PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Artist: X-Men

JON9000
12-29-2003, 10:19 PM
Who did the best work on X-Men? Lots of guys have come and gone through the years. I think my favorite was Jim Lee. The work he did was unreal. Although I also have a soft spot for John Byrne and some of Mark Silvestri's stuff.

Eternal Padawan
12-30-2003, 10:26 AM
Silvestri was the man when I started my run lo those many years ago, so he's the benchmark for me. Simonson was doing X-Factor around then. He's tops in my book, too. Rick Leonardi was pretty good. Lee almost goes without saying doesn't he?

Bel-Cam Jos
12-30-2003, 10:58 AM
John Byrne. I stopped collecting after all the "Mutants Come Together" or "All Mutants Must Die" multi-series crossovers of the early '90s, so his were the best stories, many great characters intro'd. His artwork still holds up today, IMO.

jjreason
12-30-2003, 01:15 PM
Well, Byrne's my favorite too. That being said, there are a few honourable mentions that I'd like to add:

Dave Cockrum - responsible (nearly singlehandedly so) for the original designs of the "New" X-Men (by New I mean 2nd generation: Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Thunderbird...) as first seen in Giant Size #1. Cockrum drew X-Men until 108, Byrne's first issue, and may have taken back over when Byrne left at issue 143.

Neal Adams - who was almost able to stay the axe which would have cancelled X-Men after issue 66. His work on the last 11 issues of the original run made fans jump on board. The book still went to reprints for 27 issues, but if Neal hadn't created some interest we would have likely never seen GS 1 or the revamping in issue 94. Looking at the art in these issues, one can only speculate on how many more breathtaking Children of the Atom pages Adams could have cranked out.

Paul Michael Smith - around the issue 175 mark PMS was there to draw the Wolvie's wedding issue, that amazing cover with Cyke smashing the logo whilst in the clutches of the vile mutant squid, etc. etc. etc. Great artist, I wish I knew what he was up to right now.

Kirby, Werner Roth, Jim Lee, Adam Kubert, Silvestri, Joe Madureira, and Frank Quitely have all stunned me with great X-Art. Im sure there are more, but these all came to mind while I was typing this.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
12-30-2003, 01:51 PM
Jim Lee is a definate favorite for me. I remember having a 3 comic set of his works from from a certain trading card line. The second would have to be either Mark Silvestri or Fabian Neziezza (sp?).

jjreason
12-31-2003, 03:41 AM
Nicienza. :) Im adding Barry Windsor Smith who did a few sparse X-Issues here and there - but always brilliantly. His cover with Storm (sporting the new mohawk, in biker leather, on a red or purple cover - "Lifedeath 2" or something) stands out.

John Romita Jr. had Uncanny right around 185-200, and was starting to come into his own. Very different from JRJr's current style - a little more angular - but still pretty cool. Great issue of a bar fight between Colossus and Jugs that he sketched up pretty neato. 186 perhaps?