PDA

View Full Version : R-3po

InsaneJediGirl
01-02-2004, 08:46 AM
Paint-4/5 : The paint on my figure is applied nicely,an overall maroon with darker spots meant to highlight 'wear' I believe.At the bottom of his feet,Hasbro added some white flecks of paint for snow.The eyes have metallic paint for a little 'glow' as well.

Articulation-3/5 : R-3PO has five points of articulation,just the basics of head,arms,and legs.I would like to have seen elbow or waist articulation however.The only problem with adding Elbow articulation would be the joint mechanism detail.

Acessories 2.5/5-He just has a stand,that says 'Star Wars'.In my opinion,R-3PO should have been packed with a Hoth base.Hasbro could have even repainted a Coleman Trebor stand white and called it snow.

Overall-B+ : I really like the figure,but I doubt anyone behind hardcore will.Besides the base problem,R-3PO is a nice addition to the collection :)

JEDIpartner
01-02-2004, 09:13 AM
I saw this one at Target and am waiting for my KEBco shipment. It's kinda funny that the particular pic of R-3P0 on the package shows a fair amount of silver on the body. *shrug* I dunno... maybe I'll take out the old paint bottle for this one but it does look cool! :cool:

TheDarthVader
01-02-2004, 11:10 PM
I am not trying to be picky or politically correct but Hasbro could not use the Coleman Trebor base because it has a downed battle droid torso on it. I agree that a Hoth snow base would have been much better. But then again, how many times did that droid walk in the snow? I am not sure but he sure does have some light white paint splatter on his legs. I give this figure a B+ as well and a 3.8 on a 5 scale. Nice sculpt and paint...great figure!!!

InsaneJediGirl
01-02-2004, 11:33 PM
TheDarthVader,I had forgot about the battle droid.Must be thinking of some other figure with the sand and without a droid or someother thing attached.

Old Fossil
01-03-2004, 02:19 AM
Excellent review, IJG. I would go further with my own rating of this figure and give it a solid A, mainly for the marvellous sculpt and the detailed paint job. If they used that mold for a new C-3PO with a 'realistic metalized body,' it would surpass the old POFT2 C-3PO w/Coin!

JediTricks
01-03-2004, 03:39 AM
It doesn't get much more background than this character, but you can't have enough droids either. R-3PO is another protocol droid seen in the background of the Hoth Echo Base command center. Let's take a look, shall we?

Packaging: 3/5
I gave the Luke Hoth figure's packaging a 3.5 while R-3PO here is getting only a 3 even though it's the same packaging. Why? First off, the 2 carded photos are not actually of R-3PO at all, they're of an Ep I protocol droid named TC-6 that's been photoshopped into a Hoth scene. TC-6 has a silver neck and silver trim at the seams while R-3PO doesn't.

The other problem is that on the back of the card are 2 photos of the R-3PO figure, one from the front and the other from a slight angle... with absolutely nothing else going on. Why not show the figure set up with Ultra Rieekan instead of showing all that blank space? At least there are no twisties or rubber bands or tape.

Sculpting: 4/5
R-3PO has a very nice design, and is not just the Saga Deluxe C-3PO sculpt, some elements are tweaked like the chest while others are totally new like the arms. This is a good protocol droid sculpt that is very similar to other recent protocol droids, although my opinion is that the head is a little too narrow. There is the issue of a small circle on the right chest that carries over from the Deluxe figure that I don't think it actually exists on R-3PO, but it's pretty minor.

R-3PO is not designed to have removable limbs unlike the Deluxe and Ultra C-3PO, but you can do a Chewie and yank his arms from their sockets without destroying the figure, they have a fat, flared peg at the end. The arms are similar to the Deluxe ones, but nicer and more refined, such as at the shoulders where they line up perfectly with the torso, and also the sculpted elbow actuators which stick out and help distinguish this figure from the others.

Pose: 3.5/5
Friends, I don't really know what Hasbro was thinking with this pose, but I am far from in love with it. Since it has the same leg pose as you-know-who (dlx C-3PO for those in the cheap seats), the left foot is bent slightly down while the right is not giving a slight walking pose. However, either because of a rest in the slow boat from China in that bubble tray or from intentional redesign, this figure suffers from his feet being slightly bent making it hard to stand him up on his own.

The other thing I'm not thrilled about are the arm poses having the left one in front of the figure and the right one out away from the body. Neither one is bad by itself (although the left one is sorta limiting) but they don't really go together that well for me. Luckily, that weird "tilted" posture on that deluxe C-3PO is non-existant here.

Paint: 4.5/5
There's not much paint to do here, R-3PO is cast in dark maroon plastic just like it should be; but Hasbro gave it a nice oily paint wash that presents an appropriate worn look without going overboard. The eyes are painted a dull metallic copper color which looks very nice on mine, but I've seen another that was a little sloppy so it doesn't hurt to be picky. The outside arm actuators are painted silver, the inside ones painted silver only at the bottom caps, here there is slight imperfection but barely noticable.

The most paint on the figure is the black midsection with red, white, and blue wires; ok, there's also a light blue in the mix but still an odd combination to see on a SW droid, looks a bit like 4th of July streamers for wiring. Oh, and as pointed out by jedibear, there's a very faint white overspray on the lower legs to simulate snow, so faint that even on my initial inspection I completely missed it both on the figure and more pronounced on the cardback's photo of the prototype figure.

