PDA

View Full Version : IPOD and Car Stereos

stillakid
01-05-2004, 04:53 PM
I used to love playing my IPOD in my old truck. It was easy enough to play through the cassette adaptor. Problem is, I had to buy a new truck and it came with a standard 6 CD changer. What that means is A) no cassette adaptor, and B) no way to run cables into or out of the factory equipment. I've tried a couple of those FM Transmitter things, including the TransPod, but they pretty much suck. Weak signal and they drift like crazy.

Does anyone else have this problem? Anyway around it? I really don't want to replace the factory stereo just for the benefit of the IPOD. There must be another way...

Darth Jax
01-08-2004, 10:22 PM
sorry stilla, don't know of a way around it. luckily i've got stereo and tape in my vehicle so haven't run into that problem. nothing makes a long road trip easier than having great tunes along. have a friend thats experienced the same thing, no tape player and FM adapter didn't work at an acceptable level. if he ever comes up with another solution will let you know.

Exhaust Port
01-12-2005, 11:05 AM
For what it's worth a number of car stereo manufacturers announced in the last week or so that they'll be releasing stereo's with iPod interfaces. I'm not sure on the price of the new stereo's (I believe they start coming out in a few months) but if you're willing to spend few hundred $$ you get one of these. From what I read briefly these stereos will provide an unmatched iPod experience since they are built to pull their songs from the iPod rather than just being an amplifier. The actual stereo is the interface for the iPod, not the iPod itself.

stillakid
01-12-2005, 11:47 AM
For what it's worth a number of car stereo manufacturers announced in the last week or so that they'll be releasing stereo's with iPod interfaces. I'm not sure on the price of the new stereo's (I believe they start coming out in a few months) but if you're willing to spend few hundred $$ you get one of these. From what I read briefly these stereos will provide an unmatched iPod experience since they are built to pull their songs from the iPod rather than just being an amplifier. The actual stereo is the interface for the iPod, not the iPod itself.

I have the first version of the IPOD still. I got my wife the IPOD Mini for Xmas. Will the interfaces only work with the new style cables or is it any firewire?

El Chuxter
01-12-2005, 11:54 AM
My wife's been after me to get an iPod for a while (I have about 2-3,000 CDs :eek: and she wants to cut down on the space). Yesterday, she had to drive several students at her school to meet with the site for next year's prom and had her first experience with a student's iPod transmitter. She said it worked quite well, so I'll check and see if I can find out the model in case it works better than the one you've tried.

Exhaust Port
01-12-2005, 11:55 AM
That I'm not sure of. I did a quick search on iPod car stereo's and it pulls up a bunch of the articles reporting the announcements. You might find one that outlines some of the specifics if you look.

stillakid
01-12-2005, 12:10 PM
My wife's been after me to get an iPod for a while (I have about 2-3,000 CDs :eek: and she wants to cut down on the space). Yesterday, she had to drive several students at her school to meet with the site for next year's prom and had her first experience with a student's iPod transmitter. She said it worked quite well, so I'll check and see if I can find out the model in case it works better than the one you've tried.

As I understand it, the new transmitters only work with the newest IPODs. The old style (like mine) have the firewire connection on top. The newer IPODS have all the connections on the bottom, with a different connector.

JON9000
01-12-2005, 10:42 PM
El Chux, you might lose your I-pod or have to reformat. Always keep the discs!

I haven't heard of an RF tuner that works well yet.

Hellboy
01-15-2005, 01:20 AM
I use a Griffin iTrip when listening to my iPod through a car stereo. It does what its supposed to do and sounds as good as I'd expect from an FM transmitter. From what I've read though the quality of all FM transmitters varies dramatically depending on the area you live in so this option won't work for everyone. I have heard of car stereo installation places hardwiring a connection to your stereo for about a hundred bucks but I'm not to sure how well it works. I might get this done in my car at some point but I'll still use the FM transmitter when I want to play my iPod on someone elses stereo.

LusiferSam
01-15-2005, 01:01 PM
I've had great luck using an FM transmitter. The type I have is a Monster Cable iCarPlay Wireless. Its a charger and transmitter in one, most other types of FM transmitter are only transmitters. Has 10 preset stations, 88.1 to 89.5. It works great for me. Its always been crystal clear (or at lest a as good as the local radio stations) and easy to use. The clarity might have more to do with where I live (small population and only one radio station even rear that range). The biggest down side that it works only in a car. And it needs a Dock Connector to work.

stillakid
01-15-2005, 01:08 PM
I've had great luck using an FM transmitter. The type I have is a Monster Cable iCarPlay Wireless. Its a charger and transmitter in one, most other types of FM transmitter are only transmitters. Has 10 preset stations, 88.1 to 89.5. It works great for me. Its always been crystal clear (or at lest a as good as the local radio stations) and easy to use. The clarity might have more to do with where I live (small population and only one radio station even rear that range). The biggest down side that it works only in a car. And it needs a Dock Connector to work.

Yeah, the problem in Los Angeles is that there's a freakin' radio station sandwiched into every conceivable bandwidth. Every transmitter I've tried is sitting right next to the antenna and still gets blown away by radio. Somebody needs to start building illegal high powered transmitters to get around this problem. Oops, did I say that out loud? :sur:

gsr-jedi
02-01-2005, 10:58 PM
This is why I don't have an iPod. I mostly listen to music in the car, only time I take it with me is on a trip (such as on the plane to C3), so for me it's not just the cost of the iPod, but also a new stereo to use it in the car. It's just too much money and hassle.