogers Sr. (1925)
bovril
butter substitute
Canadarm - SPAR and the National Aeronautical Establishment (1981)
calcium carbide and acetylene gas (production of) - Thomas L. "Carbide" Wilson (1892)
carcino embryonic antigen (CEA) blood test - Dr. Phil Gold (1968)
cardiac intensive care unit (first)
cobalt bomb - University of Saskatchewan and Eldorado Mining and Refining (1951)
compound marine engine - Benjamin Franklin Tibbets compound revolving snow shovel (trains)
computerized braille
crash position indicator (C.P.I) - Harry T. Stevinson and David M. Makow (1959)

dental mirror
disintegrating plastic
ear piercer
electric cooking range - Thomas Ahearn (1882)
electric hand prosthesis for children - Helmut Lukas (1971)
electrical car (North America's first)
electric wheelchair - George J. Klein
electron microscope - Prof. E. F. Burton and Cecil Hall, James Hillier and Albert Prebus (late 1930s)
electronic wave organ - Frank Morse Robb (1927)
explosives vapour detector - Dr Lorne Elias (1990)
fathometer - Reginald Fessenden
film developing tank
five pin bowling - Thomas E. Ryan (1909)
foghorn - Robert Foulis (1854)
frozen fish - Dr. Archibald G. Huntsman (1926)

garbage bag (green plastic) - Harry Wasyluk and Larry Hanson (1950s)
Gestalt Photo Mapper - G. Hobrough (1975)
gingerale - John J. McLaughlin (1904)
goalie mask - Jacques Plante (1959)
Green ink - Thomas Sterry Hunt (1862)
hair tonic
heart valve operation (first)
helicopter trap (for landing on ships)
helium as a substitute for hydrogen in airships
hydrofoil boat - Alexander Graham Bell and Casey Baldwin (1908)
IMAX - Grahame Ferguson, Roman Kroitor, Robert Kerr (1968)
instant potato flakes - Dr. Edward Asselbegs and the Food Research Institute (1962)
insulation
insulin (as diabetes treatment) - Dr. Frederick Banting, Dr. Charles Best and Dr. Collip (1921)

Java - James Gosling
Jetline
jolly jumper - Olivia Poole
kerosene - Abraham Gesner (1840)
lacrosse - played since the 1600s; William George Beers set out standard rules (1860)
laser (sailboat) - Bruce Kirby, Ian Bruce and Hans Fogh (1969)
lightbulb (first patented) - Henry Woodward (1874)
liposomes

machine gun tracer bullet
MacPherson gas mask
measure for footwear
Muskol
Newtsuit - Phil Nuytten
newsprint - Charles Fenerty (1838)
Nursing Mother Breast Pads - Marsha Skrypuch (1986)

pablum - Drs. Alan Brown, Fred Tisdall, and Theo Drake (1930s)
pacemaker - Wilfred Bigelow
paint roller - Norman Breakey (1940)
panoramic camera - John Connon (1887)
Phi (position homing indicator for aircraft)
Pictionary - Rob Angel (1986)
pizza pizza telephone computer delivery services
portable high chair
Puzz-3D
(A) Question of Scruples - Robert Simpson (1984)
radar profile recorder - NRC (1947)
radio compass
retractable beer carton handle (Tuck-away-handle Beer Carton) - Steve Pasjac (1957)
rollerskate

screw propeller
ski-binding
snowblower - Arthur Sicard (1927)
snowmobile - Joseph-Armand Bombardier (1937)
snowplow (rotary) - invented by J.W. Elliot (1869), first built by Leslie Brothers (1883)
steam foghorn
standard time - Sir Sanford Fleming (1879)
Stanley Cup - (Canada's Governor-General) Lord Stanley of Preston (1893)
Stol aircraft - de Havilland Canada (1948)
submarine telegraph cable
Superman - Joe Shuster and Jerome Siegel (1938)
table hockey - Donald Munro (1930s)
telephone - Alexander Graham Bell (1874)
Trivial Pursuit - Chris Haney, John Haney and Scott Abbott (1982)

