PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Superior to Modern

JON9000
12-30-2003, 02:41 PM
Are there any vintage products you consider to be superior to their post 1995 counterparts? I think the following Vintage Products are superior or at least as good:

Jabba the Hutt- the Dias Jabba sits on makes the difference

The Snowspeeder- way better than the POTF2 version, equal to the POTJ version.

TIE fighter- at least we had some electronics!

What do you think?

Bel-Cam Jos
12-31-2003, 10:16 AM
Time to make a list:
VINTAGE vs. "MODERN"
Han Hoth / POTF2 Han Hoth
Emperor's Royal Guard / POTF2 Emperor's Royal Guard OR POTJ Coruscant Guard
Max Rebo Band / Rebo Band pairs
Landspeeder / POTF2 Landspeeder
Han's blaster (all black, any film logo) / Han's blaster (orange? ORANGE?!?)
Any Micro World scene / Any Micro Machines scene
Jawa Sandcrawler / _____ (insert unproduced product here)
Twin Pod Cloud Car / _____ (insert unproduced product here)
Death Star playset / _____ (insert unproduced product here)
Others?

JON9000
12-31-2003, 02:10 PM
I forgot about Han's blaster! A relic of the good old days when th ecops wouldn't imagine a ten year old having a real gun. I forgot about how cool the old school micro machines were as well.

jjreason
12-31-2003, 09:29 PM
I liked the vintage Bib Fortuna, Emperor's Royal Guard, Biker Scout and Jedi Luke figures better than the more modern ones we've been given so far. The old Han's blaster and Stormtrooper rifle were great. Tons of fun.

Bobajames
01-01-2004, 09:43 PM
i think the vintage packages were superior to the newer ones. The whole card is a picture straight from the movie of the guy you were buying! Makes better displays IMO.

LusiferSam
01-02-2004, 12:45 AM
I think all of the ROTJ figures are superior to their post '95 counterparts. The top spots of list are Royal Guard, Endor Han, Jedi Luke, Bib Fortuna, Poncho Leia and any Ewok. Yoda, Hoth Han, Yak Face and General Lando also make the list. Most of the vintage playset rock, none for modern do. Most of the vehicle are also way cool in their vintage incarnation than their modern. The expiations are:
F/X X-Wing, way better than the vintage
POTF2 Snowspeeder, better electronics and could shoot the harpoon
Saga Landspeeder, bigger and better paint job
AT-ST, same
Speederbikes, same
Skiff, same

Bel-Cam Jos
01-02-2004, 12:23 PM
Jabba the Hutt- the Dias Jabba sits on makes the difference
I just thought of this; being dropped into the Rancor pit would've been better than being so close to Jabba's body in the Kenner toy! :eek: :cry:

i think the vintage packages were superior to the newer ones. The whole card is a picture straight from the movie of the guy you were buying! Makes better displays IMO.
I agree wholeheartedly! Backs of cards were much, much better as well.

Other better Vintage ones:
Star Destroyer or Death Squad Trooper/POTF2 Death Star Trooper
Land of Jawas playset (with Escape Pod)/ _____ (insert unproduced product here)
Lobot/POTF2 Lobot
Hoth Rebel Soldier/POTF2 Hoth Rebel Soldier
R5-D4/POTF2 R5-D4
In-box catalogs/crappy POTF2 and later "catalogs" :mad:

Billy_Dee_Binks
01-02-2004, 01:53 PM
Both the Micro Collection and the Micro Machines series were great.
I still prefer Micro Machines over the Micro Collection because MM figurines weren´t made out of metal. Probably one of the reasons for this line´s downfall. :(

LusiferSam
01-02-2004, 08:31 PM
In-box catalogs/crappy POTF2 and later "catalogs" :mad:

The Kenner catalogs rocked! As a kid I'd drool over the few that I had. I still have a two ROTJ catalogs mostly intact and the pages of some ESB. A few years ago I picked up a SW and ESB and its got me itching for more. I can't as the same about Hasbro's.

stillakid
01-02-2004, 09:19 PM
The vintage cardbacks were far superior to any of the garbage ones in the newer lines. From the picture on the front to the checklists on the back, the vintage cards were clearly made for collectors.

I'll bring up the vintage cards. Though in many respects the new cards are better looking, their price completely negates the positives about them. As a kid with little money, being able to go to the local store and put down a buck for 3 packs of Empire Strikes Back cards (with, what, 20 cards a pack or so?) was a great way to re-live the movie (no VCR's back then). So for a pure cost vs. value evaluation, the vintage collector movie cards win hands down.

jjreason
01-03-2004, 09:40 AM
I'll second (or third I guess) the vote on the cardbacks. The old ones are so representative of what I loved about the line back then, I remember daydreaming for hours looking at all that plastic. I think those cards and memories are why I have enjoyed the silver figures so far, made with that retro look to them.

sith_killer_99
01-03-2004, 10:02 AM
I gotta say the vintage Y-Wing, it had an astromech slot! Why loose the removable astromech feature?

