PDA

View Full Version : New Bo'shek Figure Pictures!

Jargo
12-05-2001, 09:46 AM
hasbro have posted pictures of the upcoming BO'SHEK figure here:

http://starwars.hasbro.com/bountyhunter/repnewscontent.cfm?id=298

Go check it out.....

I'm not terribly impressed with the gooney face but the figure sure looks sweet! :D

oldfossil
12-05-2001, 09:52 AM
Good Gravy! This figure is too cool!

Hail to the Emperor! Thanks, Jargo!

Fulit
12-05-2001, 09:59 AM
Good sculpt, it actually looks like him. What must it be like to be that actor who played BoShek and not get an action figure of yourself until like 25 years later?

JEDIpartner
12-05-2001, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
I'm not terribly impressed with the gooney face but the figure sure looks sweet! :D

Originally posted by Fulit
Good sculpt, it actually looks like him.

I wonder how it feels for you to tell this poor prat that the figure looks just like him and that he's "gooney" looking?? :p

I think they did a really nice job on him. I have to admit that it really does look quite like the actor who portrayed him 25 years ago. He looks VERY stereotypically British... maybe that's what it is.

bigbarada
12-05-2001, 10:24 AM
Very cool!!! I like the face, great likeness!

Now, all that's left is Teebo, R4 and Dengar.

Wolfwood319
12-05-2001, 10:27 AM
I especially like the helmet. It would have been a neat figure without it, but with the helmet makes it way cooler. I'll probably get a few, have some with their helmet on. and toss 'em in the cantina diorama.

Are we supposed to get a Dengar with this last wave? I thought it was just Bo, Teebo, and R4.

SirSteve
12-05-2001, 10:38 AM
This was a surprise! I think the sculpt is really good! Thanks Jargo for the news report. It saved me some time...

:)

bigbarada
12-05-2001, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
I especially like the helmet. It would have been a neat figure without it, but with the helmet makes it way cooler. I'll probably get a few, have some with their helmet on. and toss 'em in the cantina diorama.

Are we supposed to get a Dengar with this last wave? I thought it was just Bo, Teebo, and R4.

I've heard that an ESB version of Dengar (with his backpack) is on the way. Hopefully this is true.

OC47150
12-05-2001, 10:43 AM
I think the face is excellent. Just like the actor who played him.

Starfig873
12-05-2001, 11:12 AM
I'm really impressed with this figure! Good to see that the blaster holster is there too. Heh heh. Wonder what his COMMtech lines would have been? :p ;)

Beast
12-05-2001, 11:29 AM
Wow, Hasbro manages to impress again. This figure is sweet, sculpting is dead on, and for a basic pilot type uniform, they really did a good job of making it not look boring. The facial sculpt is pretty dead-on, which is nice to see in a minor charecter.

The helmet is a great addition, and as usual the holster is definatly a great feature. To bad he doesnt come with a glass like Snaggletooth, I really want more glasses without having to buy 20 Snaggie's.

Only thing that seems off is the color of the uniform, In the movie it looks like it's dark green. Yet the figure is really dark, looks like it's black. It's could be another case of the actual prop being used for the color match, same that was done for Han Hoth's coat. It's amazing how film camera's and lighting can alter the color of somthing.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Wolfwood319
12-05-2001, 11:31 AM
Another thing I like, in the blurb from Hasbro, they say at the end that he's a great addition to your cantina dioramas.

This sounds a lot like a statement directed towards collectors, which is possibly the first time I've ever heard them dictate in that sense.

It just goes to show though, if it wasn't a movie year next year, imagine what they could have released under the POTJ line.

One thing though, I wished/hope that the figure also comes with a glass, like Zutton. That was a cool addition, and I hope that future released cantina patrons also come with glasses as well.

Fulit
12-05-2001, 01:30 PM
Yep, I said it once and I'll say it again, if Hasbro wants us to fit all these Cantina patrons into our Cantina diorama, they're gonna have to put a new wing on it or something, lest a riot break out. You can't have that many drunken different species in such a tiny space. I move for a new larger Cantina, constructed out of plastic and not cardboard. Would anyone like to second the motion?

OC47150
12-05-2001, 01:39 PM
I second! Call for vote!

AmanaMatt
12-05-2001, 01:41 PM
well, it looks like the POTJ line may go out with a bang; I was not overly anticipating Bo Shek, but after these pics, hook me up!

A very nice sculpt. The removable helmet and workable holster gives it an 'A' in my book; now for those who want the Bossk-like patron with helmet, this is the fig to use for that custom...no more Johnny Quest helmets for us!