Articulation: 3/5
All aboard the nothing-special express! Standard neck, shoulders, and hips - no waist at all. We saw this much articulation 25 years ago, certainly they could have added an upper-bicep cut-joint or swivel, maybe some wrists or knee or ankles... but no.

Actually, the hips only have about 15 degrees of motion total. I know that it was possible for Anthony Daniels to shuffle around this way, but this is an action figure after all. You can force the hips into sitting position, but this can end up damaging the legs a little.

Accessories: 1/5
If not for that little generic figure stand, this would be the big zilcho. The stand is nothing to write home about either, it's cast in metallic gray plastic, has some Star Warsy shape sculpted into it along with the SW logo complete with a registered trademark symbol taking up a quarter of the face, a single foot peg that is done hexagonally to match the foot holes, and has a connector at the left and top, and corresponding notches cut out on the right and 3 on the bottom.

I'm not thrilled with these connectors, although good in theory, when connecting multiple stands I've found that the slight taper of the stands causes them to connect at an angle so that one stands flat while the other tips up in the air.

Personally, I would have been a lot happier with a small display similar to the one that comes with Ultra General Rieekan.

Overall Grade: B
Don't get me wrong, this is a keen little figure, but it's nothing special either. It's solid work that doesn't go above and beyond the norm; it's neither exciting and nor terribly versatile, but it is a nice little average figure.

jedibear
01-03-2004, 10:01 PM
...and I like this one but some of JediTrick's points are well-taken.

I'm amused to see that someone else notices Hasbro's graphics dept sometimes fudges a little badly on some of the "photos" on the cards...this one is pretty sloppy.
I also think it would have been more impressive to picture R-3PO with the Reeiken figure & screen...just say "sold seperately"...it sure looks good showing the Luke figure with the Wampa on the back of his card.
My figure has next to no white "snow" flecks on his feet....but that's okay.

Yeah...these are just minor little niggles though...I'd still like to see Hasbro keep those quick background droids coming....

JediTricks
01-05-2004, 12:00 AM
I also think it would have been more impressive to picture R-3PO with the Reeiken figure & screen...just say "sold seperately"...it sure looks good showing the Luke figure with the Wampa on the back of his card.Yeah, that's exactly what I had in mind. There's no reason that Hasbro had to advertise how basic this set really is the way they did, if they're not going to throw in an extra accessory, at least make the picture on the back not so dull. This is far from the only Saga v2 figure that has this problem, the Imperial Dignitary comes to mind, but since that figure is not a repaint (tho there's already a repaint of him on shelves :p), at least it has something to show off. But R-3PO is in a wave that is supposed to include Ultra Rieekan anyway, why not show off the goods interacting - it's called a "co-sell" folks at Hasbro, you remember that, it was the main reason for having so many GI Joe:RAH vehicles, to sell more figures.

Plus, why not really? Rieekan and his display would probably look real slick alongside R-3PO here, it'd be better than having a picture from the front and another from a slightly different angle. :crazed:

My figure has next to no white "snow" flecks on his feet....but that's okay.Until you mentioned that here, I didn't even know it existed. Since I was adding a sentence about the tilt of the torso being corrected anyway, I added a reference to the snow paint in the review as well.

Jayspawn
01-05-2004, 12:04 AM
The more droids we get the better. I love em!

Bring it on Hasbro!!!

plasticfetish
01-09-2004, 04:12 AM
Finaly found a second R-3PO so that I could have one to open. (Thought I was gonna have a repeat of the TC-14 or K-3PO problem where I only see them once.) Good stuff! My only complaint is pretty much what JT mentioned about bent legs.

...this figure suffers from his feet being slightly bent making it hard to stand him up on his own.
That, and it seems that the holes in his feet wont fit a regular "disk" stand. Kind of a pain because I'm not too into the provided stand. But no big deal, it can lean against a Tauntaun for stability.

Hellboy
01-23-2004, 09:02 PM
R-3PO is for the most part exactly what I thought it was going to be and I'm always happy to add another droid to my collection. I really like the paint application on him even if it is somewhat simplistic and the flecks of snow on his lower legs was a nice subtle touch. Like others have stated I say the more droids the better and its always nice to see a protocol droid produced that isn't C-3PO.
Grade: A-

dr_evazan22
01-24-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by IJG
Articulation-3/5 : R-3PO has five points of articulation,just the basics of head,arms,and legs.I would like to have seen elbow or waist articulation however.The only problem with adding Elbow articulation would be the joint mechanism detail.

They could've put a cut in the arm right above the fig's elbow 'actuators' to give more articulation. And your right about the wrists too.

Good erview, I like this fig a lot, as I do most droids.

Kidhuman
01-25-2004, 06:53 PM
I think its a nice looking figure. Good paint job, nice sculpt. Need more protocol droids, or droids in general like this one.

vulcantouch
01-26-2004, 12:38 PM
jt: "TC-6 that's been photoshopped"
-actually i don't mind this, cuz it's inspired me to apply tc's trim with as silver pen- when i open r-3, that is- and the inaccurate foto'll give me a good guide for same :) tc6, r3po; to-May-to, to-Mah-to :)

"looks a bit like 4th of July streamers"
-ok by me, cuz i ain't seen this color combo on other protocol waists, so the more novelty the better :)

"stand is nothing to write home about. . . would have been a lot happier with a small display similar to the one that comes with Ultra General Rieekan"
-not a bad idear; while stand is lame-o, that rieekan console's kinda cool- in fact i may try to trade (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showpost.php?p=302011&postcount=17) for one; so, anyone want my r3po stand? :p
vt