Of course, it works the other way for the newer Dagobah X-Wing! I love that they finally included a removable astromech.

Billy_Dee_Binks
01-03-2004, 05:14 PM
I gotta say the vintage Y-Wing, it had an astromech slot! Why loose the removable astromech feature?

Of course, it works the other way for the newer Dagobah X-Wing! I love that they finally included a removable astromech.

Also the vintage one had more accurate front canons. The POTF II featurered shorter ones.

LusiferSam
01-04-2004, 11:58 AM

Why not? The fact that there was a removable astromech droid was just one of the reasons I thought the Y-Wing was so much better than the X-Wing as a kid (I'm talking only about the toys).

JON9000
01-16-2004, 12:00 PM
i'll add general Madine to the list. Madine had gray hair, as I recall. Unless he shows up in the prequels!!

LusiferSam
01-16-2004, 02:45 PM
i'll add general Madine to the list. Madine had gray hair, as I recall. Unless he shows up in the prequels!!

We talking about the figure or the actor? The figure had gray hair. The actor had brown hair. Also the figure's uniform had different colors from the costume. All that a side General Madine was one of my favor ROTJ figures as a kid.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-17-2004, 07:02 AM
The figure had gray hair. ... Also the figure's uniform had different colors from the costume. All that a side General Madine was one of my favor ROTJ figures as a kid.
Unless you believe the "green hair" variation. Bogus, IMO. But yes, his torso was one of the best to add a head to. Before the POTF line, you could make General Lando by simply removing Skiff lando's head and replacing it. Or make Han a true general the same way (well, not by using Lando's head, of course :rolleyes: ). And Madine had two gripping hands, not always common in Kenner figures.

p.s. Could we call him G.Mad, a la Jennifer Lopez? (I sense a thread coming! )

Kidhuman
01-17-2004, 12:44 PM
Madine was one of the better vintage figures. Even though it was a plain figure(not to flashy and all) it was awesome. K.I.S.S. rule applied to that one. HOwever one of my favorite all time vintage figures has and always will be the snowtrooper. For some reason as a kid, I loved this figure. I still have about three of the vintage ones.

aceguide
01-20-2004, 10:32 AM
The vintage line will forever be my favorite. I still have most of my figs. Skipping over the 1995 - EpI era (which I did myself...) I have had a lot of fun comparing the later sculpts to their predecessors. It is remarkable how well the old holds up - and how there was a certain amount of imagination necessary to complete the fig.

From packaging to vehicles to the figures themselves - I vote vintage!

bigbarada
05-23-2007, 10:59 PM
With all the improvements in toymaking technology, you would think that every new figure would be an improvement over what came before, but we've learned that's not the case as we have inferior versions of some characters released after a nearly perfect version (case in point, the 300th Boba Fett followed up by the 2003 Saga Boba).

Soooo, which vintage figures are still better than their modern counterparts? Right off the top of my head I can think of Bib Fortuna and Endor Leia. Both of them represented the pinnacle of Star Wars figures for the time and Hasbro has yet to top either figure (mostly because Hasbro is starting to seem inept at creating soft-goods accessories).

Han Endor and the Emperor's Royal Guard would be other examples of how much better Kenner was at handling cloth accessories.

Any others that you feel still outshine the modern action figures?

El Chuxter
05-24-2007, 12:14 AM
Han Endor and the Emperor's Royal Guard would be other examples of how much better Kenner was at handling cloth accessories.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on the Guard... at least 2/3 disagree with you. The vintage one kicks the crap out of the POTF2 and AOTC/Saga versions, but the ROTS figure is absolutely stellar. The cloth is handled perfectly, the articulation is some of the best seen on any figure, and the suit underneath is EU-accurate as a bonus. And you can get the same figure in blue! The only thing that could improve upon the ROTS Emperor's Guard would be the force pike he seems to be missing.

Qui-Long Gone
05-24-2007, 09:23 AM
I think Vintage Emperor is generally better than most modern (maybe ROTS Emperor is closest).

Vintage Wampa is superior to modern...

I still like Vintage Yoda over most moderns....

Vintage C3POs are nice and up until recently the storm/snow troopers/biker scouts were very well done Vintage.

JON9000
05-24-2007, 09:35 AM
the search feature is your friend

JON9000
05-24-2007, 09:38 AM
I honestly like ANH Leia vintage over any modern version.

Qui-Long Gone
05-24-2007, 03:06 PM
I honestly like ANH Leia vintage over any modern version.