Tube expander -(North America's first) Rosaire Dumouchel (my father, still have the original one)

variable Pitch Propeller - Wallace Rupert Turnbull (1918)
Walkie-Talkie - Donald L. Hings (1942)
washing machine
wirephoto - Sir William Stephenson (1921)
Yachtzee
zipper - Gideon Sundback (1913)

Quite an important list for a bunch of dummies :D

DarthBrandon
12-28-2003, 03:17 AM
That's quite a list my friends :D

Beast
12-28-2003, 03:52 AM
It still doesn't make up for their beady eyes, flapping heads, and saying 'Aboot' instead of 'About'. J/K. Nice list. ;) :D lol

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DarthBrandon
12-28-2003, 04:04 AM
It still doesn't make up for their beady eyes, flapping heads, and saying 'Aboot' instead of 'About'. J/K. Nice list. ;) :D lol

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Yeah, but nothing in life is perfect JarJarBinks, if it were you'd all realize how superior we are. :D

Beast
12-28-2003, 04:10 AM
Just wait, Canadian Bacon could happen one day. Then we invade. :)

"Surrender Pronto, Or We'll Level Toronto." lol :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DarthBrandon
12-28-2003, 04:13 AM
Just wait, Canadian Bacon could happen one day. Then we invade. :)

"Surrender Pronto, Or We'll Level Toronto." lol :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LOL, not bad my Gungan friend lol :D But remember what happened the last time you tried that, you got burned :D

mabudonicus
12-28-2003, 11:03 AM
I can't believe someone could talk so long about Canada without mentioning LANNY...
If nothing else, the proper study of Lanny began in Canada.....

And what about the "pirate" accent??? That's right. You all know it, the "Harrrr-be-Darrrrrrr" one... well, that's pretty much just an eastern Canadian accent, so unless you think that everyone in Historical-style pirate movies should have stuffy British accents, Canada is HUGE important (PS, ironically Brandon doesn't really talk like a pirate, despite being an east-coast-er)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-28-2003, 08:45 PM
Yes, without the contributions of certain Canadians, this world would not be the place it truly is. Plus Brandon forgot to mention the contribution of three very important people. Bob & Doug McKenzie and Tim Horton. Plus, a multitude of Canadian musicians, actors, personalities, etc.

BTW, here is the article that lists the source of the mad-cow scare the Northwest U.S. is now experiencing. . .

<<Timeline of U.S. Mad Cow Case

A look at the history of a Holstein cow that tested positive as America's first case of mad cow disease.

Between 1997 and 1999: Born in Alberta, Canada.

August 2001: Enters United States in Eastport, Idaho, with 73 other cows. Delivered to a Mattawa, Wash., finishing company that feeds young cattle until maturation.

October 2001: Sold to Sunny Dene Ranch in Mabton, Wash.

Dec. 9: Slaughtered at Vern's Moses Lake Meats in Moses Lake, Wash. Carcass sent to Midway Meats in Centralia, Wash., for deboning. Meat cuts sent to two processing plants in the Portland, Ore., area - Willamette Valley Meats and Interstate Meats - which ground the beef and sell some to retailers in Washington, Oregon, California and Nevada. >>

True, they have not pinpointed whether the calf was infected here in the States, or while he was in Canada. But if you ask me my opinion about the situation, two words come to mind.

Blame Canada!

stillakid
12-28-2003, 09:24 PM
They are also making a lot of Movies of the Week, episodic television shows, and feature films of late! Thanks a ton! :ermm:

plasticfetish
12-28-2003, 11:52 PM
Canada? Never heard of it.

Jedi Tech
12-28-2003, 11:59 PM
Yes, without the contributions of certain Canadians, this world would not be the place it truly is. Plus Brandon forgot to mention the contribution of three very important people. Bob & Doug McKenzie and Tim Horton. Plus, a multitude of Canadian musicians, actors, personalities, etc.

BTW, here is the article that lists the source of the mad-cow scare the Northwest U.S. is now experiencing. . .

<<Timeline of U.S. Mad Cow Case

A look at the history of a Holstein cow that tested positive as America's first case of mad cow disease.

Between 1997 and 1999: Born in Alberta, Canada.