AmanaMatt
12-05-2001, 01:42 PM
to bigbarada:

ESB Dengar is on his way?...that's news to me and great news if Hasbro goes thru with it.

snakeplkn
12-05-2001, 01:45 PM
I am impressed. I definitely will be getting a couple of BoSheks, maybe even put one in a Rebel pilot display. The only complaint I see is that BoShek looks somewhat odd without gloves with his helmet on. His flesh hands stick out. Besides that, I'll be looking forward to seeing him released.

Snake Plissken
"A little human compassion"

Tycho
12-05-2001, 01:45 PM
I'd vote for a plastic cantina playset (larger than the cardboard one).

Meanwhile, if Bo Shek's uniform there is black, versus a real dark green, and I think it's more likely our video and movie lighting played tricks on us than Hasbro's PICTURE of the figure,

...then a lot of people might use the body as a base for a Baron Fel custom. Add the Corellian blood stripes to the uniform, a new head, and a TIE Pilot helmet? What do you think?

By the way, I support a Dengar resculpt, also. But let's not get into all 6 Bounty Hunters. The rest are fine. Fett has 4, and IG-88 has 2. Zuckuss is a great figure, and what else can you do with 4-LOM? They're both fine. Bossk is also an awesome, highly accurate figure. They could make him taller, but I wouldn't chase that piece if that was it...

Make that Dengar with a backpack, Hasbro. And don't screw the 12" one up either!

OC47150
12-05-2001, 01:49 PM
I still have my original cantina playset. Talk about small! More than five figures and the playset is packed!!

Beast
12-05-2001, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
Meanwhile, if Bo Shek's uniform there is black, versus a real dark green, and I think it's more likely our video and movie lighting played tricks on us than Hasbro's PICTURE of the figure

I agree, thats probably what happened. Movie camera's and lighting really can massivly alter what an object looks like, as I said a lil while ago, in regards to Han Solo's Hoth Jacket. The actual coat prop is a brown color, but in the movies it appears blue. Same with Luke's Bespin fatigues, they are actually a khaki color, like shown on the 12" collector figure. But in the movie they appear tan.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediCole
12-05-2001, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
Another thing I like, in the blurb from Hasbro, they say at the end that he's a great addition to your cantina dioramas.

This sounds a lot like a statement directed towards collectors, which is possibly the first time I've ever heard them dictate in that sense.

It just goes to show though, if it wasn't a movie year next year, imagine what they could have released under the POTJ line.

One thing though, I wished/hope that the figure also comes with a glass, like Zutton. That was a cool addition, and I hope that future released cantina patrons also come with glasses as well.

It looks like someone wasn't paying attention to the THREE Fan's Choice Polls presented by Hasbro, two of which have already borne fruit. If anything could be pointed to as the definative "Hasbro has finally recognized the adult collector market vs. thier antiquated 'Toys are just for kids' company line" statement, the Fan's Choice Polls would be it! Also, check out the recent advertizing on the backs of magazines like Toy Fare. A small smattering of figures showcased with clever tag lines ("You wanted to see me?" for Elorrs Maddak, "X-Wing Pilots come in extra-large" for Jek Porkins, and I doubt the censor software would allow me to repeat the wonderful one for Mas Ameeda!) and brief ad copy. And most importantly (and if you look at the bulk of toy advertizing you will understand why), not a single image of a child playing with the figures. Also, in a statement, I believe on the Hasbro website, or perhaps in an interview, a Hasbro spokesperson clearly recognized the financial importance of the adult collector to the life and success of the Star Wars brand at Hasbro.

I do agree about the need for a glass as an accessory for Mr. Shek. Hopefully he will have one as an unannounced accessory. Or perhaps there will be a Cantina patron or two who will come with more than one glass. I hope that future figures come with drinking vessels that illustrate the diversity of plastic drinkware that Wuhur used serve up his assorted brews.

12-05-2001, 02:48 PM
Just being devils advocate here, but I'm wondering, even those of you who are Ewok haters - don't you think there seems to be a conspicous absence of Ewoks? Hmmm? I mean, Pote Snitkin, and no Teebo? Boshek and no Cheif Chirpa? What gives? Come on, give the furry little beasts a chance...

Jargo
12-05-2001, 03:38 PM
I posted this image a while back but can't remember if it was in the new or old forums. Anyway for anyone doubting the accuracy of the sculpt here's a comparison of the figure against the film still and a continuity shot.

OC47150
12-05-2001, 03:43 PM
Good comparison, I think.

Wolfwood319
12-05-2001, 06:37 PM
Dead on! Incredible likeness, in my opinion.

As for the ewoks, yes there has been an absence of ewoks. Primarily because of us, the collectors. When they have polls, or in the dear Hasbro section, we're constantly asking for more cantina patrons, or figures of characters that haven't been made into figures before, like Yarna. There really isn't much of a noticable demand for ewoks. And as Hasbro says, its making toys for the collectors now.

