PDA

View Full Version : The Alamo

Tycho
12-28-2003, 08:11 PM
Anyone seen this yet? The topic interests me a lot.

I'll be going soon.

derek
12-28-2003, 09:56 PM
i think this film tested horribly at test screenings and has been pushed back to the spring or summer 2004.

Tycho
12-29-2003, 01:09 AM
That's too bad. It is on a topic and a period piece that interests me.

The Mexican-American War is along the lines of western fans' interests, generally speaking

I don't recall who's in "The Alamo" as the stars.

Do you recall?

And perhaps critics and test audiences just aren't as interested in the subject matter as I am.

It could be:

women portions of the audience, not interested in a war movie.

western fans, not interested in a war movie.

War movie fans, not interested in it being done like a western (though it is a western movie topic, generally speaking).

Bad acting, bad casting.

Bad directing or bad intent with style - such like if there were rock music or something played during the fight sequences or something.

Depressing topic - we lost that part of the war, right down to the last man. How can there be hope? It's like Pearl Harbor without the Doolittle Raid when we get them back by bombing Tokyo.

derek
12-29-2003, 07:55 AM
billy bob thornton is davey crockett and dennis quaid is sam houston.

ron howard was supposed to direct this movie but pulled out when the studio demanded the film be PG-13.

Tycho
12-29-2003, 01:02 PM
stupid studio. Probably thought they'd make a lot in resales by making the movie available as an educational tool for high schools once it reaches DVD.

Make a good movie, but make an edited version if you want to show it to youngsters.

Overall, I'm not sure how many youngsters (outside of school) will go and see this. Maybe "cowboys and Indians" and all - fans of that. But I think kids immitate Yugio and Pokemon or whatever, nowadays. If military at all - then probably GI Joe vs. Cobra (or Star Wars).

But maybe they're going for the Pirates of the Carribean crowd? I'm not certain, but wasn't that Rated R? There was some controversy or speculation a while back, about Disney doing their first Rated R movie - or something close.

It wasn't sexual content, nor would it be for Alamo. It would be "Saving Private Ryan" style violence. But man, that's exactly what kids love!

kool-aid killer
12-30-2003, 10:43 AM
Tycho, i believe Pirates was the first PG-13 movie done by Disney, hence the controversy.

I seen the films trailer while sitting in the lobby of a local theater. I thought it said it was coming out the 25th but havent seen any commercials or such so perhaps it was pushed back. I remember reading about how somebody wanted it to display both sides of the conflict. It seems like an interesting topic for a movie so i was (am) looking forward to seeing it.

derek
12-30-2003, 07:07 PM
here's the imdb link for this film:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0318974/