August 2001: Enters United States in Eastport, Idaho, with 73 other cows. Delivered to a Mattawa, Wash., finishing company that feeds young cattle until maturation.

October 2001: Sold to Sunny Dene Ranch in Mabton, Wash.

Dec. 9: Slaughtered at Vern's Moses Lake Meats in Moses Lake, Wash. Carcass sent to Midway Meats in Centralia, Wash., for deboning. Meat cuts sent to two processing plants in the Portland, Ore., area - Willamette Valley Meats and Interstate Meats - which ground the beef and sell some to retailers in Washington, Oregon, California and Nevada. >>

True, they have not pinpointed whether the calf was infected here in the States, or while he was in Canada. But if you ask me my opinion about the situation, two words come to mind.

Blame Canada!

Whatever : :p :crazed: Speculation at best :D

JediTricks
12-29-2003, 01:44 AM
Canada? Never heard of it.You know, Canadia: They're those guys who chop down trees in the frozen north and don't know what bacon is? They like hockey a lot, call each other hosers, and try to force the world to speak more French? The Kids in the Hall are always talking about it for some reason. Come on, you know, that state between Maine and Alaska.

;) :crazed: j/k

Beast
12-29-2003, 01:50 AM
Canada, they gave us Mike Myers and William Shatner. For this, they must die. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar BInks

JediTricks
12-29-2003, 01:58 AM
Hey now, let's not be naughty about Shatner: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22515

scruffziller
12-29-2003, 09:08 AM
Canada, they gave us Mike Myers and William Shatner. For this, they must die. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar BInks
They also gave us Jim Carrey and Tom Green, for this we owe our souls.:zzz: :p

stillakid
12-29-2003, 11:11 AM
I hear that Canada is the worldwide supplier of Canadians.

Beast
12-29-2003, 12:03 PM
I hear that Canada is the worldwide supplier of Canadians.
Take off eh, ya hoser. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bobafrett
12-29-2003, 01:35 PM

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar BInks

Yes, but they also gave us the power rock trio known as "RUSH". And for that I am thankful! Besides, have you ever been fishing in Canada? It's awesome! :classic:

JON9000
12-29-2003, 04:05 PM
and when it comes to Ice Curling, they will put a whuppin' on you!

BTW, in America, we learn that we won the War of 1812, another war of British aggression!!! :p

jjreason
12-29-2003, 04:48 PM
That's funny, Canadians actually burnt the White House in that war. The only reason we gave all that land because is because Detroit was in there! lol

**Kidding, Michiganders, I love Motown as much as anyone (from the safety of my Canadian home, mind you, but the love is there!).**

Canada provides an enormous amount of natural resources to you in the US, at prices too good to be true (if you ask the forestry workers, anyway). In terms of grain, meat, milk, vegetable and fruit exports, Canada truly does feed the world.

We have only 10 percent of your population, but suffer less than one percent of your firearms deaths.

Everyone up here has access to emergency medical care, at no cost to them (well, we do pay a lot more tax - but we don't have to pay at the ER to get stitched up, have the baby, etc).

New moms are entitled to most of their pay for a year from the government so they can stay home with baby.

We have more land per capita than any other country in the world, though much of it resembles Hoth.

Canada is actually the second largest contiguous country in the world (behind Russia), bigger than your "50 States". Only when one figures in Hawaii and Alaska does the US become larger. Pretty close, though.

Lest ye forget, not only did we win the war of 1812, we also won the war of 2002 in Salt Lake - our Men's and Women's hockey teams beat yours in both gold medal games. :cool:

The 'Xir
12-29-2003, 08:02 PM
Well someone already mentioned Rush, but I was always a big Bryan Adams fan when I was younger(when he actually used to rock). I love Sarah Mclachlan too... However as far as best product to come out of Canada I only have two words.... Labatt Beer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-29-2003, 10:51 PM
They also gave us Jim Carrey and Tom Green, for this we owe our souls.

We should thank Canada for Tom Green?

I betcha the minute he crossed the border into the States, 90% of the general populace of Canada high-fived each other in unison.

I hear their next mission is to get rid of Anne Murrary. lol