Tycho
12-05-2001, 09:10 PM
I am an adult collector (at least in my opinion I'm all grown-up now), and I DO want more Ewoks.

Teebo (played by Jack Purvis) is being released, and hopefully he'll be worth the wait.

Paploo (played by Kenny "R2" Baker) is not carded though, and likely not up to my expectations, though I'm waiting for a loose comparison shot (with the hoods off -if Paploo's is even removeable) - I'm waiting for a comparison picture against the POTF2's other Ewoks (hoods off) to see if we're getting a new sculpt. Otherwise, I hate to say it, but a Paploo resculpt is already on my wish list.

Meanwhile, how many more Ewoks do I want to see? Definitely 6 more: the vintage they have yet to modernize (Chief Chirpa, Warok, Lumat, Romba) and maybe a mother with Wokling, and a really cool warrior Ewok, maybe the one with the 'dark' looking headpiece you can see guarding Leia before Han, Chewie, and Luke are released (from the Ewoks who were holding them prisoner and not Hasbro, I mean).

There are at LEAST 6 figures from Jabba's Palace and the Cantina each that I want to see. Off the top of my head:

J'Quille, a Elomin, Herme Odel, Seargeant Dolyyn (tank head), Klaatu (modernizing the first vintage), Bo-Bo (the dog or whatever his name is), the droid, etc.

Senni and Brea Tonnika, the Gotal, Bom Vimdim, the Preying Mantis, the Givin (Scream Mask), the spacesuit dudes, Dice Ebegon (the Lamproid snake), a Saurin - and I'm going way past 6 on this example list...(and could continue, too).

But my point is, we average 30 figures a year within a standard deviation of +/- 5. Isn't there room for (per year)

2 Ewoks
2 Jabba Goons
3 Cantina Aliens
1.5 Jedi Council Members
2 astromech droid types (color / style variations - there's up to 15 I want)

=10 figures a year, the license good for at least 5 more years

and then at least 20 characters per year from other categories including main characters, notable secondary characters (like Bail Organa or other Senators), your occasional pod racer, etc., and army builders (which may warrant a different distribution - though uh, Bo Shek was supposed to be our topic here anyway...)

Anyway, we'll run out of some character categories like Ewoks (6 more good, 10 we don't need), Jedi Council Members (at least from E1 will only last 2 years, or they could spread them out - but I'd rather get them now, than wait), and so on.

But anyway, Bo Shek prompted this turn of the discussion to marketing strategy. What do you think?

Sean the Hutt
12-05-2001, 09:39 PM
Way too cool, lets hope they are as plentiful as Porkins! Yes to the new Cantina, let the Star Wars parade begin... it's all Gravy for the next few years!

Wolfwood319
12-05-2001, 11:04 PM
I think they should bring back cinema scenes, or at least some form of multi-pack. I was hoping for an Ewok cinema scene from the get go, and considering how hasbro/kenner used them to produce previously vintage carded figs (skiff guards) I thought it would be a nice way to get the figs out, but not have to go through the trouble of seperate cards.

I also think this would be a great way to get more jabba's palace/cantina patrons. Or even a podracer or senator multi-pack.

Jayspawn
12-06-2001, 01:50 AM
Wohoo! I can't wait for this guy to come out!

JediTricks
12-06-2001, 05:00 AM
It looks like a pretty cool figure, good likeness, but there's gonna be virtually NO hope for that right hand. If the figure isn't holding the helmet, it looks like someone just busted his wrist or he's getting ready to move a very tall couch. Dunno how they'd fix this though, maybe articulate the hand like with a pivot joint or something. But since the figure DOES have the helmet, I don't mind it as much. I wish Luke X-wing had this type of hand to hold his helmet.

Lobito
12-10-2001, 02:47 PM
Bo-shek...great sculpt, i cant wait to place him in the cantina, now lets hope that the figure isnt modified at the last minute.:D

jedi master sal
12-10-2001, 02:50 PM
I can't wait so I will have another pilot to add to me pilot's briefing diorama. I plan on buying a few to customize. Might even make a BO SHREK. haha

evenflow
12-11-2001, 12:44 PM
Very nice work on him, I can't wait to see the pics of Teebo. With his helmet on, he could make that great Cantina guy custom.

TeeEye7
12-12-2001, 06:06 AM
Best likeness of any SW actor rendered into plastic ( even down to the '77 sideburns and all! ** Thank you.....thank you very much!**).

Too bad the likenesses of the core figs aren't as accurate. X-Wing Luke is a prime example that they still can't get it right....

mylow thehutt
12-12-2001, 06:29 AM
:D Love the sculp it's got great detaile,and the helmet just swtens the deal.