Amen...apparently modern toy making technology cannot solve the Leia delima...

LusiferSam
05-24-2007, 06:48 PM
I think there is a bit of a problem the blanket statement "modern." Hasbro line has changed a lot over the years with all the different lines. Most OTC are clearly better than their POTF2 counter parts. But both are modern lines. I stopped collecting the modern is in '02 so I might be very out of date when it comes to many of my comparisons.

Ok my is pretty but I'll explain has I go.
Poncho Leia: Cloth poncho, removable helmet and the best vintage Leia. The POFT2 version sucked, and I don't remember if there was a OTC or Saga version.
Endor Han: Cloth coat rocks. And is way better then that thick coat on the Saga version.
Carbonite Han: Kenner's figure may not be the best version Han, but the Carbonite block rocks as does the way the figure goes in and shows through.
General Lando: I know there is an OTC versions, but the cloth cape rules.
Admiral Ackbar: I only know of the POTF2 version with it's He-Man looks is just terrible.
Prune Face: Again I only remember the POTF2 version. 'Nuff said.
Royal Guard: I personally didn't think Hasbro would be able to top Kenner's Royal Guard. I don't have the ROTS version, which looks like it be able beat the old Guard :lipsrsealed: (and is one of the few ROTS figures I thought about buying). But given Hasbro's past, the vote goes to Kenner.
IG-88: Every modern IG-88 I've seen is basically the vintage version.
Jawa: The modern Jawas are all terrible.
Bib Fortuna: The Saga version might be better, but all the modern versions I've seen are too fat.
Squid Head: The POTJ version is good, but the version is clearly better.
Klaatu: Has Hasbro even made a new version of Klaatu?
Amanaman: I think one is a tie. The POTJ version looks like it could be a copy of the vintage version.
Yak Face: The POTF2 version looks too cartoonish.
Sy Snootles: The only modern version I know of is based on the SE Sy, so it does count.
Max Rebo: Modern version is a repaint vintage Max.
Droopy McCool: Same
8D8: The POTF2 version looks like crap.
EV-9D9: Movable jaw!
Most of the Ewoks: Teebo is the only Ewok I thought Hasbro done a descent job with. The rest either haven't been remade or remade very badly.

2-1B
05-24-2007, 11:11 PM
Hoth Han is my vote

bigbarada
06-01-2007, 01:04 PM
Sorry, I thought I was being original.:o

Anyways, I'll have to add vintage 4-LOM (now Zuckuss) and the Ugnaught to my list of vintage figures that surpass their modern counterparts.

I really liked the material used for 4-LOM's cloak and I doubt any future soft-goods Zuckuss will match that.

The POTF2 Ugnaughts were just hideous salt-shakers, the vintage version just had so much more appeal.

El Chuxter
06-01-2007, 01:16 PM
Royal Guard: I personally didn't think Hasbro would be able to top Kenner's Royal Guard. I don't have the ROTS version, which looks like it be able beat the old Guard :lipsrsealed: (and is one of the few ROTS figures I thought about buying). But given Hasbro's past, the vote goes to Kenner.

Trust me. The ROTS Royal Guard lived up to and exceeded every expectation.

Amanaman: I think one is a tie. The POTJ version looks like it could be a copy of the vintage version.

No, but they look similar because the original was pretty accurate. The articulation is much better on the new one.

Max Rebo: Modern version is a repaint vintage Max.
Droopy McCool: Same

Again, they look the same, but I don't know of any vintage figures with waist joints.

Most of the Ewoks: Teebo is the only Ewok I thought Hasbro done a descent job with. The rest either haven't been remade or remade very badly.

You have obviously not seen the TSC Chirpa, who is perfect to the smallest detail (in this case, a removable knife).

JON9000
06-01-2007, 01:18 PM
The POTF2 Ugnaughts were just hideous salt-shakers, the vintage version just had so much more appeal.

Really? While I have a soft spot for the vintage uggy, I found the modern ones to be really good because they look pretty darn movie accurate (and they came in a 2-pack).

Bel-Cam Jos
06-03-2007, 09:04 AM
No one has been able to get Hoth Han right in the post-vintage era, and few Death Star/Star Destroyer/Death Squad Troopers were good, either.

Others upon which I still agree:
4-LOM (the "wrong" one, the Gand huntsman, the non-droid)
Hoth Leia
Han trench coat
Poncho Leia

They've been getting a little better lately with some, but most are too scene-specific to me.

indyjones1981
02-15-2010, 02:05 AM
Just curious to know who think some of the vintage sculpts/figures from 1978-1985 are better than todays.

Here are a few I can think of off the top of my head who are better in the Kenner vintage line than from the 1995-present line.

Yoda- none of the other modern day yoda's come close. They all look bad from 1996 to present.

