PDA

View Full Version : It ain't like dustin' crops, boy!

stillakid
01-07-2004, 11:10 AM
Luke was a moisture farmer. What would they be dusting?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-07-2004, 11:43 AM
Maybe Han didn't know that Luke was a moisture farmer, maybe he just suspected he was a farmer of some sort.

Oh no, Stilla, you've found a possible problem in Lucas' writing in the classic Trilogy!! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

stillakid
01-07-2004, 02:06 PM
Maybe Han didn't know that Luke was a moisture farmer, maybe he just suspected he was a farmer of some sort.

Oh no, Stilla, you've found a possible problem in Lucas' writing in the classic Trilogy!! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Tryin' to be fair and balanced. :) But for the record, ANH was also written by Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz. Empire and ROTJ were written by Lawrence Kasdan. As far as I know, the only produced screenplays that George ever did solo were THX-1138 and TPM. Presumably he had help on AOTC, but I doubt that Jonathan Hales as much autonomy to alter George's work as did the others.

2-1B
01-07-2004, 02:07 PM
Actually that ANH writing credit should go to Bill Huyck and Gloria Katz who also gave us Howard the Duck, Radioland Murders, and Temple of Doom. lol

Seriously though, I never liked that line either. Oh, I don't think it fails to make sense within the story line, all Han knows is that Luke thought he wasn't "such a bad pilot himself" and given his assumption that Luke was a farmer of some kind . . . well it's not a bad analogy.

I just never liked that line because of how cheesy it sounds and because of Harry's goofy delivery. :)

edit: stillakid snuck his post in before me. :)

bobafrett
01-07-2004, 02:10 PM
I don't know, I kinda liked the line. But I never thought about the fact that Luke is a moisture farmer, and there aren't a whole lot of crops on his Uncles estate, unless sand is a crop. Of course now Owen and Beru have been reduced to fertilizer.

stillakid
01-07-2004, 02:29 PM
Actually that ANH writing credit should go to Bill Huyck and Gloria Katz who also gave us Howard the Duck, Radioland Murders, and Temple of Doom. lol:)

...and American Graffiti! :)

But you have to admit, Howard didn't suffer so much from it's writing than from the concept itself. George gave them this character who was born as essentially unlikable. I'm sure Huyck and Katz did what they could with it, but it's hard to polish a turd.

Radioland Murders wasn't all that bad either. Trying to capture a "genre."

I'd put those two above into the same category as Willow...a sickly sweet attempt at capturing "lore" which doesn't quite payoff. The common thread there is Lucasfilm.

As far as Temple of Doom goes, certainly the writing wasn't bad. Maybe the overall plot concept wasn't a favorite, but if you get over that, the characters and dialogue hold up pretty well. Plus, we can thank it for giving us PG-13! :)

unless sand is a crop.

Mud farmers.

2-1B
01-07-2004, 04:34 PM
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come off so cocky . . . well Howard the Duck is pretty lame, no doubt there but it's still a "fun" movie from what I remember (it's been many years since I watched it).

Radioland Murders, I actually rented it last year for the first time and I enjoyed it somewhat. Not great but it was interesting to watch.

Temple of Doom, now that's a great movie ! It's actually my favorite of the Indy Trilogy.

I guess my point I was trying to make was that all 3 of these are not very well received on the whole (with Temple of Doom, it seems to be the least favorite of many fans).

:)

stillakid
01-07-2004, 04:44 PM
I guess my point I was trying to make was that all 3 of these are not very well received on the whole (with Temple of Doom, it seems to be the least favorite of many fans).

Point taken and I understand entirely. :) But there's a difference between a writer who originates the work and the one who is brought in to work on something that somebody else dreamed up. If the concept blows or is weak from the get-go, it's not going to go far without changing the original concept in some way. If the concept is pretty good, then a decent writer should be able to construct an enjoyable story atop that foundation. For the most part, I think that Huyck, Katz, and Kasdan have done pretty well in that department as writers. American Graffiti, though definitely innovative for its time, had a solid base to work with. Star Wars, too, was out of the ordinary, but it rested atop some very fundamental story elements which worked well within the concepts of production design that George wanted to accomplish. Howard the Duck suffered from a range of obstacles, not the least of which was the suspension of disbelief in this rather goofy looking lead character. Maybe if "realized" differently, the movie might have been received a little better.

But back to the crops thing, I too am sure that Han's line was just meant as a quick throwaway on his part and had nothing to do with the way Lucas imagined the farmlife on Tatooine to be. I just thought it was funny. :D

2-1B
01-07-2004, 11:21 PM
Well, in AOTC Shmi goes off to pick the mushrooms which grow on the vaporators . . . maybe the 'shrooms need a good spraying of pesticides ? lol

Maybe Luke's T-16 is really meant as a crop duster, he just squanders his time bullseyeing wamprats ? ? ?

Okay, nevermind. lol