PDA

View Full Version : Should SSG start posting rumored news?

SirSteve
12-30-2003, 10:31 AM
We had this poll once before but it didn't get a big response so we are trying it again...

SSG has prided itself on giving you factual news but the question is still burning regarding rumors. Should we start posting rumors?

stillakid
12-30-2003, 10:38 AM
I voted NO, STICK TO THE FACTS, although I'll add the caveat that maybe you could have a separate section somehow that is for rumors only. Call it the Rumor Mill or something but keep it off on it's own. That way, the information is kinda there, and people can keep up on the rumblings about town, but they are well aware that it is unconfirmed. When/If the information gets confirmed, then it becomes official news and goes into the normal section.

kool-aid killer
12-30-2003, 11:33 AM
I voted no, keep to the facts. Rumors are posted in threads but i dont see any harm in that. But if we were to see rumors on the front page then it may cause some confusion because people may take them as fact and end up being disappointed that they arent true.

JediBoulton
12-30-2003, 11:58 AM
If we want rumors -- we can visit another site -- SSG has always been about the truth. That is why SSG has such a great following -- yea, there are alot of jucy rumors out there -- but we can always count on SSG to not post it until it is from Lucas, Hasbro, whoever -- straight from the wookies mouth.

NO RUMORS

skeeziks22
12-30-2003, 12:49 PM
I check this site about once a day during the week... but don't have time to surf many other sites...

I voted for posting the rumors, but see the need for a seperate section for them as stillakid mentioned. If they were set off specifically in a rumor only section that would be good. Sometimes they can be spoilers, or major downers if they don't come true so it should be done with that in mind... not posted on the main news page.

I know the connections that the managers of this site have with Lucasfilm and Hasbro, so the info comes early when it is true... and I would believe the sources of the rumors a lot more if posted hear... of course understanding full well that they are still rumors.

It's nice to know which rumors are totally bunk and which may have some credence and i think you at SSG can do that for us.

do it, and save me some web-surfing!

LusiferSam
12-30-2003, 01:40 PM
The main reason I started coming here was the fact the no rumors were posted as news. I want the facts. If I want rumors I go somewhere else or check out the forums. Would I stop coming here if you guys started posting rumors, probably not. But I would find another site for just news.

DurgeCSF
12-30-2003, 02:15 PM
Yes, rumors are fun! :D

bobafrett
12-30-2003, 02:26 PM
No rumors, just a facts Mam!

SirSteve
12-30-2003, 02:30 PM
The main reason I bring this up again is because I am seeing a lot of talk about rumors from other sites and truth-be-known, we get the same info from the same sources. I just don't post it... keep the comments coming though...

scruffziller
12-30-2003, 03:21 PM
Yea Stilla's plan is the best.

darthzirock
12-30-2003, 03:24 PM
Plenty of rumors end up in the forums. As far as I'm concerned, that's the perfect place for them. If SirSteve or other reporters with SSG get wind of a juicy rumor and want to post it in the forums, in the appropriate sections, I see no harm in that. If they were to start getting posted on the main pages, I'd suggest GREAT BIG DISCLAIMERS.

JEDIpartner
12-30-2003, 03:45 PM
No rumours, please. Keep the site clean and lean. That's part of the reason I come here. I don't have time to muck about with nonsense. There are plenty of other sites you can go to if you want "Allegedly..."

:frus:

03springfield
12-30-2003, 05:07 PM
I remember when this site had pictures of the unpainted prototypes for product that wouldn't been officially announced for months. Now pictures are listed only after the blessing of Hasbro. Sad.

plasticfetish
12-30-2003, 05:34 PM
Truth be told, rumors don't bother me at all. As long as they're presented as such, and perhaps credited to some kind of source. I voted "only strong rumors", but I'm honestly more than willing to listen to anything... as long as I know roughly where it came from.

Be nice to know where most of these "facts" are coming from for that matter.

Val Da Car
12-30-2003, 06:47 PM
I voted for Only Strong Rumors but what will define a "Strong" Rumor?

1. Credible facts but not "Hasbroized" for approval
2. Mock ups (or bootlegs) that someone can spend some quality making to be mean spirited (or spread disinformation)
3. Information that Hasbro will not "Confirm or Deny"

Darth Deering
12-30-2003, 08:22 PM
I had to say stick with the facts. Although I have the same tendencies as everyone else when there's a car wrecked in the median (I slow down to look of course!), and would be tempted to read whatever you post, I'd like to reserve Sir Steve's as a place to find what's really going on. If I want to know what someone heard someone else say they think might be in a deleted scene on EIII's DVD, I'll go to one of the thousand sites designed around rumors! But alas, I am weak... someone suggested a rumor mill section, and I could buy into that too! Oh dear, torn between two lovers am I! Your site's good, do what you think is best!

Turbowars
12-30-2003, 08:23 PM
Bring on the rumors!! If you take them from GH they wouldn't be rumors. Come guys, this is all about fun. To tell you the truth I'm sick of seeing all the cool info somewhere else. It's really not a biggy, the rumors fill the forums ASAP after the news hits on the net. I do like Stilla's idea.

