PDA

View Full Version : X-Wing (Red Leader) Pictured

SirSteve
12-29-2003, 11:01 PM
http://sirstevesguide.com/news/?m=show&id=29856

So what do you think? Looks pretty good to me.

Beast
12-29-2003, 11:05 PM
Does look pretty good, but it should be 'Red Leader' and not 'Red Five' on the thread title. Cause Red Five is Luke's call sign. Just letting ya know. Hopefully the final set will come with Red Leader's Red/Black R5 Astromech. :)

http://www.astromech.net/gallery/astromechs/unknown/imagepage10.htm

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

TheDarthVader
12-29-2003, 11:52 PM
Looks good but it is not fair that a figure collector has to buy the X-wing just to get the exclusive pilot and hopefully the exclusive droid. :( Wonder if Hasbro would ever consider releasing him on a card??

Beast
12-30-2003, 12:01 AM
Well, they never have re-released any of the previously exclusive pack-in figures on a card. So unfortunatly I don't see it happening. I just hope the Astromech is included. Since he's such an intresting design. And the pilot is just a rehash of POTJ Luke: Pilot and a 'new' head. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

SirSteve
12-30-2003, 12:05 AM
Oops... that's what I get for trying to watch TV and post an article at the same time. ;) Thanks.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-30-2003, 12:13 AM
What are the major differences between this X-wing and lukes?

(and yes, i know the figures are different. :D )

I'm talking like design and stuff.

Beast
12-30-2003, 12:19 AM
Look at the wings, the stripes on them. There's only one since he's Red Leader. Where as Luke's X-Wing has five stripes. Other then that, looks like a much darker paint wash and detailing over the whole ship. But less on the engines areas. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
12-30-2003, 12:44 AM
Wait a minute, I thought the Pilot was going to be a carded figure. Didn't we see a nice pic somewhere with new straps hanging down in the crotch? I would have rather gotten the Droid as a pack-in. I guess the droid will be cool as a carded figure.

Beast
12-30-2003, 12:47 AM
That's Gold Leader, who's part of the 'Battle of Yavin' wave. This is Red Leader, who is a pack-in with his X-Wing. Again, hopefully his R5 is included. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
12-30-2003, 12:54 AM
That's Gold Leader, who's part of the 'Battle of Yavin' wave. This is Red Leader, who is a pack-in with his X-Wing. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar BinksOh crap, I thought they were the same one. OK, so to get up to speed, the one that's a pack-in is a rehash of the POTJ X-wing Luke with a new head? I think I might have to pass. I already have 2 of the Saga x-wings. Oh, but the new white packaging will look cool. No, no reason to get it. If this keeps up, the Y-wing and B-wing will follow.

stillakid
12-30-2003, 10:41 AM
I'm in. Don't know where I'm going to put it, but I'm in. :)

bobafrett
12-30-2003, 10:43 AM
I like it, but I'm watching my money right now, so hopefully this won't be out for awhile. I will pick it up though if I have the money.

Masterdorkboy
12-30-2003, 10:47 AM
I will definitely get it, but I don't see that there is an appreciable difference between this one and the saga one.

JON9000
12-30-2003, 11:05 AM
Hopefully we can get Gold Leader, since I missed the POTJ Y-wing when it came out. :(

kool-aid killer
12-30-2003, 12:10 PM
I hear you about the Y-wing, i missed that too. I will probably get this X-wing, i only have the POTF one that came out years ago. Hopefully it does come with its correct R2 unit. And i hope that if Hasbro releases the B-wing again it will come with a brand new figure, not some rehash half butt one. But a new alien pilot.

sith_killer_99
12-30-2003, 01:49 PM
Well, it's got the socket, so it better come with the Astromech or I will pass! I don't mind the re-paint/re-hash...as long as...

1. It has a unique pack-in figure (ie Red Leader).

2. It has a unique (movie accurate) astromech.

3. It has a new paint scheme.

4. It is reasonably priced (ie the same price or better than the SAGA Luke X-Wing).

I am a bit disappointed that they are going with a new head on the POTJ Luke. Afterall, the POTJ Luke was made to be kinda small, Hasbro's attempt at being more "movie accurate". It works with a little guy like Mark, but wasn't Red Leader a fully grown adult...lol.

