PDA

View Full Version : Jedi Robes, or are they?

B'Omarr Monkey
01-05-2004, 10:36 PM
My response to the thread about Owen and C-3PO reminded me of a conundrum I've always wondered about concerning the Jedi robes. The Jedi robes in the prequels are clearly based on what Ben Kenobi was wearing in ANH, but have you ever noticed how many other characters on Tatooine are also wearing what appear to be Jedi robes, or at least the inner robes?

My feeling is that either Kenobi had a really succesful yard sale on Tatooine, or Lucas got lazy with continuity (wouldn't that be a surprise).

If Obi-Wan was trying to exist in a sort of self-induced witness protection program type of exile, with the Empire everywhere, would he really be wearing his Jedi robes out in public?

This is twenty years after episode III, so either Ben is also a wiz with the needle and thread repairing those old robes (maybe this is a Jedi skill like building a lightsaber) or those aren't Jedi robes at all, but simply what the natives wear as protective gear, which makes more sense since so many residents seem to be wearing similar styled clothing.

I'm sure that half the population of the Cantina would be giving Ben a wide berth, or keeping a close eye on him if those were Jedi robes, even before he whipped out the old lightsaber (why did he do that either vs a little telekinetic shove, or mind-trick to break up the conflict) and completely blew his cover.

stillakid
01-05-2004, 10:51 PM
I've often thought about this as well. I was pretty surprised (and dismayed) to see the Jedi prancing about Episode I in what I had always figured to be Ben's makeshift desert-wear. I didn't have anything in particular in mind for the Jedi of lore to be wearing, but going with the monk-thing was definitely not it.

I think that you're right...George once again proved his laziness and went with the easiest path here. The Jedi in the Prequels should have been wearing anything else that wasn't a copy of Old Ben's wardrobe in the OT.

sith_killer_99
01-05-2004, 11:07 PM
The novels sorta cover this, Jedi are not required to wear any specific type of clothing, though many do choose to wear robes, note, Anakin wears dark leather in EPII. The novel goes a little further and says that the senior Jedi don't particularly care for his choice of garments. Aayla Secura wears spandex for crying out loud. And Barriss and Luminara wear much different types of robes.

I think many Jedi chose to wear those type of robes because they allow for free movement, I believe the novel touches on this briefly as well.

As for ANH, Ben's robes are meant to be well worn and some of the ANH Ben figures robes even show wear and tear. Also worth noteing is Yoda's well worn robes in ESB/ROTJ. They are probably not meant to be the same robes worn in EPI and EPII, but still meant to show signs of age.

Jedi are also known for wearing clothing that allows them to blend in easily and move about without drawing attention, they like to operate covertly, not draw attention to themselves. More along the way Qui-Gon acts in EP1 on Tatooine or the way Anakin dresses down in EPII while traveling with Padme'.

Many of the novels touch on this as well.

I wouldn't really read too much in to it.

2-1B
01-06-2004, 02:16 AM
Yoda wore a similar getup as did Anakin's ghost.

stillakid
01-06-2004, 11:21 AM
Yoda wore a similar getup as did Anakin's ghost.

True, sort of. There isn't much that Yoda could wear, but as far as he goes, he was hiding out like Obi Wan. It's not like he was going to betray his location by getting mail-order from Banana Republic. He wore "rags" because he had to. Probably the same with Obi.

But yeah, I forgot about Spirit Anakin. Well, on one hand, you could make the argument that the Prequels are right since "redeemed" Anakin is wearing similar robes to Old Ben. However, this visual incarnation of an older Anakin never truly existed as a Jedi in these kinds of robes while he was living. Presumably, sometime in his early to mid-twenties, Anakin Skywalker gets locked up inside a black biker uniform and has to hide behind a Japanese warrior mask. So, when it comes down to it, that shot at the end of ROTJ makes absolutely NO sense at all in the context of anything. I'm not sure that there is a good solution to what Old Anakin should be wearing as a redeemed spirit. My idea would be to have a younger "Hayden" spirit or a really young "Jake" spirit pop into view as that was the last time Anakin was a good person.

2-1B
01-06-2004, 11:57 AM
Sure it makes sense, his spirit simply appeared in a traditional outfit. He wasn't going to appear naked. His head appears older and with hair that he did not have when the helmet came off.
So if he is going to appear looking physically "normal", it makes sense that he would appear in the robes as well.

Luke showed up in Jabba's palace wearing a traditional cloak just like in TPM. The way he pulls his hood off is repeated in the prequels with Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon.

The 'Xir
01-06-2004, 12:57 PM
Actually, Anakin is still a "good person", and we have yet to see what garb he will wear in EpIII! The last time Anakin is a "good person" will be when he chooses to go down the quick and easy path, and finally succumbs to the Emperor and the Dark Side of the Force! That is when, "the good man that was your father was destroyed, he ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader."

So here's another chance for Lucas to save these movies, let's hope he's paying as much attention as we are!

2-1B
01-06-2004, 01:08 PM
Um, yes we have seen what Ani wears in Episode 3 and it's not that getup which 'Bas Shaw wore in ROTJ.