Jawa- everyone loves jawas but the versions from 1996 to current are not as good as the vintage despite 3 jawa versions since 2008. 2 in legacy with the various droids and the clone wars version.

Bespin Guard Black/White will take the vintage over the new bespin guards just released. Yeah the new ones have more articulation but they have problems. Hat doesnt stay on, the black one painted who looks white I have heard other complaints on the forums about that and the alien one too. Just give me the ones we saw in the films the ones from the Kenner vintage line.

Those are my top 4. Might be some others. Feel free to chime in forumites. Thanks. MTFBWY!

bigbarada
02-15-2010, 03:29 AM
I would agree about the Jawa. Until Hasbro can match the quality of Kenner's soft-goods, then no modern Jawa will ever hold a candle to the vintage figure in my eyes.

Most of the Jabba's Palace figures: Bib Fortuna, Ree-Yees, Yak Face, Gamorrean Guard, Weequay, Squidhead, the Rebo Band and Jabba himself are better than their modern counterparts.

I would also pick the Emperor's Royal Guards, I haven't liked a single modern version of this figure.

pbarnard
02-15-2010, 10:22 AM
The vintage Ugnaught holds up pretty well. The original Jabba the Hutt on some people's radar is better than the Beast, Glob, or even Ultra/Deluxe versions.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-15-2010, 11:27 AM
I'll see if I can find the older thread on this topic and merge threads. But in the meantime...

The Emperor,
TIE Fighter Pilot, and
Lando Calrissian: General Outfit

are much better than any post-'95 versions, to me.

indyjones1981
02-16-2010, 12:25 AM
I'll see if I can find the older thread on this topic and merge threads. But in the meantime...

The Emperor,
TIE Fighter Pilot, and
Lando Calrissian: General Outfit

are much better than any post-'95 versions, to me.

Hi bigbarada,

Yes I forgot about the Emperor’s Royal Guard you are right on that one. I agree that none of the modern ones are as good as the vintage one. Also the vintage Jabba too. Perhaps we will get the ultimate Jabba later this year, since Hasbro said he is in the works and maybe he finally will be worthy as the vintage one. We should be getting a new Gamorrean Guard too I think this year maybe it will be just as good as the vintage one. You mentioned some good figures that are worthy for the debate. Thanks.
Can you think of any others?

Hi Bel-Cam Jos
Good choices too. Emperor is a good one better vintage than any from 1995 on and same with Lando General also. Maybe for the 30th anniversary of ROTJ we will get a Lando General in the Vintage collection line.
Well if they can do a 30th anniversary Boba Fett with firing rocket in vintage style as a mail away and the Toy R US Classic 4 pack from 1995 maybe they should do some of the figures mentioned above in the vintage style format. Doubt Hasbro would but they should!!

El Chuxter
02-16-2010, 12:48 AM
I think the ROTS Imperial Guard, while not perfect, is a fine figure. I also have to disagree that one Emperor figure from 1999 is much better than any before or since, including vintage. Only thing is, it wasn't actually called "Emperor Palpatine"; I'm talking about the TPM Darth Sidious figure. The Evolutions Sidious is probably the next best one.

bigbarada
02-16-2010, 11:19 AM
I think the ROTS Imperial Guard, while not perfect, is a fine figure.

The idiotic EU armor under that figure instantly disqualified it as a "Emperor's Royal Guard" in my mind.

El Chuxter
02-16-2010, 12:03 PM
But if you don't like it, don't take off the robes. :)

EU or not, I find armor that resembles what Stormtroopers wear to make a lot more sense than the medieval tunic thing the vintage one had.

Neuroleptic
02-16-2010, 01:13 PM
1986 POTF pop up lightsaber R2-D2 is by far better than the one we got in the late 90s. They have yet to do this figure justice in the modern line!

Old Fossil
02-16-2010, 08:36 PM
Well, the vintage Power Droid has a lot more character and greater play value than its modern counterpart.

Vintage 8D8 is much sturdier than the POTF2 release.

Vintage Nien Nunb just seems superior to the POTF2 one. Can't quite put my finger on why.

indyjones1981
02-16-2010, 08:48 PM
I think the ROTS Imperial Guard, while not perfect, is a fine figure. I also have to disagree that one Emperor figure from 1999 is much better than any before or since, including vintage. Only thing is, it wasn't actually called "Emperor Palpatine"; I'm talking about the TPM Darth Sidious figure. The Evolutions Sidious is probably the next best one.

El Chuxter

Good points on the ROTS Imperial Guard and Darth Sidious but I am only talking about figures from the original trilogy that were made by Kenner and that have been remade in the modern line from 1995-present. I was not including figures from episode 1-3. Sorry I should have been more specific when I posted this.