Boba Fetish
12-30-2003, 02:05 PM
Well, they never have re-released any of the previously exclusive pack-in figures on a card. So unfortunatly I don't see it happening. I just hope the Astromech is included. Since he's such an intresting design. And the pilot is just a rehash of POTJ Luke: Pilot and a 'new' head. :)

I thought the head was from the Y-Wing pack in figure from the POTJ line. I don't have an image handy so if you do let me know if my memory is incorrect. I also hope they make that cracked out R5 unit too.

Jayspawn
12-30-2003, 09:16 PM
I think it looks cool and I cant wait to buy. I doesnt matter to me if the figure is a rehashed X-Wing Luke body. To me its a whole new figure.

Turbowars
12-30-2003, 10:05 PM
I guess it would look cool hanging next to Lukes, I'm a sucker what can I say. JJB, I set myself up again. What are you waiting for??;)

Beast
12-30-2003, 10:35 PM
I guess it would look cool hanging next to Lukes, I'm a sucker what can I say. JJB, I set myself up again. What are you waiting for??;)
Nah Turbie, there's a point it's too easy that it seems almost cruel. Besides, I'll be getting one myself. So what can I say. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
12-30-2003, 10:38 PM
you disappoint me, you took to long.:)

Banthaholic
01-29-2004, 11:57 PM
New pics are up at Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000TYHMI/104-2429027-2640732?v=glance&s=toys&me=A3UN6WX5RRO2AG&vi=pictures&img=14#more-pictures

Is that a droid I see?????

Turbowars
01-30-2004, 12:01 AM
New pics are up at Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000TYHMI/104-2429027-2640732?v=glance&s=toys&me=A3UN6WX5RRO2AG&vi=pictures&img=14#more-pictures

Is that a droid I see?????Ummm, there's seems to be a droid, but it looks to be very short, or is some kind of paper mock up. I know that it isn't a Astro droid in there.

Jargo
01-30-2004, 06:52 AM
Looks like a mock up of an R5 unit. To be honest this is just money for old rope, same old same old dressed up in new colours badly. Rehashed pilot figure, rehashed twice released vehicle probably a rehashed R5-DL head on the droid if one comes with it. I mean if hasbroken seriously want people to spend serious cash on one of these they better get the paint aps spot on and make the thing in decent sturdy plastics because otherwise I aint touching it. I'm beyond buying for the sake of buying, gimmicks and trickery are no match for the power of the Emperors wallet.

Turbowars
01-30-2004, 11:59 AM
I agree about rehashing, but I think the this X-wing is a great ship. If it does come with a correct R5, then I'll buy it. I like the cleaner look to it. The pilot is no big deal to me. Hell, put him on a card and keep the price of the ship down. I'm sure there's a few kids that didn't score the frist release.

Jargo
01-30-2004, 12:46 PM
Well, i have no problem with making a kitbashed figure from other figure parts if it's done well like the Imperial dignitaries or the J'quille and Elom figures. or Danl Faytonni and Achk Med-Beq, but to use a seriously inferior head on a superior figure body is just stupid. And if it doesn't come with an astro droid then it's even more stupid. The X-wing is a big awkard to display ship and to convince people it's worth buying they needed to have something worth buying it for. A slight deco change and less stickerage isn't really a reason to plonk down 30-40 dollars. I would have expected to see the accessories from the non appearing Yavin hangar set in with the ship, the ladders and the cases and ground light and batons. I'd have taken those over a stupid rehash figure. I'd sooner get the pilots carded and have their space filled with decent accessories in the package for the ship. Y'know, make all the rebel pilots same sized head and helmets, relative sized bodies. Then sell them carded or as a three pack. They don't need a lot of articulation, just no wild action poses, but a three pack of Red leader, Biggs and that geezer that was supposed to be Wedge before they made Dennis Lawson wedge. Three pilots. packed together. Then make a generic X-wing and pack in the stripe stickers seperate from the ship so you can decide for yourself how to decorate and designate the wings. Build an armada if you so wish. I mean c'mon it takes no brains to figure something like that out to shift more units from the stores but instead Hasbro goes and makes something character specific so buying more than one is not likely unless you're a mad collector, they shove in a weak *** figure that no-one really wants and waste a perfectly good opportunity once again to do something right.
If there's one thing I've learned about hasbroken it's that they have absolutely no imagination. No idea of how to sell their product to consumers and no idea about anything other than raking in the cash for old crud.

mtriv73
01-30-2004, 03:03 PM
If there isn't a full sized R5 droid in this set, I'm not touching it. The figure is horrible. How hard would it be to repaint a removable helmet (like the gold leader figure) and stick it on a decent head. If the R5 is just a paper mock-up then I hope these things rot on the shelves.