PDA

View Full Version : Lines that should have been cut from the movie.

CropDuster
01-06-2004, 12:13 AM
Lines that should have been cut from the movie: All of meesaJarJarBinks' lines. And, while we're at it BlobNass' lines.

JediTricks
01-06-2004, 03:17 AM
All of them. Oh, and my sig line refers to one particularly poor line: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?p=275973

B'Omarr Monkey
01-06-2004, 06:02 PM
Definitely the "Are you an angel?" line from TPM and all of the elevator exchange between Obi-Wan and Anakin in AOTC that didn't have to do with Anakin's jitters about seeing Padme. "You got yourself into that nightmare..."

In a nitpicky way, I always found it distracting to here Greedo's dialogue from ANH reused during the 1st Jabba's palace scene in ROTJ.

CropDuster
01-07-2004, 12:13 AM
I agree with you B-monkey;
and JT, the Ron Popeil infomercial analogy is priceless, that has to be THE funniest reply ever posted on this or any other forum.

JediTricks
01-07-2004, 12:57 AM
Thank you, thank you. :D

Another TPM line that really annoyed the carp out of me (and it came so early in the film that it helped set a bad tone) is Nute Gunray's "Are you brain dead?!?" That is just such a modern-day colloquialism in our society, one that's already fading away, that it feels badly out of place. It'd be like having Luke say something's "gnarly" or "rad" in ANH.

B'Omarr Monkey
01-07-2004, 09:40 AM
What about Captain Panaka's "We'll be sitting ducks!" Excuse me, "ducks?" They have ducks in the Star Wars Universe (I know there's those water birds when the sub surfaces, but I'm assuming they don't call them ducks).

Imagine if when Obi-Wan visited Dexter Jettster, this exchange had occurred:

WA-7: Can I get you anything, honey?

Obi-Wan: I'm so hungry I could eat a horse.

Darth Jax
01-08-2004, 10:51 PM
What about Captain Panaka's "We'll be sitting ducks!" Excuse me, "ducks?" They have ducks in the Star Wars Universe (I know there's those water birds when the sub surfaces, but I'm assuming they don't call them ducks).

ben mentions ducks in his talks with luke in a version of the ANH novelization. somewhere there's a thread that discusses that.

'are you brain dead?' isn't nearly as bad as 'thats gotta hurt' from TPM. what was nice about the OT is the absence of colloquial phrases.

JediTricks
01-09-2004, 12:43 AM
For a second, I didn't realize which line you meant, but finally figured out it's the podrace announcer's horrible: "I don't care what universe you're from, that's gotta hurt!" (Was it "universe" or "dimension"? I don't remember and it's not in the script. Anyway, everything with Fode & Beed was pretty horrible, so I had sorta blocked it all out together, but yeah, that's a line that should have been removed.

jeddah
01-09-2004, 11:38 AM
Why can't there be ducks if there are humans?

In an infinite Universe, there are infinite possibilities. So much so that there will be a planet somewhere that is inhabited solely by ducks and humans lol (where's that dayum philosophical smiley when ya need it?)

jeddah

El Chuxter
01-09-2004, 12:34 PM
In the same vein as "Are you brain dead?" (or, more accurately, "Ah yoo bwain dead?") is "How wude!"

Everything spoken by Fode and Beed.

"Mom, you say what's wrong the galaxy today is that people don't help each other," or whatever. I expect a canned audience to say "Awwwww" after that garbage every time.

Especially bad is "Weesa goin' home!" Aside from being a stupid Jar Jar line, it's completely and totally pointless.

On the other hand, I think this exchange should've remained (especially since "Are you an angel?" didn't get cut):
"I'm going to marry you someday."
"You can't marry me. You're just a little boy."
"I won't always be."

And as for ducks. . . There are humans, ducks (as seen and referred to on Naboo, also referred to in the ANH novelization), horses and ponies (seen in Naboo statuary and in the Ewok movies), dogs (referred to in the ANH novelization), and probably lots of other terrestrial aminals. The Official Site has an informative and amusing Databank Entry (http://www.starwars.com/databank/creature/duck/index.html) about ducks. I especially love the "production sketch" of a duck (http://www.starwars.com/databank/creature/duck/img/bts_bg.jpg). :D

bobafrett
01-09-2004, 12:45 PM
It's been so long since I sat through the whole TPM movie, I just couldn't stand some of the bad dialogue in that movie, not to mention the Anakin having to be a little boy, and all the "Yippee's".

JediTricks
01-10-2004, 05:36 AM
Because the audience can't read Aurebesh when R2 is nagging Ani to go back to the hangar during the dogfight sequence AND because the line that made it work got cut, I don't think "Now THIS is podracing!" works very well at all, though if they had saved the earier line I made reference to where Ani reads R2's text and responds "I know, Artoo! This isn't Podracing!" it might have been a little better. Really though, most of cute lil orphan Ani's lines during the naboo fighter sequences should have been left on the floor.

Pendo
01-10-2004, 12:21 PM
"Yippeeeeeeeeeee"

"Maxi big da force"

"Usa guys bombad"

"Are you an angel?"

"I'm a Person and my name is Anakin"

"No THIS is podracing"

I'll probably think of some more soon :)

PENDO!

Darth Kirk
02-10-2004, 10:35 PM
I don't know, I guess evertime those droids said "Roger, roger." It was cool at first, but after awhile, it does get a little annoying.. :mad:

JediTricks
02-12-2004, 06:45 PM
That one did bug me too, and when they did their "uh oh" cartoony stuff.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-14-2004, 08:37 AM
I'm surprised no one's said anything about midichlorians. After all we learned about the Force in the Classic trilogy, we all seemed to mimic Anakin's query "What are midichlorians?" :confused:

That shameless product plug when Captain Panaka gets the comm message and feels the need to spray his breath before speaking. Then he actually tells the audience what product he just used! "Binaca." ;)

Jar Jar's "My give up" is bad, too.

Turbowars
06-06-2004, 07:00 PM
How about, "I hate sand, it's rough, coarse and it gets everywhere":stupid:

All the dialog when Annie is in the room while Padme is packing. Oh and that's another thing, why would she be packing her own stuff?

Another is, " at least we have R2 with us, HeHeheHehhehElOloL.:stupid: :rolleyes: It makes me sick.

Now I wont even go into the stupid, "I'd be too afraid to make fun of a senator." crap.:speech:

Darth Jax
06-06-2004, 07:43 PM
How about, "I hate sand, it's rough, coarse and it gets everywhere":stupid:

All the dialog when Annie is in the room while Padme is packing. Oh and that's another thing, why would she be packing her own stuff?

Another is, " at least we have R2 with us, HeHeheHehhehElOloL.:stupid: :rolleyes: It makes me sick.

Now I wont even go into the stupid, "I'd be too afraid to make fun of a senator." crap.:speech:

Turbo shouldn't those go in the ep. 2 thread, dude.

but really what lines from any of the movies couldn't have been better

Turbowars
06-06-2004, 10:15 PM
opps, sorry I didn't see it was limited to EP1.:ermm: :nerv:

chrisc
06-10-2004, 02:35 PM
duhh mesa a dummy

JediTricks
06-10-2004, 08:14 PM
"I'm a person and my name is Anakin."

Yeesh, my mother still quotes that one from time to time because it's delivered so poorly.