The 'Xir
01-06-2004, 01:17 PM
OK OK we haven't seen all of it then, and sorry because I don't subscribe to Hyperspace, so I'm out of the loop! Actually I can't even remember the last time I was on the official site! :crazed:

B'Omarr Monkey
01-06-2004, 05:57 PM
I'm not losing sleep over it, but I definitely think that Ben was wearing Tatooine-style clothing. Several Cantina aliens wear similar gear, and I assume they aren't Jedi. Wuher's wearing the shirt, Owen's clothes are pretty similar, and even Luke's Tatooine outfit is cut sumilarly to what we've grown accustomed to as Jedi clothing.

The robes seem really impractical. Seeing Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan swimming in those heavy robes made me cringe. Obi-Wan flying his starfighter wearing them makes me wonder how much time he spent adjusting his robes so he could sit comfortably inside that small cockpit without them bunching up around him. I always thought that something closer to what Luke was wearing in ROTJ (though perhaps not so Dark Side of the Force influenced) would be more practical, or even something based more on Samurai wear, since that appears to be what Lucas was basing the Jedi on in the first place.

InsaneJediGirl
01-07-2004, 07:37 AM
He wasn't going to appear naked.

Awww,why not?Nudist spirit fun ;) :crazed:

I dont mind the Jedi Robe designs at all.As far Ben,I always thought he just wore a Jedi cloak the his pants and shirt to look more like locals.Out in the desert,everyone is going to wear thick clothing for sand and sun protection.

B'Omarr Monkey
01-07-2004, 09:48 AM
I agree about the practicality in the desert, but why do all the Jedi (for the most part [Aayla Secura clearly is just showing off her abs]) wear them, including Oppo Rancisis who has a snake body. On a jungle, forest, or mountainous planet they'd be real impractical, snagging on trees, bushes, and briars, or causing you to trip and fall down a steep incline while climbing.

I still think it was lazy designing. Lazy in the sense that nobody sat down and watched the original trilogy again before embarking on the new ones. I think this is why we have so many weird continuity errors that everyone complains about. I still say they weren't originally intended to be Ben's Jedi robes, but his practical Tatooine, protective desert wear.

sith_killer_99
01-07-2004, 01:19 PM
I still say they weren't originally intended to be Ben's Jedi robes, but his practical Tatooine, protective desert wear.

If that's the case then why is the ghost of Anakin wearing similar robes in ROTJ? Hmmm :confused: Very confusing.

B'Omarr Monkey
01-07-2004, 08:07 PM
Hey, I stand by what I said. Someone else's mistake doesn't invalidate my theory. Maybe Anakin stole those from Owen when he waltzed off with 3PO, he probably took the bike (which is why Luke didn't have it to race around on) and borrowed money he didn't pay back either. No wonder he became the Emperor's right hand man.

jedi master sal
01-09-2004, 01:56 PM
Several Cantina aliens wear similar gear, and I assume they aren't Jedi. Wuher's wearing the shirt, Owen's clothes are pretty similar, and even Luke's Tatooine outfit is cut sumilarly to what we've grown accustomed to as Jedi clothing.

Yeah, you can custom a Wuher, Shistavenen(sp?) wolfman, Tessek, even an Ishi Tib figure to look like a Jedi. Basically just add a brown cloak and a lightsaber, and bing bang boom instant Jedi. In the case of Tessek just and down that waistband protective gear thingy.

good shot jansen
01-09-2004, 03:01 PM
the robes seem more provincial than anything else. not too many robe wear'ers wandering the canyons of courscent, but in the outer rim, everyone seems to be wearing them. jawas for example, they're all wearing brown robes.

possibly jedi's take an oath of poverty, kinda like monks when they join up, and the robes are nothing more than a symbol of humility.

i wouldn't read too much into the robe thing.

if we want to think about clothes and continuity, what the hell were ben and yoda thinkin' when they start to tell luke all the deep dark secrets of the force and his family lineage in rotj while he's donned in those obviously sith influenced duds :eek:

y'd think warning bells would have gone off big time. it's not like skywalkers turning over to the dark side had ever happened before or anything....... :rolleyes:

something had to be brewin' in that boys harmones for him to decide that menacing black fashions were the look of a jedi :Pirate:

mabudonicus
01-14-2004, 08:33 AM
Did Lucas pay us enough, as fans, to do his work for him???ESPECIALLY when he makes it so difficult??? No.....

Anyways, here goes.... See, at the time of TPM, there was a clothing designer called Tah-mee hill f'gar.... it was the sort of sensible, cool looking and overall comfortable fashion that folks from 8 to 80 could all feel hip wearing.... some folks, like Obi Wan, replaced their whole wardrobes with the smart brown cloaks and cream coloured tunics... when the republic collapsed, many of the trendy designers went with it, but tah-mee had enough goods in the system at the time to continue distributing them to less fortunate planets... tatooine, f'rinstance, recieved a whole frigate full of fashions in all sizes, and after all the blood was shed, most of the remaining inhabitants were indistinguishable from one another....

Obiwan, upon arriving on the planet to spend the rest of his years in exile, was afforded the ironic comfort that his all-time favourite fashion would, in fact be the best disguise, and that at least he would be exiled in STYLE.....

Anakin was pictured wearing the garments for Legal reasons, and also with the hope of getting a nostalgia-inspired pop from some of the older people in the audience who remembered such things (it's the same as when a film is set in the 70's and young kids with wild hair air-guitar over "born to be wild")

Or it was just another bad decision from GL.... either way, my explanations are good