Banthaholic
12-30-2003, 09:30 PM
I voted a strong NO, stick to the facts.
Unless we have good evidence, ie pictures, mock ups, or interview verification, I don't want to read about it.
Maybe have a rumor section of the forums, although have it only be accessed by ssg reporters. The one thing I can't stand when I browse other sites, is constant posting of peoples want lists that get passed off as rumor lists, or worse yet people predictions lists.

stillakid
12-30-2003, 09:52 PM
I voted a strong NO, stick to the facts.
Unless we have good evidence, ie pictures, mock ups, or interview verification, I don't want to read about it.
Maybe have a rumor section of the forums, although have it only be accessed by ssg reporters. The one thing I can't stand when I browse other sites, is constant posting of peoples want lists that get passed off as rumor lists, or worse yet people predictions lists.

I agree. This is NOT a section for the forums. It should be just like a News Section where posts are only done by the moderators. The rank and file can submit rumors just like we do the news now. The biggest problem with only relying on the forums is that rumors are scattered everywhere in there. Having them in one place would save time and energy.

JediTricks
12-31-2003, 12:05 AM
I voted "only strong rumors" and would suggest that any of these "strong rumors" in our news be treated like spoilers with a mention to rumors in the title and a clear "Rumors Ahead" be above said rumors.

SirSteve
12-31-2003, 12:14 AM
I remember when this site had pictures of the unpainted prototypes for product that wouldn't been officially announced for months. Now pictures are listed only after the blessing of Hasbro. Sad.
True... and the reason we work "with" them now is because they will not invite us to cover events like Toy Fair or their Collector's Event... so...

Val Da Car
12-31-2003, 12:31 AM
'Nuff Said....

I support only confirmed, real news...anyone can be a rumor monger or kit basher but to be honest the showing of prototypes is cool but I love/hate to know what is coming out six months from now in a incomplete state.

dr_evazan22
12-31-2003, 12:37 AM
I voted for No Rumors. I like only reading about the truth.

I visit TFN and RS, as well as the OS, and I can read about any rumors on the first mentioned. I'm not trying to slam them, but I like keeping the rumors here in the forums.

Also, I would be worried that spoilers may be given out in the rumors title. I have a fairly good job of being spoiler-free and would like to keep it that way.

InsaneJediGirl
12-31-2003, 09:30 AM
I voted 'Only Strong Rumors'.Mock-Ups and photos of yet unproduced/possiblying being produced would be the only thing in my mind as 'strong rumors'.Other than that,stick to the facts.I think too many rumors makes it look like your trying to fill the news than actually report it.

Mandalorian Candidat
12-31-2003, 11:07 AM
I went for "facts only." While most of the rumors are interesting, I like the fact that SSG is pretty much a fact-oriented website (excluding the forums :) ). Stillakid's idea of having a separate news-type section for rumors isn't bad though. That way those of the forumites who love the rumors can check them out while distinguishing them (the rumors) from the facts.

Kidhuman
12-31-2003, 12:17 PM
Facts Please. If I want rumors I will watch CNN

Turbowars
12-31-2003, 06:52 PM
Facts Please. If I want rumors I will watch CNNLOL, your posts always bring a smile!lol

jeffonthego
12-31-2003, 08:30 PM
Simple problem, simple solution.

One page for "News", one page for "Rumours".

Everyone's happy.

I am Jabba the Hutt
01-01-2004, 04:33 PM
Simple problem, simple solution.

One page for "News", one page for "Rumours".

Everyone's happy.

Agreed! I love to hear the official news but also, I loved reading all the spy reports and rumours on theforce.net in the run up to Episode II. When I heard about that Jango Fett dude, I was hooked on the spoilers.

You could have one page for the official news like now and one for all the rumours and spy reports. That way, people who are users of your site would be less likely to look to others for their daily spoiler fix.

stillakid
01-02-2004, 11:53 AM
Facts Please. If I want rumors I will watch CNN

For "fair and balanced" rumors watch FOX.

Turambar
01-02-2004, 05:06 PM
I thought SSG already did have posted rumors. I see rumored figures all the time in the action figure sections, and rumored spoilers for E3 and other movies.

Turbowars
01-02-2004, 05:09 PM
I thought SSG already did have posted rumors. I see rumored figures all the time in the action figure sections, and rumored spoilers for E3 and other movies.That's in the forums. Steve is asking if he should post on the front page. If the info is as good as GH, then I say YES.

Darth Jax
01-02-2004, 11:35 PM
NO rumors, please. enough speculating occurs in the forums, it doesn't need to find its way to the front page. i've always liked that when i see something announced on the front page, i know its fact. sure a figure may be announced and i may not see it for a year. i've seen figures on 'rumor' lists year after year that still haven't been released.

fishyfett
01-05-2004, 10:31 AM
I'd like to hear what's official. So, let's just stick to the facts. As for rumors, I just go to work and there's plenty there.